collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 404663 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #2460 on: September 04, 2021, 09:22:23 AM »
I don’t quite know how unpopular this is anymore, but I refuse to have anything to do with G4/4.5. It was overblown, went on for too long, and got worse as time went on. Brought in some really sketchy fandom people, too. :huh:

...I suspect it's less unpopular here than in other parts of the internet xD.

You're definitely not alone. :)

Although in balance, I guess I'll add some around G4.

I like the original G4 toys better than the reboot ones, even though there are fewer poses.

I don't like 'show accurate' MLP. I would've loved show accurate fashions for some of the Jem releases back in the eighties, but I've never seen MLP as a tv-dictated show. But it's more that I always loved and still like styling pony hair, so 'show accurate' to me is like moulded hair = pretty dull :)

I don't like the fan names or animation names for the G4 ponies. Their names are whatever Hasbro put on their packages as far as I'm concerned. This is probably because I don't like the FIM fandom more than any sense of loyalty to Hasbro mind you...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MouseCardinal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: September 04, 2021, 09:26:24 AM »
I don’t quite know how unpopular this is anymore, but I refuse to have anything to do with G4/4.5. It was overblown, went on for too long, and got worse as time went on. Brought in some really sketchy fandom people, too. :huh:
I don't like the fan names or animation names for the G4 ponies. Their names are whatever Hasbro put on their packages as far as I'm concerned. This is probably because I don't like the FIM fandom more than any sense of loyalty to Hasbro mind you...
I have to agree with that, as it makes for a lot of confusion as to who is who. I'm not fond of the huge discourse that used to be around ":muffin: Pony", so I'm glad that fandom phase is mostly over with or not in any of the circles I interact in, at least.

Art by NanoRuby
Life, I love you, all is groovy

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: September 04, 2021, 10:41:10 AM »
Definitely not unpopular.   Most people agree that FiM is a good or decent kid's show and not much more.

The only ones who think that bronies are all that and a bag of chips, are bronies. People on the internet generally have a knee-jerk reaction towards them, and treat them as a nuisance. 

And many collectors aren't exactly thrilled with the poor plastic and hair  quality of the g4 toys.  Let alone the extreme obsession for a handful of characters.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 12:00:53 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: September 04, 2021, 11:57:21 AM »
It's their size I don't like, along with the lack of variety in the brushables.
Fashion Styles are a better size, but none of the CMC or other younger Ponies were made to match that.
The focus toy-wise also shifted from brushable to mini: in G4's case, blind bags. Even getting them opened is annoying. They're like toys for my other Ponies.

Back to the size of normal brushables: G4 normal size adults are the same size as G1 Baby Ponies. They're midget Ponies if you will.

My other least fave thing about G4 is my least fave thing about G3.5: repetition. We got, instead of the huge variety of characters, species & shapes featured in the show, a few token side-characters & the Mane Six ad nauseum. Even were I to get every G1 Butterscotch ever made, it would come nowhere near the amount of TS's I have, let alone the amount of TS's actually released (Yep I still don't have all the TS's ever released). It's just too much!!! Fortunately most of the TS's in my collection were easy to get hold of.

The fandom of G4 is a whole other discussion.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: September 04, 2021, 12:05:52 PM »
It's their size I don't like, along with the lack of variety in the brushables.
Fashion Styles are a better size, but none of the CMC or other younger Ponies were made to match that.
The focus toy-wise also shifted from brushable to mini: in G4's case, blind bags. Even getting them opened is annoying. They're like toys for my other Ponies.

Back to the size of normal brushables: G4 normal size adults are the same size as G1 Baby Ponies. They're midget Ponies if you will.

My other least fave thing about G4 is my least fave thing about G3.5: repetition. We got, instead of the huge variety of characters, species & shapes featured in the show, a few token side-characters & the Mane Six ad nauseum. Even were I to get every G1 Butterscotch ever made, it would come nowhere near the amount of TS's I have, let alone the amount of TS's actually released (Yep I still don't have all the TS's ever released). It's just too much!!! Fortunately most of the TS's in my collection were easy to get hold of.

The fandom of G4 is a whole other discussion.

Twilight Sparkle was my bane, more so then any other of the mane suxx. She was constantly packed in with other toys, and I got rid of most of them.  I've had 6, and of those  I only willingly bought and kept two.  The flip n flow merpony for a custom, and the one in the retro mane six pack because she actually looks like a my little pony.

Offline MouseCardinal

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: September 04, 2021, 12:27:36 PM »
Good point about the blind bags, Ponybookworm. For as much ‘variety’ there was, there were always 300 different variations of the mane six slapped alongside the other ponies in the set. Like, great, now you have three see-through pink Twilights and three more sparkly Twilights -_-

Art by NanoRuby

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: September 05, 2021, 02:40:23 PM »
One thing that I'm sure will be unpopular here... I do think that FiM ultimately deserves the praise it gets.

I do think it's overrated to the extent that a lot of what G4 get praised for, the previous generations did with their cartoons, and I'm not saying there aren't any other cartoons around the time of FiM's airing that didn't do the same things as well, but I'll never agree that FiM was "just another cartoon", because it definitely made the effort (like admittedly a lot of cartoons do), and felt like something that could have existed when I was a kid - I do admit that a lot of it was because it seemed "better" and closer to what I considered classic to what I was watching at the time, but there are various things about it, even little things, that made it stand out (but a lot of those were present in previous generations too, as I would soon discover.)

So yes, there is some overhyping to G4, at least when compared to the whole of MLP (which I found to be mostly the same thing as G4, so G4 carried on what was already awesome about MLP to me), but I do think it deserves praise for what it was and did.  It definitely isn't something that can be passed over as "just some kid's show" to me (though in fairness, no kid's show should get this as the immediate treatment, as kid's shows in general are well written and made with effort - and FiM is one of these shows.)
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: September 06, 2021, 09:24:50 AM »
I don't mind the eyebrows on G5. I don't like them, but I think its because I'm used to the Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron movie/Spirit Riding Free toys having them. So they don't bother me quite so much.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 09:42:53 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline MouseCardinal

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: September 06, 2021, 09:41:42 AM »
I don't mind the eyebrows on G5. I don't like them, but I think its because I'm used to the Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron movie/Spirit Riding Free toys, having them. So they don't bother me quite so much.
I can't imagine eyebrows on any other generation, but I think G5 would look a bit bizarre without them. So I'm alright with them too; the Spirit comparison is relatable, at least in my case. Looks fine.  :D

Art by NanoRuby

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: September 06, 2021, 01:31:00 PM »
I think the pony life toys are cute/funny and think the Pony Life show is cute/funny too.

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: September 06, 2021, 03:42:22 PM »
I think all gens are good. Even G3.5 and G4

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2471 on: September 07, 2021, 12:37:14 AM »
One thing that I'm sure will be unpopular here... I do think that FiM ultimately deserves the praise it gets.

I'm no fan of FIM, and I think it promotes a few dangerous ideas (most likely by accident because of the obsession with pushing friendship at all costs) but...hrm. I was never much of a fan of the original series either, FIM actually made me appreciate the G1 series better. BUT I feel like seeing the G5 trailer, toys etc - whether I like FIM or not, it was fresh, and it was trying to be new, and it didn't have a really annoying colour palette.

Mind you I still feel the problem with G5 is that it's hanging on G4's coattails. That's not an insult to G4 so much as G4 has already run its course. So this brings me to another unpopular opinion. With hindsight, I'm glad G2 was as different from G1 as it was. At the time it caused so much controversy, but thinking back, I realise that trying to hang on to a previous generation obsessively is not a great thing for MLP. Whether G2 worked out or not everywhere, it was at least trying to be different. And then G3 the same, and also G4 the same.

So I suppose even though I dislike FIM, I appreciate its existence more having seen the drab and tired way that G5 is being put together. It's not that G5 is controversial or offensive (aside that running-from-the-pony-who's-different scene of course). It just feels like we already saw all of it before because it's still trying to use concepts that have been used up already on G4.

By the same token - and maybe this is also unpopular - I preferred when FIM did not try and do a 'nod' to older generations, especially G1. It was better when it stood on its own narrative.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 12:38:45 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline MouseCardinal

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • You Can Call Me Al
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: September 07, 2021, 04:57:32 AM »
How unpopular is G3.5 these days? I used to not be sure about it, but I do like it a whole heck of a lot better than G4!

And I agree with that last point, Tafetta; I wasn’t keen on all the G1 ‘references’ G4 tried to shove in.

Art by NanoRuby

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: September 07, 2021, 07:17:30 AM »
How unpopular is G3.5 these days? I used to not be sure about it, but I do like it a whole heck of a lot better than G4!

And I agree with that last point, Tafetta; I wasn’t keen on all the G1 ‘references’ G4 tried to shove in.

Not very popular.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:30:04 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: September 07, 2021, 12:01:53 PM »
I hardly ever notice anything about G3.5 specifically getting posted on here, including in For Sale and Customs and Art, for what that's worth.  So I would say not very popular?  Personally, they are my least favorite gen toys.  It's not that I hate them, I just ...dislike them/ignore them.  I reckon many others feel similar.
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal