collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 202483 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Anime?
« Reply #1200 on: January 15, 2022, 12:54:50 PM »
So let me get this right, the English title is 'Belle' and the Japanese one is Ryuu to Sobakasu no Hime? How did that translation happen? The Japanese title means The Dragon and the Freckled Princess. I guess the princess is Belle? Does Belle have freckles??

The music is pretty though :D Especially the second one. It seems atmospheric.

I quite like Tenki no Ko (Weathering with You) but there are some moments in the plot that don't quite hold together as well as they might.

I like the Granrodeo opening for Zeroin (Kami mo hotoke mo) but I may like the closing theme song Ruten better. I haven't found either on itunes yet though :( Granrodeo has special nostalgia for me as they were a group brought together from the neoroma live events. The singer, Taniyama Kishou, is also a voice artist and was voicing Tsukishima Ren from Corda D'Oro at live events and the guitarist, Iizuka Masaaki, who was part of the stage band, and the rest is kind of history. I don't know if Taniyama still does voice roles, but being a singer was his dream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMceoRhTekg
I found this clip of him singing one of Tsukishima's songs at a Neoroma event from back then XD.

Saiyuuki has a history of solid theme songs. A couple I like are Late Show from Burial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9ZeqqJBCc
and Sakura no Ki no Shita De from the Gaiden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWlNv3uCqoM
They're pretty different, the second is very haunting and beautiful.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 15, 2022, 01:19:48 PM »
I saw an advert for Belle back when I went to see a screening of the Doremi movie - IIRC it's a sort of "Beauty and the Beast" story so I guess that's why they renamed it to Belle? in an attempt to draw in that sort of crowd...? I dunno, the original title sounds more interesting to me personally, but I'll never understand how marketing peoples' minds work.

I thought it looked sort of interesting, I wasn't 100% sold on it though.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 20, 2022, 08:55:47 AM »
Third ep of Zeroin aired...

I'm remembering why I love this arc so much. It's the small details between the characters and their interactions.

Spoiler
Especially I suppose in this context given that they're dealing with issues of life, death and relife, as well as weighing the value of demon lives with human ones as well.

And now Ukoku has appeared too, to cause his usual level of trouble. Although this time actually as Ukoku, at long last.
Spoiler
Ni Jianyi is fine and creepy in his own right, but I definitely prefer Ukoku as Ukoku

Also it's nice to see the nuances in Hazel's character start to show themselves.

I know nobody here cares but I no longer have anyone with whom to discuss Saiyuuki, so I'm afraid you guys get my random babble instead ;) Sorry about that...

CR has weirdly started airing Hakuouki season 1 anime eps as well as the new drama, but only as far as the drama has already shown. They do more or less match in terms of episode time so far, so I guess it makes sense but...yeah, it's weird. It has made me dig out the shinsengumi DVD and watch it again though.

AND I have been rewatching season 1 of Bakuman. While I still think Mashiro and Azuki's 'romance' is ridiculous, I do really like this story. Probably also because of the details between characters...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 04:05:45 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 21, 2022, 07:14:05 AM »
I need to rewatch Weathering with You but I remember liking most of the movie until near the end.  At that point the plot seemed to suddenly take a turn that didn't make sense with the rest of the movie.

I agree with Carrehz about why Ryuu to Sobakasu no Hime was probably changed to Belle in English.  It's being promoted as a sci fi version of Beauty and the Beast from what I've seen so far.  I just looked up a little more info on the movie and the main character's name is Suzu.  Maybe that has something to do with the English version being titled Belle?   

I wonder if it will be like A Silent Voice though where the actual title on screen is "The Shape of Voice" but is called A Silent Voice everywhere else.

I like the Granrodeo opening for Zeroin (Kami mo hotoke mo) but I may like the closing theme song Ruten better. I haven't found either on itunes yet though :( Granrodeo has special nostalgia for me as they were a group brought together from the neoroma live events. The singer, Taniyama Kishou, is also a voice artist and was voicing Tsukishima Ren from Corda D'Oro at live events and the guitarist, Iizuka Masaaki, who was part of the stage band, and the rest is kind of history. I don't know if Taniyama still does voice roles, but being a singer was his dream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMceoRhTekg
I found this clip of him singing one of Tsukishima's songs at a Neoroma event from back then XD.

Saiyuuki has a history of solid theme songs. A couple I like are Late Show from Burial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9ZeqqJBCc
and Sakura no Ki no Shita De from the Gaiden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWlNv3uCqoM
They're pretty different, the second is very haunting and beautiful.

I like all of these but couldn't find a single one of them on US iTunes. :(  I did find some songs by  Taniyama Kishou though.

I'm still watching Daiya Act 2/Season 3.  The next series I start will probably be Haikyuu or rewatching Yona.  I need to get back to Komi Can't Communicate too.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 21, 2022, 09:43:13 AM »
I kind of read that and facepalmed, but I guess I see it.

Suzu is the Japanese word for bell. It just feels like a bad joke, but I don't know which way around. Highly possible that if that's the theme of the story, the joke is on the Japanese side.

Weathering with you is actually called Tenki no Ko, I think? Which is literally, 'the weather child' or 'the weather girl'.

And it's not like all of the Ghibli films have straight translated titles so you're probably right. Spirited Away is Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi in Japanese. But to translate that literally would be a mess. Sen to Chihiro relies on a play on kanji readings, and kamikakushi, the idea of gods stealing people away, mostly children, isn't something found in the west. So 'Spirited Away' is a decent compromise. I've always wondered how much it makes sense to people in English/without the cultural context, but it seems really popular, so I guess it must somehow?

I think the plot of WWY did go a bit funny at the end. The whole idea of the shrine and the girl being the offering for the weather to stabilise is kind of logical, there are stories of miko (shinto priestess) doing dances for rain, and the idea of a miko as a conduit for stability or whatever...and she's basically a miko. But yeah, it does go a bit wonky towards the end.

I like Kimi no Na Wa much more.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 09:49:48 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 22, 2022, 04:22:01 PM »
IIRC from what I read about it, the main character's name is Suzu in real life and Belle online (or something like that), so yeah the pun was there originally too. Shame they gave it such a generic English title though.

Renaming films in the localization process happens pretty often in both sides of the world, not just with anime films... I.e. Lady and the Tramp is called "Wan Wan Monogatari" (woofwoof story/doggy story) in Japan.

The weirdest Ghibli film rename to me is "The Cat's Repayment" being renamed to "The Cat Returns". I get most of the other retitled Ghibli films, but that one baffles me, what was wrong with the original title...? *shakes head*

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: January 22, 2022, 05:56:27 PM »
The cat returns doesn't even make sense as a rendering of Neko no Ongaeshi anyway. The Cat's Obligation might be better...but returns? Returns what?

I admit I haven't seen the film, so may be missing something - I'm not really a fan of Ghibli - but still.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: January 22, 2022, 07:57:53 PM »
I like Your Name a lot more too.  :D It's one of my top anime films.

I didn't know the Cat Returns was originally titled The Cat's Repayment.  That makes more sense to me than Returns. I thought that the title must have been referring to Baron returning.

I've been thinking about watching a few of the Ghibli films I haven't seen yet but their films are really hit or miss for me.  My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo and Whispers of the Heart are my favorites. The Cat Returns is okay  but isn't as good in my opinion as the ones I just mentioned.  I'm not a fan of Howl's Moving Castle or From Up on Poppy Hill.

Ponyfan

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: January 23, 2022, 02:01:32 AM »
"Returns" always came off as a title referring to its pseudo-sequel status too - but that also doesn't make much sense, because it was actually dubbed before Whisper of the Heart! Weird stuff - the original title sounds just as good (compared to others where I can see they might not have sounded as snappy in English) so idk why they changed it.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: January 23, 2022, 10:04:17 AM »
They may have gone with "Returns" because Haru fed a kitten when she was a child and then after she saved the cat prince from being run over by a car as a teen, it was discovered that the kitten had grown up and was going to be the cat prince's bride and the cats "returned" to repay her kindness.  The Baron and Muta also "return" to the kingdom of the cats.  I agree that other titles would have made more sense, though.

The Cat Returns was supposedly the story written in Whisper of the Heart, but the only similarities are The Baron and the human in the story is female.  There is a character named Muta, which was the name of the cat that kept showing up in Whisper and he even looks like the cat in Whisper.  I guess if you stretch you could say that there was a lot of editing that happened to the original manuscript that Shizuku wrote so of course it changed. 

It is weird because Cat Returns was dubbed into English and released in America before Whisper of the Heart, even though Whisper was created first and Cat Returns was supposed to be the spinoff/sequel.  But then, Free! Season 2 got an English Dub DVD release before Free! Season 1 (and I know that because I ended up buying Season 1 in Japanese so I could watch Season 2 in English and then Season 1 came out with the English Dub 8 months later so I ended up rebuying it) so...yeah.  Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: January 23, 2022, 12:41:51 PM »
Yeah, I know the story of Whisper/Returns, they're my favourite Ghibli films.

I think I recall hearing the delay in dubbing Whisper was because they were having issues getting the rights to "Country Roads" (apparently that's why the vocal songs were replaced for the English dub of Kiki's Delivery Service) and of course, a lot of the film hinges on the use of that particular song. I could be misremembering though.

The "Returns" title *sort of* works when you put it like that, but it still seems silly and arbitrary to rename it.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: January 23, 2022, 04:58:08 PM »
I don't suppose the date of the dub matters in either case, tbh. A lot of series and films and movies appear on streaming networks pre-dub but with translated titles. There are also a lot of anime that are not dubbed at all, but still have English titles for easier promotional purposes on those sites. So I guess Returns was a decision based on the plot and made by translators, not to do with the order of the dub.

I can't explain the decision to use 'returns' as it doesn't make any sense. Even if the cat returns, that doesn't convey why the cat returns, which is the meaning of the original title. But it is definitely true that some titles go a long way away from their original meaning when translated.

Free already has an English title, so isn't really a good comparison.

But Daiya no Ace, that Ponyfan and I talk about sometimes, has the English title of Ace of the Diamond, which is a correct translation of the name. But despite around 200 episodes of anime, there is no dub. And more than 10 years back now, Harukanaru toki no naka de was released on DVD in the US under the title Haruka: Beyond the Stream Of Time, which was also the title used on the manga. But the DVD doesn't have a dub, either. (In this case, thank goodness, since the subs made ugly messes of some of the oni names).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 27, 2022, 11:02:37 AM »
I wish Daiya would get a wider release for Western audiences.  I'd love to own the series on DVD but the only DVDs I can find are from Japan and look like they only contain a few episodes each.

Since we have been talking about Weathering with You, I rewatched that the other day.   

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 29, 2022, 01:23:18 PM »
I am waiting with fear for the day Daiya is no longer on CR. It's totally true with the Japanese DVDs, they're so expensive as well given how many eps there are. I have three o the OVA DVDs (2, 3 and 4? Maybe? Kuramochi, Nori and the one with the epilogue stuff/Jingu tournament after the autumn final...when one of the managers owns Miyuki for being shy about cheering) but that's all.

Caught up with Zeroin ep 4 today. Your quote for the week...

"I thought this might happen, so I took a correspondence course in lock-picking, just in case."
Hakkai xD.

Love seeing the nuances in Hazel's character properly fleshed out and Ukoku doing his usual mischief as well. The only problem is waiting a week for another episode...because every week has something of a cliffhanger.

Also, HiDive is such an annoying streaming service with its controls and interface on the firestick compared to CR and most others. Sigh.

Still watching the Hakuouki drama more from curiosity than anything else since I know the story pretty well and I probably do prefer the proper Shinsengumi drama now I've seen it. Although they're not doing the worst job of it ever. I feel like they jumped over some steps, but yeesh, the guy they got to play Itou is just chilling.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 30, 2022, 07:14:44 PM »
I will be really sad if Daiya is taken off of Crunchyroll. I would miss being able to watch it whenever I want to. :(  I'm not sure why Daiya seems to be so underrated and not as popular as a lot of other animes. 

I'm happy that Zeroin is doing the storyline and the characters justice.  :)

I watched a couple more episodes of Komi Can't Communicate. I still have to get used to the multiple stories per episode format.

Spoiler

There's one story where a classmate becomes insanely jealous that Tadano has the desk next to Komi.  The classmate literally kidnaps Tadano and ties him up in her room so she can sit next to Komi without Tadano getting in the way.  Komi ends up going to the classmate's house completely unaware that she is holding Tadano hostage.   When Komi and Najimi find Tadano in the closet they free him and Komi refuses to be the classmate's friend due to what she did to Tadano.  The classmate later apologizes to Komi and Tadano saying that her behavior was too extreme   and asks if Komi will accept her as a fried.

I think the kidnapping story was meant to be funny but I didn't find it funny at all. I haven't started reading the manga yet so I don't know if it comes across better in the manga than it does through the animation. 

I'm going to watch The Wind Rises soon.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal