collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404756 times)

Offline MouseCardinal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2505 on: September 17, 2021, 11:43:08 AM »
While the G3 ponies themselves seemed universally liked, I do remember there being some people who unfavorably compared the G3 cartoon with the original in a "cartoons were better when I was a kid. They had real conflicts and are too tame now." kind of way. But even then the conversation was kept in adult collector spaces and nobody would have commented that on a G3 video on YouTube.
Nope. No one felt the need to 'justify' G4 being sooo different by putting the previous generations down.  :huh:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Art by NanoRuby
Life, I love you, all is groovy

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: September 17, 2021, 02:51:48 PM »
@Mouse Huh?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2507 on: September 17, 2021, 03:21:31 PM »
@Mouse Huh?

I think they meant G1. But we were talking about G4 before. Given previous comments I'm guessing that anyway.

I remember when G3 came out, I remember the breath of relief that happened in the community when it did after all the ups and downs around G2. (Although I also remember some remorse over G2 stopping in the US so it had mostly calmed down by then, especially when Silverswirl came out).

Also, I'm talking about the generation, not the animation specifically. It is true that people discussed the age target for the G3 animation and concluded it was aimed at younger kids than the G1 animation. But that's not really anything to do with how people viewed G3 as a generation. Because G4 is the first and only generation to be defined by its animation output, rather than its toyline. And since most if not all the G3 animation came with toys...it's definitely not the same thing.

As G1 fans we took quite a lot of annoyance from that sector of bronies who thought they could eradicate the existing community if they shouted loud enough and made rude comments...but G3 fans and G3 ponies really did take the brunt of it (see the G4 brony documentary). I think perhaps the thing that warped everything was giving the attention to the male fans of MLP like it was something new and special when it wasn't. There have always been male pony fans right back as far as I can remember. And giving it the attention was like saying on one hand, here's this subordinate silly girl thing being made legitimate because MEN care about it! while on the other, 'look at these weird guys who like GIRL things let's make a thing about it'.

...It gave undesireable people a platform and warped a whole toyline. Not to mention I imagine made life pretty rough for the real male pony fans who aren't associated with far right groups, online grooming, explicit artwork, death threats or whatever else.

Final point, which is also probably an unpopular opinion, but FIM is not really about tolerance and acceptance, and so nor are the bronies.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: September 20, 2021, 04:07:17 PM »
I don’t really care for mimic. At first she was kind of interesting. But when I kept seeing her on eBay going for thousands on every auction she just felt less special. Even though she’s so rare and is highly wanted I don’t see what’s so special about her.

Offline DreamsofUnicorn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: September 21, 2021, 07:55:30 PM »
I don't really like Fizzy all that much and most of the other twinkle eyes are much more to my taste design wise.
Just trying to make everyone happy.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: September 23, 2021, 02:16:49 PM »
I don’t really care for mimic. At first she was kind of interesting. But when I kept seeing her on eBay going for thousands on every auction she just felt less special. Even though she’s so rare and is highly wanted I don’t see what’s so special about her.

I think Mimic is special, but I hate that she's so expensive. Not because I care what people want to pay for a pony, but because it's tainted her and made this whole thing where some folk think she's a status symbol and others have been driven away from her because of the price.

To me she's just a really pretty and uniquely coloured TE pony. She's my favourite TE, and was my first trade back in 1997, when I knew nothing about pony value and frankly could've cared less anyway. I adore the TE set overall. I'm just sad that her stupid price and all the idiocy that's happened around her since has made her such a divisive pony :/

With all that said, Tic Tac Toe has the most beautiful TE eyes of all of them. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: September 23, 2021, 02:18:00 PM »
I personally think Masquerade and Sweet Stuff have the prettiest colored TE Eyes. :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: September 23, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »
I personally think Masquerade and Sweet Stuff have the prettiest colored TE Eyes. :)

Masquerade is second. As a kid I loved her eyes and was fascinated by them. They're so greeeeeen :D Probably that's also why I rate Tic Tac Toe, as my friend had her an she was the first pony I ever saw with orange eyes.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ponyprincess2021

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: September 23, 2021, 04:53:18 PM »

I think Mimic is special, but I hate that she's so expensive. Not because I care what people want to pay for a pony, but because it's tainted her and made this whole thing where some folk think she's a status symbol and others have been driven away from her because of the price.

To me she's just a really pretty and uniquely coloured TE pony. She's my favourite TE, and was my first trade back in 1997, when I knew nothing about pony value and frankly could've cared less anyway. I adore the TE set overall. I'm just sad that her stupid price and all the idiocy that's happened around her since has made her such a divisive pony :/

With all that said, Tic Tac Toe has the most beautiful TE eyes of all of them. :)
I don’t think it’s also just her price. She does have unique colors but she just kind of exists to me like I don’t want or need her. If other people like her or purchase her it doesn’t bother me. I just wouldn’t buy her myself with the other options I could have. Like with rapunzel she’s another highly wanted and expensive pony but I wouldn’t spend time trying to get her.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:19:36 AM by ponyprincess2021 »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: September 24, 2021, 02:20:56 PM »
Mimic is better than Rapunzel.

I wouldn't have gone after Rapunzel if I didn't have the opportunity to make a good trade for her 20+ years ago. Sweet Scoops is nicer anyway. But Mimic is definitely better :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: September 24, 2021, 09:19:53 PM »
A custom of a rare pony is just as good to have as the actual rare pony.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline PrincessRoyalBlue

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: September 25, 2021, 07:34:10 AM »
I don't like G4 very much, they look very deformed. And Rapunzel, I also don't get what all the fuss is about. Her tinsel doesn't match her hair at all!
Also, does anyone else think that if G2 had looked more like the Sweetheart Sister Ponies, it'd be better? Not that it's bad or that I hate it, but I just really love the Sweetheart Sister molds.
-PrincessRoyalBlue-
May the spirit of G1 be with you!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: September 25, 2021, 08:38:41 AM »
I don't like G4 very much, they look very deformed. And Rapunzel, I also don't get what all the fuss is about. Her tinsel doesn't match her hair at all!
Also, does anyone else think that if G2 had looked more like the Sweetheart Sister Ponies, it'd be better? Not that it's bad or that I hate it, but I just really love the Sweetheart Sister molds.
I agree with this, they'd look great on SHS moulds.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 09:17:04 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: September 25, 2021, 10:52:01 AM »
I suspect Wardah's post is actually not an unpopular opinion, but I pretty much feel the opposite. FOr me the joy of collecting is tracking down those items and finding them for as good a price as possible.

I am ok with how G2 and G4 toys look. But it would be interesting to see the G2 in SHS poses.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: September 25, 2021, 11:06:54 AM »
I don't like G4 very much, they look very deformed.

I don't like their designs either.
Inka Dinka Doo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal