collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404644 times)

Offline SweetNightmare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*uᴥu *•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*
    • View Profile
    • My Carrd.co
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2565 on: November 27, 2021, 04:02:09 PM »
You are not kidding on gen on ponies I dont see them here in the states often and most of the auctions go for outrageous amounts.
Honestly - as a lifelong G1 collector - I can understand that perspective.

If I didn't grow up with G1 and collect them when they were common and easy to get at second hand sales, I probably wouldn't have so many now. 90% of my G1 collection - in terms of actual ponies - was put together before 2001. So yeah.

I think selling and buying in general was better back when Ebay was predominately private people selling stuff and more geared up to people selling to other collectors rather than some random person who found a pony in their attic and want 300$ for it even though it's dog eared and broken.

I can't speak for any local experiences you might have, but online sellers shipping internationally has always been an issue and there have always been people who will somehow find a way to make it your fault that you happen to live overseas. It is more complicated than it used to be to ship overseas, which hasn't helped, but the attitude sometimes people give over it is...a shame.

I actually don't know what G1s were or were not sold in your part of Europe, and I'm not sure if anyone's done any serious research into it. That may be a factor though. But there is also a culture of overpricing, usually by people who don't know what they are selling and want to make a quick profit.
Yeah I do always keep in mind that's the nature of trying to collect something older.

I do need to look into buying from Ebay, there were some cheaper ponies but the shipping made them two or three times as expensive. But maybe I just should look more into it to find sellers that sell multiple items that I want and merge shipping costs etc. I feel like it would make it so collecting takes less time but it's more expensive.

I haven't tried yet to get items from overseas but I had issues with people not wanting to send items from one end of a country to another so I'm not surprised that some people may not want to ship outside their country.

I actually mentioned availability of G1's in Poland on another forum post, I assume that they could've been sold here but I'm unsure how widely (I know 100% that G2's were as available as any other toy since I was around to see them in stores). I may have to look into finding and asking some older collectors from my country since I'm curious to see other's experiences and learn more about this topic.
**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚visitors can't see pics , please register or login
˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

My Checklist || My Wishlist || My Carrd.co
Signature by  starscout

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2566 on: November 27, 2021, 04:06:36 PM »
I'd love to know what you find out. It'd be super interesting!

I've always shipped overseas, back since 1998, but I haven't done any selling since COVID and Brexit happened. We now have a post office 5 mins down the road, which is the irony. But I don't know how Brexit has impacted things. Before Brexit it would have been really easy to ship ponies to Poland, and it wouldn't have been that expensive either. But now we're not in the EU, there's the risk of import duty from the UK.

However you might have better luck looking on German ebay or to other European sellers (maybe even on here) from within the EU, see what the shipping costs are like. I know there are quite a lot of French and Dutch ponypeople as well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SweetNightmare

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*uᴥu *•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*
    • View Profile
    • My Carrd.co
« Reply #2567 on: November 27, 2021, 05:43:08 PM »
I guess not everyone is able to send stuff overseas (I personally don't have a post office near me and using certain shipping options would mean going to a town near me so in most cases using that delivery option is not worth it for me since paying to get to the spot may costs more then the gain from selling an item).

I most likely will look for some sellers (I do need to probably get an idea which ponies that I want to get first, currently I don't have a proper list for G1's).
I did some French seller that had shipping that wasn't too high (they were mostly selling G2's but I think they did have two G1's for sale too).
**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚visitors can't see pics , please register or login
˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

My Checklist || My Wishlist || My Carrd.co
Signature by  starscout

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: November 29, 2021, 08:06:49 AM »
I still think g5 is kinda ugly and too g4-ish.

Pipp is kind of boring in colors, scheme and personality. She's quickly becoming my least favorite of the new core cast. She's okay I guess.

I'm not excited about the possibility of the Basic Fun Flower Fantasy set. They're just...there and I wish they'd picked a different one.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 08:12:26 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: November 29, 2021, 12:47:07 PM »
I'm sort of in the middle re: the Flower Fantasies. On the one hand, they've never interested me ("they're just... there" is a PERFECT way to describe them) and I'll almost certainly be passing on them. On the other hand, I do like that they're branching out a bit and going for a more obscure set - I like it when the obscure stuff gets some love.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: November 29, 2021, 12:57:50 PM »
I have them all I think loose but if they happen and they have the longer hair I will be absolutely up for it. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Dreamer

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: January 21, 2022, 04:27:48 AM »
Sweetheart Sisters have a nice mold, but I think my biggest issue with them is... the lack of any unique theming to them. Most of them are one colour (pink body, pink hair/purple body, purple hair and so on) and their symbols are either too basic (hearts, stars, flowers...) or too "frilly" (like those bouquet/prom-themed ones). Either way, they don't "speak" to me the way G2 does.

I love unconventional symbols (Star Hopper, Alphabittle) but I don't shy away from more classical ones. The right color scheme can make a pony really pop out, like Heart Throb! I find her "simple", but well executed: pink on pink and winged hearts works for a Valentine-themed pony, and making her a pegasus ties with her symbol and rounds the whole thing together. I love designs like that.

...And with the unicorn craze going on, I really wish a different toy franchise took off and measured up to Hasbro in a similar way Yo-Kai Watch "woke up" Pokémon in terms of popular battle-monster collecting critters. We might not have gotten much from it (YKW is definitely not as commonplace as it was a few years ago), but on the Pokémon side we got some unexpected surprises on Gen 7, so... yeah, Hasbro needs something that makes them go "Hey, we ARE the brushable horsie toy franchise here!!"

Also, I've decided baby ponies are not for me, doesn't matter the generation. I prefer adult proportions better.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 04:40:46 AM by Dreamer »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: January 21, 2022, 04:44:05 AM »
On the SHS subject, Frilly Flower and Fancy Flower have always bothered me.
This is definitely an opinion informed in part by the fact I grew up in the UK where they weren't part of the set. But they just seem so wrong all over. It's not that I dislike them as ponies, just that they don't belong with the other four.

All the others have body and hair the same rough colour, and these two it's all over the place. The names also seem kind of last minute 'what words go with flower' rather than having any proper thought put into them. And Frilly Flower doesn't even have her own earring/ribbon colour, she's pinched Flowerburst's (who already had the 'flower in the name' covered, by the way).

They just don't fit in for me.

And I also think that US Hasbro was nuts putting shs with earrings on backcards with bubble blisters rather than in boxes. What were they even thinking?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: January 21, 2022, 07:40:44 AM »
Yeah, as much as I love SHS, I have to admit that their symbols are all pretty boring. Not that EVERY pony has to have a super flashy unique symbol, but the SHS symbols do kinda blend into one for me.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: January 21, 2022, 09:40:05 AM »
I actually am fine with the original set of SHS (the two oddballs aside) in terms of their colour blend, but don't understand the point of more or less repeating it, including the colourings, for the pretty ponies. A set that I don't care at all was missed off the US list. It just seems unnecessary. If it was genuinely a beginner pony fan targeted set, at least make it stand out...?

I love the glittering shs and the prom queens, also. I wish we'd had the prom queens here. Even though, culturally speaking, it wouldn't have made any sense at the time of the release.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: January 21, 2022, 11:12:46 AM »
Wish Sprout would have had blue or purple hair. Red/yellow is not an attractive scheme without a color in the cooler end of the spectrum to break it up.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 11:29:06 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline thebluewolf

• Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: January 21, 2022, 12:53:23 PM »
I dont really know if this is an unpopular opinion or not but i honestly dont like so soft ponies all that much. Its not the ponies themselves i dont like though, its the flocking. It looks weird and doesnt age well, plus i just dont like the texture of most flocked toys.. Theres certain so softs who i think would look absolutely gorgeous as regular ponies, but they dont look as nice as they could because theyre covered in flocking.. and they never got regular releases, so theyre just forever stuck as so soft ponies which is a shame!

Despite all that though i would never purposefully deflock a so soft pony if it was in decent condition.. Ponies, especially g1 ponies, are getting harder to find in good shape every day so i would feel terrible ruining a perfectly good pony. But i would be lying if i said i wasnt hoping i would somehow find certain so softs with all their flocking already taken off so i could have the pony underneath without ruining the flocking for no reason lol

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: January 21, 2022, 01:10:11 PM »
I dont really know if this is an unpopular opinion or not but i honestly dont like so soft ponies all that much. Its not the ponies themselves i dont like though, its the flocking. It looks weird and doesnt age well, plus i just dont like the texture of most flocked toys.. Theres certain so softs who i think would look absolutely gorgeous as regular ponies, but they dont look as nice as they could because theyre covered in flocking.. and they never got regular releases, so theyre just forever stuck as so soft ponies which is a shame!

Despite all that though i would never purposefully deflock a so soft pony if it was in decent condition.. Ponies, especially g1 ponies, are getting harder to find in good shape every day so i would feel terrible ruining a perfectly good pony. But i would be lying if i said i wasnt hoping i would somehow find certain so softs with all their flocking already taken off so i could have the pony underneath without ruining the flocking for no reason lol

Some people sell deflocked ponies.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: January 21, 2022, 01:15:47 PM »
I love the glittering shs and the prom queens, also. I wish we'd had the prom queens here. Even though, culturally speaking, it wouldn't have made any sense at the time of the release.

They could have always changed the name to something more culturally relevant since a prom is just a fancy dance and I'm sure there's some kind of fancy dances you have over there.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: January 21, 2022, 02:01:16 PM »
Theres certain so softs who i think would look absolutely gorgeous as regular ponies, but they dont look as nice as they could because theyre covered in flocking.. and they never got regular releases, so theyre just forever stuck as so soft ponies which is a shame

Actually, there are non flocked versions of the so soft ponies. If I recall correctly, they were only available in Europe, and were known as the movie star ponies, on account of them appearing in the my little pony '85 movie?  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal