collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404674 times)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2017, 08:57:51 PM »
I never liked boy ponies - any of them. I don't collect them. No Big Brothers, no Baby Brothers, and no Mountain Boys.  More for everyone else I guess!

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2017, 09:02:59 PM »
I never liked boy ponies - any of them. I don't collect them. No Big Brothers, no Baby Brothers, and no Mountain Boys.  More for everyone else I guess!

Oh yeah, can't believe I didn't think of that one. Me either. They seem so popular, I've never liked them at all. The Mountain Boys are the worst I think. I do not like their designs at all. Bad colors.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2017, 09:25:46 PM »
theres no reason to hate g4 just cause its new. a lot of bronies hate g1-3 because they love g4, but a lot of people who love g1-3 and hate g4 are real "first generationers" to use pokemon terms. people who think it just can't get any better than gen 1, but in reality, the newer gens are just as good or lacking in creativity as their predecessors.

I think this comment is as problematic as the comments people make about hating this or that generation. This thread is an unpopular opinion thread, though, so chances are opinions will come up that will upset some people. It's the nature of the thread and surprising that it hasn't gone into flaming so far.

But I am going to stick my neck out here and I'm going to say that it's fine to hate any element of MLP that you choose. But when you create categories into which you lump groups of collectors indiscriminately, you risk problems. As we all know, not all G4 fans are bronies. Not all G1 fans hate G4. But if they do, so what? It's not really a rule that they have to like or accept any later generation if they don't want to.

Disliking another generation doesn't make you mean or nasty. The key is not about liking or disliking ponies, but about being respectful to the fans of those ponies you dislike.

I have some of all the generations, but those I consider my collection are my G1. This is because I grew up with them. Because of that, I consider them the best generation. That doesn't mean I disrespect the others, or the people who collect them/love them/grew up with them. So long as nobody is flaming at me for loving G1, I couldn't care less what other people are into. And I think that's what really matters. Not what your preferences are, but how/if you impose those on other people like they're the only way of looking at it.

Very importantly, too - your best friend in the pony community isn't necessarily the one who collects exactly the same as you - the one who loves the same things as you might be the person you hate most. (I had that experience a long time back with Italian ponies, when it turned out that the other person at the time really into Italian ponies was also one of the most evil people the pony community ever had the misery to spawn)

I don't think it's natural or necessary to imply everyone should love all ponies if they don't want to. But everyone should treat all generations with equal respect. Do as you would be done unto, because ponies may be plastic but people aren't. Something like that.

I like G1 best but I am still travelling around Japan with a little G4 fluttershy that my sister bought me, and every night I check to make sure she is safely back in the bag because she's special and I would hate to lose her. She's special not because of what generation she is, but because she was bought for me by someone I'm close to, as a mascot for my journey. The reason this Fluttershy is my travel companion is because she reminded my sister of a G1 pony I had had as a child who was supposed to be able to grant wishes. I had her when our mother was ill, and I chose her because I thought she would bring good luck. So because of that G1 and childhood memory, Naynie bought Fluttershy for me, and because of that Fluttershy is with me everywhere I go in Japan, making memories that I send home.

So I'm a G1 collector and I will always love them best. But that doesn't make me a "first generationer". These ugly generalisations don't actually apply to all or even most collectors, some of whom have been here for two decades doing this and have seen all the generations come and go.

I think we should have got to the point where we stop labelling each other and just get on with it now. I mean, seriously. The ponies don't know if you don't buy them, and if someone doesn't want to, that means someone else has the opportunity.

tl:dr - I guess my unpopular opinion here is that people should stop worrying what other people like/dislike and just worry about what they like/dislike instead.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2017, 09:47:35 PM »
Kingsly,

If you are referring to me it's my attempts at humor and meant with good intentions. I don't mean to be snarky.

If you mean someone else i didn't notice; i thought we were all getting along pretty well and i'm enjoying finding out everypony's opinions. There's bound to be disagreement and cross-talk in a topic titled "unpopular opinions", no?

Hey back on topic, i bet more people dislike the anypony/everypony thing than like it so i bet my enjoyment of same constitutes an unpopular pony opinion. Yay! I got another one.

Taffeta, i dont think orangepeachmango meant to catgorize or generalize people but eas just postulating a few examples and i think what was meant was closer to what you said.

Fluttershy is the Worst G4 Pony ever, haha not really but i dont like her meekness/aggression, its a bad stereotype/example but yours is very special and is a good example of how its no one's business what you like or dislike or why.  Of course, an example of why its cool to hear what others like/dislike that's "unpopular" is to help find others who share your preferences, and also to know how to avoid stepping on anypony's toes :silly: #ducks and looks for the custard pies

Edit:  What I meant to say is while I am not fond of Fluttershy as a character in the show, I particularly enjoy all ponies given as special gifts and I am grateful when they are shared for the rest of us to enjoy.  I wholeheartedly apologize to Taffeta and anyone else who might have interpreted my hasty wording to mean anything different.  I meant both that, and the little tease about being annoyed by "-pony" suffix, with the utmost respect to Taffeta and her wonderful gifted Fluttershy. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:17:12 PM by lostpony »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2017, 11:15:57 PM »

Fluttershy is the Worst G4 Pony ever, haha not really but i dont like her meekness/aggression, its a bad stereotype/example but yours is very special and is a good example of how its no one's business what you like or dislike or why.  Of course, an example of why its cool to hear what others like/dislike that's "unpopular" is to help find others who share your preferences, and also to know how to avoid stepping on anypony's toes :silly: #ducks and looks for the custard pies

I realise this was a joke, but I can't see the purpose in saying it. Even as a joke. I know you were spoofing up the thread, but singling out my travel pony in order to prove the point kind of fell flat and sounded more like you were making fun of/attacking her rather than making a general joke about dislikes and likes. Maybe needed different phrasing.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2017, 06:54:22 AM »
Taffeta you might have hit on the origin of the term brushable...even Hasbro knew better than to call them hairy.

Rainbow_Quartz thanks for feeding my illusion that your opinion as to G4 is "unpopular".

My little hairy,
My little hairy
What will today's adventure be?

Their main enemies can be barbers, a magically animated pair of scissors, and an angry bottle of gel.

Post Merge: April 11, 2017, 06:57:20 AM

Well, if you ever get any in a lot, send em my way.  :devious:

Post Merge: April 11, 2017, 07:01:09 AM

theres no reason to hate g4 just cause its new. a lot of bronies hate g1-3 because they love g4, but a lot of people who love g1-3 and hate g4 are real "first generationers" to use pokemon terms. people who think it just can't get any better than gen 1, but in reality, the newer gens are just as good or lacking in creativity as their predecessors.

I think this comment is as problematic as the comments people make about hating this or that generation. This thread is an unpopular opinion thread, though, so chances are opinions will come up that will upset some people. It's the nature of the thread and surprising that it hasn't gone into flaming so far.

But I am going to stick my neck out here and I'm going to say that it's fine to hate any element of MLP that you choose. But when you create categories into which you lump groups of collectors indiscriminately, you risk problems. As we all know, not all G4 fans are bronies. Not all G1 fans hate G4. But if they do, so what? It's not really a rule that they have to like or accept any later generation if they don't want to.

Disliking another generation doesn't make you mean or nasty. The key is not about liking or disliking ponies, but about being respectful to the fans of those ponies you dislike.

I have some of all the generations, but those I consider my collection are my G1. This is because I grew up with them. Because of that, I consider them the best generation. That doesn't mean I disrespect the others, or the people who collect them/love them/grew up with them. So long as nobody is flaming at me for loving G1, I couldn't care less what other people are into. And I think that's what really matters. Not what your preferences are, but how/if you impose those on other people like they're the only way of looking at it.

Very importantly, too - your best friend in the pony community isn't necessarily the one who collects exactly the same as you - the one who loves the same things as you might be the person you hate most. (I had that experience a long time back with Italian ponies, when it turned out that the other person at the time really into Italian ponies was also one of the most evil people the pony community ever had the misery to spawn)

I don't think it's natural or necessary to imply everyone should love all ponies if they don't want to. But everyone should treat all generations with equal respect. Do as you would be done unto, because ponies may be plastic but people aren't. Something like that.

I like G1 best but I am still travelling around Japan with a little G4 fluttershy that my sister bought me, and every night I check to make sure she is safely back in the bag because she's special and I would hate to lose her. She's special not because of what generation she is, but because she was bought for me by someone I'm close to, as a mascot for my journey. The reason this Fluttershy is my travel companion is because she reminded my sister of a G1 pony I had had as a child who was supposed to be able to grant wishes. I had her when our mother was ill, and I chose her because I thought she would bring good luck. So because of that G1 and childhood memory, Naynie bought Fluttershy for me, and because of that Fluttershy is with me everywhere I go in Japan, making memories that I send home.

So I'm a G1 collector and I will always love them best. But that doesn't make me a "first generationer". These ugly generalisations don't actually apply to all or even most collectors, some of whom have been here for two decades doing this and have seen all the generations come and go.

I think we should have got to the point where we stop labelling each other and just get on with it now. I mean, seriously. The ponies don't know if you don't buy them, and if someone doesn't want to, that means someone else has the opportunity.

tl:dr - I guess my unpopular opinion here is that people should stop worrying what other people like/dislike and just worry about what they like/dislike instead.

Well said Taffeta and the reasons for your sister buying you Fluttershy as a travel companion are really sweet.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 07:01:09 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

lostpony

« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2017, 10:27:41 AM »
Sorry Taffeta i wasnt joking you about fluttershy but only about the -pony suffix.

My general dislike of fluttershy as a character is an unpopular opinion i think among those who love FiM and i meant to acknowledge that yours is very special because she was a special gift. I have a pony like that too for the same reason. Also she looks good in that rainbow magic version and i love your current avatar image of her posed with the cherry blossom.

Sorry i tangled that up but im absolutely not attacking your fluttershy and only singling her out as a very special gift pony that is well loved for reasons i feel too.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »
I have seen virulent new Gen hate come from a handful of old school pony fans since I joined this board. It isn't the majority but it's there every time MLP changes. It happened when G3.5 came out, it happened when G4 came out, and it happened with the most recent change. This thread is a safe place and all so it doesn't bother me as much here but it sometimes makes me sad to hear something I like called "ugly".
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2017, 11:00:20 AM »
I have seen virulent new Gen hate come from a handful of old school pony fans since I joined this board. It isn't the majority but it's there every time MLP changes. It happened when G3.5 came out, it happened when G4 came out, and it happened with the most recent change. This thread is a safe place and all so it doesn't bother me as much here but it sometimes makes me sad to hear something I like called "ugly".

I feel ya on that, even if it's in reverse.

Another unpopular opinion of mine is that I'm not too fussed about getting accessories with a few exceptions.

Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a Popular Pony Opinions thread?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:02:43 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »
Here's to having a thread where people can express themselves and work out miscommunications with maturity <3 Really proud to be on a pony board where people can communicate this well!

Also, a popular opinions thread would be fun!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
 :beerchug: Cheers!

lostpony

« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2017, 12:44:16 PM »
As much as i firmly believe we all should love all pony regardless of generation, i also feel we should be and are free to dislike whatever we dislike too. What's important is to not dislike those who like what we dislike. We're not all the same and thats a great thing.

I feel a bit green-eggs-n-ham about those who wont give new gens a chance but, unlike in Dr Suess, i dont think anyone really likes to be Sam-I-am'ed about it.

LaW, what is the reverse exactly? That it makes you ugly to hear something called sad? :silly:

(Thats a joke by the way, my last one missed the mark, sorry again about that)  Other than my lame attempts to get a few laughs i think this thread has been a nice place to discuss pony opinions without any ugly.

So who's gonna start the popular pony opinions thread? Or maybe the op feels like updating this one so we can compare and contrast and keep it fresh before we end up "going around in circles" as it is so tactfully sometimes put. I bet when we examine them closely, some popular opinions might turn out to be less popular than we assume.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »
I always thought that Hasbro should make a line of ponies that looked like the designs from Rescue at Midnight Castle.  Glory was my favorite in that movie.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »
As much as i firmly believe we all should love all pony regardless of generation, i also feel we should be and are free to dislike whatever we dislike too. What's important is to not dislike those who like what we dislike. We're not all the same and thats a great thing.

I feel a bit green-eggs-n-ham about those who wont give new gens a chance but, unlike in Dr Suess, i dont think anyone really likes to be Sam-I-am'ed about it.

LaW, what is the reverse exactly? That it makes you ugly to hear something called sad? :silly:

(Thats a joke by the way, my last one missed the mark, sorry again about that)  Other than my lame attempts to get a few laughs i think this thread has been a nice place to discuss pony opinions without any ugly.

So who's gonna start the popular pony opinions thread? Or maybe the op feels like updating this one so we can compare and contrast and keep it fresh before we end up "going around in circles" as it is so tactfully sometimes put. I bet when we examine them closely, some popular opinions might turn out to be less popular than we assume.

Don't make me come over to your house with green eggs n ham Sam! I'll dye them so green the grass will feel embarrassed! ;)

I meant it bugs me when newer fans call older gens ugly.

I dunno who should start the popular pony opinions thread. We can always paper scissors rock for it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:41:14 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2017, 02:35:04 PM »
Sorry Taffeta i wasnt joking you about fluttershy but only about the -pony suffix.

My general dislike of fluttershy as a character is an unpopular opinion i think among those who love FiM and i meant to acknowledge that yours is very special because she was a special gift. I have a pony like that too for the same reason. Also she looks good in that rainbow magic version and i love your current avatar image of her posed with the cherry blossom.

Sorry i tangled that up but im absolutely not attacking your fluttershy and only singling her out as a very special gift pony that is well loved for reasons i feel too.

It's okay, I knew you were joking. I just wanted to point up the fact that it didn't quite work in a way that wasn't flamey. Fluttsi forgives you. (She actually hasn't been called Fluttershy since pretty muchthe day I got her, since we renamed her Flutter Magic at that point and now she's known between sister and I as Fluttsi. I still intend to post a brief account of her adventures on here when I get home and have proper time to do it).

Also you are forgiven because you not only knew which g1 pony, you got her UK name right as well :)

Digressing.

Going back on topic.

I'm not a huge fan of G4 animation, but I have to admit that I find the EQG animation more watchable than the basic FIM. I think it's largely on account of Sunset Shimmer, plus the fact Rainbow Rocks was essentially Jem rehashed...but I am pretty sure that is an unpopular opinion.

I also don't like G3/4 Minty, nor do I consider her the cornerstone posterpony of G3. That dislike goes back to when G3 first came out and she was in that duck-pose. I also am not a fan of her colour scheme. I have absolutely zero understanding why people are so keen/were so excited to see her appear in G4. While we're on the Minty subject, I'm also not a fan too much of the G1 pony. The collector ponies bar Cotton Candy and Blossom were largely irrelevant here in stories and Minty isn't even the right colour in the Fact File. I would have liked her better had she been the purple and white pony pictured in that than what she really turned out to be.

Further to this I am not obsessed with pale green ponies and I genuinely don't understand why so many people are.

Additionally, I still resent Hasbro for ruining the G3 season ponies by insisting on rehashing them as freebies with other sets and then topping it all off by producing Crystal Crown as a very poor imitation of Winter Snow. The one really nice set the UK and Europe had was totally the victim of commercialism. And I still hate and won't own a Crystal Crown to this day.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:03:26 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal