collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Benzoyl peroxide on G1s?  (Read 5587 times)

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Benzoyl peroxide on G1s?
« on: November 30, 2016, 05:50:15 PM »
I know there has already been a topic on benzoyl peroxide a while back, but it wouldn't let me reply.

So I got a big lot on ebay (20 G1s) and they were all in pretty rough shape. They weren't close to being baits, they just needed a little cleaning. Some had pony cancer, nothing severe. I didn't get any rare ponies, they were just a lot of the classics that I wanted, such as FF blue belle, Majesty, and Bowtie. I also got a Starshine, she didn't look too bad, her hair had never been cut, and overall she was definitely worth what I paid.

...But she had some weird bumps around and on her cutie mark, plus a few permanent marker stains on her right side.

I am normally not pickey at all about the quality of the ponies, if I find a cheap pony at a thrift store, I will buy it no matter what condition it is in, because it will probably look much better after I give it the treatment it needs.

But this was my first adult pony Pegasus, and I LOVE the mold. The weird bumps didn't really bother me, but the rather large blue marker stain did. I went to http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/ and found out that you can use 10% Benzoyl Peroxide acne cream on the ponies to remove stains like the one on my Starshine.

Before testing it on Starshine, I attempted on Majesty (by the way, her head was really discolored) so I put some on it and waited around 20 minutes. Then I washed it off and nothing had changed. It said that it could take a while to see results, but its been a few days, and nothing is different.

Just now I gouped some on the stain on Starshine, but I'm not sure how long to wait, obviously 20 minutes wasn't enough.

If anyone could inform me on what I'm doing (or not doing) wrong, it would really help me.

I know that this method is not the greatest, but I was hoping that it wouldn't effect any of my white ponies.  I cant sunfade it because we have a pretty weak sun in the winter where I live and it would probably take forever.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:54:14 PM by LunaMoonCustoms1212 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: Benzoyl peroxide on G1s?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 05:55:21 PM »
Wipe it off and stop using it on ponies! It continues to work even after its been washed off, can transfer to other ponies if they touch, and can yellow white ponies. Its not safe or reliable.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 06:12:32 PM »
NEVER use acne cream on ponies. it is absorbed by the vinyl and effects can still be happening decades later. It has been thoroughly villianized in the pony community for years now. Sunfading is the only way to remove stains on white ponies. Starshine is a tough case though as she can burn. You just have to be vigilant with ponies like her - check her as often as every 4-8 hours in harsh sun, twice daily in less intense sunlight. Do your research, know what to look for with sunburn.

This is the warning link provided with the acne cream section on the site you mentioned... you definitely should read it:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,377336.0.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:15:07 PM by Stormness_1 »

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 07:29:52 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't do this!  No!  You can only use HYDROGEN peroxide on ponies!  :( 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »
Wipe it off and stop using it on ponies! It continues to work even after its been washed off, can transfer to other ponies if they touch, and can yellow white ponies. Its not safe or reliable.

I did not know that it yellowed white ponies. Thanks for the info, but what happens to yellowed ponies that were originally white?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 08:28:26 PM »

I did not know that it yellowed white ponies. Thanks for the info, but what happens to yellowed ponies that were originally white?

First they will turn yellow, like nice resume paper yellow.  LOL  Then they get brown spots that get darker and darker.  Then the plastic starts to get rock hard...  :(  Poor Starshine is near impossible to sunfade!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 10:00:48 PM »

First they will turn yellow, like nice resume paper yellow.  LOL  Then they get brown spots that get darker and darker.  Then the plastic starts to get rock hard...  :(  Poor Starshine is near impossible to sunfade!

Hopefully it will take a while for my ignorance to show its effects  :(. How long does it take to see the damage?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 07:45:32 AM »

Hopefully it will take a while for my ignorance to show its effects  :(. How long does it take to see the damage?

It varies.  Could be a few hours, could be a few days, could be a few years, could start showing AFTER you sell her to someone else.  Heck, she may never show those signs but a pony that was NEXT to her may start - the benzoyl peroxide continues to spread through the very porous materials of PVC; there is no guarantee on anything now that it's come out of the tube and been applied to ponies...  :( 
The Bad Trader List

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 09:31:11 AM »

It varies.  Could be a few hours, could be a few days, could be a few years, could start showing AFTER you sell her to someone else.  Heck, she may never show those signs but a pony that was NEXT to her may start - the benzoyl peroxide continues to spread through the very porous materials of PVC; there is no guarantee on anything now that it's come out of the tube and been applied to ponies...  :(

Well, I guess I learned my lesson. They should really out more information on MLPPresservationProject.

Can you sunfade it after you start to see the signs of the Benzoyl Peroxide? Or will it just make it worse?

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 11:43:54 AM »
Can you sunfade it after you start to see the signs of the Benzoyl Peroxide? Or will it just make it worse?

Hmm, I'm not sure. :/ At this point you could try sunfading, though? (on Majesty, not on Starshine, since she will probably turn brown in the sun) You can wrap Majesty's body in tin foil and just sunfade her head, as you mentioned that it's more discolored than her body. Of course, wrap up her mane in tin foil and cover her eyes to prevent fading; you can use painter's tape cut in the correct shape. I'd recommend new, quality painter's tape, as sometimes people have had problems with even that tape leaching off in the sun onto the pony. Living in Florida, I sunfade a lot, using painter's tape, and I've only had this happen once, when my painter's tape had gotten too old. The blue marks it left did wash off in the end. But after sunfading 20+ ponies I usually don't have a problem with it. Good luck! :)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 11:51:02 AM by Haruna »

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »

Hmm, I'm not sure. :/ At this point you could try sunfading, though? (on Majesty, not on Starshine, since she will probably turn brown in the sun) You can wrap Majesty's body in tin foil and just sunfade her head, as you mentioned that it's more discolored than her body. Of course, wrap up her mane in tin foil and cover her eyes to prevent fading; you can use painter's tape cut in the correct shape. I'd recommend new, quality painter's tape, as sometimes people have had problems with even that tape leaching off in the sun onto the pony. Living in Florida, I sunfade a lot, using painter's tape, and I've only had this happen once, when my painter's tape had gotten too old. The blue marks it left did wash off in the end. But after sunfading 20+ ponies I usually don't have a problem with it. Good luck! :)

I have never sunfaded a pony, but is it worth all of the time and effort with a pony (like my Majesty) who is missing a few plugs in her hair, and her tail is slightly frizzy? I just wanna know how long it would take for a pony (in a Kentucky winter sun) to sunfade, because you probably have to check it really often, and I'm not always home.

Thx for all the great tips tho!!  ;)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 05:14:05 AM »
I have never sunfaded a pony, but is it worth all of the time and effort with a pony (like my Majesty) who is missing a few plugs in her hair, and her tail is slightly frizzy? I just wanna know how long it would take for a pony (in a Kentucky winter sun) to sunfade, because you probably have to check it really often, and I'm not always home.

It would probably take a long time in Kentucky, going by how much winter sun there is when I visit my family in Tennessee . . . 2 weeks? A month? Or more? I believe people in cold climates put sunfading ponies on a sunny windowsill because of snow/weather, but that would take even longer than outside, of course. You could make it a spring/summer project instead for quicker results. If you've decided to keep this particular Majesty in your collection and want her head white, then it's worth it, but if you'd rather get a nicer one then it's probably not, based on the pony's monetary value and the effort involved. If it helps, you don't have to check Majesty often as she sunfades; she's unlikely to burn. When I've sunfaded Majestys, I've left them out in the sun all day with no negative effects. Hope this helps a little!

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 08:38:05 AM »

It would probably take a long time in Kentucky, going by how much winter sun there is when I visit my family in Tennessee . . . 2 weeks? A month? Or more? I believe people in cold climates put sunfading ponies on a sunny windowsill because of snow/weather, but that would take even longer than outside, of course. You could make it a spring/summer project instead for quicker results. If you've decided to keep this particular Majesty in your collection and want her head white, then it's worth it, but if you'd rather get a nicer one then it's probably not, based on the pony's monetary value and the effort involved. If it helps, you don't have to check Majesty often as she sunfades; she's unlikely to burn. When I've sunfaded Majestys, I've left them out in the sun all day with no negative effects. Hope this helps a little!

Thank you!

I don't plan on buying another Majesty, as she is not a personal favorite of mine, but in the spring I will definitely try to sunfade both her and Windy. Maybe even Glory as well.

Thanks for your help  ;)

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 06:08:34 PM »
Thank you!

I don't plan on buying another Majesty, as she is not a personal favorite of mine, but in the spring I will definitely try to sunfade both her and Windy. Maybe even Glory as well.

Thanks for your help  ;)

You're welcome! Windy doesn't sunfade well and might discolor in the sun, but Glory and Majesty, being white, would do great. Good luck!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 10:09:43 PM »

Hmm, I'm not sure. :/ At this point you could try sunfading, though? (on Majesty, not on Starshine, since she will probably turn brown in the sun) You can wrap Majesty's body in tin foil and just sunfade her head, as you mentioned that it's more discolored than her body. Of course, wrap up her mane in tin foil and cover her eyes to prevent fading; you can use painter's tape cut in the correct shape. I'd recommend new, quality painter's tape, as sometimes people have had problems with even that tape leaching off in the sun onto the pony. Living in Florida, I sunfade a lot, using painter's tape, and I've only had this happen once, when my painter's tape had gotten too old. The blue marks it left did wash off in the end. But after sunfadin

g 20+ ponies I usually don't have a problem with it. Good luck! :)

In my experience you can sunfade Majesty's body but not her head. The head can go brown.

Sorry about the peroxide. There is a serious problem here but I don't want to get involved :/
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal