collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404651 times)

Offline starberry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #210 on: April 14, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
I'm not sure if I like the backcards/art for later G1 UK/euro ponies, in those they look somewhat knock-off or hippo-ish compared to the earlier g1 art.  :lookround:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 14, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »
I really don't like Starlight Glimmer. I could say I hate her, in fact. No part of me believes she could ever be fully reformed. I still believe she's just secretly masquerading under the guise of being a good guy just to learn all the ins and outs of the Mane 6 and eventually exploit their weaknesses so she may take over the world.

Ssssssh! You're giving away the Season 7 finale.
This has spawned an unpopular opinion from me, who doesn't even watch FIM and who has seen maybe one season total.

The idea of someone playing the mane 6 back on their friendship is magic game by pretending to be friends with them in order to do something horrible is a depth of storyline continuity and planning that would probably make me more interested in the show.

So I would actually like it if that were the case with a character, instead of them all buckling to the brainwashing sooner or later.

I will also add that one reason I like EQG animation better is that even after she has been 'saved', Sunset Shimmer remains somewhat conflicted and mistrusted by others - a character development continuity that I love. I've not seen seven, eight seasons of FIM but from what people have said here continuity doesn't really happen...

So I would absolutely start watching FIM if there was a continuous psychological game going on behind the scenes with someone playing the Mane 6 at their own game.

Feel free to throw the tomatoes, but though I have only ever seen the toy, that image of Starlight Glimmer now makes me like her a whole lot more.

I looove this idea and I don't watch the show, either. :B

Oh, and I like Megan, Molly and Danny, too. I didn't think I would - I'm not usually a fan of humans in stories like this (that's what I hated about the Sylvanian Families cartoon) - but I do. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 14, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »
I like My Little Pony Tales. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

lostpony

« Reply #213 on: April 14, 2017, 05:28:40 PM »
I like the couple of songs ive seen from pony tales "she's so much better than me" so real.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2017, 08:11:32 PM »
I really don't like Starlight Glimmer. I could say I hate her, in fact. No part of me believes she could ever be fully reformed. I still believe she's just secretly masquerading under the guise of being a good guy just to learn all the ins and outs of the Mane 6 and eventually exploit their weaknesses so she may take over the world.

Ssssssh! You're giving away the Season 7 finale.
This has spawned an unpopular opinion from me, who doesn't even watch FIM and who has seen maybe one season total.

The idea of someone playing the mane 6 back on their friendship is magic game by pretending to be friends with them in order to do something horrible is a depth of storyline continuity and planning that would probably make me more interested in the show.

So I would actually like it if that were the case with a character, instead of them all buckling to the brainwashing sooner or later.

I will also add that one reason I like EQG animation better is that even after she has been 'saved', Sunset Shimmer remains somewhat conflicted and mistrusted by others - a character development continuity that I love. I've not seen seven, eight seasons of FIM but from what people have said here continuity doesn't really happen...

So I would absolutely start watching FIM if there was a continuous psychological game going on behind the scenes with someone playing the Mane 6 at their own game.

Feel free to throw the tomatoes, but though I have only ever seen the toy, that image of Starlight Glimmer now makes me like her a whole lot more.

I think the main difference here is that Hasbro created EG to appeal to an older demographic than what they are aiming FiM at.  Therefore, EG is allowed to have slightly more sophisticated plot lines/continuity.

lostpony

« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2017, 09:19:41 PM »
I got the same feeling from EG.  At some age ponies are less cool (i suppose) and the same viewers would be moving on to pre-teen programming.

Something is definitely going to happen to Starlight tomorrow...she gets sucked into some pentacle spell she works on with Starburst and I didn't see her mentioned in the next episode hints so...I'm sure she'll be fine.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2017, 03:14:13 AM »
The Tootsie pose is one of my favourites. :P

I'm not sure if I like the backcards/art for later G1 UK/euro ponies, in those they look somewhat knock-off or hippo-ish compared to the earlier g1 art.  :lookround:

I agree! They seem to shout at you with their overly bright, clashing colours. And the ponies have really weird blown-up, square faces. :lookround:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:22:32 AM by Regenveertje »

He knows that they're the fool...

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2017, 06:44:35 AM »
If we're talking about the neon pink G1 cards, I totally agree. That and the shared story laziness.

As for the age target of EQG vs FIM, that sort of jars with the argument FIM is too influenced by the brony (adult) community. Moreover, kids shows used to contain grittier stuff even  when aimed at a much younger audience (RAMC is one example, but I remember kids shows from my childhood aimed at much younger kids than MLP where you had a union strike in one and a dig at government measurement changes in another.) I realise we live in a sanitised age, but if the brony community is an element in decision making, then..?

Target age and plot are also often a bit irrelevant since if the kid is too young to get the nuances they will pass over them, but if the kid is old enough to get them they'll get them and enjoy the show longer.

I'd say it's more that EQG has a Jem influence which FIM doesn't have. And Jem was always very nuanced (albeit probably aimed a bit older).

Moving on - I also love MLP Tales. Though I prefer the comic version of Bright Eyes as she is less bossy. I probably like MLP Tales better than the other G1 animation.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:46:12 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 15, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »
As for the age target of EQG vs FIM, that sort of jars with the argument FIM is too influenced by the brony (adult) community. Moreover, kids shows used to contain grittier stuff even  when aimed at a much younger audience (RAMC is one example, but I remember kids shows from my childhood aimed at much younger kids than MLP where you had a union strike in one and a dig at government measurement changes in another.) I realise we live in a sanitised age, but if the brony community is an element in decision making, then..?

Target age and plot are also often a bit irrelevant since if the kid is too young to get the nuances they will pass over them, but if the kid is old enough to get them they'll get them and enjoy the show longer.

I'd say it's more that EQG has a Jem influence which FIM doesn't have. And Jem was always very nuanced (albeit probably aimed a bit older).

I don't think the "brony influence" goes past anything that's appropriate for the target audience and is similar to the occasional reference aimed at parents watching a show with their kids. Things like a reference to a character from media only older viewers would recognize or things like that that would go unnoticed by the target audience. The show itself is still very much aimed at their original target audience.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline orangepeachmango

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Which one's Pink?
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2017, 10:12:21 AM »

I don't think the "brony influence" goes past anything that's appropriate for the target audience and is similar to the occasional reference aimed at parents watching a show with their kids. Things like a reference to a character from media only older viewers would recognize or things like that that would go unnoticed by the target audience. The show itself is still very much aimed at their original target audience.

While I agree with this generally, they did release that 100th episode that was entirely fanservice. The pony team IS listening., and they Do know about all the stuff bronies do and it does influence the show.

wishlist

Online MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2017, 10:27:20 AM »
Here's an unpopular opinion of mine that seems unpopular both here and in the brony fandom - I don't think "Muffin Pony" stole "The Last Round Up" from Applejack at all, or rather she didn't for me.  I was pleased to see her, I appreciated the little fandom gesture (it's okay when it's relevant and/or not in your face, in my opinion), but the rest of the episode was, and still is an Applejack episode to me.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »

While I agree with this generally, they did release that 100th episode that was entirely fanservice. The pony team IS listening., and they Do know about all the stuff bronies do and it does influence the show.

Yeah but nothing in that episode was anything inappropriate or unenjoyable for their target audience. Not every single thought or idea bronies have is something that's inappropriate for kids. The point is they still have to take what's appropriate for their target audience into consideration and Equestria Girls was aimed at older girls who would watch shows like Monster High or Jem, not bronies.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:19:44 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

lostpony

« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
Im pretty sure bronies arent generally all that thrilled by EG.

I expected to hate it because of the bipedalism alone but was surprised to find those movies most enjoyable.

Remember what i think many of us love about mlp is its childlike innocence and there is a terrible but hilarious College Humor video that refers to bronies as "emotionally stunted adults" and while that's mean, it does accurately describe me and possibly why i am so enamored by mlp. That being said, the school experience portrayed in EG is much less childlike and has a lot more politics etc so to me it definitely seems focused on an older demographic.

Disclaimer: im not calling anyone but myself "emotionally stunted". I never grew out of that phase where the smallest thing makes me throw a tantrum or curl up and cry.

Post Merge: April 15, 2017, 01:32:39 PM

Here's an unpopular opinion of mine that seems unpopular both here and in the brony fandom - I don't think "Muffin Pony" stole "The Last Round Up" from Applejack at all, or rather she didn't for me.  I was pleased to see her, I appreciated the little fandom gesture (it's okay when it's relevant and/or not in your face, in my opinion), but the rest of the episode was, and still is an Applejack episode to me.

I dont see muffins as stealing that episode either and anyone who has any opinion at all regarding that episode or the re-writing to change the name absolutely Must watch the Friendship is Witchcraft episode that parodies it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:32:39 PM by lostpony »

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2017, 11:43:58 AM »
Oh... is this unpopular? I think that cheese sandwich pony is just... a thousand times no.

Another unpopular one.. I love those retro g1 porcelains, especially Firefly! It seems like none of you guys bought her so it was SOOOO HARDDD for me to track one down to buy. I finally did though. :heart:

Like ok, slightly off/strange, but I love it still.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:46:04 AM by ponycake »

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2017, 12:44:34 PM »
Oh... is this unpopular? I think that cheese sandwich pony is just... a thousand times no.

Another unpopular one.. I love those retro g1 porcelains, especially Firefly! It seems like none of you guys bought her so it was SOOOO HARDDD for me to track one down to buy. I finally did though. :heart:

Like ok, slightly off/strange, but I love it still.
Whaat I have never seen an MLP porcelain figure with hair  :shocked: Someone tell me how I can acquire one!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal