collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Benzoyl peroxide on G1s?  (Read 5588 times)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
Re: Benzoyl peroxide on G1s?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2016, 07:39:29 AM »
Well, I guess I learned my lesson. They should really out more information on MLPPresservationProject.

Umm, you didn't interpret any of this as a warning or the link I provided to a discussion about it? 

"These are relatively harsh treatments can fade or yellow the bodies of certain colors of ponies."  "Severe discoloration can occur with these products and the chemicals can leach on to other ponies if they touch, so these are not highly recommended."  "Many collectors choose not to use these products because of the potential damage they can cause."  "I've tried some of these techniques, but certainly not all of them.  Use these techniques with care as many of them can harm a pony if done incorrectly."  "Remember, no one knows the long-term effects various chemicals may have on ponies.  Use chemicals, even gentle ones, with caution."  "Research what you're doing and don't be afraid to try things on fakies or baits as needed.  Also, be willing to learn from the mistakes other collectors have made.  They're amazingly willing to share!"  (from the disclaimer section of the site, Creams section, and Materials section)

More than likely, your pony will be fine.  Benzyl peroxide isn't near as harsh as remove-zit and on a white pony there's a good chance you won't see any issues.  Just make sure to disclose that you used it if you sell her.

I'm a big believer in presenting people with information, and then letting them make an informed decision.  I don't like to make decisions for people.  There are times when I might use acne creams or remove-zit, if I felt the benefits outweighed the risks.  I more than likely wouldn't sell those ponies.  My husband knows that if I die and he decides to sell my collection, everything I've done to them is recorded publicly on my site.  I've only ever sold one of my restorations and the buyer knew what I had done to her, and it wasn't anything that could cause damage to any other ponies.

I'll reword those sections yet again and see if that helps.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 01:55:02 PM »
^ that does seem fairly comprehensive...
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 01:46:32 PM »
Can you sunfade it after you start to see the signs of the Benzoyl Peroxide? Or will it just make it worse?

Hmm, I'm not sure. :/ At this point you could try sunfading, though? (on Majesty, not on Starshine, since she will probably turn brown in the sun) You can wrap Majesty's body in tin foil and just sunfade her head, as you mentioned that it's more discolored than her body. Of course, wrap up her mane in tin foil and cover her eyes to prevent fading; you can use painter's tape cut in the correct shape. I'd recommend new, quality painter's tape, as sometimes people have had problems with even that tape leaching off in the sun onto the pony. Living in Florida, I sunfade a lot, using painter's tape, and I've only had this happen once, when my painter's tape had gotten too old. The blue marks it left did wash off in the end. But after sunfadin

g 20+ ponies I usually don't have a problem with it. Good luck! :)

In my experience you can sunfade Majesty's body but not her head. The head can go brown.

Sorry about the peroxide. There is a serious problem here but I don't want to get involved :/

I haven't sunfaded her yet, but her head is already an ugly tannish brown.

Post Merge: December 05, 2016, 01:49:25 PM

Well, I guess I learned my lesson. They should really out more information on MLPPresservationProject.

Umm, you didn't interpret any of this as a warning or the link I provided to a discussion about it? 

"These are relatively harsh treatments can fade or yellow the bodies of certain colors of ponies."  "Severe discoloration can occur with these products and the chemicals can leach on to other ponies if they touch, so these are not highly recommended."  "Many collectors choose not to use these products because of the potential damage they can cause."  "I've tried some of these techniques, but certainly not all of them.  Use these techniques with care as many of them can harm a pony if done incorrectly."  "Remember, no one knows the long-term effects various chemicals may have on ponies.  Use chemicals, even gentle ones, with caution."  "Research what you're doing and don't be afraid to try things on fakies or baits as needed.  Also, be willing to learn from the mistakes other collectors have made.  They're amazingly willing to share!"  (from the disclaimer section of the site, Creams section, and Materials section)

More than likely, your pony will be fine.  Benzyl peroxide isn't near as harsh as remove-zit and on a white pony there's a good chance you won't see any issues.  Just make sure to disclose that you used it if you sell her.

I'm a big believer in presenting people with information, and then letting them make an informed decision.  I don't like to make decisions for people.  There are times when I might use acne creams or remove-zit, if I felt the benefits outweighed the risks.  I more than likely wouldn't sell those ponies.  My husband knows that if I die and he decides to sell my collection, everything I've done to them is recorded publicly on my site.  I've only ever sold one of my restorations and the buyer knew what I had done to her, and it wasn't anything that could cause damage to any other ponies.

I'll reword those sections yet again and see if that helps.

I suppose I didn't think it through enough  :unsure:  I didn't take it as seriously as I should have.

thank you for this information about benzoyl peroxide.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:49:25 PM by LunaMoonCustoms1212 »

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »
Can you sunfade it after you start to see the signs of the Benzoyl Peroxide? Or will it just make it worse?

Hmm, I'm not sure. :/ At this point you could try sunfading, though? (on Majesty, not on Starshine, since she will probably turn brown in the sun) You can wrap Majesty's body in tin foil and just sunfade her head, as you mentioned that it's more discolored than her body. Of course, wrap up her mane in tin foil and cover her eyes to prevent fading; you can use painter's tape cut in the correct shape. I'd recommend new, quality painter's tape, as sometimes people have had problems with even that tape leaching off in the sun onto the pony. Living in Florida, I sunfade a lot, using painter's tape, and I've only had this happen once, when my painter's tape had gotten too old. The blue marks it left did wash off in the end. But after sunfadin

g 20+ ponies I usually don't have a problem with it. Good luck! :)

In my experience you can sunfade Majesty's body but not her head. The head can go brown.

Sorry about the peroxide. There is a serious problem here but I don't want to get involved :/

I haven't sunfaded her yet, but her head is already an ugly tannish brown.

:(

Well I'm only guessing that the thing with Majesty's head going brown is a sensitivity to UV but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily right.  Anyone else got any experience with sun fading Majesty's head?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:51:07 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 07:08:38 PM »
Well I'm only guessing that the thing with Majesty's head going brown is a sensitivity to UV but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily right.  Anyone else got any experience with sun fading Majesty's head?
Welll, the head of Majesty I had (secondhand) as a kid got brown over time just from age, I think (I didn't take her outside), so recently I sunfaded just her head, and it improved a little; it's nearly the same shade as her body now. I've sunfaded a few Majestys and they've gotten whiter and not turned brown; if their heads have been brown, it isn't always fixed entirely, though.

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 07:14:44 PM »
Welll, the head of Majesty I had (secondhand) as a kid got brown over time just from age, I think (I didn't take her outside), so recently I sunfaded just her head, and it improved a little; it's nearly the same shade as her body now. I've sunfaded a few Majestys and they've gotten whiter and not turned brown; if their heads have been brown, it isn't always fixed entirely, though.

So maybe I should sunfade just her head, and them see how it looks compared to her body. And if it matches, then good, but if the head is a little lighter then I should do the body for a short period of time.

What does sunfading do to pony cancer?

Thx for everything you guys  ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:24:13 AM by LunaMoonCustoms1212 »

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 11:18:10 AM »
So maybe I should sunfade just her head, and them see how it looks compared to her body. And if it matches, then good, but if the head is a little lighter then I should do the body for a short period of time.

What does sung adding do to pony cancer?

Yeah, you could just do her head and see if you can get it a closer shade to her body. Sounds good. As far as pony cancer, my childhood Majesty had developed pony cancer as she developed her brown head, and when I sunfaded her it didn't remove the cancer. (They're rather light spots and there aren't many, though, so it's not too bad.) So I don't think it worsens it, though it may not make it better, either. Anyone who has more expertise on pony cancer may know more.

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 02:17:10 PM »

What does sung adding do to pony cancer?

Yeah, you could just do her head and see if you can get it a closer shade to her body. Sounds good. As far as pony cancer, my childhood Majesty had developed pony cancer as she developed her brown head, and when I sunfaded her it didn't remove the cancer. (They're rather light spots and there aren't many, though, so it's not too bad.) So I don't think it worsens it, though it may not make it better, either. Anyone who has more expertise on pony cancer may know more.

Pony cancer is bromine that was bonded in the plastic to make it more fire retardant.  It's colourless when bonded as part of the polymer but as the polymers break down from age and UV light etc, the bromide comes out and  that's released.  The link between UV light and plastic breakdown therefore pony cancer is another reason why I rarely sunfade and not for very long.  Sanfading works by breaking down pigments that are sensitive to UV light.  Therefore sunfading has hardly any effect on cancer spots and certain pigments but works on others.  Basically you bank on breaking down the stain before the plastic breaks down making it look better in the short term, but you risk long term negative effects of the exposure over time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromine#Flame_retardants
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 02:19:56 PM by Artemesia Floc »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 04:44:36 AM »
I would love to see you do a thread or a website or something with all your knowledge, Artemesia. It may not be the most popular since you discourage a lot of very common practices but I'd love to take better care of my ponies. Its honestly kind of worrying/alarming that the community as a whole doesn't seem to care about long-term effects of what's encouraged until things go south, many ponies are ruined, and lots of people who may never see the new threads have this "great tip" memorized.

I know they're "just ponies" but they're far from an infinite resource when it comes to older gens :x

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »
I would love to see you do a thread or a website or something with all your knowledge, Artemesia. It may not be the most popular since you discourage a lot of very common practices but I'd love to take better care of my ponies. Its honestly kind of worrying/alarming that the community as a whole doesn't seem to care about long-term effects of what's encouraged until things go south, many ponies are ruined, and lots of people who may never see the new threads have this "great tip" memorized.

I know they're "just ponies" but they're far from an infinite resource when it comes to older gens :x

I feel the same way about ponies getting ruined.   But none of us are conservators or experts in this field of organic chemistry (that's not why we get into it, ponies are just meant to be fun).  It is a shame that we all have to reinvent the wheel and make the same mistakes.  I made some too!  I think Fardreamer's approach of collecting all the information and allowing people to make their own choices is the safest really.  If someone owns pony there is an argument that if they want to ruin it that's their choice.

I'm worried about being an 'expert', I'd have to get lots of references together.   I don't mind recommending things on an ad hoc basis but if I made a special website that's a lot of responsibility! What if I'm convinced that I'm right about something and it becomes an established practice but turns out to be wrong?  :shocked:  OK I'll think about it and maybe put lots of disclaimers all over it like :this is just my opinion:. It would still be the reader's responsibility what they do to their ponies at the end of the day, so I don't think I'd be able to add much to the information that Fardreamer has already provided.  Probably just science stuff that most people wouldn't be interested in anyway.

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 08:09:42 PM »
Probably just science stuff that most people wouldn't be interested in anyway.

I'm interested, lol.  Have you read all the chemical compatibility charts and such I link to on the materials section?  Putting all that together made me go a little blind.  Right now I'm researching the effects of anti-oxident additives on the rate of pvc decay.  You can avoid sun and heat, but you can't avoid oxygen.  These additives are really common in pvc, but it's hard to find information about toys.

As far as I'm concerned, restoration is about taking a pony you don't enjoy, and that likely no one will like, and turning it into a pony you do enjoy, not trying to get perfectly mint ponies.  I also don't think it's about impressing other people.  A few cancer spots don't bother me.  My Baby Cherries Jubilee who was covered in cancer spots, stained yellow, and smelled of smoke, bothered me.

If anyone comes along who can interpret how stuff like this might apply to ponies so that I don't have to, "The presence of oxygen was found to increase twofold the rate of dehydrochlorination of irradiated PVC. A reaction scheme is developed which assumes that a significant fraction of the interactions of tertiary peroxy radicals is nonterminating and yields alkoxy radicals which propagate or decompose by β-scission."  God love you because it makes me dizzy trying to sort it out.

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 06:10:05 AM »
"The presence of oxygen was found to increase twofold the rate of dehydrochlorination of irradiated PVC. A reaction scheme is developed which assumes that a significant fraction of the interactions of tertiary peroxy radicals is nonterminating and yields alkoxy radicals which propagate or decompose by β-scission."  God love you because it makes me dizzy trying to sort it out.

Eep!

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 07:15:53 AM »
Eep!

LOL, I couldn't make much out of that article.  I made it through organic chemistry in college (barely) but a lot of this stuff is too much for me.  Feel free to pm me anything you've got.  I'm always interested.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal