collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 202540 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #1170 on: October 11, 2021, 11:49:26 AM »
I always re-watch Spirited Away in October.  :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1171 on: October 11, 2021, 01:22:47 PM »
I rewatched Haruka 1. (Harukanaru Toku no Naka De or Haruka, Beyond the Stream of Time I think they called it in the translated manga/subbed anime release).

I like the manga better, not least because the best scenes in the whole narrative are in vol 12 and 13 and those didn't get animated. But I still love this series. It's a big nostalgia thing for me because Neoroma and the Neoroma communities were such a big part of when I started learning Japanese. Fushigi Yuugi was the one that got me to start learning, but Haruka got me on the Japanese history kick (especially Haruka 3).

I loved the songs, the seiyuu, the characters and especially the setting of the Haruka games, in Japanese history. I like Corda (they did have the maddest seiyuu) and am lowkey entertained by Angelique and Neoangelique (I used to blog about the neoroma series, events and games in the dim and distant past, probably 12 years ago now...) and I was always finding stuff to laugh at in those (beware the evil tea!).

I also then got watching some live event DVDs and reminding myself just why I love seiyuu so much. And right now I have the haruka songs playing on my hifi. So probably I'll watch some of the other stuff sometime. I brought some of the dvds back from Japan, including Kurenai no Tsuki from 3 and the movie from 1. But I can't currently get at my Haruka 1 manga because it's buried in a crate underneath another crate under all my Daiya manga. Very unsatisfying...

I miss Miki Shinichirou being in more anime. It was nice hearing him in Kyou Kara Maou as the Shin'ou and also in Haruka. But he doesn't seem to take as many main roles since he got more involved in the production company stuff. He's always been a favourite seiyuu of mine. Likewise Okiayu Ryoutarou, although I hear him in stuff a bit more often.

Ishida Akira is in Daiya (Nabe) but it was nice hearing his Yasuaki voice again. And his song, since he stopped singing for anime around that time (back in 2003ish) and hasn't done songs for any of his characters since Yasuaki.

I also watched Hakkenden again. I still don't know what's going on, but it doesn't really matter.

And now just restarted Saiyuuki Gensoumaden. Which I watch quite often really. Sadly only Reload Blast is on CR.

I did notice more and more older series are appearing on streaming services. So I live in hope that KKM, Saiunkoku, Haruka and the rest of Saiyuuki will appear there so that other people can enjoy them.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline OleGrayMane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: October 11, 2021, 05:20:39 PM »
"Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet" on Hulu. Nice and relaxing in a way, well at least so far: just up to ep 5.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: October 23, 2021, 01:08:09 PM »
I watched the first episode of Komi Can't Communicate.  It wasn't quite what I was expecting but I did enjoy it.  I felt really sad for Komi when she was writing on the chalkboard and

Spoiler
told Tandano how lonely she feels  and that no one has noticed before because they're too stunned by her beauty or run away from her when she isn't able to communicate with them through speech.   

I felt the subtitles went a little too fast for me to be able to read them sometimes but I was able to keep up most of the time.

I have all of the English manga volumes released so far but I haven't read them yet.  Watching the episode renewed my interest in the manga though I got the first 6 volumes out (I had just put them away when I was rearranging my manga) and put them on the shelf. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: October 31, 2021, 09:34:37 AM »
I haven't read Komi but I did watch the first episode of it. It's actually kind of interesting to me because I can relate a little bit to how she feels. I'm not sure if I will carry on watching it, but you kept mentioning it in the manga so I was curious :)

I also rewatched most of Neoangelique last week. Neoangelique I guess is most easily described as the action-adventure installment of the Angelique series, largely because things actually happen in it other than having tea and throwing elemental energy around to make plants grow. TBH Angelique is so much less known than Corda D'Oro and even Haruka that I'm surprised Neoangelique is on CR at all, but it saved me looking out my DVD.

Frankly most all of the Angelique series is a little bit ridiculous, and the guys do come out with some amazing cliche lines, as though they've been auditioning for a host club.  But I still like it, it's cute and nostalgic for me for reasons. It amuses me in lots of little ways, like

Spoiler
Angelique learning to fight with a sword, Sedona telling her her outfit is inappropriately frilly and then finding her another equally frilly outfit to practice in.

and

Spoiler
Why Hyuuga always has to practice his spear moves half naked, usually when other people are around

and the big one.

Spoiler
That the root of all evil in Arcadia is tea.

Though I like how it tied in earlier Angelique stuff like the Hoshi no Fune and other things, I don't really like the ending because I feel like it only goes part way.

Spoiler
The Queen is missing her guardians, after all, and I see absolutely no reason why. Where is she going to get her Sacrea from otherwise?

And of course, I'm continuing on with Saiyuuki again. Into the Kamisama arc. Remembering with regret that the next arc is Even a Worm, which is my favourite, but which the anime wrecked by trying to rush it through and so the best scenes are only available in manga and drama CD. Sigh.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: November 01, 2021, 08:07:44 AM »
I'll probably watch a few more episodes of Komi before I decide if I want to keep watching.  I like being able to go from one episode to the next without having to wait for another episode to be uploaded so I'll wait for a couple more episodes to be uploaded before I go back to it. :)

Neoangelique is on my watchlist but I haven't started it yet.

I'm still in season 2 of Daiya.  Sometimes I get so involved in the episode that I have to remind myself that this is my 2nd time watching the series and I already know how it's going to turn out.

I've been trying to find out when we might expect a release for Western audiences for Free Final Stroke but I guess it's too soon for that information to be available.  I'm guessing that we might see the 1st part when it gets closer to 2nd part being released.

The only information I've been able to find  so far is that Final Stroke might be using the same theme song as Dive to the Future ("Heading to Over" by Oldcodex)  and there might have been a film made out of season 3 episodes to promote Final Stroke.

Ponyfan

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: November 01, 2021, 08:35:36 AM »
I'm in a bit of an anime slump if anyone wants to shoot some suggestions my way. Preferably if it's on netflix or crunchyroll or heck free to watch with prime.
I'm not big on mech animes, my tastes run the gamut though with just about anything else. My sister and I talked about rewatching the October anime (Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, Slayers Premium, Slayers Revolution, Slayers Evolution - R, and Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door) but we never got around to any of them. My health has put a damper on a lot of plans, I blink and I'm dozing off. :p
Anyway I'm craving something somewhere between the original Fruits Basket and Death Note. Like I said my tastes run the gamut and I'm in a slump so throw stuff at me and we'll see what sticks?

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 01, 2021, 09:25:39 AM »
@TwistedRiver - I'd recommend Akatsuki no Yona (Yona of the Dawn) except for the annoying fact that only the first eight or so manga volumes are animated...of 36 so far.

It's still a great story, it's just annoying that that's as far as it's got.

I also really like Charlotte, Re:Life and Erased, albeit the last I prefer the drama version on Netflix than the anime on CR. Charlotte and Erased are quite short. Re:Life is a bit longer.

And maybe Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens - so long as you accept the premise that everyone is either associated with an assassin, or is an assassin, but they all hang out to play baseball with each other anyways.

@Ponyfan, if and when you ever watch Neoange, I will love to hear your views on it. I am fond of it but seriously, there are so many things that I still find funny.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: November 01, 2021, 09:47:45 AM »
I'm in a bit of an anime slump if anyone wants to shoot some suggestions my way. Preferably if it's on netflix or crunchyroll or heck free to watch with prime.
I'm not big on mech animes, my tastes run the gamut though with just about anything else. My sister and I talked about rewatching the October anime (Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, Slayers Premium, Slayers Revolution, Slayers Evolution - R, and Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door) but we never got around to any of them. My health has put a damper on a lot of plans, I blink and I'm dozing off. :p
Anyway I'm craving something somewhere between the original Fruits Basket and Death Note. Like I said my tastes run the gamut and I'm in a slump so throw stuff at me and we'll see what sticks?

You can watch stuff for free on Funimation if you don't mind a few commercials. Seems like you're leaning to the supernatural side of things.  Not sure what you've already seen but here are some suggestions.  These are all available on Funimation if they're not on Netflix or Crunchyroll.

Assassination Classroom
My Hero Academia
Sword Art Online
Blue Exorcist
Rising of the Shield Hero

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 01, 2021, 01:15:40 PM »
@TwistedRiver - I'd recommend Akatsuki no Yona (Yona of the Dawn) except for the annoying fact that only the first eight or so manga volumes are animated...of 36 so far.

I was also going to mention Yona.  :D  It's one of my favorites but there is so much more in the manga that the anime doesn't cover

Other top favorites of mine are

Ace of Diamond

Free!

My Roommate is a Cat

Sailor Moon

@Ponyfan, if and when you ever watch Neoange, I will love to hear your views on it. I am fond of it but seriously, there are so many things that I still find funny.

:)

Ponyfan

Offline TwistedRiver

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Please leave feedback for transactions :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 10, 2021, 04:40:05 AM »
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will maybe try and look up and watch something before bed during the time I'm usually watching random doll vids on YouTube and what if anything sticks.

Thanks so much Nence and Valerie for my adorable siggy and Shaiyeh for my beautiful Avvi.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 10, 2021, 09:27:54 AM »
I watched a few more episodes of Komi.  I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep watching.  Overall I really like the story (although the shorter stories in each episode were a bit confusing at first) but there are a few things that don't seem to belong and might have only been added to get a laugh from the audience.     

I wish that some episodes didn't show the animation rewinding to go over something another character missed.  I know it's an artistic choice but it made my head hurt a little watching it. 

I'm still watching Daiya season 2 :D

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: November 11, 2021, 03:49:20 PM »
It reminds me of the scene in the Daiya anime where there's a ball exchange between Furuya and Eijun (I think) and it not only takes aaages (pause for emphasis) but it's repeated from one ep to another and I'm like...fast forward...

Rewatched Yona a couple of times ;)

Spoiler
Kija running through Awa with Jaeha in the jar is always one of my favourite dragon moments. I've worked out that everything in Yona is better when there are dragons.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: November 13, 2021, 07:01:40 PM »

Rewatched Yona a couple of times ;)

Spoiler
Kija running through Awa with Jaeha in the jar is always one of my favourite dragon moments. I've worked out that everything in Yona is better when there are dragons.

Spoiler
That scene never gets old.   :lol:

I also love Yun's reply to Yona when Hak and Yona see Yun locked in the cage in Kija's village. 

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 07:05:49 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: November 26, 2021, 02:35:14 PM »
Still watching  Daiya season 2.

Spoiler

I have to keep reminding myself that Coach Kataoka doesn't end up resigning.  I get so involved in some of the episodes that I forget that I know how it's going to turn out.

I also spotted another error.  Coach Sakai called Kataoka Tetsu instead of Tesshin.  I thought at first it was just a subtitle error but the va did say Tetsu.

Has anyone been able to find out a release date for the 3rd season of Fruits Basket or when Western audiences might see Free Final Stroke?

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal