collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404547 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #495 on: September 03, 2017, 02:37:07 PM »
I might as well confess that I dislike the Apples' accents.
English is not my native language but even I can hear that they are really forced. I spent time abroad and I heard a lot of Southern US accents. Some of which I almost couldn't understand.
But nothing was like that annoying twang Applebloom has. The entire "the Apples are hicks" thing is weird to me.

I guess that's just because I'm not from the US and I don't understand all your stereotypes. But in my country farming is not something associated with Texans or cowboys, so I actually enjoy that our dub doesn't have an accent. She just talks ponified country-isms.
A lot of German fans hate that she doesn't have an American accent but that would sound so forced and dumb here. I don't know... I don't need it. She's just a farmer with a cowboy hat.

As a Texan, thought I'd just put in my two rambling cents here.  Technically, cowboys aren't associated with farming here either.  That's ranching which is very different from farming and historicaly ranchers and farmers didn't always get along.  We *are* known for cotton.  But definitely not apples as most apple trees require a longer and colder winter than we typically get down here.  (We do love our peaches and our pecans, though (pronounced pe-CAHN, thank you very much :P ))

But anyway, the general stereotype is that a "Texas" accent is shorthand for "country" or "unsophisticated " or, as you said, a "hick".  Though, we aren't the only ones, pretty much any Southern state with a distinct accent gets the same treatment.  We're just the most widely known with a conveniently identifiable accessory (the hat.)

So does the Apples admittedly bad accent bother me?  Not really.  True, it is a bad accent.  But the Apples aren't generally portrayed in a negative light.  In fact, they personify several things we Texans take a lot of pride in : Hard work, common sense and family.

Here ends my rambling. :P

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 03, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »
Why the hate against Rapunzel? *Cuddles Punzie* "There, there...they don't mean it like that".

1. I don't like Twinkle eye Ponies. Except Quackers and Masquerade.

2. I didn't like the final result of the "Let's make a Pony" thread. (Possibly because she was a Twinkle Eye and she was just TOO MUCH!)

3. I don't like the Collector's Pose. It makes ponies looks fat (huge butt and head/short legs) and they have an unhappy, even a little bit dopey face expression.

4. I HATE it when people use bait/vintage ponies to customize them. I HATE IT! YES I SAID IT! Keep your hands off of the Vintage 80's. If you feel the need to tinker on a pony, atleast try to bring them back to their former glory. Even if they are bait...let them be. It shows that they were well loved and played with. Clean them up and give them a happy home.

5. I don't care for pony merchandise. Not even the vintage.

6. I always get sad when I see a pony lover get rid of or selling their collection.

7. I love simple ponies like Tootsie and Posey the most. They just give that simple no nonsense pony feeling that I can't otherwise discribe.

8. I don't care for baby ponies at all. I dont understand why some go for so much. In my logical brain it tells me "It's less pony for more money".

9. I hate the character Starlight Glimmer from the FiM show. She makes Twilight Sparkle feel obsolete. She can do everything Twilight can, only better. She doesn't need Twilight at all. Though the show makes her look weak from time to time just to try and drag out the storyline as she needs to "learn about friendship". Starts to get old. But even then she doesn't need Twilight. She overshadows Twilight and I feel she's just in the way.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:34:28 PM by Pierlala »
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 03, 2017, 03:37:18 PM »
Why the hate against Rapunzel? *Cuddles Punzie* "There, there...they don't mean it like that".

1. I don't like Twinkle eye Ponies. Except Quackers and Masquerade.

2. I didn't like the final result of the "Let's make a Pony" thread. (Possibly because she was a Twinkle Eye and she was just TOO MUCH!)

3. I don't like the Collector's Pose. It makes ponies looks fat (huge butt and head/short legs) and they have an unhappy, even a little bit dopey face expression.

4. I HATE it when people use bait/vintage ponies to customize them. I HATE IT! YES I SAID IT! Keep your hands off of the Vintage 80's. If you feel the need to tinker on a pony, atleast try to bring them back to their former glory. Even if they are bait...let them be. It shows that they were well loved and played with. Clean them up and give them a happy home.

5. I don't care for pony merchandise. Not even the vintage.

6. I always get sad when I see a pony lover get rid of or selling their collection.

7. I love simple ponies like Tootsie and Posey the most. They just give that simple no nonsense pony feeling that I can't otherwise discribe.

8. I don't care for baby ponies at all. I dont understand why some go for so much. In my logical brain it tells me "It's less pony for more money".

I'm with you on a few of these:

I think Collectors pose ponies look depressed.

I love simple ponies without gimmicks, and for that reason European exclusive sets are among my favorites.

I don't collect baby ponies.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 06, 2017, 05:36:51 AM »
I'm not sure how popular/unpopular this is, but Snuzzle isn't one of my favorite ponies.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 07, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »
I'm not sure how popular/unpopular this is, but Snuzzle isn't one of my favorite ponies.

Ponyfan
OMG!!  Noooo!! NOt possible! 

Haha... just kidding.  ;)     Snuzzle was a grail for me as a kid because she was a year gone by the time I became aware of her.  Mostly because I wanted ponies from every color.  Same with Minty and Blue Bell.  But that doesn't mean that I think everyone should love her.  <3
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #500 on: September 07, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
I didn't actually know Snuzzle really existed as a child, which is weird because she was released so many different ways in the UK - on her own, with Baby Bow Tie's stroller (Argos), with the 1987 Grooming Parlour...but she was a mysterious pony in the Fact File that I thought was made up because she wasn't ever in a comic or anything. Along with Minty who was coloured in purple, Bluebelle with her name misspelt and Butterscotch. Ironic considering they were three of the original ponies to be produced and all of them were readily available in the UK. Unlike ponies like Glory and Medley whose existence I never doubted but who were never sold here. So weird how Hasbro made those decisions.

I think she is quite pretty, colourwise, but like Pierlala, I am not a fan of her pose. I also agree with Pierlala's 4, 6 and 7 points, and especially 4. I feel exactly the same. Both with that and with deboxing of vintage pony items. I think it might be unpopular and I have mentioned it before, but I do believe in responsibility to the community and future of pony collecting by preserving what we can of the past now, while we still have it. That's the historian in me I think. My pony motto is generally 'do no harm'. I also tend to see rehairs and repaints as customs, not restorations.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 07, 2017, 12:24:53 PM »

I also agree with Pierlala's 4, 6 and 7 points, and especially 4. I feel exactly the same. Both with that and with deboxing of vintage pony items. I think it might be unpopular and I have mentioned it before, but I do believe in responsibility to the community and future of pony collecting by preserving what we can of the past now, while we still have it. That's the historian in me I think. My pony motto is generally 'do no harm'. I also tend to see rehairs and repaints as customs, not restorations.

I agree with Tafetta on deboxing/decarding vintage pony items. I know we're supposed to say that the decision is up to the person but I'll never forgot when I was still new to collecting MLP and someone commented on how pristine another member's ponies looked and they replied that they had been bought as MOC and the owner had decarded them because "they liked them better that way" Even though when I still had a lot to learn about ponies I was sad to know that these beautiful ponies had been decarded after all of those years of staying sealed on their cards.

I am okay with decarding/opening vintage  items if there is an issue like mold growing in the card/damaging the pony etc..

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pierlala

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 07, 2017, 12:43:07 PM »
What I think (don't hate me for this, just stating my opinion)...is that customizers don't fully realize that THIS is what we have now. G1 is never coming back. THe ponies from the 80's that are on this planet is all we have. And with all this customizing and rehairing etc. There will be less and less in vintage/original condition. It is also (in a way) mean towards future collectors. G1's are already pricey and some starting to become a bit rediculously over priced, due to less and less being available. Customizing isn't a niche anymore, it's done by so many people.

I understand it feels nice and you can put your own creativity in a pony. But what is most damning to me is that -often- the customized pony is a personal preference. You made the pony into what -YOU- liked at that specific moment. Maybe in a year or so you lose interest in the custom and put it on Ebay or in a box in the attic. That's why you see tons and tons of customs for months on end on Ebay without being sold. People don't like YOUR custom. -YOU- liked yours and now it's up for sale.

Also...people making customs just to put them on Ebay. I have seen the same customs for a year now against a rediculously high price. But no one will buy it as the word already said "custom" it's personal preference. Chances that someone else will like it are slim. I mean sure as "Oh that looks nice". But not in a "OMG I want to have it" kind of way. Which you do have with the originals.

With an untouched vintage, cleaned up/washed ofcourse. You can sell it on to the next person and it WILL be sold and loved way faster. And you can make other collectors happy with the pony you once loved. Now it's their turn.

This is a cry towards the custom community. I often hear statements as "It's like giving them a second life". But to me it's like stealing their soul and leave an empty shell of bells and whistles.
My wish list: Click here!.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #503 on: September 07, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I can't stand G3 Pinkie Pie.  Her voice is so annoying and she's the epitome of the things I don't like about G3.  Don't get me wrong, there is plenty that I DO like about G3.  But not the overly optimistic, overly perky, best-friends-with-everyone, pink-pink-pink that you see with G3 Pinkie. 

But yeah, mostly her voice.  :P

I'm not fond of G4 Pinkie Pie either, but I will take her over stuffed-nose G3 Pinkie Pie any day.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:38:11 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #504 on: September 07, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I can't stand G3 Pinkie Pie.  She's annoying and her voice is so annoying.

I'm not fond of G4 Pinkie Pie either, but I will take her over stuffed-nose G3 Pinkie Pie any day.

Do you know what is weird? I was watching one of the G3 specials in Portuguese in Lisbon the other week and Pinkie Pie in Portuguese in G3 sounds a lot like G4 Pinkie Pie in English. Also Wysteria like Fluttershy in English. I don't know how that happens, but it's still true.

Random off topic but just struck me as weird.

I don't speak Portuguese at all but there was something in the voice tones...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 07, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
*nasal tone* "Minty, Minty, Minty..." :lol:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 07, 2017, 02:39:55 PM »
I don't see it as a horrible crime if people debox any vintage toy.  Rip that sucker open if you want to! Mwahahaha!

*Is immediately buried under a barrage of fakies*
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 02:45:56 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 07, 2017, 04:04:04 PM »
Ponyfan

Yeah, I'm not a fan of her gray color.

Here's another of mine and I'm not sure how popular/unpopular it is:

I prefer the ponies made in Years 4-7 over those made in Years 1-3.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #508 on: September 07, 2017, 04:23:12 PM »
My collection does not belong to or exist for the community.

My collection is for me to enjoy.

Not for someone else to enjoy.

My collection is appropriate and appreciated by me, for me. Right now. In the present.

Plastic ponies are not real living endangered species.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 07, 2017, 04:41:10 PM »
My collection does not belong to or exist for the community.

My collection is for me to enjoy.

Not for someone else to enjoy.

My collection is appropriate and appreciated by me, for me. Right now. In the present.

Plastic ponies are not real living endangered species.

:iconclap::iconclap::iconclap::iconclap::iconclap:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal