collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404572 times)

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #330 on: June 26, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »
snip
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

WHY CANT THIS BE A REAL PONY WEAR OUTFIT!
I know right??  I'd like to see most of the Nightmare Night costumes as ponywear, I think we did get a couple of them but I'm not sure, maybe the chicken suit?

That reminds me of something that annoys me, which is when people describe the G4 pose with one front leg bent as "the walking pose".  That is NOT a walking pose.  The other three feet are planted flat on the ground and none of the other legs are bent; the pony is not walking.
I call that the "bent leg" pose and it's an improvement but no, not walking.  As to poses, at least now some of the Guardian of Harmony poseable action figures let us put them into our own poses even though there's a disclaimer right on the box that we have to "hand-support" the poses, haha.  I'm going to make some stands to help them keep the poses I like and for now I position them very carefully so they can just barely balance and stand up on display for me.

Ah, cutie marks.  The stupidest thing about them is the name, and even the show makes fun of them, remember Applebloom's bug spray pony nightmare?  I hated the CMCs for a long time just because they keep saying "cutie mark" all the time.  I use the term "symbol", thanks G1!  Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon would tease seaponies as Blank Tails I guess.  Lastly, Zecora's mark isn't clearly a cutie mark, it could just be part of her color scheme. 

It'd be cool if we could simply agree to drop cutie marks from the show entirely and never speak of them again.  Sigh.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 26, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »
Ooooh, don't even get me started on the CMC's symbols :stressed: It took them THAT long to get them and then they're basically all the same, kinda ugly, and don't even look match their body colours?!? >___<!!!

Right?  And after all the hinting that they did in the talent show episode (and even other episodes) I figured Sweetie Belle would have a musical cutie mark and Scootaloo's would have something to do with being a daredevil.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 26, 2017, 04:38:06 PM »
Ooooh, don't even get me started on the CMC's symbols :stressed: It took them THAT long to get them and then they're basically all the same, kinda ugly, and don't even look match their body colours?!? >___<!!!

I took a look and went that is SO LAZY , and blah those colors.... meh...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 26, 2017, 04:38:37 PM »
Not to mention no new updated toys.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 26, 2017, 04:46:24 PM »
I still don't understand that.Like seriously hasbro,you sell the same mane 6 over and over with only small differences and when the cmc get their cutie mark you don't make a version of them with it when that would be a logical thing to do?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 26, 2017, 06:07:48 PM »
I still don't understand that.Like seriously hasbro,you sell the same mane 6 over and over with only small differences and when the cmc get their cutie mark you don't make a version of them with it when that would be a logical thing to do?

Hasbro use logic? That'll be the day. :silly:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #336 on: June 26, 2017, 07:26:11 PM »
Ah, cutie marks.  The stupidest thing about them is the name, and even the show makes fun of them

Although let's not forget - the name was not given to them for FiM/G4. Generation 3 is what started the term "cutie mark", I doubt the show had much of a choice but to continue using the term.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #337 on: June 27, 2017, 03:02:13 AM »
Seems to me that disliking cutie marks/the concept/the name is a popular opinion xD.
I admit that I've hated the term since it first appeared in G3 so haven't ever used it. The G4 restrictions on ponies/cutie marks/talents seems morally wrong to me somehow, by pigeonholing them into an identity they MUST have rather than one they choose to have. But I am not familiar enough with the show to know how much of an issue that really is.

@Lostpony -that spacesuit is admittedly quite cool. But G4 pony 'outfits' are so much moulded from plastic that I am quite glad they didn't make it. If Ponywear isn't predominately fabric then I'm not interested...

Lying down ponies. I guess the best you can manage here is a ballerina in 'full split' mode..?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:03:54 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

« Reply #338 on: June 27, 2017, 02:19:37 PM »
I was sure I saw CMCs with their symbols, did I imagine that?

G3's symbols are ok as Cutie Marks because they're cute, and don't have the significance of G4 symbols. 

When your symbol is a brand that dictates your life's potential I don't think that's "cute".  On the other hand, I'm not sure they so much dictate what job you are supposed to have as express your talent....real life shows us that we can have jobs that have nothing to do with our talents and further, I think the whole point of the CMCs isn't to help "find" cutie marks but to understand them....Diamond Tiara for example.  She thinks her talent is getting people to do what she wants, and even after reformation still doesn't realize that her symbol represents leadership, not manipulation (there's a difference)...the CMCs were at their best helping Troubleshoes figure out his talent, but they completely fail to grasp that they got their marks when they figured out about helping other ponies understand theirs.  It's amazing they ever got them at all considering they still don't understand what they did right to get them.  Eh.  I wonder if FiM originally intended symbols to be such a big deal or if that developed over time, because it is a bit overdone.

Yup, Taffeta, a lot of opinions expressed in this thread are off topic as they are not "unpopular" at all, haha.  I'm completely there with you as to fabric ponywear...I love the miniature sewed clothing especially when it fits right.  So satisfying.  I actually kinda like the rubber ponywear too...but not the hard plastic.  Ug.

Oh, to go on about the spacesuit some more....I especially liked the way it was physically present in the episode:  when Rainbow speaks, her voice sounds like it's coming through the helmet and in a scene where they are eating candy, the helmet is 1/3 full of candy.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:23:23 PM by lostpony »

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #339 on: June 27, 2017, 04:50:23 PM »
I'm just personally not a fan of putting people/ponies/characters into 'boxes'.
(Although I like G1 ponies in their original packaging boxes so that makes me a hypocrite).

I remember making a graduation outfit for my G3 Rainbow Dash so she could come graduate with me in 2003 when I got my first degree. She had a little black mortar board and everything. That was back when I liked Rainbow Dash because she was a rainbow pony like my first pony Windy. To bring this to an on topic conclusion...

I liked Rainbow Dash better when she didn't have wings. To be more specific, I consider the G3 Dash the real Dash and that the G4 pony should have had a different name and colour scheme.

Although I DID take a G4 Dash to my MA graduation, for continuity's sake, so maybe I'm a hypocrite there as well.

Also a weird maybe unpopular opinion I realised during this discussion.

I tried really hard to like FIM when it came out, and I watched maybe the first season, but I couldn't connect to it. I don't like any of the characters, and I don't really like when kids shows try to make out that everyone can make friends easily by being 'nice'. It happens in a lot of shows, but that's not reality and it really isn't helping the kids who struggle to make friends because they are different or shy or awkward. So I never could get into FIM and I really don't like the Mane 6. Most of them annoy me.

The reason that this is an odd unpopular opinion is that although those same mane 6 have the pretty much exact same personalities in the Equestria Girls movies, I don't find them annoying. I don't dislike any of them. Which to me is really weird. I think the reason I dislike FIM and don't dislike EQG characters even though they are principally the same is because of Sunset Shimmer running like a connective thread through their friendship. Even though every EQG movie ends in exactly the same way, the fact Sunset Shimmer's character evolves and goes full circle actually makes the Mane 6 attractive characters to me in a way they aren't in the FIM cartoon.

I have no idea if Sunset Shimmer is ever in FIM, nor do I know how they explain the so far unexplained fact that she apparently doesn't have a human twin in that world already, but basically Sunset Shimmer is the reason I find the Mane 6 bearable. Even though she isn't part of the mane 6.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

« Reply #340 on: June 28, 2017, 12:40:03 AM »
Taffeta, that's a lot more well thought out than a lot of people who don't like FiM.  It sounds like you really did try hard to give it a fair shot.

However, lots of people like Sunset Shimmer, so as to that I'm afraid you are off topic, haha.

But seriously, that's a great point as to EQG.  It really does change the dynamic a lot to have her there.

I like G3 Rainbow Dash too, a lot, so I drew a G1 version only with wings.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 02:23:54 AM by lostpony »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 28, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »
I think the CMC's cutie marks are the colors they are because they have each of the 3's mane/tail colors in them but I agree their marks could have been a lot better designed.

Petite ponies are cute but I can't bring myself to pay $15-$40 for a single petite pony.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 28, 2017, 01:20:51 PM »
I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion or not, but upon closer look at the Cutie Mark Crusaders' Cutie Marks, I think that the show isn't letting them live up to their true potential if their cutie marks are supposed to tell them where their talents lie.

Sweetie Belle's has a music note in the middle, which, to me, says that she could have something more to do with music.

And Scootaloo's is a wing with a thunderbolt inside.  Are they teasing her because she can't fly very well or will some upcoming episodes reveal that her hard work pays off?

Applebloom's has a heart in the middle, so she could become a matchmaker type of character if she can learn not to do dumb things when meddling in other ponies relationships.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 28, 2017, 01:21:08 PM »
I think the CMC's cutie marks are the colors they are because they have each of the 3's mane/tail colors in them but I agree their marks could have been a lot better designed.

Petite ponies are cute but I can't bring myself to pay $15-$40 for a single petite pony.

Ponyfan

For something that small, neither can I.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 12, 2017, 03:21:35 PM »
I don't like sea ponies.

This is shocking to me to read on the Arena of all places :lol:

Here is a nitpicky one of mine:
I don't like the name "Twilight Sparkle". It sounds like a Frankenstein name. Might as well call Rarity "Glory Sparkle" - that would at least make sense :P

-I love customs but I hate it when people use non-baity G3s as a base. They are becoming rare.

-G3 Spike is best Spike. G1 and G4 are both annoying.

-Male ponies in G4 have really ugly designs (there are only a few exceptions) and I hate the ones with humanoid beards or the fact most of them have short manes and boring color schemes to make them less ~girly.

-The songs in G4 aren't that great. Other cartoons have similar material and that's ok.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:49:12 PM by Zapper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal