collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 406825 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #645 on: December 04, 2017, 03:43:05 AM »

I had fun trying to find the scene and taking the screenshots. :) I found another strange animation choice in Ghost of Paradise Estate.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I think maybe this is not the same building as the Lullabye Nursery? Maybe. The original nursery was next to Dream Castle, and we see this pink building next to Paradise Estate. Perhaps the ponies built a new nursery next to PE after they moved there? This pink nursery kind of looks like an extension of PE with the colors and the door. We see them working on its interior in "The Ghost of Paradise Estate", and the baby ponies are sleeping at the estate, possibly because the new nursery is not ready to move into yet?

But, we also see the original Lullabye Nursery again in later episodes ("The Revolt of Paradise Estate" among them), so... I don't really know. Either way you turn it, it doesn't make sense.

It never made sense to me that the adults slept in the castle and the babies were banished to a separate building to fend for themselves.  How did they not get kidnapped more often?  And what was with the episodes where the first tooth babies were responsible for the newborns?  I liked the idea of the nursery but I think the use of it in the cartoons made the adults look really irresponsible.

That's why UK ponylore makes much more sense than anything in the animation (I can say that here, it's the Unpopular Opinions thread!) I think most of what happens in the animation is cute but ultimately if you take it apart to grass roots level a lot of it doesn't make sense, like the above. No wonder the poor twins get abducted and turned into pets.

In the UK there was a designated ponyland babysitter/nurse pony to take care of the babies. The first ponyland nurse was Cotton Candy, but the first I remember being really involved with the baby ponies as well as with medical stuff was Gusty, then Lollipop (Sweet Tooth). Later Caramel Crunch did a lot of that kind of stuff as well. Also the adult ponies often taught the baby ponies things or were involved in things. I've flicked through my comic issues and there's one cover of Masquerade taking the newborn twins out, one of Caramel Crunch and Sand Digger helping newborn ponies decorate a Christmas tree, etc. I also remember a story about the baby first tooth ponies and they're arguing and causing problems...I think it is the Slitherwigs and Ladders story..? I remember Chief and a couple of other adults dragged into it trying to solve the baby ponies' crisis and teach them to work together or something along those lines...

Ok, so the comic didn't always make sense but at least it had a form of baby pony childcare, education and mentoring that the animation really didn't have...(unless you count Megan lying to the baby ponies to trick them into going to bed?)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 04, 2017, 04:56:48 AM »
Every time I find out something new about the UK pony lore, I like it even more. :) 

In the cartoon at times it seems like the adults let the babies wander around on their own until something bad happens to them and then they must rescue them What was Megan thinking when she let 3 baby ponies go backstage to meet Bright Lights and Zeb alone?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 04, 2017, 08:16:28 AM »
In the UK there was a designated ponyland babysitter/nurse pony to take care of the babies. The first ponyland nurse was Cotton Candy, but the first I remember being really involved with the baby ponies as well as with medical stuff was Gusty, then Lollipop (Sweet Tooth). Later Caramel Crunch did a lot of that kind of stuff as well. Also the adult ponies often taught the baby ponies things or were involved in things. I've flicked through my comic issues and there's one cover of Masquerade taking the newborn twins out, one of Caramel Crunch and Sand Digger helping newborn ponies decorate a Christmas tree, etc. I also remember a story about the baby first tooth ponies and they're arguing and causing problems...I think it is the Slitherwigs and Ladders story..? I remember Chief and a couple of other adults dragged into it trying to solve the baby ponies' crisis and teach them to work together or something along those lines...

Ok, so the comic didn't always make sense but at least it had a form of baby pony childcare, education and mentoring that the animation really didn't have...(unless you count Megan lying to the baby ponies to trick them into going to bed?)

It seems kind of implied in "Escape From Catrina" that Posey acts as a caretaker for the baby ponies (with Megan taking over the role on her visit), but like pretty much everything else on the show it's super vague. It's like the writers go out of their way to not address things, just so they can make up whatever they need to later.

But yeah, as for unpopular opinions, I do agree that the original G1 show is generally a mess with very little artistic merit. But I still have lots of nostalgia for it, and if I'm in the mood for it, it can be entertaining for what it is. I read some of the UK comic as a child and again as an adult, but not much of it has stuck with me. That could be in part due to the huge amount of stories and characters to keep track of. For sure it had more effort put into the characterization and world building than the cartoon did. Maybe I'll try to immerse myself in it again at some point in the future.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 04, 2017, 08:23:32 AM »
Every time I find out something new about the UK pony lore, I like it even more. :) 

In the cartoon at times it seems like the adults let the babies wander around on their own until something bad happens to them and then they must rescue them What was Megan thinking when she let 3 baby ponies go backstage to meet Bright Lights and Zeb alone?

Ponyfan

Different time period. It was okay to let kids wander a little. I used to roam my neighborhood and grocery store in elementary. In 5th and 6th grade I would walk to my best friend's house as long as I had permission. We would also walk home from school together sometimes when our folks couldn't pick us up. But at that age no, Megan TOTALLY dropped the ball.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 04, 2017, 08:53:40 AM »
I used to go with a friend walking his dog through the village where I went to school when I was about ten. I can't navigate, but fortunately he could, and his dogs were so well behaved even I wasn't scared of them. But that was a small village...pretty sure Mum wouldn't have let me wander on my own in a bigger area. (Or maybe just because I got lost). As for ponyland, you'd think they'd get a clue from all the bad things that happened to baby ponies when they weren't being watched...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 05, 2017, 09:09:50 AM »
I enjoy the cartoons but sometimes it seems like the ponies are easy targets for anyone wanting to try to take over. The villains always start with the ponies and usually manage to capture at least one of them.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline starryeyed

• Captain Jack Pony
  • seapony in the clouds
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 06, 2017, 01:55:11 PM »
I dont actively collect g4 because i feel the fact that most toys are based around only 6 characters is not fun! I prefer older gens because they're just so much more collectible you know?

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 06, 2017, 02:37:16 PM »
I don't like the bubbles pose, as to me it looks like they should be glued onto wood to make bookends

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 06, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »
I love neon yellow hair :blush:

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #654 on: December 06, 2017, 07:15:47 PM »

Same here! I wish its color didn't bleed onto other things, but I really like the color itself! I love bright ponies!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 06, 2017, 07:28:33 PM »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 07, 2017, 05:00:32 AM »

Me too.

And me! So believed Shady's hair glowed in the dark when I was a kid because it was so bright!!

I guess this is a more popular opinion than anyone thought ;)

I also don't much like the sitting pose. I would have rather had Bubbles and Seashell standing.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 07, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
I don't care for Nirvana ponies that much. But I do enjoy seeing them in other people's collections. Most Nirvanas I have are Italy ones which I have not deliberatly collected because they are "Nirvana". But mostly because Italy ponirs are so easy to get in the Netherlands. And I never paid much attenrion to which country ponies were coming from. If I happen to have a Italy pony. I don't usually feel the need to have the Hong Kong or China version and vice versa.

I would never spend hundereds of euros on a Nirvana. They just feel a bit off to me as to me it is just one of many different versions of one specific pony. Feels a bit like a waste.

Also, my favorite G1s are Posey, Kiss Curl and Tootsie. They are underestimated yet awesome. I have a small Posey army. :blush:
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 07, 2017, 10:15:54 AM »

Me too! It's actually one of my favourites. :D

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 07, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »
This one is probably really controversial and I don't mean offense to anyone who uses the term but, I hate the term pony cancer. I think its kinda, I dunno, wrong to use that word when so many have suffered or lost to it. Either directly or by proxy of a loved one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal