collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404577 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #480 on: August 22, 2017, 08:55:38 AM »
I might as well confess to finding Octavia Melody's voice to be beautiful.  I don't mind if it was supposed to be English or not, I think it suited her personally.   ^.^

I don't mind ponies with different accents, it suggests different regions of Ponyland. But I consider fake English accents culturally offensive and that's another matter. So if an American cartoon does several regional US accents, like Truly's, that's not an issue. And if they get a voice artist from a country to do a specific accent, that's fine. But I hate when (usually) US TV shows think it's ok to fake an accent. And I can only imagine what Scottish people feel about that character from Ice Cream Wars...even though I sort of understand why he was Scottish.

Going on the subject of documentaries, G1 MLP has been featured on TV, in magazines and on radio before but not to the extent of the Bronies. Particularly in the UK for a spell. I think it was an I love Toys special that had Reaperfox interviewed on it, and there have been a few UK magazine articles too. I was interviewed on Welsh radio once but that was so long ago now...I don't think that there's been no attention, but somehow (maybe this is an unpopular opinion?) I think that it's better the tacky media attention is focused on the brony community? Modern day media looks for sensationalism and encourages trolling. I wouldn't want my collection or collectable out there in that mess...it doesn't matter to me whether everyone knows about ponies or whether they don't. I've been doing this far too long to care ;)

Perhaps I'm old-fashioned but I would also rather have five new ponypeople come into the community in a year (of any generation fandom) because of love of the toy/series/concept rather than 500 come in on the back of a fad wave everyone is talking about. I still hope that when the fad wave is over, the bronies that are left will become part of the same community as the rest of us, and we'll all just get on with it quietly, but maybe that's naive.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:57:25 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 24, 2017, 11:05:28 AM »
I don't mind the different accents either. Although Truly's does grate on my nerves. She sounds like she's trying too hard to do several different southern accents at once. But then again, I never liked her anyway. I don't like G4 AJ's accent either. She also sounds like she's trying too hard, although at least hers is more consistent.

I don't mind Baby Quackers quacking or Thistle Whistle's whistling.

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 24, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »

Going on the subject of documentaries, G1 MLP has been featured on TV, in magazines and on radio before but not to the extent of the Bronies. Particularly in the UK for a spell. I think it was an I love Toys special that had Reaperfox interviewed on it, and there have been a few UK magazine articles too. I was interviewed on Welsh radio once but that was so long ago now...I don't think that there's been no attention, but somehow (maybe this is an unpopular opinion?) I think that it's better the tacky media attention is focused on the brony community? Modern day media looks for sensationalism and encourages trolling. I wouldn't want my collection or collectable out there in that mess...it doesn't matter to me whether everyone knows about ponies or whether they don't. I've been doing this far too long to care ;)
but i hope they do a documentary for every pony varyation in g1
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline alaskaallie

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 02, 2017, 05:28:22 AM »
I have... no interest in any of the TV shows, it's all about the toys for me! As a result, I really can't stand the whole thing around G4. The toys are soooo boooooringgg like how do they get away with just reproducing the same pony except, oh the packaging is different and now they have a little stamp by their eye.... I was so excited when I found out there was going to be another gen of pony toys and I tried to like them but they don't even look like horses  :(

I was (still am a bit) really a horse girl so was not a fan of 3.5 and 4 because they hardly read as horses anymore with their big round heads and noodle legs. At least G 3.5 had joints in their legs and those cute playsets for the minis. With G4 they are just too small to do anything interesting with anyway and even the poses are limited with their bizarre heads, the colors are meh and they just seem so cheap...

not an uncommon opinion, but I have been unpleasantly surprised by some of the nastiness from the current generation- there was no equivalent to this "brony culture" in fans of previous generations.  Really puts me off the whole thing. But yay for the people who do like G4 toys- it is fun to collect something that's currently in stores!  :biggrin:

Post Merge: September 02, 2017, 05:31:50 AM

Perhaps I'm old-fashioned but I would also rather have five new ponypeople come into the community in a year (of any generation fandom) because of love of the toy/series/concept rather than 500 come in on the back of a fad wave everyone is talking about. I still hope that when the fad wave is over, the bronies that are left will become part of the same community as the rest of us, and we'll all just get on with it quietly, but maybe that's naive.

I absolutely agree! The whole thing is strange to me. We can hope it will go something like that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 05:31:50 AM by alaskaallie »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 02, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Twinkle eye ponies as toys even though I know they are really popular. I like their animated and comic counterparts. though. I also love the story of how Applejack found and freed the twinkle eye ponies.  :) 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 02, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »
firefly is so overated and grey and yellow horse is just an unfunny mean joke
i love sprinkles

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 02, 2017, 01:43:11 PM »

Gray and yellow horse?

Yes I think Firefly is a bit overrated. I don't like the pose she's in and her symbol doesn't match up to her name. Nice singing voice though.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 02, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »

Gray and yellow horse?

Ditzy/Muffins, I'm guessing.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #488 on: September 02, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »
I like the G3 Tiny Tins. I don't know if that's unpopular or not, but they are HTF so I'm guessing they didn't sell that well?

I only have Sew-and-So without her Tin. I'd really like Bumblesweet, she's my fav of the set(s).

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #489 on: September 02, 2017, 02:14:32 PM »
I like the G3 Tiny Tins. I don't know if that's unpopular or not, but they are HTF so I'm guessing they didn't sell that well?

I only have Sew-and-So without her Tin. I'd really like Bumblesweet, she's my fav of the set(s).

I didn't know about these before! They look very cute!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 02, 2017, 03:08:15 PM »
I like the Tiny Tins too! Just had a proper look at their article on the wiki - I didn't know they had movable heads, that's so cool!! I wouldn't mind one or two :) I like misc merch like that.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 02, 2017, 03:30:20 PM »

The Tiny Tins are adorable! I'd love to have some.

Post Merge: September 02, 2017, 03:30:46 PM

Gray and yellow horse?

Oh.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 02, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »

Gray and yellow horse?

yeah cus its mostly the voice and her clumsyness is a joke that seems like it would be on south park instead of a show teaching kids about love
i love sprinkles

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 03, 2017, 01:15:39 AM »
I might as well confess to finding Octavia Melody's voice to be beautiful.  I don't mind if it was supposed to be English or not, I think it suited her personally.   ^.^

I don't mind ponies with different accents, it suggests different regions of Ponyland. But I consider fake English accents culturally offensive and that's another matter. So if an American cartoon does several regional US accents, like Truly's, that's not an issue. And if they get a voice artist from a country to do a specific accent, that's fine. But I hate when (usually) US TV shows think it's ok to fake an accent. And I can only imagine what Scottish people feel about that character from Ice Cream Wars...even though I sort of understand why he was Scottish.

Bad Scottish accents rub me up the wrong way something fierce and borderline political. It goes back to the time period where being Scottish was something almost shameful (think Renton's quote in Trainspotting), and this twee shortbread tin image of Scotland perpetuated by UK media made it even worse. Scottish pride is on the rise, and we are noticing how horrible fake accents are and how it's picked up by other characters. Hell, on Emmerdale I believe ome Scottish character had her accent/the fact she was Scottish mocked by another character (I think the spat was over a man) and was headbutted in the face for her troubles XD

It's either hideously, offensively fake, or when they get someone ACTUALLY Scottish, they pick a voice that's annoying who telegraphs the accent. An obvious accent works in Scottish comedy - think Chewin' the Fat that had very broad Glaswegian accents in a lot of scenes for comedic effect or to make a character authentic - but not so much in serious dramas about petticoats and honour.

Decades of exposure to that 'tea and crumpets God save the Queen pip pip' 'British' garbage as made me very short-tempered when it comes to 'English' accents in media. I honestly get shocked if I hear an English regional accent that isn't that London-tourist trash. Give me a Dave Lister-Liverpool or a Not-the-curtains-lad! Yorkshire accent any day!

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 03, 2017, 03:16:13 AM »
I might as well confess that I dislike the Apples' accents.
English is not my native language but even I can hear that they are really forced. I spent time abroad and I heard a lot of Southern US accents. Some of which I almost couldn't understand.
But nothing was like that annoying twang Applebloom has. The entire "the Apples are hicks" thing is weird to me.

I guess that's just because I'm not from the US and I don't understand all your stereotypes. But in my country farming is not something associated with Texans or cowboys, so I actually enjoy that our dub doesn't have an accent. She just talks ponified country-isms.
A lot of German fans hate that she doesn't have an American accent but that would sound so forced and dumb here. I don't know... I don't need it. She's just a farmer with a cowboy hat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal