collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404678 times)

Offline Reena

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • Please Say Hi :)
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #855 on: February 28, 2018, 04:52:07 AM »
I just don't like G2 or G4 ponies, although I somehow appear to have quite a few G4's these days. I don't like them much, but I can't seem to leave them if I see them in charity shops...

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 28, 2018, 06:36:41 AM »
I just don't like G2 or G4 ponies, although I somehow appear to have quite a few G4's these days. I don't like them much, but I can't seem to leave them if I see them in charity shops...

Why not sell them to collectors who like them?

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 28, 2018, 09:27:32 AM »
I don't really care for Dream Castle as a playset. Though that one customizer who did hers up for the night ponies was amazing.

I never cared much for any of the playsets. I know this will sound funny to a lot of people, but I've always felt all the MLP playsets (at least for G1 & G3) are just too small. I've never seen the playsets in person, but by looking at pictures it doesn't look Dream Castle or Paradise Estate would accommodate more than a few ponies. I'd love to hear how many adult ponies fit in these playsets from those who have them. 

Even if Hasbro had cut back on playset accessories to focus on just making the playsets bigger, that would have been preferable.

I know it may not have been logistical due to costs, space, etc.... But then again even a massive cardboard castle that could have been folded/disassembled would have been cool.
G3 playsets were plenty big for me as a kid. Celebration Castle could hold 18 ponies easily, and it took up a great deal of room in my bedroom, which was in an apartment and shared with my sister.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Reena

• Fancy Pants Baby
  • Please Say Hi :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 28, 2018, 09:32:52 AM »

Not sure they are in good enough condition to be honest.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 28, 2018, 12:09:06 PM »

Not sure they are in good enough condition to be honest.

Some G4s are rare or sought after so it's always worth a try.
I sometimes do this with G2s. I find them, clean them and then I release them  ;)

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 28, 2018, 02:16:06 PM »
I've never seen Dream Castle in person, but Paradise Estate is fairly big in my opinion. I only have one third of it and it's really possible to insert a bunch of ponies in it. =D
Spoiler

G3 playsets were plenty big for me as a kid. Celebration Castle could hold 18 ponies easily, and it took up a great deal of room in my bedroom, which was in an apartment and shared with my sister.

Hmmmm... Maybe they just look small to me because I've never seen them in person, and usually when I see photos of them they're of just the playsets themselves without any ponies inside to get a feel for capacity. Now I suddenly want those playsets :)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #861 on: February 28, 2018, 02:19:28 PM »
Our attic would have the opinion they're too big. Especially that castle. :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #862 on: February 28, 2018, 03:03:54 PM »
I've never seen Dream Castle in person, but Paradise Estate is fairly big in my opinion. I only have one third of it and it's really possible to insert a bunch of ponies in it. =D
Spoiler

Hmmmm... Maybe they just look small to me because I've never seen them in person, and usually when I see photos of them they're of just the playsets themselves without any ponies inside to get a feel for capacity. Now I suddenly want those playsets :)

G3's Crystal Rainbow Castle is pretty huge! I had to reorganize my entire pony collection when I thrifted it to make room for it! I use it to display my favorite G3s that I have, here's what it looks like with a bunch of ponies on/surrounding it in my display:

Spoiler

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 28, 2018, 05:35:03 PM »
Spoiler

G3's Crystal Rainbow Castle is pretty huge! I had to reorganize my entire pony collection when I thrifted it to make room for it! I use it to display my favorite G3s that I have, here's what it looks like with a bunch of ponies on/surrounding it in my display:

Spoiler

It is big!

Post Merge: March 01, 2018, 10:50:30 AM

I love Baby Flurryheart. She is freaking adorable!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:50:30 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 04, 2018, 07:01:33 AM »
It bugs me that some fans can't wrap their brain around the fact that older ponies don't earn their symbols. They simply have them.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #865 on: April 06, 2018, 09:21:31 AM »
Ooh! Hmm...

I love BBEs. Like....I really love them. I think they're super adorable.

I adore the G3 movies. Partially because I grew up with them, I suppose, but I will still watch them occasionally. I'm well aware that the animation is terrible but I love them anyways ♡

I like the way some Nirvanas look but I don't think I'd go out of my way to get one, to be honest.

If G2s had lasted longer in the US, I guarantee they would have been my favorite gen aside from G1 and I would have grown up with them. I love everything about them.

I love G3 way more than G4. FiM is a great series but I just can't get into the style enough to collect that many of the actual ponies. With the exception of the males, they seem to have lost a lot of the equine appearance of the older gens that I adored. They kinda remind me more of deer than ponies now, hehe.

And lastly, I don't understand why a portion of the teen/adult G4 fandom either a) somehow doesn't know that there are older generations that were just as good and important or b) feel the need to make fun of them, especially in terms of the origins of the Mane 6 designs. I get it, you love FiM and the characters in it. But pretending they didn't exist before G4 is kind of silly because you can clearly see they did. Hasbro has always recycled names, designs, and personalities from one gen to the next, and G4 is no exception.

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 07, 2018, 02:30:26 AM »
It bugs me that some fans can't wrap their brain around the fact that older ponies don't earn their symbols. They simply have them.

That's why I find it annoying when newer fans mock G1 babies for having baby-themed symbols. G1 babies came in so many forms. Some are born, some are created from mirrors as the spitting image of a childless pony, some look exactly like their parents. So what.

When I was a kid I simply assumed the symbols could change over time and adjust to what the ponies enjoyed (like mood rings, lol).

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #867 on: April 07, 2018, 05:12:46 AM »

That's why I find it annoying when newer fans mock G1 babies for having baby-themed symbols. G1 babies came in so many forms. Some are born, some are created from mirrors as the spitting image of a childless pony, some look exactly like their parents. So what.

When I was a kid I simply assumed the symbols could change over time and adjust to what the ponies enjoyed (like mood rings, lol).

The difference between G1 baby ponies/symbols/etc and G4 is conformity. G4 bothered to make a rule about it, and G1 didn't.

The mocking is actually revealing about the fandom itself. If a person goes out of their way to make fun of something/someone else, especially unprovoked, it means they're not entirely secure in themselves and what they believe. While it's annoying, I mostly feel sorry for the people who feel the need to behave like that. There are plenty of G4 fans who don't, and they're the ones I hope will stick around after G4 ends.

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not, but as time goes on and G4 begins to fade a little, I feel like dividing MLP into generations needs to go back to being just a way to identify lines, and not a way to create factions. I love my G1 ponies. They're absolutely the core of my collection. But I have G2, G3 and G4 as well and I like them just fine too. I realise the faction thing didn't begin here, but I was never a fan of the tribal mentality with G1 and G2 and I'm still not now.

I love seeing kids in the town centre with pony purses or pony dresses or pony bags -or the cutest thing is seeing a child of about three clutching a BAB plushie and it's almost as big as they are. I like seeing kids enjoy MLP, whether it's G1 or G4 or whatever it might be. I generally am over the brony insecurity complex thing now. There's room for four generations (and a half) of ponies and I dare say there'll be room for G5 as well, so long as the kids don't abandon it :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SwirlyWhirly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Born in the year of the My Little Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 07, 2018, 06:38:52 AM »
People mocking G1 symbols and G1 in general is taking things waaay too seriously. It's a toy! Made for children! :lol: I think some of the newer fans do this maybe because they discovered MLP as adults and not kids. They interpret and analyze all things MLP with an adult mind while we who played with ponies as kids, at least I, fondly remember the fun of that and don't mind that the story behind the toy isn't perfect. The MLP story evolved over 35 years time and that's it.

Offline Esbayne

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #869 on: April 07, 2018, 06:41:16 AM »

The difference between G1 baby ponies/symbols/etc and G4 is conformity. G4 bothered to make a rule about it, and G1 didn't.

The mocking is actually revealing about the fandom itself. If a person goes out of their way to make fun of something/someone else, especially unprovoked, it means they're not entirely secure in themselves and what they believe. While it's annoying, I mostly feel sorry for the people who feel the need to behave like that. There are plenty of G4 fans who don't, and they're the ones I hope will stick around after G4 ends.

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not, but as time goes on and G4 begins to fade a little, I feel like dividing MLP into generations needs to go back to being just a way to identify lines, and not a way to create factions. I love my G1 ponies. They're absolutely the core of my collection. But I have G2, G3 and G4 as well and I like them just fine too. I realise the faction thing didn't begin here, but I was never a fan of the tribal mentality with G1 and G2 and I'm still not now.

I love seeing kids in the town centre with pony purses or pony dresses or pony bags -or seeing a child of about three clutching a BAB plushie and it's almost as big as they are. I like seeing kids enjoy MLP, whether it's G1 or G4 or whatever it might be. I generally am over the brony insecurity complex thing now. There's room for four generations (and a half) of ponies and I dare say there'll be room for G5 as well, so long as the kids don't abandon it :)

People mocking G1 symbols and G1 in general is taking things waaay too seriously. It's a toy! Made for children! :lol: I think some of the newer fans do this maybe because they discovered MLP as adults and not kids. They interpret and analyze all things MLP with an adult mind while we who played with ponies as kids, at least I, fondly remember the fun of that and don't mind that the story behind the toy isn't perfect. The MLP story evolved over 35 years time and that's it.

:iconclap:

Allll of this exactly. They're rainbow toy fantasy ponies, fighting about them is beyond silly. They're something that is supposed to be fun in our lives, I dunno how some people manage to suck the fun out of it for themselves like they do.

I'm not big on some gens, like 3.5 which I don't like at all or 4 that I'm "ho hum" on, but so what? Others do and that's great, more to em! It's cool that there are so many different ponies to where we can all be collectors but still all have entirely different tastes and collections entirely. That's rad.
There will never be a "best" generation- doesn't matter what gen you think is best, fact is- it's not. Your opinion is that it's the best, and that's A-OK. But, factually, it will never be the best. Arguments about these kind of things will never be ended, are silly, and go on in circles for eternity, which doesn't do anything but harm the pony community by making everyone look argumentative and aggressive. (and the REAL fact is, -all- ponies, in general, are best. So.)

I feel like the people who throw the biggest fits about these kinds of things, like "what gen is best," or what "!!has to be show accurate!!" will either continue to do all this until they eventually suck all the fun out of the entire thing for themselves and leave entirely (maybe partially because everyone else is being a fun-sucker too), or learn to be more open minded and branch out and truly enjoy the hobby, and join us. ( XD )

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal