collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404672 times)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #360 on: July 20, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »
As for custom ponies, I use fakes most of my customs have been fakes I find them so cheaply.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #361 on: July 20, 2017, 02:46:54 PM »
Also dislike that she pony-fied herself as an alicorn. You're not god, Lauren :angel:

Pretty sure it was the brony fanbase that did that...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 20, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
Also dislike that she pony-fied herself as an alicorn. You're not god, Lauren :angel:

Pretty sure it was the brony fanbase that did that...

Nope, it was her :lol:
http://mlpfanart.wikia.com/wiki/Lauren_Faust

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #363 on: July 20, 2017, 03:18:10 PM »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #364 on: July 20, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »
So I am unsure which bits of this are unpopular opinions, but this statement of Faust's (I'm copying from Wiki, if it's misquoted or misattributed then that's my disclaimer) about the original MLP animation being "endless tea parties, giggled over nothing and defeated villains by either sharing with them or crying".

So the reason I have issues with this, aside the obvious fact anyone who's ever seen Rescue at Midnight Castle, Tambelon, Bright Lights, Somnambula, Revolt of Paradise Estate etc knows it's rubbish, is that in my opinion, that statement perfectly sums up FIM.

I am not even that big a fan of the old animated series. But I have become much more sympathetic to it since that, because as far as I'm concerned, Faust basically created a series that was everything she hated about G1 animation. And most of those reasons, especially the obsessive need to befriend everything, is why I couldn't ever get into FIM.

I don't remember a compulsive need for the old ponies to befriend every villain they met. I do remember North Star ringing a bell to consign one of them to a world of darkness though...

Given the size of the FIM fandom, it's clearly an unpopular opinion, so I am putting it here :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 20, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »
Yeah, that isn't even true for other MLP, as the ones who actually had tea parties (and nobody ever talk smack about my girl Tea Leaf) didn't have villains or reasons to cry :P

I like FiM just fine, but the first season has an episode in which Rarity defeats villains by crying and whining until they can't stand her anymore and release her.

And who is constantly having tea parties with a reformed villain now? G4 Fluttershy :lol:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 20, 2017, 04:29:19 PM »
So I am unsure which bits of this are unpopular opinions, but this statement of Faust's (I'm copying from Wiki, if it's misquoted or misattributed then that's my disclaimer) about the original MLP animation being "endless tea parties, giggled over nothing and defeated villains by either sharing with them or crying".

So the reason I have issues with this, aside the obvious fact anyone who's ever seen Rescue at Midnight Castle, Tambelon, Bright Lights, Somnambula, Revolt of Paradise Estate etc knows it's rubbish, is that in my opinion, that statement perfectly sums up FIM.

I am not even that big a fan of the old animated series. But I have become much more sympathetic to it since that, because as far as I'm concerned, Faust basically created a series that was everything she hated about G1 animation. And most of those reasons, especially the obsessive need to befriend everything, is why I couldn't ever get into FIM.

I don't remember a compulsive need for the old ponies to befriend every villain they met. I do remember North Star ringing a bell to consign one of them to a world of darkness though...

Given the size of the FIM fandom, it's clearly an unpopular opinion, so I am putting it here :D

I...I could just :hug: you Taffeta.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 20, 2017, 08:43:11 PM »

I actually like G4 but I can totally agree with this.

On the same vein, I never understood the whole " FiM is so ground breaking and the characters are so groundbreaking" thing.  Um, no.  We have the nerd who doesn't have/has trouble making friends, the loud obnoxious jock,  the diva fashionista, the totally random comic relief, the super shy animal lover, and the hard working, no-nonsense hick.  The only thing that might be ground breaking is taking these totally stereotypical highschool stereotypes and allowing them to exist outside of a school setting and in a non-human form.

(And then Hasbro took those characters, turned them back into humans, put them back into school, and wonder why EGs is greeted by ho hum reactions)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:46:46 PM by Sunset »

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 21, 2017, 01:53:27 AM »

I was just thinking about this same thing. I don't remember a single tea party in G1, but they seem to have one every five minutes in G4.
The whole concept of "friendship is magic!" and "bookish nerds must be forced to make friends!" rubs me the wrong way,  mainly because I am a fairly unsociable bookish nerd, and if the future of Equestria depended on me making friends it would now be a smouldering, Nightmare-Moon-ruled mess :L
I am acutely aware of FiM's various failings (which I think seem more glaring because so much of the fandom talk about it as if it's the most unique, revelatory, ground-breaking show ever), but I still watch it because it has ponies and they're cute :) . It's a cute kids show, but it's not the life-changing work of genius some fans like to imagine.

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
    • my collection catalog (IG)
« Reply #369 on: July 21, 2017, 05:28:54 AM »
I don't like G4 (the toys or FiM the show) and don't even really consider it My Little Pony. I know it is, but I just can't. When I think "My Little Pony" I think G1. I've felt like this about every generation since G2. I'm glad that they all exist so people with different tastes or who grew up at different times have their own ponies to connect to, but they're not at all for me.
You can see my collection on InstaGram @ mylittELLEpony  :lovey:

Offline haircutsandhighlighters

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 21, 2017, 06:23:57 AM »
Agreed - I have never seen FiM. And I don't want to. It's an insult to my precious childhood memories, seriously. I grew up on the G2 toys and the G1 cartoon, so anything later leaves me cold.

I also think "Friendship is Magic" is a silly title, and don't even get me started on "cutie mark". They weren't called that back in MY day....  :P

And, if I may diverge from the G4 ranting for a while, I think MOC/MIB ponies, especially from the earlier generations, are the saddest thing ever. 20 years in a box?  :cry:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:38:50 AM by haircutsandhighlighters »

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 21, 2017, 07:30:59 AM »
I absolutely love FiM, but i agree with you Taffeta.I still don't understand that stereotype with g1.

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
    • my collection catalog (IG)
« Reply #372 on: July 21, 2017, 07:34:28 AM »
And, if I may diverge from the G4 ranting for a while, I think MOC/MIB ponies, especially from the earlier generations, are the saddest thing ever. 20 years in a box?  :cry:

I feel this way, as well (I blame Toy Story LOL) which is why I will never buy a MOC/MIB pony. I'd end up deboxing and considering how many collectors would LOVE to have whatever MOC/MIB pony I'd just rip right out of there I stay far far away.
You can see my collection on InstaGram @ mylittELLEpony  :lovey:

Offline haircutsandhighlighters

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 21, 2017, 08:00:27 AM »
I have actually done that. Twice.  :blush:

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 21, 2017, 08:36:21 AM »
I checked out G4 because so many people were going nuts over it ... and I don't quite see what they see? Sure, it looks nice, and it can be funny at times, but I'm not seeing the groundbreaking aspects people gush over. I put it for other people the same level I put Monster High; something I personally adore and could point out all the funny/clever things about it, but being aware it's not groundbreaking or revolutionary in a massive sense.

A lot of characters get on my nerves. Rainbow Dash is obnoxious to me and reminds me of so many bullies I've met (I am *NOT* saying she is a bully! I'm juts saying she reminds me of them). Twilight I actually thought was a stand-in quite a few times; she reads like someone's overcompensating OC and when I noticed a closeness in hair-style to Faust ... that's probably a giant coincidence considering how many different mane styles there could possibly be but I couldn't unsee it. I laughed at the idea of her proving that 'anyone' could be a Princess. Yeah, no, she has had every available advantage going for her and was groomed practically from birth (or when she had that Deus Ex Magica moment) to be a Princess.

My biggest concern with G4 was simply I couldn't buy all of the main 6 characters wanting to be friends  :huh: I think the most believable were Rarity and Fluttershy, mostly because Rarity's loudness is balanced by Fluttershy's more reserved nature, and Rarity seems to have enough sensitivity to realise Fluttershy's limits. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash MAYBE but the latter seems to have a tolerance limit for the former (was I the only one sympathising with Gilda wanting Pinkie to leave her and Rainbow alone to bond after so long apart? I've had obnoxious friends try to butt in on my time with another friend many times). Twilight is almost anti-social, Applejack is work or nothing. I just don't buy all of them as friends forever. Especially not clashing personalities like Applejack and Rarity, or Twilight simply being too ... her.

Faust honestly gets too much worship compared to the other minds behind MLP through the generations.

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal