collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 408613 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2595 on: January 25, 2022, 12:41:47 AM »

This is a good analysis! There is something impressive about those simple designs that get it "just right". I think Posey is another one example where the design elements come together very well (she's popular for a reason!)

Thank you, thank you! :woot: I love analyzing all kinds of character designs!

Now to not derail the topic too much uhhhh I know BasicFun!Moonstone's body colour is a bit greyer than the original's pastel blue, but I kinda like that too  ;)

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: February 08, 2022, 11:11:39 PM »
I think Gingerbread looks better with a slightly yellowed faded color than her original bright white color. She looks more "toasty" for lack of a better word, which I think suits her cookie theme better.

Offline sunshinedim

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: February 10, 2022, 09:42:56 AM »
Unpopular opinion: I loved the fact that humans and humanoid characters like the witches were in the first generation of MLP. It somehow made the world more believable  to 5 year old me and I.... dreamed of the day Wind Whistler would come to take me away to ponyland.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: February 10, 2022, 10:14:58 AM »
Unpopular opinion: I loved the fact that humans and humanoid characters like the witches were in the first generation of MLP. It somehow made the world more believable  to 5 year old me and I.... dreamed of the day Wind Whistler would come to take me away to ponyland.

:woot: :hifive:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #2599 on: February 10, 2022, 10:18:28 AM »
I don't really like the sitting pose. Sorry.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: February 10, 2022, 12:23:22 PM »

To me it was always one of the best thing about the ponies, that they were friends with human kids and let them ride on their backs, especially the pegasi
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2601 on: February 10, 2022, 04:41:19 PM »
I don't really like the sitting pose. Sorry.

Agreed!!

On the humans in MLP, I'm on the weird side of no to actual humans but not so troubled by humanoid or non pony characters. I hate the movie witches, they're the peak of annoyance, and never accepted Megan...but I liked the Weather Witch in the comics and she's basically human.

Also a happy birthday to Dreamer :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: February 11, 2022, 11:53:44 AM »
I like the idea of the human characters at least, for basically what you said at the end of your post - like it opens up the idea to the kids watching that they could visit the ponies one day, or something, fuelling their imagination.  However, I don't mind that they never did anything further than G1 with Megan-type human characters, and definitely prefer it to be about the ponies, but I do like the idea of it, and appreciate what they were (probably) going for.

One problem with it (as I'm sure I've seen at least one person say on this forum) was that they may have given Megan too much... leadership, or whatever (I need to double check on this, even though it was only last year I got back to G1), like she seemed to be the one guiding the ponies or solving everything for them, despite it being her world, so they should have guided her more?  I dunno, I'll have to check how "bad" it was.

But other than that (and the fact that I prefer it to be mainly about ponies) I do like the idea of it, with the target audience presumably imagining that they could be taken to Ponyland one day... :lovey:
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: February 11, 2022, 02:20:51 PM »
I legit believed as a 5 year old that ponies lived over the rainbow. I also wanted a pegasus to come take me there xD.

I didn't believe in santa but I believed in ponies. Bless xD.

But I hated Megan.

Bearing in mind I had only 4 episodes as a kid and Megan is I think only in 2 of them...I think maybe it was more than just her animated persona. I generally assumed the animation got a lot wrong anyway, because of the US ponies/names.

But I flat out ignored Sundance because of Megan, poor pony. I never wanted her because I had a violent hatred as a kid of blond haired blue eyed dolls as well. Being a blond haired blue eyed kid, I did not want dolls that looked at all like me, and all the dolls at that time did -.-.

Fortunately Megan was hardly ever in the comic. There were a lot of other humanoid characters though, like Wizard Wantall and the Weather Witch and Miranda, and so on, and I never minded them at all.

So maybe I just had a lot of hate for Megan in particular.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 02:22:35 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Dreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: February 11, 2022, 02:24:57 PM »
Thank you very much, Taffeta!

As for unpopular opinions, uhhhh animated pony media has never been particularly good  :P I pride myself in finding at least one good concept or idea in bad media buuuuuut I'm still looking  :work: I like the fantasy adventure aspects but I think they could have been improved upon

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: February 11, 2022, 03:59:35 PM »
I legit believed as a 5 year old that ponies lived over the rainbow. I also wanted a pegasus to come take me there xD.

I didn't believe in santa but I believed in ponies. Bless xD.

But I hated Megan.

Bearing in mind I had only 4 episodes as a kid and Megan is I think only in 2 of them...I think maybe it was more than just her animated persona. I generally assumed the animation got a lot wrong anyway, because of the US ponies/names.

But I flat out ignored Sundance because of Megan, poor pony. I never wanted her because I had a violent hatred as a kid of blond haired blue eyed dolls as well. Being a blond haired blue eyed kid, I did not want dolls that looked at all like me, and all the dolls at that time did -.-.

Fortunately Megan was hardly ever in the comic. There were a lot of other humanoid characters though, like Wizard Wantall and the Weather Witch and Miranda, and so on, and I never minded them at all.

So maybe I just had a lot of hate for Megan in particular.

But Sundance is SO Pretty!!!!!  :wail:.

I mean, I totally wanted her as a kid.  :P

Offline Dreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: February 12, 2022, 04:28:12 AM »
And here's another one I LOVE the Whizzer pose, and how all tiptoeing legs give the impression the pony is flying/floating in a goofy way. I wish there were more ponies made in this pose

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: February 12, 2022, 06:15:07 AM »
I genuinely blanked her. Sundance is pretty, but I was always like, nope, doll. And that was that xD.

I agree with Dreamer's comment about animated pony media. My opinion of G1 animation improved massively after seeing G4, but I still am not a major fan of most of it. I like Tales for simply being its own thing, I think.

The older animation was as I said before, always 'wrong' for me as a kid. And that mattered. They didn't care enough about the names of the ponies in the cartoon being correct for UK kids, or about the ponies in the episodes, either. 99% of kids wouldn't care about it. I was the autistic 1%. Getting the pony's name wrong was an immediate no no for me.

I use the UK names but there are only a few US names that actively offend me. Sweet Stuff is one of those because she's in the animation under it, and because 'Sweet Stuff and the Treasure Hunt' was one of the 4 eps I had as a kid. I watched it a lot, but every time they said 'Sweet Stuff' it jarred on my ears.

I didn't know Scoops and the Satin Slipper existed, either, nor Milkweed and Tumbleweed, so Ice Cream Wars was a bit mysterious.

Truly and Cupcake were also 'made up' ponies in my mind, though Paradise was in the fact file so I was ok with her.

When I was 13-5 I saw the rest of the pony eps, through getting vhs and borrowing some from a friend of my sister's. The Quest of the Princess Ponies is one of the most horrible spectacles in G1 animation for me. It absolutely trashed the personalities and names of the beautiful gemstone princesses I'd adored as a kid in the comics, so I never really warmed to that at all. Even though the bushwoolies are cute, I don't like them being sold with the princesses at all because it reminds me of how horrible that characterisation is.

Not to mention they don't even get the US names right. Lilac. I mean really. :p

The only exception is probably Wind Whistler. I really like animated WW. But I guess that's the one that proves the rule.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: February 13, 2022, 07:20:17 AM »
I'd love to know the story behind "Lilac" and "Score". Normally I'd assume they were just early names for them that were changed after it was too late to fix it for the cartoon, but that's the only place those names have ever turned up, right? I know there's a catalogue page or something out there that lists some early names for the other brothers - Steamer's original name was Casey IIRC - but I think Quarterback is still Quarterback on there.. and none of the *other* boys had their names messed up in the cartoon... so what gives? It really feels like there must be an explanation for them - they didn't just get those names out of nowhere - but where DID they come from...?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: February 13, 2022, 07:27:58 AM »
I'd love to know the story behind "Lilac" and "Score". Normally I'd assume they were just early names for them that were changed after it was too late to fix it for the cartoon, but that's the only place those names have ever turned up, right? I know there's a catalogue page or something out there that lists some early names for the other brothers - Steamer's original name was Casey IIRC - but I think Quarterback is still Quarterback on there.. and none of the *other* boys had their names messed up in the cartoon... so what gives? It really feels like there must be an explanation for them - they didn't just get those names out of nowhere - but where DID they come from...?

Oh Casey would have been a cute name for Steamer! I'm trying to remember who was called Lilac? I don't think we have an actual pony named Lilac do we? I want one now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal