collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 202492 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #1095 on: May 05, 2021, 11:26:37 AM »
Yeah, I can definitely see where they got "sagashite" from.

I checked the album liner and there's no furigana or anything for the track titles, so nothing to really clarify either way :s
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1096 on: May 05, 2021, 01:07:55 PM »
Well, the verb in what you posted is in hiragana, so there's no need for furigana...there's no kanji to gloss, either with the sasu reading or any other.  Unless you mean somewhere else on the inlay :)

Is this a whole song, with lyrics? The clue may be in the lyrics.

But that's assuming it has an actual concrete meaning, rather than deliberately trying to convey multiple meanings...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 05, 2021, 02:57:59 PM »
Nah, it's an instrumental (background music), and the context it's played in doesn't really give any hints either (could be any of the things you suggested) :s

Offline Stellaluna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 05, 2021, 07:30:19 PM »
You guys, did you know that if you get a boba tea from KungFu Tea they give you a code to get 1 month free of Funimation streaming? Because of that, I've completely jumped back into anime! I just finished season 4 of My Hero Academia. I'm also watching Mushi-shi, Fruits Basket (the reboot), Sk8, and Ranma 1/2. I also re-watch Big Windup sometimes when I can't decide. It's a very cute summer baseball show.

Has anyone heard of these? I'm really enjoying Ranma 1/2 especially. It has such cute old-school charm!

Another show I just started following is called To Your Eternity. It's really beautiful, but the first episode is very sad.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 06, 2021, 01:40:15 AM »
They're all pretty well known series I think, aside maybe Sk8, not sure about that one.

I've seen clips of Ranma, but I've never watched it. I know it was created by the same person as Inuyasha, but otherwise everything I know about it came from a Fushigi Yuugi friend who also liked it years ago :)

I am not caught up with Hero Academia. It's super mainstream but I like it though...I haven't seen the most recent series.

Furuba is <3.

Still holding out that Daiya no Ace is the best sports anime (also baseball) - but that's not on Funimation, only CR.

I don't know how it is in other places, but here in the UK Funimation doesn't have many shows that aren't dubbed, so I tend to prefer CR even if the subtitles are sometimes wonky.

Assassination Classroom used to be on Funi though, with both sub and dub. Should probably check if it still is...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stellaluna

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 06, 2021, 04:34:00 AM »
I think that's why I'm enjoying the Funimation app so far, because pretty much every show has a dub option which I prefer. It's harder for me to connect to the show when I'm always looking away from the action to read. But Fruits basket I've been watching both versions because I'm too impatient, so I'll watched the Japanese episode release and then watch it again once the dub episode drops.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 06, 2021, 06:34:05 AM »
It's good that there's options for both!

I have to admit, I'd love to turn the subs off. I've been watching Chinese and Korean stuff recently and it's kind of a jolt realising I need to read the subtitles on the episodes because I don't know what's going on otherwise ;) I can pick up a few words of each - probably more of Chinese tbh than Korean - but yeah, reading subs can be a pain.

I used to watch dubs before I learned Japanese. Some of them were pretty ok, I think - I know Furuba was one, and Yami no Matsuei was another. But the Fushigi Yuugi dub was so horrible it ruined dub for me forever...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 06, 2021, 08:52:10 AM »
I think Chinese subs are even worse than Japanese. Either its too fast or too small. Thankfully, Netflix is streaming Heavens official blessing, so now I can actually see the subs. The original is so damn small, I can't see it.

The only thing I have watched lately is Thousand Autumns on WeTV APP or youtube. If you like action/martial arts or shonen genre, you might like this. Fair warning, it is based off a BL novel of the same name, but it is highly censored by china so you don't have to worry about any romance. I am reading the novel and have yet to see how those two can even be a couple....

Thousand Autumns DESCRIPTION

Yan Wushi had walked a path full of blood and corpses.

He did not believe in the good nature of humanity. Even more so, he did not believe that there could be someone with great kindness and sense of justice, who would be so considerate of others without asking anything in return.

One day, Shen Qiao, who was the sect leader of Mount Xuandu, the number one Daoist sect under the heavens, was challenged to a duel but somehow fell off the cliff.

Yan Wushi happened to pass by down there.

Seeing Shen Qiao who was seriously injured to the point of dying, he suddenly came up with a perfect idea…

After thousands of autumns, who could stay eternal?

Associated Names
Qian Qiu

I haven't watched crunchyroll in forever. They have stricter blocks on VPNs than China itself :cry:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 09:05:02 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 06, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »
I finished Majestic Prince this week.  I liked it...except
Spoiler
when they killed off a character that I didn't want to die because they were setting up a super-cute romance opportunity.  Monsters.

I started watching Boys Over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango) last night. It's made by the same company that made Sailor Moon and others from the 80s/90s era.  I've seen the live action drama that was made in Korea (I think) and I liked it so I thought I'd give this one a try.

I have seen the first 3 seasons of Ranma and I liked it.  I will probably pick up more seasons if they go on sale around Christmas again. 

I recommend Yuri on Ice if you're looking for something to watch.  It's fun and pretty.  And I second Assassination Classroom, especially if you like funny/quirky/sweet storylines.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 07, 2021, 04:59:47 AM »
To be honest, having watched the Untamed drama, I'm amused at how much Chinese censorship will still allow to happen...

I'm also impressed with myself when I can understand some of Wen Ning or Meng Yao's dialogue without needing the sub. I feel like I have a Chinese word of the week when watching it ;) though some of the words sound close enough to Japanese that I know what they are, and that helps. I'd like to speak Chinese, but I don't suppose I could do it without a teacher. The tones make pronunciation complicated, even if it's not that hard to read the words or understand what I hear.

I've watched some of Heaven's Official Blessing. I feel like there's a lot thrown at the audience right at the start, with people and concepts and things but I will probably watch all of it.

I've seen Hana Yori Dango - the original Japanese drama. I feel like there's so much unhealthy going on in it and somehow it just works because well, it's all really shoujo. I've never seen the anime.

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge is another one I saw the drama for and not the animation. I'm attached to the drama version though, so I probably won't watch the animation.

...Ouran Host Club is better as an anime though. And frankly, I wish it didn't have so many volumes because I would've read it but that's too many books to buy from Japan ><. I'm interested in a bit part character who I'd like to read more about but he's not really in the series much.

Assassination Classroom is mad. It's so much fun but so mad. Except I admit I don't like the ending.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 07, 2021, 08:42:59 AM »
I've seen Hana Yori Dango - the original Japanese drama. I feel like there's so much unhealthy going on in it and somehow it just works because well, it's all really shoujo. I've never seen the anime.

...Ouran Host Club is better as an anime though. And frankly, I wish it didn't have so many volumes because I would've read it but that's too many books to buy from Japan ><. I'm interested in a bit part character who I'd like to read more about but he's not really in the series much.

Assassination Classroom is mad. It's so much fun but so mad. Except I admit I don't like the ending.

Hana Yori Dango-Yeah, there's a lot of unhealthy stuff in the anime, too--like really violent temper tantrums that are (so far) not addressed as a problem. The guy is controlling, abusive, and basically psycho but the girl is okay with it because he's hot and rich so it's fine?  And it's very 90s in terms of hair/clothing but it's one of those that you don't take too seriously.  The opening credits look like a flash mob. 

I like the Ouran anime as well.  I haven't tried to read the manga.  The library has it so I could if I wanted to take the time one of these days.  But let's be real, I own the Fruits Basket manga series and have only read the first 6 volumes so far.  I need to finish that...

Assassination Classroom...I get you on the ending.  I have a friend who hasn't watched the last episode yet (even though she started watching the series in 2016) because I told her it made me cry and she said she isn't sure she's ready for that kind of emotional upheaval because I never cry and she cries at everything.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 08, 2021, 08:20:20 AM »
Yeah. I think with AC the ending was inevitable, but I still don't like it. BUT I do love the story, the concept, the fact it's so off the wall...I was watching it constantly going...really? You went there? But it works.

Furuba has the weird distinction among my manga of being in three languages, although I might have got rid of the ENglish volumes now, actually, I'm not sure. When I was originally reading this - bearing in mind we're going back a long way - the English volumes were behind the French translation, and I didn't read Japanese then. So I bought some in Brussels in French so I could read the end of the manga >.>. I've not read it since then though. There are only some manga I've actually reread multiple times. :/

I agree on Hana Yori Dango. I think you just have to accept from the off that it's full of wrong, unhealthy, and plain wrong. And every single shoujo trope you can imagine on top of all of that...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 08, 2021, 04:08:35 PM »
Life has been so crazy lately that I haven't had much time to watch anime.  :sad:

I've only seen a small clip of Assassination Classroom but it's on my  to be watched list along with My Hero Academia.

I'm still rewatching Daiya season, Free season 3 and Fruits Basket.   I've noticed more errors in the Daiya subs this time mostly with the names of the characters (the audio saying the names one way but the subs showing them in a different order)

I'll be watching Sailor Moon Eternal/Crystal soon after it comes out on US  Netflix June 3rd.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 09, 2021, 12:32:08 AM »
I'm still rewatching Daiya S3.

Warning, sub rant in spoiler tag.

Spoiler
Aside that line at the end of season 1 where Kanemaru's line is completely missing and they subbed it as 'what did he say?' instead (clearly a translator note NOT meant to go on the final version, although IMO what he says is clearly something like 'he held down the last innings without conceding a run' so Idk?)...I'm rewatching season 3/Act II and oh dear, that one episode where they call Kaneda a catcher even though pitcher is written on the screen in katakana...and switch around Yui and Masashi's names and batting order, again even though this is written on the screen...

Sigh. Sorry. It really annoys me that someone gets paid for that.

Other sub things that bug me are more nuanced. For example, there's one game where the dialogue says ichirui maniawanai (They - the fielders - didn't make it to first base). And the sub says something like "the runner is safe at first base!" Which technically means the same but isn't the same.

...And sometimes the subs cause war in the crazy sectors of the fandom. Furuya has a line in Act II that started a rebellion because of how it was subbed. Not that it takes that sector of the fandom much to throw unprovoked hate at Furuya, but even so.

Then there's all the times where they translate mukatsuku (annoying) as hate, which doesn't mean the same thing. "You're annoying" is not the same as "I hate you." And there's one dialogue where Eijun says to Miyuki something like, you were practicing seriously. And the sub adds, "for once", like it's a dig. But it's not.

It's really easy to see why that sector of the fandom take hate at characters and run with it, sometimes. It's just frustrating.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 12:33:45 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 12, 2021, 04:06:21 AM »
The Daiya subs can be bad at times and really confusing if you have to rely on them  to understand what the characters are saying but I'll still take them of the auto-generated Youtube ones.  Those are so bad that they take me out of the episode I'm trying to watch.  I'm still amused that what was probably supposed to be something like "Miyuki called a time time out. I hope Nori's okay"  is translated by Youtube as "I have two pet bowls already"  :lol:

Komi Can't Communicate will become an anime in late 2021/early 2022.  I have several of the manga volumes but haven't read them yet.  I'm not sure how well the series will work as an anime.

Very small Daiya spoiler ahead

Spoiler
It's so funny when Mochi,  Rousyke, Tetsu and Jun come back from training in their off time to watch part of the 1st years v. 2nd and 3rd years game and everyone starts commenting on how good a player Haruichi is and  Rousyke just smiles and doesn't mention the fact that Haruichi is his brother.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal