collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shelves  (Read 2561 times)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
Re: Shelves
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »
Check out the LACK floating shelves from Ikea- I liked their minimalist design (so the visual focus stays on the ponies!) and they're available in a variety of sizes and finishes. My collection is on 4 of the 72" birch veneer ones.

Looks like they are pretty inexpensive. Do you have some pictures though that I can see?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 10:10:42 PM »
I love IKEA's Billy bookcases with glass doors for dust/cat protection. My husband drilled extra holes in so I could add extra shelves so I didn't have to use risers, so it's easy to see the ponies and with only having one row I can store things like brushes behind them out of site. This was the start of my set up but sadly they're all in boxes now as we're going to repaint the whole room (purple!) and set up more Billy's. Yay, I'm finally getting my pony room!

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 01:09:27 AM »
I live in a dinky trailer and my currently displayed ponies are on the little original nick-knack shelf that goes over the 5th-wheel bed that has a little railing that makes it hard to see much so I mostly have tiny horse plushes up there and the rest are on a little shelf made of a piece of 1/4" oak shelf (salvaged from an old dresser I broke up for wood) over the entry door and I added a railing to that shelf because the ponies would walk to the front and eventually off when the door closes.  I'm putting up a couple more shelves like this over the sink in the bathroom cuz that's the only other over-head space that isn't taken up by the little built-in cabinets.

The open air does cause a real dust problem but then I have a lot of birds in here with dusty feathers and my trailer park did some illegal demolition over the summer that flooded us in nasty masonry dust that is still clogged into everything.

Ideally, pony shelves should be built into the space around the top of the room, one or two shelves tall and one pony deep, and should have sliding glass doors in the front which aren't expensive or complicated to build...would be nice if the bottoms are glass too but that's fancy to build.  The shelves throughout a room should be supplied with positive-pressure air from a fan with a filter on its intake...ideally a central low-speed ducted fan positioned such that it would be quiet and have a generous plenum after the filter before the fan so the system would be silent and go a long long time in between filter maintenance, and the ponies would be constantly washed with clean filtered air and displayed where you can see them but they don't compete with other things for space.

When I get to heaven, I'll post some brag pics here with such pony shelves...until then, it's dust and dark cardboard boxes for my little friends.

The shelves in the post just above mine are a great solution for those with the luxury of regular shelving and clean air and adding extra shelf positions was a perfect idea, looks beautiful shadowlark!  Hello Creamsicle in the middle there.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:13:19 AM by lostpony »

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 07:45:42 PM »
Check out the LACK floating shelves from Ikea- I liked their minimalist design (so the visual focus stays on the ponies!) and they're available in a variety of sizes and finishes. My collection is on 4 of the 72" birch veneer ones.

Looks like they are pretty inexpensive. Do you have some pictures though that I can see?

Here's my pony wall using the Ikea LACK shelves:

I've added some things since this photo was taken several months ago, but I think you can get a sense of the shelving. (Santa was so thoughtful this Christmas!) I like to give my ponies some breathing room so I can appreciate their poses, symbols, charming accessories and details. My preference to arrange them by color also means that the generations and merchandise and artwork are all mixed together...but I kind of like seeing the variety and juxtapositions. G1 and G4 brushables together with a G3 baby and a blind bag figure? It's chaos...but it's organized! At least to me it seems organized   :glitter::biggrin: :cool: :heart:

In our last apartment, my talented boyfriend custom built some wood shelves in an underutilized alcove behind our bedroom door. I can't find my good photos of that display right now, but here's one of the shelves he built up close- they were a darker stain, but still pretty simple, and I arranged the ponies by generation.

Let us know what you decide to go with, and hope this helps!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 08:18:58 AM by Raspberry Brulee »
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 12:00:34 AM »

I love the organise-by-colour-and-generation-be-damned look! It looks great the way everyone is jumbled together. Wondering if I could get away with doing this with mine? I will have to take photos of my shelves and post them.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 08:08:42 AM »

Here's my pony wall using the Ikea LACK shelves:

I've added some things since this photo was taken several months ago, but I think you can get a sense of the shelving. (Santa was so thoughtful this Christmas!) I like to give my ponies some breathing room so I can appreciate their poses, symbols, charming accessories and details. My preference to arrange them by color also means that the generations and merchandise and artwork are all mixed together...but I kind of like seeing the variety and juxtapositions. G1 and G4 brushables together with a G3 baby and a blind bag figure? It's chaos...but it's organized! At least to me it seems organized   :glitter::biggrin: :cool: :heart:

In our last apartment, my talented boyfriend custom built some wood shelves in an underutilized alcove behind our bedroom door. I can't find my good photos of that display right now, but here's one of the shelves he built up close- they were a darker stain, but still pretty simple, and I arranged the ponies by generation.

Let us know what you decide to go with, and hope this helps!

Oh I really like this. I'm actually pretty sure these are the shelves I'm going to go with. My only concern is there is kind of like strips of paneling in my house but I think I can take them down. Hopefully it works out. I think about three of the shorter shelves would work great for me. Thanks so much for sharing!

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2016, 10:42:07 AM »
Since I collect Star Wars merch, and knockoff dolls as well, my g3 ponies get to have the top rack on my bookshelf, while my G1s get to sit below them. In the future I'd like to give my Star Wars merch and Ponies each their own separate case, but my room is far too tiny to fit another shelf in it, so those are plans for the distant future lol

Post Merge: December 28, 2016, 10:45:40 AM

I love IKEA's Billy bookcases with glass doors for dust/cat protection. My husband drilled extra holes in so I could add extra shelves so I didn't have to use risers, so it's easy to see the ponies and with only having one row I can store things like brushes behind them out of site. This was the start of my set up but sadly they're all in boxes now as we're going to repaint the whole room (purple!) and set up more Billy's. Yay, I'm finally getting my pony room!

I am so jealous of those shelves, omg, that layout is amazing, you need to post pics when the room is all done up nice again
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:45:40 AM by Makaroni_the_pony »

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2016, 12:47:46 PM »

:drool:

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Princess Lala

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2016, 03:25:18 PM »
Im also on the hunt for cheap bookshelves! I have the Ikea 5-shelf bookshelf, its nearly 72" tall and white-very tall. I paid like $50 for it on sale, and I feel dumb because my Big Lots sells identical ones for $39ish same color and texture! On walmarts website I see similar white ones for $27 but id have to see them in person....but so far these are the cheapest huge bookshelves ive seen.

Ive been thinking about displaying my ponies all in rainbow order and making custom stair risers out of foam board from dollar tree. xD

Those multi cubical shelves that you put the cubical canvas drawers in would also be good for ponies! (They have like 9 or more squares in the middle of them!) They run fairy cheap everywhere and you could use the top for displaying, and one of those $5 cloth drawers to hide away blindbags or accessories! A few matching floating shelves above it would be really pretty!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:26:59 PM by Princess Lala »

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »
I love the organise-by-colour-and-generation-be-damned look! It looks great the way everyone is jumbled together.
Me, too! I really like this :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal