collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Acne cream results  (Read 8374 times)

Offline CarolSpain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Acne cream results
« on: March 08, 2016, 09:40:51 AM »
I know there are a lot of pots talking about the consequences of using acne cream on ponies, with pictures, but I'm not able to find them.
Could anyone help me?
If you have pics of MIB with text in Spanish, please, share with me!

Offline Baby Crumpet

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Never too many Tex's!
    • View Profile
Re: Acne cream results
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »
There's a thread here about a french bowtie that had acne cream put on her, with some pictures of the damage. I saw some pictures of a seashell, too, but I can't find them. Hope this helps somewhat  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: Thank you to Nence and starrynights for my signature and Trinity for my avatar :glitter:
Wishlist

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 10:01:08 AM »
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,356537.msg1237859.html#msg1237859

This is where I shared my pony.

We know not every pony will end up with big faded areas.
I know people have had success using this method on some ponies in very specific situations (mostly on yellow). but it's too easy to forgot which ponies where treated, so they are sold without this information disclosed. And sadly- this is one big reason I started avoiding buying from most collectors for the collector prices. Save a couple of people whom I know purchase carefully, keep logs and sell items with the history disclosed.

Some collectors do keep ponies in totes touching one another, and if they happen to have the wrong colour pony touching one with residues that didn't know were treated their good pony could suffer a similar result. WJ started with a much smaller faded patch. she's been stable like this for years. I have finally thought of a way to resell her honestly though as the stain could possibly be re tinted with a method mod barbie collectors use whose dolls were faded from these products. I'll have to etch RZ/AC by her maker marks before hand too, to be sure (if my info is lost by the next owner) each owner knows at least something was done to her after that.

*edit to add*
I'll add more..... When discovered it was thought of as a miracle cure- I thought we hit the jackpot as collectors some of the fixes were so impressive- this was before all the horror stories started showing up. :( so don't try it based on old, old threads. I feel guilty about cheering this fix on based on testimonials at the time, and with my bait successes.

I finally trashed my small box of acne/zit experiments stored together when I thought we had to move last year, testing acne cream and remove-zit side by side- so acne cream isn't always the kiss of death, some still looked perfectly fine from about 2005.  but I still have the written work somewhere of detailing what worked and what didn't removing marks. needed too much caution and finesse to not accidentally get it anywhere you didn't want, remove every trace of residue, not leave it on too long etc. very hit and miss. I was super careful about removing residue for the success ones. Long long term I don't know what it does and you had to be so very careful and meticulous with the stuff to make sure there's hopefully nothing left of it. (I think it stays in the plastic though. :( )
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 03:45:35 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:02:41 AM »
Do not do it! It was my French bowtie :(

Here is another post I saw this morning with some acne crème results. I'm sure my bowtie would have looked like this over time:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCsRVBomODhjmOE5bOSUQgIBOVeUy-XYKETgUM0/?taken-by=millydove

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCsRwrSGOETQlfmV8smOIUfzPrSEcYxKr_bFug0/?taken-by=millydove

Offline CarolSpain

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
Thanks for your answers.

Do not do it! It was my French bowtie :(

Here is another post I saw this morning with some acne crème results. I'm sure my bowtie would have looked like this over time:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCsRVBomODhjmOE5bOSUQgIBOVeUy-XYKETgUM0/?taken-by=millydove

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCsRwrSGOETQlfmV8smOIUfzPrSEcYxKr_bFug0/?taken-by=millydove

I cannot see the pictures :-(
If you have pics of MIB with text in Spanish, please, share with me!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:14:39 PM »
Nooo to acne crème here. I have a Tuneful that has a white underside and it has slowly spread to random spots on her body. It wasn't done by me, previous owner must have tried it on some pen marks on her. Sorry no pics Photobucket is blocked here...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 12:35:28 PM »
So sad seeing these pictures. I had a Powder once that that happened to. I used acne cream on her not knowing the true damage. I think I made her into a custom pony.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 02:05:05 PM »
Me too, I once had a pony who had been a victim of remove zit  -_-   Was fine in the pics, then the patches showed up while she was in transit to me. I was devastated when I opened up my parcel. She was a blue pony too. Never, ever use those acne creams  :nope:

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 02:23:24 PM »
I agree it is way too harsh an intervention  :(
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »
I'm glad I was too lazy to try this method back when it was all the rage.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 03:18:32 PM »
I'm glad I was too lazy to try this method back when it was all the rage.

I only started collecting a few years ago so luckily it was already a well known problem! Phew!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline mlly

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 06:17:51 PM »
I think it depends on the color of the pony
Here's a site with the info, go to the Creams section: http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#StainRemoval
It says you can use it on yellow and orange ponies and sometimes pink and white depending on the pony itself, but avoid on green, blue, or purple ones

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 08:46:15 PM »
Personally I'd never use it on any pony, regardless of color.

The potential risks are just too high - it leaves behind active chemicals that work for years, if not decades, and the danger of cross-contamination through physical contact is very real.  Not when we have sunfading which is far safer and doesn't pose the risk of being passed on to another pony by proximity. 

While it seems 'safe' (and I use that term very loosely) for certain colors right now, that doesn't mean it actually is - it might just be that it'll take longer for the damage to be obvious with those colors. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline mlly

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 12:36:01 AM »

The potential risks are just too high - it leaves behind active chemicals that work for years, if not decades, and the danger of cross-contamination through physical contact is very real.  Not when we have sunfading which is far safer and doesn't pose the risk of being passed on to another pony by proximity. 

While it seems 'safe' (and I use that term very loosely) for certain colors right now, that doesn't mean it actually is - it might just be that it'll take longer for the damage to be obvious with those colors.

I totally get what you mean and I understand but that is not necessarily true imo. A few dolls and toys I used acne cream on several years ago are still fine today, no after-effects after the stain removal, and it did not cross-contaminate either because some were stored in a bag full of other toys for a long time, and none of the other toys with them were affected.

Sunfading isn't always safe either, one doll I decided to sunfade and covered the rest of her w/ tin foil instead of using the cream method (since she was blue) ended up yellowing on the spots I tried to sunfade instead of the stains getting removed, ie it just made her staining worse. And even if you cover the non-sunfading parts, the heat from the sun can still affect the whole toy, which can cause discoloration in the plastic.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 07:17:59 AM »

I totally get what you mean and I understand but that is not necessarily true imo. A few dolls and toys I used acne cream on several years ago are still fine today, no after-effects after the stain removal, and it did not cross-contaminate either because some were stored in a bag full of other toys for a long time, and none of the other toys with them were affected.

Sunfading isn't always safe either, one doll I decided to sunfade and covered the rest of her w/ tin foil instead of using the cream method (since she was blue) ended up yellowing on the spots I tried to sunfade instead of the stains getting removed, ie it just made her staining worse. And even if you cover the non-sunfading parts, the heat from the sun can still affect the whole toy, which can cause discoloration in the plastic.

This will likely not make sense but I'll try anyway,
I did have "success" with baits, that little box was mostly fine. all the ones I was careful with anyway. but- it's had enough pitfalls in the community it's not seen as a miracle anymore, rather something most of us want to avoid in our collections. Sadly I do not have a lab (that would be awesome!) to see if this stuff is really still working years later or not.

an analogy.
In Canada In the 1970's a type of housing insulation was new, thought of as amazing- UFFI. People got credit to upgrade their homes. Gas was pricey, they were going through an energy/cost crisis at the time. Lots of energy upgrades were done as costs were way up. So UFFI calibrated and done correctly, it was fine (science!). But, many houses were not. the stuff gave off formaldehyde gas if the process wasn't done perfectly. and now, the stuff is inert and no longer throwing off formaldehyde gas 40+ years later anyway. Ontario folk still have to sign disclosures stating they do not have it in their home when you sell- if it's found in a house you sold, if you knew it was there present, or even past tense -removed and you didn't say huge legal trouble.... usually one or two parties losing everything. the house, even though it's actually fine now, is pretty much un-sellable. It's not the current safety of 40+ YO UFFI, rather public perception of UFFI. that makes these houses.... worthless.

After getting a messed up pony, and seeing what has happened to others. I do not want to buy another BP/RZ pony. if someone said "I used such and such cream to fade pen", I skip that pony. If I were to find one and find out after the fact it was treated, I wouldn't be pleased.

My other seaponies, when I have showed them off, people have messaged me with "if you ever sell I'll buy" "would you sell for such and such" poor WJ is a spare set (don't ask, I have two more loose ones w/shells) and thus I do not need her for my collection. I only had one person interested..... for less then I paid (I got what I thought was a good deal) and at that time, less then the shell alone would cost, the offer was both pony and shell together as a set. I don't blame that collector for the offer, honestly.... It's me who'll have to take the $ hit when I sell. If WJ was splotchy (those brown stains seaponies get) or marked with some pen, my inbox would have been full of offers.

So that's my sense -perception in the community makes these treatments a sort of black mark on resale.  While I would skip BP/acne cream or remove zit ponies, I have still bought sunfaded ponies from collectors. I figure what I see currently is what I will get. Might have been better or worse then how the seller originally started before fading her, but they won't magically get worse in the post. Even de-rusting a tail I could mess it up and accidentally ruin her tail. any restoration has risk. some are riskier then others, and this one has such a wide margin of error- much larger imo then making a pony worse by sunfading her alone.

WJ was helpful though. I started keeping even better logs, and going back through my purchase records to keep track of ponies and logging the others I could. A fun part to me is saving every picture of every sale I bought, or trade etc. with the price and month year and sellers handle (ebay, TP, arena).

I used all that info and made a whole new list, toy collector sold, vs. non toy people sold (like a childhood collection that wasn't cleaned at all). I hope this lessens the chance that I inadvertently do the same to someone else, selling a fixed pony I bought and thought was "original" whom I had no idea was touched.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:18:44 AM by FantasticFirefly »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal