collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404688 times)

Offline The_Loner

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • My Little Pony fan
    • View Profile
    • Dream Planet - The Toys
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #270 on: May 20, 2017, 04:21:36 AM »
I like the 'G3.5' ponies. I think they are cute and were good quality, especially their hair. There should just have been waay more characters.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #271 on: May 20, 2017, 09:36:56 AM »
... I've seen too often that the men (and, granted, some of the women) involved aren't willing to extend the same courtesy to others that they demand for themselves, and instead swagger about acting like they own MLP and anyone who doesn't fit into their mold is stupid and wrong.

I've seen a lot less of this than I hear people complain about, and I think hypocrisy is a tempting two-way street.  Also bronies aren't going away with the end of G4 any more than anyone here quit being interested in My Little Pony when G1 stopped.  Diverse fans of MLP are going to have to learn to get along, and i believe one day we will.

I love the BBE babies. Moreso than the regular g1 babies.

I think super mint condition collections are boring. I prefer my ponies to be a little beat up, have some history and character!

I do like Mimic (green and parrots!!! my faves!!) but if anyone from that set deserves that amount of attention, it's Bright Eyes.

...hurt by feeling chased out of the community I grew up in because I was now seemingly in the minority and in the wrong for being a kid who liked kids toys.

I too love BBEs, Bright Eyes, and ponies with character!

I'm sorry that happened to you, SunbeamV.  I hope you can transcend that pain.

I like the 'G3.5' ponies. I think they are cute and were good quality, especially their hair. There should just have been waay more characters.

I love 3.5s too!  Yes their hair is super luxurious! and they have weight added to their feet.  they just feel so good in the hands.  While a lot of people complain about them, I know there are more of us who love them because they are kinda hard to find....if no one likes them, then where are they?

Taffeta:  It's my pony, and I'll cry if i want to.  I agree with both your position and the one you disagree with as to we can do what we want to them...I'm all mixed up on the issue.

Offline Cswift

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • }(|°v°|){
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 20, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »
I've seen a lot less of this than I hear people complain about, and I think hypocrisy is a tempting two-way street.  Also bronies aren't going away with the end of G4 any more than anyone here quit being interested in My Little Pony when G1 stopped.  Diverse fans of MLP are going to have to learn to get along, and i believe one day we will.

Oh, definitely, I've seen it the other way around too. It really bothers me when people automatically treat bronies like they are dangerous perverts. I actually recently had something happen where a friend of mine was presenting an academic paper on the brony phenomenon, and somebody actually left the room because she apparently didn't "feel safe around bronies." =/ Maybe she had a bad experience, but it was a room full of academics. What could have even happened?

Hm...another unpopular opinion...maybe this one isn't so much "unpopular" as just weird, but I feel like as the generations went on, the pony names started getting worse and worse. In G1 there's often some kind of poetic device behind them -- "Cherry Treats" is alliterative (in sound if not in spelling,) "Night Glider" utilizes assonance, "Moondancer" utilizes consonance, "Up, Up and Away" references a turn of phrase, etc. But the later you get the more you get names like "Twilight Sparkle" and "Rainbow Dash" that don't really have any rhyme or reason. It bothers me a little, LOL

Of course, G1 had some unforgivable names too. "Yum-Yum?" Really? :P
"I want to live forever, with no pain whatsoever, owning vast personal property plus a company of nubiles." - Captain Fwiffo, Star Control 2

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 20, 2017, 11:43:43 AM »
I don't think all bronies are going to disappear after G4 ends, either. Sure some of them probably will, but others are prolly in for the long haul like us :P.

Hm...another unpopular opinion...maybe this one isn't so much "unpopular" as just weird, but I feel like as the generations went on, the pony names started getting worse and worse. In G1 there's often some kind of poetic device behind them -- "Cherry Treats" is alliterative (in sound if not in spelling,) "Night Glider" utilizes assonance, "Moondancer" utilizes consonance, "Up, Up and Away" references a turn of phrase, etc. But the later you get the more you get names like "Twilight Sparkle" and "Rainbow Dash" that don't really have any rhyme or reason. It bothers me a little, LOL

Of course, G1 had some unforgivable names too. "Yum-Yum?" Really? :P

Oh, I'm definitely with you on there. I think part of the problem is that from G3 onwards, they started going for names that were easier to trademark, etc - I remember reading once (anyone remember where it was? It was the same thing where they confirmed Waterfire was named after the fireworks show thing IIRC) that they tend more towards made-up names like Scootaloo and Tink-A-Tink-A-Too because a) they're easier to trademark than generic stuff like Firefly or Ivy and b) they don't need to be changed for overseas markets, so it's less hassle. Which makes sense to me. Some G3 and G4 names are truly dreadful though :P

(G2 names got a bit weird near the end, too. Springly? Springdy??)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

lostpony

« Reply #274 on: May 20, 2017, 06:02:34 PM »
Wow Cswift, bronies are powerful!  They can drive hordes before them, merely at the mention of their name (like Monstro the whale in Pinocchio).  I must learn this forbidden jutsu...and I'd love to read your friend's research paper.

I was reading Equestria Daily for the first time the other day and found a link to a compilation of sayings by Mr Freeze in some video game, with a pony reference in it:  Harley Quinn asks him for a pony and he answers "it will make the twilight sparkle". (i guess that means it's a glitter pony)

i don't know the linguistic (or should I say "linguistical" since I'm probably using the word wrong anyway) concept for names like Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie or Lightning Dust, but they do have a certain rhythm, or cadence to them.  Names like "Pretzel" though....that's just a noun.  Rarity is an adjective (i think, it's a concept anyway not an object) and Spike's name is not only cool, but directly from G1, though he's not a pony so that's inapplicable.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 31, 2017, 11:55:32 AM »
I like Sherbert more then Scoops and Sweet Scoops.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #276 on: May 31, 2017, 12:06:26 PM »
I hate G3 plastic.
I never liked the iridescent quality to it. I remember when they first released G3 and I thought that Pinkie Pie looked sweaty.
I loved when they started releasing the tropical matte ponies... I breathed a sigh of relief.
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 31, 2017, 08:17:08 PM »
I like Sherbert more then Scoops and Sweet Scoops.

Yas, Sherbet doesn't get enough love.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #278 on: June 01, 2017, 02:25:25 PM »
I don't like the 2nd set of Princess ponies.  The tinsel topknot is weird and their symbols are just random geometric shapes instead recognizable objects.

Also the yellow one looks completely stoned.  (Although that actually makes me like her slightly more than the others, lol.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 01, 2017, 04:16:17 PM »
I don't like the 2nd set of Princess ponies.  The tinsel topknot is weird and their symbols are just random geometric shapes instead recognizable objects.

I'm with you on this one. It's a shame because I would absolutely love them if not for that ridiculous looking tinsel.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 02, 2017, 12:57:11 AM »
There is one thing that bugs me about Hasbro in the G1 line: Why did they release different ponies with the same name? Take Bright Eyes as a random example. Could they not have thought up a new name for the new pony? I mean, really? Grrrr.

Offline Khayman81

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 02, 2017, 03:40:02 AM »
There is one thing that bugs me about Hasbro in the G1 line: Why did they release different ponies with the same name? Take Bright Eyes as a random example. Could they not have thought up a new name for the new pony? I mean, really? Grrrr.
I think they were/are just lazy.
My wish list
My sales
Instagram: mlpsanti
Check my eBay profile for sales https://www.ebay.es/usr/santiagroz0

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #282 on: June 02, 2017, 04:30:03 AM »

Also the yellow one looks completely stoned.  (Although that actually makes me like her slightly more than the others, lol.)

I'm pretty sure there's a shield among the symbols? That seems quite regal to me.

I can't pretend I don't like this set, given my name, but I will say that they look better when they have the clip or the hair is not sticking up like a fountain without the clip. And Moondust is definitely a little stoned. But I like the modifications for the poses in this set a lot more than the ones for the Sundae Best for some reason. No idea why.  I adopted Taffeta sort of randomly without ever having seen her because all the names I wanted were taken, and she had pretty colours. Obviously I love her and her set, but I have no idea why their poses offend me less than the Sundae Best.

They only did this in the US. With one exception, in the UK line all ponies had different names. Duplicated names in the US line were either renamed in the UK line to have their own name, or they weren't sold here. (Bright Eyes was the latter). In the US, there are three ponies called Sea Breeze - an adult sea pony, a baby sea pony and a tropical pony. In the UK, there are none - we had neither sea pony here, and the tropical pony is Surfing Days.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SilverHorsey

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I am made of horses and ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 02, 2017, 08:58:11 AM »
I like G3.5 :lookround:
Formerly known as bigmylittleponyfan