collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404598 times)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2520 on: September 25, 2021, 11:13:11 AM »
I don't like G4 very much, they look very deformed. And Rapunzel, I also don't get what all the fuss is about. Her tinsel doesn't match her hair at all!
Also, does anyone else think that if G2 had looked more like the Sweetheart Sister Ponies, it'd be better? Not that it's bad or that I hate it, but I just really love the Sweetheart Sister molds.
I think something like a SHS head on a G2 body would be nice.  I really like the G2 legs, but not their heads so much.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: September 25, 2021, 11:22:31 AM »
I don't like G4 very much, they look very deformed. And Rapunzel, I also don't get what all the fuss is about. Her tinsel doesn't match her hair at all!
Also, does anyone else think that if G2 had looked more like the Sweetheart Sister Ponies, it'd be better? Not that it's bad or that I hate it, but I just really love the Sweetheart Sister molds.
I think something like a SHS head on a G2 body would be nice.  I really like the G2 legs, but not their heads so much.

That might look a bit strange. Well you could always head swap  just to see how it looks?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: September 25, 2021, 08:23:24 PM »
I suspect Wardah's post is actually not an unpopular opinion, but I pretty much feel the opposite. FOr me the joy of collecting is tracking down those items and finding them for as good a price as possible.

Oh I'm not saying there's no thrill of the hunt, and finding a rare pony for an affordable price is always exciting. I just mean that a high price tag doesn't make it more special.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: September 27, 2021, 02:00:27 AM »
I'm gonna ruffle feathers with this one. It already irritates me that people are calling these ponies, the new Pinkie Pie, Rainbowdash, etc. They're character archetypes that we've seen throughout the series, sure. Patch,  Wind Whistler,  G3 Pinkie Pie, G3 Minty, Bright Eyes, Truly and so on. But how about we not fall into recent, short-sighted views of everything being a Mane Six knock off,  and let them be who they are. Their own characters.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 02:30:16 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: September 27, 2021, 08:29:32 AM »
I'm gonna ruffle feathers with this one. It already irritates me that people are calling these ponies, the new Pinkie Pie, Rainbowdash, etc. They're character archetypes that we've seen throughout the series, sure. Patch,  Wind Whistler,  G3 Pinkie Pie, G3 Minty, Bright Eyes, Truly and so on. But how about we not fall into recent, short-sighted views of everything being a Mane Six knock off,  and let them be who they are. Their own characters.
OMG yep!!! Say it louder for the people in the back!!! Sunny is no TS. TS was a clumsy oaf who couldn't skate (winter wrap-up) while Sunny skates all the time. Izzy has some things in common with Pinkie Pie, others in common with Rarity, & yet more in common with neither. Each character is her own Pony. Even G1 Minty & G3 Minty are different characters (though in my Ponyworld they're mother & daughter), so we need to accept each new character as just that: a new character.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: September 27, 2021, 09:18:56 AM »
I've decided that BBEs may not be so scary looking in person as I originally thought, now that I own one. Plus mine has the benefit of no pony mohawk,  and only a smidgen of eye rust on the top lid. She's not mint,  but she's in pretty nice shape. Dunno if that's her correct color,  or if she's discolored?

ETA:
I take it back. Frosting and Ribbon are the only ones that don't freak me out.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 11:54:30 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: September 27, 2021, 11:13:58 PM »
OMG yep!!! Say it louder for the people in the back!!! Sunny is no TS. TS was a clumsy oaf who couldn't skate (winter wrap-up) while Sunny skates all the time. Izzy has some things in common with Pinkie Pie, others in common with Rarity, & yet more in common with neither. Each character is her own Pony. Even G1 Minty & G3 Minty are different characters (though in my Ponyworld they're mother & daughter), so we need to accept each new character as just that: a new character.

Ahhhh so glad to see people saying this, I am already tired of people saying Zipp is the new Rainbow Dash and Izzy is the new Pinkie Pie... They are not that similar at all, imo! Sure they have some things in common but they really are all new characters.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2527 on: September 28, 2021, 07:22:47 AM »

Ahhhh so glad to see people saying this, I am already tired of people saying Zipp is the new Rainbow Dash and Izzy is the new Pinkie Pie... They are not that similar at all, imo! Sure they have some things in common but they really are all new characters.

I'll hold up my hands and admit that based on the trailer, that was my impression. I've only watched half of the actual special as yet, but I am actually relieved that they're not as much like the G4 characters as the trailer suggested.

Which is a relief.

Although to keep it on the unpopular opinion theme - the character profiles from the G1 animation don't concretely define the personalities of G1 ponies. So it's easy to compare G5 to G4 because the only other character archetypes in MLP are from a handful of scattered G3 specials. Which for G1 isn't the case, as there are multiple character options available for those releases that G4 and G5 just won't have.

I get really tied of seeing people talk about the personalities from the G1 animation as though they're canon (whether it be a brony or whoever), when G1 doesn't have a fixed canon for stuff like that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 07:28:11 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: September 28, 2021, 10:46:40 AM »
I know,  I'm just saying that every single pony that was ever given characterization of some sort, be it in a back card, animation, or a book, is still their own character. Even if some traits overlap with another's character. The same rings true for any character in any medium really.

I mean, when I first saw Gojo- sensei in Jujutsu Kaisen,with his spiky gray hair and covered eyes, I thought he was a Kakashi rip-off. But he turned out to be this loveable dork, who hides his cleverness behind the veneer of a flake.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 10:54:30 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: September 28, 2021, 01:55:12 PM »
I know,  I'm just saying that every single pony that was ever given characterization of some sort, be it in a back card, animation, or a book, is still their own character. Even if some traits overlap with another's character. The same rings true for any character in any medium really.

True enough, although the G4 ponies did become more kind of shoehorned into their single characteristic a bit...maybe because of their elements of harmony.

But I just am so over people defining G1 by the animated series. There's nothing wrong with the series, and it didn't used to matter to me. But I think it was when the bronies started doing it and calling Tales ponies G2 because of the animation and such. And talking about Majesty or the TE ponies in canon terms because of comic stuff they never even read, because they could tie it to Celestia or Rarity. It was just such a denial of what G1 was that it started to irk me a whole lot. G1 ponies have contrasting characteristics within the same gen because of backcards/animation/comics/stories etc. By contrast that's not true of later gen ponies.

...It doesn't really matter what the genre. Well written characters always feel fresh and a little bit innovative, even if they share character traits.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: October 02, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »
I think that G5 pegasus not being able to fly is dumb.

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: October 02, 2021, 09:40:56 PM »

I agree with you.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: October 03, 2021, 12:42:41 AM »

I agree with you.

I think it's just weird, tbh. Like I said before, it's physiological, not magical. I don't care what G4 said about it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: October 03, 2021, 05:08:15 AM »

I agree with you.

I think it's just weird, tbh. Like I said before, it's physiological, not magical. I don't care what G4 said about it.

See, I'm the opposite here. Ever since I was little it's bothered me that G1 and 3 (and 4 to a lesser extent) pegasi can fly since their wings are so small, so I've always assumed there was a magical element to pegasus flight. Child me would feel very validated ^^

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: October 03, 2021, 05:56:27 AM »

I agree with you.

See, I'm the opposite here. Ever since I was little it's bothered me that G1 and 3 (and 4 to a lesser extent) pegasi can fly since their wings are so small, so I've always assumed there was a magical element to pegasus flight. Child me would feel very validated ^^
Oh yeah, there's no way ANY of the regular pegasi in G1, 3, 4, or 5 would be able to fly without magic (I'm not too familiar with G2 wings).  Those wings are all way too small/poorly shaped).  G5 does have the "best" wings from a morphological point of view, with G4 also being somewhat good, but they are still too small.  This had bothered me since I was a kid also, so you are not alone in thinking that! G5 wings make me really happy that they are moving towards more reasonable wings.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal