Pony Talk > Pony Corral

Unpopular Pony Opinions

<< < (508/547) > >>

Carrehz:
No, I'm with LaW on this one, pegasi flight being entirely based on magic is just weird/stupid. Yeah, those wings would be too tiny to allow flight for such a big creature, in real life, but pegasi aren't real to begin with... horses aren't candy-coloured IRL, nor do they interact with all the fantastical things that MLPs do... so it feels silly to me, to draw the line at "But wings don't work that way IRL!" if that makes sense?

NanoRuby:
I've always thought of even the more mundande fantastical elements of ponies as being magical as well. So things like being purple and being able to talk are also a result of magic. So magical flight isn't that much of a stretch, at least to me.

Leave a Whisper:
Let me clarify, ponies needing "Friendship Magic" to  fly is really stupid. Just as stupid,  as a picture that magically appeared on your hip the moment you found your destiny/career/whatever.

Friendship magic was never needed before. Otherwise G3 pegasus wouldn't have been able to fly, considering they were separated from the other species.

Since the flutter ponies were also secluded from the rest of  dream valley for who knows how long, they would be similarly inconvenienced. Except they weren't.

Flying ponies got wings and instincts,  they can fly just fine.

Taffeta:
For me I grew up with the concept that pegasus ponies flew because they had wings, and unicorn and earth ponies flew - sometimes - using magic. Depending on the pony. That's kind of how the comics played it. I never thought about the wing dimensions on the toys. I'm with Carrehz on this, too. I don't need to logically explain how ponies are different colours, have wings, can talk etc because they live in a different world anyway. I just never had any issues with that concept as a kid.

I also basically agree with what LAW said about the G4 stuff. But while I'm riding the unpopular opinion train, I'm  opposed to the idea of popularity clique friendship magic generally. So yeah. :) I guess I have a harder time with some of the G4 concepts anyway, because I also don't like the idea of symbols dictating destiny.

Shystar06:

--- Quote from: Taffeta on October 03, 2021, 05:36:18 PM ---I also basically agree with what LAW said about the G4 stuff. But while I'm riding the unpopular opinion train, I'm  opposed to the idea of popularity clique friendship magic generally. So yeah. :) I guess I have a harder time with some of the G4 concepts anyway, because I also don't like the idea of symbols dictating destiny.

--- End quote ---

Honestly, the G4 universe had a couple very disturbing aspects to it with this one being right at the top. The concept of your "mark" heavily dictating your life, potentially including some level of enforcement by the legal system, is frighteningly similar to a human's skin color deciding so many aspects of their life. There are downright ugly implications of the whole cutie mark = job/life system, merely beginning with the chance of getting one that lands you a job you absolutely despise.

Then we take a pegasi-level view of the world of Equestria, beginning with the fact that "the government" (two ruling 'princesses' with their parents/elders never seen)  raise/lower the sun and moon. Meaning the existence of life itself in Equestria depends upon the benevolence of a couple immortal and unelected leaders.

If THAT doesn't make you twitch and go "wait just a minute" then you need to reread the previous two sentences until the full implications sink in. More than a few very well-written fanfics dealt with the consequences for the Equestrian populace, ponies and otherwise, if just one of the pair went completely nuts, got too depressed to do their jobs, tried to seize ultimate power, went MIA one day without explanation, made a mistake, etc. The results of such a situation would instantly jack the show's rating to "R" if accurately shown within an episode or two.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version