collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Acne cream results  (Read 8480 times)

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Acne cream results
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 06:28:13 PM »
OMG- thank you I thought I happily forgot about the stink, I think I got one application on my tests. I bought a sample of the stuff from another collector and the SMELL.  :X The other scary thing is it was advertised as formulated for dolls and toys. grrrr. so people using it thinking it's made for this, I can totally totally see.

I think the problem is more that they don't specify what kind of toys and dolls it's formulated for. I recently got into Dollfie Dream and Obitsu dolls, and Removezit(and acne cream) are the go-to stain treatment solutions for them. And that's because the vinyl that those dolls are made of do respond positively to these things. Using the Oxy10 method(acne cream), on one of those dolls took off even sharpie with ease and absolutely no damage(beginner mistakes were made...) and that's usually how it goes. So I'm guessing that's probably where the suggestions come from?

It's the recommended solution for American Girl dolls as well. I've read that the acne cream is only recommended for things colored with a solid pigment, rather than a dye like the ponies are.
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 07:02:53 PM »
I've never seen this before. Now I'm curious. I wonder how regrind would respond to acne cream? Or if someone were to put it on a whole pony's body, would it go entirely, evenly white? These are things I would never do as the potential for transfer to other ponies is scary, but now my curiosity's going...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 08:05:33 PM »
Now I know what my Daffodil is suffering from. I got her a few years ago from Sweden, and she was perfect. Shortly after, in my humid environment, some yellow spots on her back developed. I haven't checked on her in a long time, and just today I picked her up, and under the yellow spots there are some pen marks appearing .... It looks so ugly. Thankfully it's only on her NDS and back, but still. I'm scared what other ponies in my collection back home have been developing ...

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 10:09:45 AM »
Now I know what my Daffodil is suffering from. I got her a few years ago from Sweden, and she was perfect. Shortly after, in my humid environment, some yellow spots on her back developed. I haven't checked on her in a long time, and just today I picked her up, and under the yellow spots there are some pen marks appearing .... It looks so ugly. Thankfully it's only on her NDS and back, but still. I'm scared what other ponies in my collection back home have been developing ...

Oh yeah that is exactly what the acne cream does to ponies! Over time weird bleached spots appear and spread.

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2016, 10:14:39 AM »
I've never seen this before. Now I'm curious. I wonder how regrind would respond to acne cream? Or if someone were to put it on a whole pony's body, would it go entirely, evenly white? These are things I would never do as the potential for transfer to other ponies is scary, but now my curiosity's going...

Even though I sold my afflicted Bowtie (the buyer knew about the condition), I believe that someday she may turn totally white! I had her for less than a year and all the areas under her mane had turned white. When I bought her it was just her lip. So I do think even though it was one area she will someday be a strange white French bowtie lol. But maybe if acne cream is spread everywhere it would turn white and then maybe yellow? Hard to know :/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2016, 04:44:38 AM »

I don't have a problem making a pony look more 'pretty' in 'short term' as I would rather already enjoy my toys in the current times especially when I still have a huge interest in them, not as 'collector vanity' to make something look 'perfect', especially since many MLPs are quite old and will eventually succumb to aging anyway.

If it's your own pony and you're okay with the consequences it's not an issue. The issue is with the examples discussed that get sold through multiple hands and, when the damage becomes visible, creates distress with those collectors. Several people here have ahd ponies they acquired as perfect and then realised what had been done to them later. That is what I meant by collector vanity. The pursuit of perfection doesn't always lead to the best outcome...some flaws are best left as flaws, because while ponies will age and develop problems, we still don't know the long term impact of this stuff on pony plastic and whether it could make the situation worse overall.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2016, 10:48:02 AM »
OMG- thank you I thought I happily forgot about the stink, I think I got one application on my tests. I bought a sample of the stuff from another collector and the SMELL.  :X The other scary thing is it was advertised as formulated for dolls and toys. grrrr. so people using it thinking it's made for this, I can totally totally see.

I think the problem is more that they don't specify what kind of toys and dolls it's formulated for. I recently got into Dollfie Dream and Obitsu dolls, and Removezit(and acne cream) are the go-to stain treatment solutions for them. And that's because the vinyl that those dolls are made of do respond positively to these things. Using the Oxy10 method(acne cream), on one of those dolls took off even sharpie with ease and absolutely no damage(beginner mistakes were made...) and that's usually how it goes. So I'm guessing that's probably where the suggestions come from?

It's the recommended solution for American Girl dolls as well. I've read that the acne cream is only recommended for things colored with a solid pigment, rather than a dye like the ponies are.
Huh, I'd always wondered why people ever thought to try acne cream and why it keeps coming up as a restoration method. I had no idea it actually is used elsewhere.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »
There is a major difference in the plastics and polymers used between many dolls and ponies. As others have mentioned one of the key being that the polymers used are usually the correct colour but with ponies its an pigment additive. When something is an additive its easier to damage as its not an integral part of the polymer.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »
I made a Tumblr post about this, feel free to reblog. :)

http://heckyeahponyscans.tumblr.com/post/141012572468

And thanks to mlp4me, Einhornbaby, and ShelvesOfWhimsy for permission to use their pictures!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline billietallent

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Imma die surrounded by ponies, yarn, and buttons
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2016, 12:29:43 PM »

And thanks to mlp4me, Einhornbaby, and ShelvesOfWhimsy for permission to use their pictures!
Ooo, another pony tumblr to follow! (not that I'm on tumblr much, but still. Ponies.)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2016, 02:10:05 PM »

Ooo, another pony tumblr to follow! (not that I'm on tumblr much, but still. Ponies.)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LadyMoondancer is definitely worth following- she has the most awesome scans and info!

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 09:21:32 PM »
Thank you, very informative. Interesting to hear that doll communities have found success with the method. explains why it's endorsed so often still.

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2016, 04:52:01 PM »
I think it depends on the color of the pony
Here's a site with the info, go to the Creams section: http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/body.html#StainRemoval
It says you can use it on yellow and orange ponies and sometimes pink and white depending on the pony itself, but avoid on green, blue, or purple ones

Just fyi, this is one method I don't have much experience with personally.  All my info was provided by other collectors and I put it last in the section since it worries everyone so much.  I think it can help with yellow and white ponies, but when I've tried it I actually got no effect whatsoever, this was a couple of years ago and still no change:  http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/mycollection6.html#SundaeBestPonies   (sorry this section of the site is still a bit of a mess.)  I tried whitening a pony with it too, just to see what would happen, and again, nothing.  I don't know if I'm just not leaving it on long enough or what.  It probably has something to do with the vinyl and what caused the yellowing.

I'd definitely give them a good oxiclean bath after using it.  I'll probably contact a few of you to see if I can update that section with your pictures and info since this is such a nice thread about it.

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal