collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404606 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #375 on: July 21, 2017, 09:05:55 AM »
Also dislike that she pony-fied herself as an alicorn. You're not god, Lauren :angel:

Pretty sure it was the brony fanbase that did that...

Nope, it was her :lol:
http://mlpfanart.wikia.com/wiki/Lauren_Faust

Lame
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: July 21, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »
So I am unsure which bits of this are unpopular opinions, but this statement of Faust's (I'm copying from Wiki, if it's misquoted or misattributed then that's my disclaimer) about the original MLP animation being "endless tea parties, giggled over nothing and defeated villains by either sharing with them or crying".

Faust basically created a series that was everything she hated about G1 animation. And most of those reasons, especially the obsessive need to befriend everything, is why I couldn't ever get into FIM.

Unless Lauren Faust has said a clearer version of this quote since then, it's not even set in stone that it was My Little Pony she was referring to when she said this.  The gist of the quote goes something like "The programs they had for little girls back in my day were like that, so I sent my toys on adventures" - she doesn't say specifically that she meant My Little Pony when she said this.  I think I've heard that Lauren said something about G1 having endless tea parties at a convention, though, but if that's the case, she might be misremembering - she didn't watch the cartoons that much, from what I can understand, not because she didn't like them, but because she already had her ideas on how it should be, and the show seemed too far away from it, or something.  I can understand this, especially given her age at the time (though there are still holes in this, with how her Mane Six act close to who they "replaced" at times, but I've already covered that in another post).

It is also possible that Lauren doesn't mind the girly tea party stuff, and she's just been misquoted again (she seems to get misquoted a lot), and maybe she literally meant she doesn't like it when it's "nothing but tea parties", i.e. there's no structure behind it, or anything in the episode besides the tea party?  The thing is with Lauren, she doesn't seem to be very good at getting her words across when she's just simply talking about her ideas (or people just misquote her), but her talent lies more in the actual writing, especially with friendship stuff.

and don't even get me started on "cutie mark". They weren't called that back in MY day....  :P
Not an unpopular opinion, trust me.  I felt like the only one who liked the term cutie mark when I first joined, but that's all been sorted out now.

I checked out G4 because so many people were going nuts over it ... and I don't quite see what they see? Sure, it looks nice, and it can be funny at times, but I'm not seeing the groundbreaking aspects people gush over.

Twilight I actually thought was a stand-in quite a few times; she reads like someone's overcompensating OC and when I noticed a closeness in hair-style to Faust ... that's probably a giant coincidence considering how many different mane styles there could possibly be but I couldn't unsee it. I laughed at the idea of her proving that 'anyone' could be a Princess. Yeah, no, she has had every available advantage going for her and was groomed practically from birth (or when she had that Deus Ex Magica moment) to be a Princess.

Faust honestly gets too much worship compared to the other minds behind MLP through the generations.
I think the "ground breaking" thing about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was that, to some of us (including myself) it seemed like the kind of children's shows we'd grown up with; there was heart to it, and the cute friendship moments weren't treated like a joke (and the few times they were, the emphasis was on the friendship moment, and not the joke) - somewhere between 2000 and 2010, friendship moments and all together cute heart-warming moments had become somewhat of a joke in children's shows (at least, with the shows I saw it did), and while I am totally fine with there being children's shows that aren't focused on love and friendship and a more of a comedy throughout (there are shows like this that I liked back then, and even further back in the 90s, so they aren't a bad thing), it felt to me like we'd kind of forgotten how to do a normal heart-warming moment, without having a joke about how "lame" and "cheesy" these moments are take over the whole scene - I can only think of two jokes like this in what I consider the golden age of FiM (seasons one and two), and they were both in the same episode; "Cutie Mark Chronicles", and neither of them took over the heart-warming part.  There was also a lot of throw away stuff, like there being more attention to detail in how the characters acted, and little things to make them seem more "real", but I will admit, that there are probably other shows that did the same thing - hell, a lot of the praises bronies sung about G4 were present in the previous generations as well.

Although Lauren planned on Twilight Sparkle becoming a "something" from what I've heard, the episode where she became a princess had nothing to do with her.  Also, if any of the ponies are Lauren's self-insert, it's Fluttershy.  Lauren was really shy growing up, and wanted there to be a character for shy people to relate to.  There's nothing wrong with having a main character who is basically a wish-fulfilment version of "you" - a lot of writers do it, and they usually do it much more professionally than a Mary Sue OC (that's what you were thinking of, right?).  Even if Twilight was Lauren's self-insert (which she's not), she is still flawed, and is allowed to fail and look bad at times.  Fun fact: some of Twilight's personality was based on Lauren's mother.

I wouldn't say Lauren gets that much worship, myself.  She does if you take into the account that some people assume she created the whole franchise, but that's just people not bothering to do the research - they were introduced to the franchise via her version, so they just assume.  I know that there are a lot of people who do hold her in high regard, but there were a lot of people who didn't too.  Back when I hung out at brony sites more, I allowed myself to think I was the only brony who actually liked Lauren - I know I'm not, and even back then I knew deep down, I think, but I took notice of the negative comments more where people were acting like she didn't deserve much praise as she'd only done three episodes (which is true, but she would have been involved in the others as well), and people were acting like she left before she did (acting like season two was done without her, and for the most part, it wasn't).  There are certain things in the show that she did that she doesn't get praise for, and things she didn't do that she gets "blamed" for (not really, as they're not bad things, just things that weren't really her doing).

I'm not saying she's perfect, I know she's not, she's probably the first writer I realised that I could relate to, the first writer that I truly saw as "human".  I know that there are a lot of bronies who praise her, and sadly the ones that do tend to be the bad kinds of bronies, the ones that hate on the previous generations and praise Lauren for "saving" them from pre-FiM, the ones who hate the new episodes because they think the show died when she left (I don't think it died, but I do think it lost something), and those are the ones that people pay attention to, it seems. 

According to brony-haters, FiM-Haters and sometimes even My Little Pony-haters we (myself and other bronies) are supposed to treat Lauren like God, but I have yet to see any of this...

Also dislike that she pony-fied herself as an alicorn. You're not god, Lauren :angel:
She was never trying to be, it's not even a "supernatural" maned alicorn, and it was probably done before the stigmatism of alicorn-OCs happened.  It is so rare I see anyone in the brony fandom actually complain about an alicorn OC these days, that when someone finally does complain about one, it seems so out of the blue, and I'm like "Really, I thought we were done with that?"

Even with Princess Celestia and Princess Luna in mind, I don't think it entered her head that the fans thought that alicorns were godlike (which for the record, I don't think they are) - the idea what they were was all the fandom, as far as I can see.  I honestly think it was all done innocently - I mean, it's not even a character.  Maybe she just really liked how alicorns looked?

I hope my post was balanced enough.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:34:57 AM by MJNSEIFER »
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 21, 2017, 09:42:31 AM »
FiM will always be the girl property that got the manly man seal of approval. That's why so many people believe it is exceptional when in reality it's just a regular cute and entertaining cartoon show like most shows for kids these days (I believe that cartoons vastly improved since the 90s, allthough lots of animation nerds will say otherwise).

While I like FiM I don't know why I should rank it higher than Star vs the Forces of Evil or Shimmer and Shine just because it has a cult following on the internet. My ideal MLP show would be closer to Rescue at Midnight Castle because I adore the Dark Fantasy niche genre of the 80s and I still think it would have been the best to put the ponies in a more fantastic setting rather than, let's say, a city like Manehattan.

Same reason why I never liked the MLP Tales cartoon. It was too humanoid.
As a kid I never wanted to be the ponies, I wanted to be someone like Megan who was chosen to spend time with them and become a leader type. To be a Chosen One, even if I was given a dumb title like "pony mommy". But that's just me.
I realize the Sailor Moon rip-off that is FiM is popular with girls because they see themselves in the main group and that's ok. But it is a Sailor Moon rip-off and nothing new.

Post Merge: July 21, 2017, 09:52:02 AM

According to brony-haters, FiM-Haters and sometimes even My Little Pony-haters we (myself and other bronies) are supposed to treat Lauren like God, but I have yet to see any of this...

She was never trying to be, it's not even a "supernatural" maned alicorn, and it was probably done before the stigmatism of alicorn-OCs happened.  It is so rare I see anyone in the brony fandom actually complain about an alicorn OC these days, that when someone finally does complain about one, it seems so out of the blue, and I'm like "Really, I thought we were done with that?"

Even with Princess Celestia and Princess Luna in mind, I don't think it entered her head that the fans thought that alicorns were godlike (which for the record, I don't think they are) - the idea what they were was all the fandom, as far as I can see.  I honestly think it was all done innocently - I mean, it's not even a character.  Maybe she just really liked how alicorns looked?

Looks like I hit a nerve, but in the earliest interviews Faust had stated that the idea of an alicorn or "winged unicorn" ruler came to her mind because as a design choice it united all three types of ponies into one.
And the alicorns are the most powerful ponies, or at least they were supposed to be in the first season that she developped.

Take out my word choice of "god" and replace it with "most powerful" or "best of the ponies" or "ruler" and you may understand my Unpopular Opinion. You're speculating about her intentions just like everyone else in here. No need to take everything so personally ^.^
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:52:02 AM by Zapper »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 21, 2017, 10:46:33 AM »
Lauren Faust is full of crap.

She certainly did not invent alicorns. Winged Unicorns, have been around way before MLP.

I don't get where she gets the endless tea party crap from? I mean Tales had a couple if I remember correctly, but that's not all they did Every episode. Plus the Tales ponies are flawed and feisty.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: July 21, 2017, 11:34:32 AM »

Looks like I hit a nerve, but in the earliest interviews Faust had stated that the idea of an alicorn or "winged unicorn" ruler came to her mind because as a design choice it united all three types of ponies into one.
And the alicorns are the most powerful ponies, or at least they were supposed to be in the first season that she developped.

Take out my word choice of "god" and replace it with "most powerful" or "best of the ponies" or "ruler" and you may understand my Unpopular Opinion. You're speculating about her intentions just like everyone else in here. No need to take everything so personally ^.^
Yeah, you kind of did I'm sorry to say (I'm literally apologising to you, if it doesn't come across that way).  It's just that... I really relate to Lauren in places, and have a lot of respect for her, because like I said, she was the first writer that I saw as a human - nowadays I view them all as human, because they are, especially now that I am trying to be a writer myself, but she was the first, she was the one who made me realise that they are just people like you and me, because she just managed to be so relatable (her having a DeviantArt page helped with this).  So, it ends up hurting me more than it should when people personally "attack" her, rather than simply criticise her ideas, or her episodes, which by the way, I am totally fine with doing (while I did like previous shows she'd worked on, albeit without even knowing she worked on them, I genuinely think that FiM is the first thing involving her to be really high on my list, and not just in the average section).  It just gets to me, that people seem to directly act like she's doing something wrong, or taking what she says too literally, like she personally attacked them or something.  It's just she became so relatable, that I do end up taking this personally.  I'm sorry, but I do.  It's mostly because she genuinely seems like a nice person who just wanted to share her story, and bring her "fanfictions" with her toys to life.  I realise that I am speculating, but I'm basically giving her the benefit of the doubt.

On topic, I understand what you mean, though I still don't think it's quite the same as "godlike", but that's just me, and if I had to choose two ponies who were godlike, it would be Princess Celestia and Princess Luna, but even they have enough vulnerabilities, if only in my own headcanon to not literally be goddesses (in my headcanon, and in the show if a scene in "Princess Twilight Sparkle" means what I think it does, they can actually die, and I'm pretty sure a god/goddess aren't supposed die).

I have no idea what Lauren's original plan for alicorns was in regards to this subject, but I will admit that it doesn't surprise me that they were meant to be rulers and "better" ponies (hence why they should be so rare, and why I'm officially settled on an alicorn being something you become, despite Princess Flurry Heart), but even then I still don't view them as godlike - I do think the "supernatural" ones (I need a name for these alicorns) like Celestia and Luna are "a plain above other ponies", but not goddesses.  I do think that she wanted to them to be a kind of "higher power" that normal ponies don't quite understand, or something, so I can see your point.

You are right that I am speculating.

Lauren Faust is full of crap.

She certainly did not invent alicorns. Winged Unicorns, have been around way before MLP.

I don't get where she gets the endless tea party crap from? I mean Tales had a couple if I remember correctly, but that's not all they did Every episode. Plus the Tales ponies are flawed and feisty.
Again, unless she actually did say she invented them, she is not saying that she invented them.  Taking Zapper's post at face value, I do not see any evidence of Lauren saying she invented alicorns, winged unicorns, or whatever you want to call them (I know that "alicorn" usually means the horn, or something from the horn) - she simply seems to be saying that the idea of one being the ruler came to her.  She could have meant that she saw a Winged Unicorn and then come up with the idea of making them what they were in her show.

Again speculation, but that's what it looks like to me.

I explained my theories on the tea party thing in my earlier post, it's at the start of it.

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #380 on: July 21, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
Ok, so I didn't mean my comment on Faust's comment to start a war debate on this. This is the unpopular opinion thread, caveat is we can all say the things we dislike without having someone jump down our throats about it. This feels like I said something to send the thread way off topic, and I didn't mean for that (sorry Mods), but if that was the case, I'd just like to say...

My unpopular opinion is that Faust made a cartoon that lives up to all the things she said she hated in the old MLP/old cartoons.

That's the end of my unpopular opinion. I genuinely am not interested in Lauren Faust or FIM. I just find that an irritating irony, and thus it bugs me. End of subject.

Let's move on to another unpopular opinion because this thread has been going so nicely and respectfully and I really don't want the mods to lock it because it's nice to be able to share the things we don't like without it sparking a bonfire :/

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:03:36 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 21, 2017, 12:10:07 PM »
I didn't like Dream Beauties when I was little. I only had one and I think I remember feeling like she was too big to be played with my other My Little Ponies

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 21, 2017, 12:11:20 PM »
I might've said this before, but I don't think Grogar is one of the best villains like a lot of people seem to. I mean, he's got a cool design and the ep he's in is one of the best imo, but he's no Tirac. At least, imo.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: July 21, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »
I didn't like Dream Beauties when I was little. I only had one and I think I remember feeling like she was too big to be played with my other My Little Ponies

Ponyfan

I have to admit I felt a bit weird about them to begin with too. They were so 'horsey'. We didn't have them in the UK so the first I saw of them was online, and I was a bit eh about them for a while. I like them ok now, but they are a pain to store, so I sometimes think maybe Hasbro should have not done it...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 21, 2017, 01:37:00 PM »
One of my unpopular opinions is, I don't get the big deal over Tux n Tails. He's kinda dull, plus we have waaay too many blue and white boy ponies. Like, couldn't they have come in colors other then mostly pink and blue?

This extends to his three wives. Satin n Lace is just a boring pony.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:42:14 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 21, 2017, 01:44:04 PM »
One of my unpopular opinions is, I don't get the big deal over Tux n Tails. He's kinda dull, plus we have waaay too many blue and white boy ponies. Like, couldn't they have come in colors other then mostly pink and blue?

Ah that made me laugh out loud. Forget Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, it's Tux & Tails & the Three Wives. Magenta Satin is a really nice colour though.

It reminds me of a scene from my mediaeval Japanese text where a guy can't decide who his principal wife is and the two women end up having a full on scrap in the street because of it.

Going back on topic, the earlier stuff reminded me of another unpopular opinion. Please let's not have this one reacted to the same as the last but...

I don't like alicorns. I don't even like the word :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 21, 2017, 01:46:58 PM »
I like them, but the word no.

I don't like Lily Lightly all that much. She's absolutely gorgeous but her blinky eyes and light up dress ruins her and covers up a lovely symbol.

I also am not fond of Honeysuckle, Baby Surf Rider and ponies with that particular color scheme.

Post Merge: July 21, 2017, 01:47:51 PM

Ah that made me laugh out loud. Forget Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, it's Tux & Tails & the Three Wives. Magenta Satin is a really nice colour though.

It reminds me of a scene from my mediaeval Japanese text where a guy can't decide who his principal wife is and the two women end up having a full on scrap in the street because of it.

Going back on topic, the earlier stuff reminded me of another unpopular opinion. Please let's not have this one reacted to the same as the last but...

I don't like alicorns. I don't even like the word :/

Sounds like daytime tv before there was ever television. :haha:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:49:13 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 21, 2017, 03:07:33 PM »

:lmao:

I like winged unicorns, but I really really hate the term "alicorn". (Unpopular opinion: I don't really care for the whole "alicorns are ~*super powerful goddesses*~!" thing. I wish we had more of them, and I don't care if they're in the show or not. XD Sterling and Gold Lily are two of my favourite G4s.)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 21, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »

:lmao:

I like winged unicorns, but I really really hate the term "alicorn". (Unpopular opinion: I don't really care for the whole "alicorns are ~*super powerful goddesses*~!" thing. I wish we had more of them, and I don't care if they're in the show or not. XD Sterling and Gold Lily are two of my favourite G4s.)

I wish we had more too. I hope we get some in a horsier looking gen.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 21, 2017, 03:37:39 PM »
Lily Lightly is lovely but i hate how hard she is to clean, and dislike that the dress is sewn on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal