collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404618 times)

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #225 on: April 16, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »
You'll have to try to track her down from another collector, but you'll probably have to search a long time like I did!

Glory is easy to find. I think not that many people bought Firefly.

http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/2/29/Hamilton-glory-figurine.jpg

They were retro ones made I'm not sure what year, at a time I was on hiatus from collecting. Apparently they would have made Sunbeam and Medley, but they were really unpopular with collectors because they didn't look like the ads.

Never saw the ads so I didn't have to be let down. :lol:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:51:38 PM by ponycake »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #226 on: April 16, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »
WHOA!! I've never seen that Firefly before. She's amazing!

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »
Here are some old threads about the Hamilton figures:

http://www.mlparena.com/archive/Forums/viewtopic/p=960646.html
http://www.mlparena.com/archive/Forums/viewtopic/t=47491/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html
http://www.mlparena.com/archive/Forums//viewtopic/p=1270672.html
http://www.mlparena.com/archive/Forums/viewtopic/p=262547.html
http://www.mlparena.com/archive/Forums/viewtopic/p=1457345.html

Could've sworn I've seen bigger threads about them before, but I couldn't find them.. oh well.

Not sure what I think about them; I don't hate them, but something about their faces bothers me, I can't put my finger on it. They're pretty nice aside from that, though :) tho I can understand being disappointed since apparently they were quite different from the ads (dunno if I've ever seen the ads so I can't comment on that, heh).

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2017, 03:39:35 PM »
I wish I could see the original ad.

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »
Oh... is this unpopular? I think that cheese sandwich pony is just... a thousand times no.

Another unpopular one.. I love those retro g1 porcelains, especially Firefly! It seems like none of you guys bought her so it was SOOOO HARDDD for me to track one down to buy. I finally did though. :heart:

Like ok, slightly off/strange, but I love it still.

I've never seen that before. She's mostly alright , her head is turned wrong is all.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #230 on: April 16, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »
Shatter v plastic degradation: someday these ceramics may be the last close-to-accurate G1s.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #231 on: April 16, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »

Yeah but nothing in that episode was anything inappropriate or unenjoyable for their target audience. Not every single thought or idea bronies have is something that's inappropriate for kids.
This is taking the thread off topic but you have missed my point. I never said anything about inappropriate for kids, I said exactly what you said about things that are fan aimed that go over the heads of the target audience but are not per se inappropriate. Kid's shows are full of them, and there's a reason so many adults like it as well as kids. G3 had a very defined demographic, but I don't think G4 does, even if it began that way. We have G4 toys aimed at toddlers, and I don't think you'd say the show was aimed at them specifically either. G4 is aimed "at kids" and they'll take any that want to watch it. To achieve that, they probably insert a mix of things different age groups can pick up on. I don't think FIM is for little kids or that the demographic is different from EQG. I think it just lacks continuity and thus development of many characters in a past-present-future way, unlike EQG where Sunset Shimmer has continuity in a past-present-future way. But this is possible because EQG has fewer animated films and they are longer, whereas FIM is churning out short weekly episodes. Format is what is different here in my opinion.

I also know people who grew up with and were fans of Jem from age five or so, even though Jem was probably "targeted" older. So it isn't an exact science anyway.

And we should end this diversion topic, as it's not discussing unpopular opinions. Unless of course my opinion that FIM is kid safe but still contains stuff to appeal to older fans is unpopular. Specific toy lines within FIM have a target audience. The show is a catchall.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 05:58:03 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

« Reply #232 on: April 16, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »
Well except possibly for an occasional sippy-cup, the toys are all rated 3 and up so that at least is clear as to demographics. Unfortunately this means i can never find baby stuff in pony prints for my pony plushes and newborn stuff all fits Buildabear ponies.

Is it unpopular to think my pony plushes should be wearing pony printed newborn clothes etc? Plenty of generic n disney stuff etc but just not the same. Dont moms want to clothe their newborns in mlp with mlp pacifiers, diaper pins and toys?!

Probably just me. My opinions are by definition probably unpopular.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2017, 05:12:06 AM »
Well except possibly for an occasional sippy-cup, the toys are all rated 3 and up so that at least is clear as to demographics. Unfortunately this means i can never find baby stuff in pony prints for my pony plushes and newborn stuff all fits Buildabear ponies.

Is it unpopular to think my pony plushes should be wearing pony printed newborn clothes etc? Plenty of generic n disney stuff etc but just not the same. Dont moms want to clothe their newborns in mlp with mlp pacifiers, diaper pins and toys?!

Playskool line is ages 0-3 depending on the toy.

They have baby MLP onesies/rompers. And awhile back they had bibs/socks/bows etc for babies as well.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 17, 2017, 05:17:47 AM »

Playskool line is ages 0-3 depending on the toy.

That was what I was referring to. Hasbro are not defining the age that the series is aimed at - it's going for all levels and genders. Thinking otherwise is a naive business strategy. If you can get all the kids with one product theme, why not? It's not that different from what Disney does, and you can't tell me that the silhouette of a hanging man or a battlefield of implied corpses in animated Disney films means that Tarzan and Mulan are not appropriate for small children? The small kids just don't see those implications - and MLP is no different. It's like if you ever watched Nightmare Before Christmas as a kid and then as an adult - it's a lot more disturbing when you're older, because you understand some of those themes but as a kid you just saw Jack dress up as Santa and weirdify Christmas.

Regarding the Hamilton figures - what bothers me about that Firefly is that her head looks more like a Mountain Boy/adult boy pony's mould than Firefly. It looks like someone put Daddy Bright Bouquet's head on a pegasus body, then dyed it pink.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:22:25 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline biancaferrando

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Ferrando
« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2017, 05:34:55 AM »
I don't like G2... they look un-definined to me, like parts of the face are missing or something. Not a fan of flutter ponies, and I have mix feelings about the SHSs, they look very alike G2, except they have a face sorta.
lol @ some of the comments about Gusty...
It's not that I don't like the So Soft ones... they are just such pain to restore I am starting to dislike them a little.
I do not like Moondancer pose at all, to me it makes the pony look utterly ungraceful. My favorite poses are probably Medley and the 2 legs standing of So Soft, dynamic and harmonious looking.
I confess my least favorite (ugly I dare say) color combination are the Xmas themed G1 ones... that green and that red is just... no.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 17, 2017, 05:44:21 AM »

I do not like Moondancer pose at all, to me it makes the pony look utterly ungraceful.

I agree with this. I used to think it looked like she'd been sat on.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 17, 2017, 08:01:02 AM »
I don't like G2... they look un-definined to me, like parts of the face are missing or something. Not a fan of flutter ponies, and I have mix feelings about the SHSs, they look very alike G2, except they have a face sorta.
lol @ some of the comments about Gusty...
It's not that I don't like the So Soft ones... they are just such pain to restore I am starting to dislike them a little.
I do not like Moondancer pose at all, to me it makes the pony look utterly ungraceful. My favorite poses are probably Medley and the 2 legs standing of So Soft, dynamic and harmonious looking.
I confess my least favorite (ugly I dare say) color combination are the Xmas themed G1 ones... that green and that red is just... no.

Actually, a lot of people aren't particularly fond of the Moondancer pose.  The body is too round and potatoey for lack of a better description, the legs are uneven and the gait is strange. The face is off compared to the Glory pose. I'm curious to see how much better the tweaked version is on Princess Misty. Still Moondancer and Sunbeam are very pretty ponies.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #238 on: April 17, 2017, 11:01:24 AM »
The Hamilton Collection statuettes are actually resin, not porcelain. :)

I ordered Glory when she was first offered, but she was SUCH a disappointment compared to the advertisement. Unfortunately it's really hard to find the advertisement any more . . . SOmeone must have it though.  It was in one of those sets of Sunday newspaper ads on September 25th, 2005.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:15:33 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 17, 2017, 03:22:03 PM »
I agree with the Moondancer pose and also  dislike the Powder pose.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal