collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 406757 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2580 on: January 21, 2022, 02:10:59 PM »
Oh how eye-sizzlingly bright Movie Star Shady is! I hope to see her IP someday, but that's not likely to happen.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2581 on: January 21, 2022, 03:27:22 PM »
I love the glittering shs and the prom queens, also. I wish we'd had the prom queens here. Even though, culturally speaking, it wouldn't have made any sense at the time of the release.

They could have always changed the name to something more culturally relevant since a prom is just a fancy dance and I'm sure there's some kind of fancy dances you have over there.

Mm. Ballroom SHS maybe? The thing is that we do have proms, now, with graduation at secondary school. My sister had a prom. I didn't. So it kind of happened some time between 1998 and 2003 ish? But they could have been marketed as ballroom SHS, you're right.

On the regular versions of the so softs - it only applies to some of the characters, and they're not all movie star ponies, officially. The movie star ones are Buttons, Shady, Gusty, Magic Star, Wind Whistler and North Star. Truly and Cupcake also exist but came in a different set, that was sold in Scandinavia and South Africa but not in the UK or most of Europe.

There is a Brazilian version of Twist (albeit without a horn) without flocking. But the later 2 sets of SS ponies don't have regular versions.

They all came out in 87. I think some of the Movie Stars appeared in the UK in late 1987, but they're officially on the Hasbro list for 1987.

I still consider the SS the variants. Can't help it, it's what I grew up with.

I wouldn't deflock a good ss pony either. But I do own some deflocks, one or two which were done by a lovely person here, and a couple of others from ebay I think. All from damaged SSs. I think I have Ribbon, Twilight, Fifi and Hippety Hop without fur.

Another unpopular opinion coming up but I wish that the Movie Star set had used Ribbon not Gusty. I think that was the original intention, although I can't prove it, because the club art for that year has Ribbon instead of Gusty included with the others from the set. But she never happened.

I don't suppose it's an unpopular opinion that I also wish they made the Paradise that was projected for the UK PE release.

@LAW, I wish you could too. That Shady was such a favourite of mine as a kid :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 03:30:25 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: January 22, 2022, 05:35:45 AM »
They should have had both Custy AND Ribbon tbh, especially as we had Baby Ribbon as well as Baby Gusty in our Play & Care sets (would have made sense to release the mums to go with the babies)
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: January 22, 2022, 12:13:28 PM »
They should have had both Custy AND Ribbon tbh, especially as we had Baby Ribbon as well as Baby Gusty in our Play & Care sets (would have made sense to release the mums to go with the babies)

...And Heart Throb??

I would not have wanted to sacrifice Shady for her.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: January 22, 2022, 02:49:29 PM »

...And Heart Throb??

I would not have wanted to sacrifice Shady for her.
SDon't blame you tbh, our Shady is gorgeous!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: January 23, 2022, 01:13:12 AM »
So, yesterday i watched the G5 film. I wasn't very fond of the toys but being aware they mostly depend on the film as a starting point I decided to reserve judgement until I saw it by myself.

...that said, I did not enjoy it at all. Overall it felt like a very watered down version of FiM, and I didn't like FiM to begin with, so...  :P

I like to pride myself in finding good things in mediocre children's media, but this ain't it chief.

...I do like Izzy Moonbow a bit, tho. I can vibe with her hippie artistic personality. Again, not digging the toys of her but... maybe I could find a purple unicorn with blue hair in some other generation and declare it an acceptable substitute  ;)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: January 23, 2022, 09:36:46 AM »
So, yesterday i watched the G5 film. I wasn't very fond of the toys but being aware they mostly depend on the film as a starting point I decided to reserve judgement until I saw it by myself.

...that said, I did not enjoy it at all. Overall it felt like a very watered down version of FiM, and I didn't like FiM to begin with, so...  :P

I like to pride myself in finding good things in mediocre children's media, but this ain't it chief.

...I do like Izzy Moonbow a bit, tho. I can vibe with her hippie artistic personality. Again, not digging the toys of her but... maybe I could find a purple unicorn with blue hair in some other generation and declare it an acceptable substitute  ;)

You mean like G1 Buttons (non TAF version), who also has buttons as a symbol?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 09:38:33 AM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: January 23, 2022, 12:39:16 PM »

Yeah!! Is she pink or purple tho?? Card art shows her as purple but I see her toy pictures as pink. Is it the lighting?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: January 23, 2022, 03:31:33 PM »

Yeah!! Is she pink or purple tho?? Card art shows her as purple but I see her toy pictures as pink. Is it the lighting?

She's pink.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: January 23, 2022, 04:21:23 PM »

She's pink.

The so-soft version I have is actually purple underneath the flocking.  I've never seen the "Movie" (non-flocked UK) version so I'm not sure of the actual color.  But a de-flocked Buttons should be purple, barring any discoloration due to age.  Or maybe mine is purple because it's discolored?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 04:23:09 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: January 23, 2022, 04:47:28 PM »
She straddles the line between pink and purple, but possibly a shade more to the pink in my opinion. Talking about the Movie star version at least. I can't get at my SS to check, I've never deflocked one either, since it seemed a bit pointless xD.

Bearing in mind there are 2 Movie star versions, one with the large buttons and one with the small buttons and stars.

The Movie Stars also aren't automatically the exact same shade under the fur as the SS ones are, in part probably because they were produced in different years and for different markets. SS Wind Whistler is a much more vivid blue under her flocking than the Movie Star, who is pastel, just as one example.

"Non Taf version" is just as awful a moniker as non-sosoft version, btw. In fact, possibly worse given that the Movie Star came first. Maybe we can just generalise her as 'regular' Buttons instead?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: January 23, 2022, 07:09:39 PM »
I didn't know there were symbol variants Taffeta.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: January 24, 2022, 12:16:53 AM »
Yep, there are :)
Both are pictured here
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/buttons.htm
although they're also probably on the wiki.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: January 24, 2022, 07:33:09 AM »
Yep, there are :)
Both are pictured here
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/buttons.htm
although they're also probably on the wiki.

Neat. Thanks.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: January 24, 2022, 12:59:37 PM »
I love unconventional symbols (Star Hopper, Alphabittle) but I don't shy away from more classical ones. The right color scheme can make a pony really pop out, like Heart Throb! I find her "simple", but well executed: pink on pink and winged hearts works for a Valentine-themed pony, and making her a pegasus ties with her symbol and rounds the whole thing together. I love designs like that.

This is a good analysis! There is something impressive about those simple designs that get it "just right". I think Posey is another one example where the design elements come together very well (she's popular for a reason!)

Also, I've decided baby ponies are not for me, doesn't matter the generation. I prefer adult proportions better.

While I like baby ponies a lot, I do find the G1 babies difficult to collect in a satisfying manner. I love the early idea of babies being smaller versions of certain adult ponies, but it makes me feel compelled to complete the pairs even if I wouldn't have wanted to get the other pony otherwise (especially if it's a baby missing its mom). Plus sometimes either the mom or the baby is HTF/expensive, and I don't want a huge collection in the end. The baby accessories are also super cute, but can be a pain to find and complete the sets. Then there's all those weird gimmicks so many baby sets have. As a result of all this, few babies end up staying in my collection. :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal