collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404632 times)

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #345 on: July 12, 2017, 06:53:05 PM »
Where can I find some G3 Spike?  I haven't seen him. 

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 13, 2017, 05:09:18 AM »
Where can I find some G3 Spike?  I haven't seen him.
If you mean as a toy, you can't (unless someone made a fan version) - he isn't a toyline character.

If you mean in the show, "Princess Promenade" and "The Runaway Rainbow" are the movies to look at.  He may have been in others, but he is definitely in them.  He was also in the live action show "The Worlds Biggest Tea Party".

I agree that G3 Spike was the best Spike.   :good:
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #347 on: July 13, 2017, 07:14:09 AM »

-I love customs but I hate it when people use non-baity G3s as a base. They are becoming rare.

I am feeling more and more morally conflicted about customs on any pony that is no longer available on store shelves.
Obviously if a pony is wrecked (major hair cuts, serious marks, even bits missing) that's a sort of different point, but in terms of your mention of good condition G3 becoming baits...

I am feeling more and more as time goes on that this is a bad thing in all generations. It happened a lot years back with the first generation when they were plentiful but I wonder now how much that impacted on the prices we live with now because nobody thought about future availability. The G3 collectors are just really breaking out onto the scene and your comment makes me wonder how much their current cheapness and availability is lulling people into a false sense of security about their future.

In terms of Generation One pony customising, I am even more morally conflicted by this. It's the fact of being torn between accepting someone has the right to do what they like with what they buy, versus the future availability issue.

I'm not trying to criticise anyone here because I know that ultimately we all decide for ourselves what is and isn't bait and whether or not to customise. But I am more conflicted by this than I used to be. Fifteen years ago I wouldn't have bothered about someone sacrificing a Cherries Jubilee to fix a Munchy's hair, but now...? I don't know...

I feel like we have some kind of responsibility to protect existing pony stock of all generations in acceptable or good collector condition from unnecessary customisation or restoration, but I have absolutely no idea how that could be achieved.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:19:41 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 13, 2017, 07:42:55 AM »

I feel like we have some kind of responsibility to protect existing pony stock of all generations in acceptable or good collector condition from unnecessary customisation or restoration, but I have absolutely no idea how that could be achieved.

We keep making those fan-based customs - like Genie and Puppy Love!  If we have a regular stock of custom bodies to be able to order from, then people don't have to use actual vintage ponies!  ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 13, 2017, 07:47:07 AM »

We keep making those fan-based customs - like Genie and Puppy Love!  If we have a regular stock of custom bodies to be able to order from, then people don't have to use actual vintage ponies!  ;)

Actually, that is a good call. Depending on the expense involved in doing that; it may be something that we as a community have to look to invest in more...I don't know. And there are fakies in g1 and g3 moulds as well, though the quality of those is a bit questionable. I don't believe in stifling the creativity in the community but if we had a good balance between original stuff and creativity I think that it would benefit everyone.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #350 on: July 13, 2017, 07:51:06 AM »

Are they making extras for customizing? Cause I'd love to buy original blank molds of G1 ;p
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 13, 2017, 07:51:50 AM »
I don't like sea ponies.

This is shocking to me to read on the Arena of all places :lol:

Here is a nitpicky one of mine:
I don't like the name "Twilight Sparkle". It sounds like a Frankenstein name. Might as well call Rarity "Glory Sparkle" - that would at least make sense :P

-I love customs but I hate it when people use non-baity G3s as a base. They are becoming rare.

-G3 Spike is best Spike. G1 and G4 are both annoying.

-Male ponies in G4 have really ugly designs (there are only a few exceptions) and I hate the ones with humanoid beards or the fact most of them have short manes and boring color schemes to make them less ~girly.

-The songs in G4 aren't that great. Other cartoons have similar material and that's ok.

I agree with you on everything except G1 Spike. He is quite competent and I agree with you partly on G4 boys. Beards and mustaches are dumb, on the other hand, they're the only ones that have faces that aren't super deformed.

Post Merge: July 13, 2017, 07:53:39 AM

Win/win situation!

Post Merge: July 13, 2017, 07:54:28 AM

Are they making extras for customizing? Cause I'd love to buy original blank molds of G1 ;p

That would be awesome!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:54:28 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 13, 2017, 08:00:16 AM »

Not yet I don't think, but I suspect that might be the future of customising in general.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 13, 2017, 08:23:14 AM »
I'm happy for G1 merch, but I'm getting tired of seeing certain ponies, as if they were the only ones who ever existed. I'm not saying we need toys of every single pony and I know there are way too many, even among the most popular, well known and quintessential ponies. But seeing Applejack, Minty, Glory, Starshine,  Gusty and Firefly is getting tiresome and the lack of of certain popular characters is confusing. Like Bowtie, Wind Whistler, Fizzy, Galaxy, Buttons, Lofty, Shady, Majesty, Morning Glory, Rosedust etc.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 13, 2017, 08:26:01 AM »
I was happy to see Windy. :) She was my first pony. But I don't like the sequin-mane tshirt with her on, it looks wrong :/

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 13, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »
I was happy to see Windy. :) She was my first pony. But I don't like the sequin-mane tshirt with her on, it looks wrong :/

I haven't seen that shirt.

lostpony

« Reply #356 on: July 13, 2017, 03:56:48 PM »
Ah the customs issue.

I bought a box of unfinished and ruined customs off eBay and I realized that customs have a limited lifespan because that paint only lasts so long etc.  One of those customs that had ruined paint was actually recognized here by a member who had created it (the green unicorn made from g3 styling pony) so my suggestion as to customs is to re-customize worn-out customs.

It's also a good solution for cancered ponies whose materials can't be fixed, although even that has downsides because at some point in the future when more ponies have degraded materials those that degraded first will still be unaltered so even the loss of those will someday be a problem.  This is assuming that people will still care about old ponies that far into the future which I think is a "problem we want to have".

The first Genie run did have some flawed units that were customized but the production quantity has at this point prevented the costs from coming down enough for these to be viable customs blanks.  It seems the project has an ongoing following so far, so we can all wish for its continued success and hope that someday production quantities will be high enough to provide us with the blanks we need.

Another solution for blanks for customs are to simply make them.  A pony that's going to be painted over can be made of an alternate material that can be poured into a home-made mold of plaster of paris made from a pony (without destroying it).  Such a customs-blank could be from a material that's less toxic to make and could be selected to take paint better too.  If no one's doing this then at some point I am gong to take a whack at it.  Possible materials include latex and silicone and all sorts of goops and fibers that might work so much better then real ponies as customs bases.  Ooops I think better and more responsible customs bases wouldn't be "unpopular" so I'm off topic  <screeching brakes>

Oh yeah I actually have a couple of those G3 movies and don't remember Spike in them.  I must have been prejudiced when I watched.  I'll watch them again.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 15, 2017, 11:20:07 AM »
I don't think the other Spikes are "incompetend". I very much stated that I merely find them annoying.
G1 for his voice and G4 because I hate that he loves Rarity. It's not cute to me and as I have read it was only put in the show to highlight how beautiful Rarity is. Kids aren't idiots. They see that Rarity has the most detailed hairstyle and has eyeshadow and big lashes. All of that telegraphs that she is the most high maintenance of the six. No need for the only boy in the group to obsess over her.

G3 Spike should have been a toy. He was book-smart, helpful and wanted to be a princess. It's as if they wanted to put him in G4 but then decided to give his character traits to Twilight :lol:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 20, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »
Animation wise-G3.5 and G4 look alot alike, so people who hate one and praise the other, have a lot of nerve.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 20, 2017, 01:09:28 PM »
Animation wise-G3.5 and G4 look alot alike, so people who hate one and praise the other, have a lot of nerve.

I'm a big fan of Gayle Middleton's work. She is most known for the look of G3 and the first Littlest Pet Shop reboot, as well as her own line, Vamplets.
The G3.5 ponies are not my cup of tea because their toy designs looked a bit like ducks and their feet were too swollen to look cute to me. But on paper they are really fun.
It is kinda obvious that Lauren Faust was tasked with streamlining G3.5 and that's what she did. She took G3.5 and added a bit more of her more angular, sleek look, making it more suited for flash animation. Her original designs are really expressive and iconic (especially RD's flying pose).
But it's similar to what Gayle did for G3. She took G1 and gave it her own touch.

So I guess that is another unpopular opinion of mine (not on the Arena, possibly): Lauren Faust is not the stand-out MLP re-designer people make her out to be. Her designs are really sleek and dynamic but my No. 1 is Gayle for bringing G1 flair back to the brand and reviving it for the US market :biggrin:
Also dislike that she pony-fied herself as an alicorn. You're not god, Lauren :angel:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:12:05 PM by Zapper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal