collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404748 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #285 on: June 02, 2017, 10:54:37 AM »
There is one thing that bugs me about Hasbro in the G1 line: Why did they release different ponies with the same name? Take Bright Eyes as a random example. Could they not have thought up a new name for the new pony? I mean, really? Grrrr.

When you make a thousand ponies in ten years, some names may be forgotten and re-used. Plus they used some names for members of their other toylines too. They may have just liked some of the names as well. This is just my personal theory.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Cswift

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 03, 2017, 11:44:01 AM »
I don't like the 2nd set of Princess ponies.  The tinsel topknot is weird and their symbols are just random geometric shapes instead recognizable objects.

I'm with you on the hair. Tinsel in doll hair in general is one of my biggest pet peeves. The stuff takes about two seconds to crinkle irreversibly and then it just sticks out every which way and makes the doll look unkempt no matter how meticulous you are and argh. It makes me *frumple*.
"I want to live forever, with no pain whatsoever, owning vast personal property plus a company of nubiles." - Captain Fwiffo, Star Control 2

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #287 on: June 05, 2017, 09:43:30 AM »
I don't like the 2nd set of Princess ponies.  The tinsel topknot is weird and their symbols are just random geometric shapes instead recognizable objects.

I'm with you on the hair. Tinsel in doll hair in general is one of my biggest pet peeves. The stuff takes about two seconds to crinkle irreversibly and then it just sticks out every which way and makes the doll look unkempt no matter how meticulous you are and argh. It makes me *frumple*.

I can sort of relate to that with dolls, though I tend to put up with it in ponies. My favourite Jem character is Jetta, but because her doll has tinsel, she is not my favourite there. I did actually rip all the tinsel out of one of my more battered Jetta dolls. She looked so much better for it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 05, 2017, 09:52:46 AM »
I think some of the UK names for the Big Brothers are better. I used to call my Salty Tugboat, because I didn't understand and thought it was stupid. Still do actually. Imagine my surprise when I found out here his UK name is Tug.

Tracks and Trucker make more sense.  I don't know if Chief, Tex, Wigwam and Barnacle have different names over there?

Slugger's  name suits him best. First Base I get, but it also has uh... different connotations.

I think Chief should have either had red/yellow hair or red/blue hair and been given a different name. I know there are Fire Chiefs, but kids are more likely to associate white, yellow and blue with Chief of Police. I kinda wish there was a cop pony with Chief's color scheme.

Post Merge: June 05, 2017, 10:33:58 AM

I'm not to keen on the newborn poses. I think G3 babies are precious. Wish they'd made more pegasus and added some baby unicorns.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 08:26:03 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #289 on: June 05, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »
You guys inspired me to look up the 2nd set of princess ponies and you're right, one has a shield symbol and one has a tulip. Sunbeam has a circle, but I guess that could count as a very abstract representation of the sun?  So as a group, I don't mind them as much as I first thought. ;)  I still am not fond of Pristina's parallelogram or Taffeta and Misty's ovals though, lol.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 05, 2017, 01:10:04 PM »
You guys inspired me to look up the 2nd set of princess ponies and you're right, one has a shield symbol and one has a tulip. Sunbeam has a circle, but I guess that could count as a very abstract representation of the sun?  So as a group, I don't mind them as much as I first thought. ;)  I still am not fond of Pristina's parallelogram or Taffeta and Misty's ovals though, lol.

I always thought they were meant to be pendants.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 05, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »
I think some of the UK names for the Big Brothers are better. I used to call my Salty Tugboat, because I didn't understand and thought it was stupid. Still do actually. Imagine my surprise when I found out here his UK name is Tug.

Tracks and Trucker make more sense. 
*polishes her crystal ball* xD
I don't know if Chief, Tex, Wigwam and Barnacle have different names over there?

Nope. It's Tracks for Steamer, Tug for Salty, First Base for Slugger and Trucker for 4Speed. The ones you mention above have the same names.

Slugger's  name suits him best. First Base I get, but it also has uh... different connotations.
I know the meaning you mean, LOL, but that meaning isn't really in the UK. If Crumpet had been sold here though, hers does...

Slugger is also not a very UK word, so it always sounds to me like he spends his time distributing slug pellets. It's not really common in British slang to talk about 'slugging' a ball (although we do have 'slogger', which means someone who works hard, dunno if that is also stateside) but although we don't really have baseball here, we do have rounders which has bases and is similar, so I guess Hasbro didn't really think it through on a wider scale.

I remember when Kiwi Tart the G3 first appeared in stores she appeared in New Zealand, which just kind of showed that they don't always think these things through...

Going back on topic, another unpopular opinion I have which relates to names is that Cherry Berry is the proper name for one of the ponies in the G1 Sundae Best set, because it appears on a US catalogue promo photo as the name on a MOC pony, even though it only ever made it to store shelves as a pony name in the UK. Cherry Berry does not belong to G4. Cherry Berry comes from G1 and I think Hasbro's colouring of the G4 Cherry Berry is too coincidentally close to the G1 pony to be an accident. In short, my unpopular opinion is that the UK name here is the official and original name.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 05, 2017, 04:22:55 PM »
Step away from the crystal ball. :silly:

Thanks for verifying which boys had which names.

It's always neat hearing about differences and names from other parts of the world.  I've never heard of rounders before.

No, Hasbro doesn't always think things through. I can think of quite a few examples in and out of the MLP franchise that's rather questionable since we hit adulthood and  acceptance of words and social attitudes shift over time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:27:58 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
Step away from the crystal ball. :silly:

Meanie . :P  xD
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 20, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »
It personally irritates me that people swap genders. I would never argue with them over it, because they're not my toys and that's just rude, but it bugs me all the same.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 21, 2017, 08:24:42 AM »
It personally irritates me that people swap genders. I would never argue with them over it, because they're not my toys and that's just rude, but it bugs me all the same.

On one of the pony cassettes I was listening to the other day, it stated Moondancer was a he. That was an American cassette. It confused me because I am sure Moondancer is 'she' on the backcard...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 21, 2017, 08:27:37 AM »

On one of the pony cassettes I was listening to the other day, it stated Moondancer was a he. That was an American cassette. It confused me because I am sure Moondancer is 'she' on the backcard...

Really? That's interesting.

Offline Olympus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 21, 2017, 08:39:30 AM »
Ooh! Can I jump in on this?

- I don't like Trixie. Like... at all. I don't understand her appeal.

- Aside from a few certain ponies, I don't like G3 all that much.

- Ponywear is kind of silly and unnecessary.

- Were there any male Flutter Ponies? I feel like there should be more male Flutter Ponies.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:50 AM »

Really? That's interesting.

Yep. There's one UK book as well that I *think* switches genders between the first and second edition for some of the ponies (Seashell maybe? Applejack maybe?) Someone probably remembers more clearly. And of course newborn twin Sniffles with the horn is a boy officially in the UK and not in the US.

I sort of agree with you. I mean, it's up to every person to choose, but I try to keep the genders as they are. I think it's fine for Baby Schoolbag and for Sportstime to be slightly less "macho" boy ponies, and I think it's cool for Sniffles to be a boy, because it means that (in the UK at least) there's a first generation unicorn.

I wish my keyboard still remembered how to type the number that comes before 2. It is very hard to talk about generation one ponies without that number key functioning.

@ Olympus - I don't really know Trixie's character, but I think she's one of the prettier G4 pony toys. I think she's a bit of a narcissist in the show? I can imagine how that might put someone off her...

Ponywear is both silly and unnecessary. But sometimes that makes it fun. I always wanted to be able to dress my ponies up in a spacesuit. That is still a dream unfulfilled, as I still don't have a complete Ponynaut.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal