collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 407903 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2550 on: November 10, 2021, 06:51:50 PM »
Let's see...

I like flocked ponies. I know they can be disasters if they're not taken care of but something about them works for me. I'd love to try making my own someday.

I don't care for the sister style bodies (are we still calling them that?) The longer legs just make me think of other toy lines.

Don't care for G4. It's not for me. I pretty much exist in G1 world though a few g2s and g3s are appealing to me.

Wish I could say I don't get the hype for certain ponies but I REALLY want Icy Crystal haha I know mimic is always fluxing price wise. Not sure who else is coveted RN aside from Punz (though I know a lot of people don't care for her anymore)

I'm excited about the idea of new classic style ponies although I'm not sure yet how I feel about reproducing the old ones. I can see this causing issues with honesty during sales and I'd much rather see new fun ideas. The old line was limited by what they thought was marketable to little girls at the time but now there's a chance to expand since I think G1 is largely older fans or younger people who picked it up from older fans etc.

Probably not unpopular but I don't like the hard plastic types of toys that are super popular right now will all kinds of toy lines.

Some people have done flocked customs on here.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,401438.0.html
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Cobblestone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: November 10, 2021, 07:02:34 PM »
Let's see...

I like flocked ponies. I know they can be disasters if they're not taken care of but something about them works for me. I'd love to try making my own someday.

I don't care for the sister style bodies (are we still calling them that?) The longer legs just make me think of other toy lines.

Don't care for G4. It's not for me. I pretty much exist in G1 world though a few g2s and g3s are appealing to me.

Wish I could say I don't get the hype for certain ponies but I REALLY want Icy Crystal haha I know mimic is always fluxing price wise. Not sure who else is coveted RN aside from Punz (though I know a lot of people don't care for her anymore)

I'm excited about the idea of new classic style ponies although I'm not sure yet how I feel about reproducing the old ones. I can see this causing issues with honesty during sales and I'd much rather see new fun ideas. The old line was limited by what they thought was marketable to little girls at the time but now there's a chance to expand since I think G1 is largely older fans or younger people who picked it up from older fans etc.

Probably not unpopular but I don't like the hard plastic types of toys that are super popular right now will all kinds of toy lines.

Some people have done flocked customs on here.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,401438.0.html
Oh wow!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
On a quest for breyer dapples

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2552 on: November 11, 2021, 01:42:34 AM »
The BF retro ponies aren't really identical to their G1 counterparts, but even if they were, their hooves are marked with Basic FUn and the date, so it's not really so easy to scam someone out of something. If someone's selling a pony and it's not clear, it should be possible to ask for the hoof markings.

The BF release finally brought Medley, Glory etc to the UK after a very long wait (we've been waiting for them since the 1980s, when they wrote them into our comics but didn't sell them here). Whatever happens with the rest of the release, I'm happy with what we've had because of that.

But my unpopular opinion is that I don't think we need them to make every existing G1 pony. And I don't care if we get Mimic and company in the slightest. I'd genuinely rather have Powder and Skyflier and that's 100%.

I didn't grow up with SS ponies, they didn't exist here, so I will always consider the movie star versions the original versions of the characters who exist in both forms. But I do love the SS ponies. If you get a nice one, they are gorgeous :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: November 11, 2021, 07:07:05 AM »
Yeah the repros aren't exact 1:1 replicas:

(80s, 2007, 2017 Basic Fun)

The ones I was really worried would get mistaken for the originals were the small accessories like the pets, but that turned out to be a moot point since the repro pets used Strawberry Shortcake molds instead. (at least Twinkles did... which was the playset they cancelled, was it the Show Stable w/ Brandy?)

I'm not that bothered about them remaking Every Single G1 Ever, either. I'd rather have something completely new :B But I do love the Basic Funs and I'm happy they exist, I just wish their distribution wasn't so messed-up. I never did find the Bow-Tie wave :(

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: November 11, 2021, 08:02:58 AM »
I only saw the Bow Tie wave in stores here in Sutton and Epsom. Literally just those two places down when I lived in South London. And I think Bow Tie I only saw in Epsom. My sister bought one online, but I bought one when I was down there in January 2020, which was the last time I was back in the area.

Even the other toymasters around that area, plus the John Lewis stores, didn't have them.

I've never seen them up here in the midlands. Nor have I seen the CJ wave here, but I've not been out into town for a while thanks to COVID.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Cobblestone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: November 11, 2021, 09:02:39 AM »
I’m glad they’re stamped that’s going to help!
On a quest for breyer dapples

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: November 11, 2021, 09:42:47 AM »
The BF retro ponies aren't really identical to their G1 counterparts, but even if they were, their hooves are marked with Basic FUn and the date, so it's not really so easy to scam someone out of something. If someone's selling a pony and it's not clear, it should be possible to ask for the hoof markings.

The BF release finally brought Medley, Glory etc to the UK after a very long wait (we've been waiting for them since the 1980s, when they wrote them into our comics but didn't sell them here). Whatever happens with the rest of the release, I'm happy with what we've had because of that.

But my unpopular opinion is that I don't think we need them to make every existing G1 pony. And I don't care if we get Mimic and company in the slightest. I'd genuinely rather have Powder and Skyflier and that's 100%.

I didn't grow up with SS ponies, they didn't exist here, so I will always consider the movie star versions the original versions of the characters who exist in both forms. But I do love the SS ponies. If you get a nice one, they are gorgeous :)

I want Basic Fun to make Glow n Shows. I never did find Star Glow all those years ago, and I ain't paying her ebay prices. They're *drumrolls* astronomical.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 11:10:11 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: November 11, 2021, 03:05:02 PM »

I want Basic Fun to make Glow n Shows. I never did find Star Glow all those years ago, and I ain't paying her ebay prices. They're *drumrolls* astronomical.

*throws fakies*
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: November 11, 2021, 03:06:08 PM »

*throws fakies*

:bolt:

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: November 11, 2021, 03:17:33 PM »

*throws fakies*

Ah come on, do you think you're gonna get away with a cheesy joke like that without a fakie or two? :P

On topic, I feel like probably the glowing ponies are more fiddly to make and obviously like Mimic the bases are expensive. They do have the poses for Happyglow and Dazzleglow already mind you.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: November 11, 2021, 03:43:53 PM »

*throws fakies*

Ah come on, do you think you're gonna get away with a cheesy joke like that without a fakie or two? :P

On topic, I feel like probably the glowing ponies are more fiddly to make and obviously like Mimic the bases are expensive. They do have the poses for Happyglow and Dazzleglow already mind you.

Well I was hoping to, but you've foiled my plans. :silly:

I'm sure they probably would be difficult to make, but there's no harm in dreaming. :good:

Offline Queen Sophie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Shy Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: November 25, 2021, 06:13:24 PM »
As much I love all gens, I’m liking g5 more than g4! But that’s not 100% official cause it just started
:frolic:

Offline SweetNightmare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*uᴥu *•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*
    • View Profile
    • My Carrd.co
« Reply #2562 on: November 27, 2021, 01:45:36 PM »
I may get some hate for this one but unfortunately I feel like collecting G1's is the least fun and the hardest compared to other gens.
I feel like it may be more to my location (probably the generation 1 was the least available here so not many people had them and even less people have them still) as well as the fact that I just recently started seriously collecting so now there's not as much toys going around as there was a couple years ago.

Finding G1's locally is hard enough, finding them at decent price is even harder and then trying to actually buy them from the sellers...
For some reason a lot of the sellers that list G1's happen to not be pleasant and often enough I will go empty handed because they just are not willing to sell them for whatever reason. And honestly every time I managed to order a lot with G1's in it I stress out if the seller will even send the package to me (sometimes at the last second they cancel my order).
It only seems to be the issue with this generation specifically (similar situations happened with different gens but maybe once or twice).
Just the whole issue kinda sours my experience with this generation and makes me feel a bit upset :sad:

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚visitors can't see pics , please register or login
˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

My Checklist || My Wishlist || My Carrd.co
Signature by  starscout

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: November 27, 2021, 02:33:25 PM »
You are not kidding on gen on ponies I dont see them here in the states often and most of the auctions go for outrageous amounts.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: November 27, 2021, 02:39:57 PM »
Honestly - as a lifelong G1 collector - I can understand that perspective.

If I didn't grow up with G1 and collect them when they were common and easy to get at second hand sales, I probably wouldn't have so many now. 90% of my G1 collection - in terms of actual ponies - was put together before 2001. So yeah.

I think selling and buying in general was better back when Ebay was predominately private people selling stuff and more geared up to people selling to other collectors rather than some random person who found a pony in their attic and want 300$ for it even though it's dog eared and broken.

I can't speak for any local experiences you might have, but online sellers shipping internationally has always been an issue and there have always been people who will somehow find a way to make it your fault that you happen to live overseas. It is more complicated than it used to be to ship overseas, which hasn't helped, but the attitude sometimes people give over it is...a shame.

I actually don't know what G1s were or were not sold in your part of Europe, and I'm not sure if anyone's done any serious research into it. That may be a factor though. But there is also a culture of overpricing, usually by people who don't know what they are selling and want to make a quick profit.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal