collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Acne cream results  (Read 8498 times)

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
Re: Acne cream results
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 07:51:40 AM »
coming in to share to of my acne cream victims...
"Just do it! It work sooo great!" they said... Nobody had kept an eye on their ponies for a longer period to see the upcoming damage so I cant blame anybody.

Baby Lickety Split... she was perfect except for a few tiny biro marks. Now shes... meh. Well, she is still very nice but see the pink spots on her rear? Thats where the acne cream was. It didnt lighten the ponys body but caused places to turn pink. And to make it worse, it spread / grew bigger. I didnt treat her symbols so everything that is under them comes from slowly processing damage over time.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Poor Nightlight was worse... she came to me full of black marks, you can still see them. The acne cream turned her patchy but didnt do ANYTHING to the marker stains, lol.
Well I have to say, the acne cream - party happened about 8+/- years ago. The light spots caused by the acne cream were waaaaay brighter then, Im acutally surprised to see them darken again.

I also had a Mommy Meadowsweet trated back then... her body turned yellow in those places I treated her and since she also had lost most of her hair she is now sitting in my bait box. Gotta dig her up ...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:54:02 AM by Einhornbaby »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »
Oh no, poor Nightlight!  Have you thought about sunfading her?  Although I don't know what effect it would have on the acne cream areas . . .
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 01:30:04 PM »
Oh no, poor Nightlight!  Have you thought about sunfading her?  Although I don't know what effect it would have on the acne cream areas . . .

I think the cream reacts to sun &/or heat and it could yellow or further bleach out the pony. The black marker looks like it may be on the surface, I would try a very fine grit sand paper on her to see if you can take some of it off.... she actually looks like a really fun project pony.

Please note that if you use these creams on your body they are doing the same thing to you! I wont say too much there, but please please please, if you use these creams research more about them and what they are doing to your skin.

Has anyone tried soaking one of these ponies in oil or hand lotion? I know that sounds weird, but plastics loose oil as they age and these creams work by drying out the area they are on. Oil cant bring back color that was lost, but I wonder if it would stop the spread or help areas that are only part faded like the pink on the baby above? I had a bait Dutch diary that I soaked in oil recently and it had amazing results, she was NOT a acne cream victim though, just regular aging/play damage.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 01:35:56 PM »
No no no no no no no no....this is something I would stand on a soap box and preach to people about. Never ever use acne cream on ponies. For ever reason mentioned here especially that damage can take years to turn up (and since have passed through the hands of a couple of other collectors and the knowledge of the use may have been forgotten.

Too many horrendous stories of damage float around :( and its not something that can  be fixed as you have bleached the colour out of the plastic.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2016, 02:42:24 PM »
The only thing I have ever used on my ponies is a chemical-free soap and a very mild diluted shampoo for the hair, and ditto on any doubles I pick up and sell on, but some of the ponies we got in trade years ago, who knows? My sister's ponies all went up in the attic some years ago. We had them down over the summer and her Daisy Dancer has clearly been a victim of this. Sister took it reasonably well, she isn't a perfectionist, but it was still sad.

None of mine have shown this yet, and that may be because I bought most of mine pre-acne cream discovery, or from local carboot sales - or since the damage was discovered...but I don't rule it out as a possibility. We had Daisy Dancer a very long time, thinking about it, and she never showed any of these issues when she went up in the attic...so it's possible that people were using it even before it became discussed as a cure-all.

I don't believe in restoration generally...this is just a really really good example of making matters worse. I can live with pen marks, depending on where they are and so on...but splotchy plastic due to chemicals that might yet do more damage? No thank you.

Soap is good with me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:45:26 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 05:37:18 PM »
Please note that if you use these creams on your body they are doing the same thing to you! I wont say too much there, but please please please, if you use these creams research more about them and what they are doing to your skin.

NPR but thank you for mentioning. You remember I had really bad skin? I was warned it makes us photosensitive by a doc. I would wear hats and stay inside a lot over the summer. :( I used to have to use it on myself- until I discovered what was causing the issue. Skin and a slew of other things I control with a sadly restrictive diet. but it's worth it to avoid this stuff alone, not to mention all those other problems.

No no no no no no no no....this is something I would stand on a soap box and preach to people about. Never ever use acne cream on ponies. For ever reason mentioned here especially that damage can take years to turn up (and since have passed through the hands of a couple of other collectors and the knowledge of the use may have been forgotten.

Too many horrendous stories of damage float around :( and its not something that can  be fixed as you have bleached the colour out of the plastic.

YES. this is why I tossed all the baits, I didn't want them customized by someone lovingly only to have faded patches, or resold later without that disclosed. and I don't know if I should keep WJ as a horrible warning, or sell her. but before I do her maker marks WILL have RZ/AC etched beside them so any new owner after the next can look it up so they are aware.

My sister's ponies all went up in the attic some years ago. We had them down over the summer and her Daisy Dancer has clearly been a victim of this. Sister took it reasonably well, she isn't a perfectionist, but it was still sad.

None of mine have shown this yet, and that may be because I bought most of mine pre-acne cream discovery, or from local carboot sales - or since the damage was discovered...but I don't rule it out as a possibility. We had Daisy Dancer a very long time, thinking about it, and she never showed any of these issues when she went up in the attic...so it's possible that people were using it even before it became discussed as a cure-all.

When I had to use this cream on my face, well.... the warnings I got was to apply it with something so it isn't on your hands as it will bleach your clothing/bedding etc. So I did that and I also scrubbed my hands after, my blankets were navy and the transfer would have taken it out. it ruined a lot of my pillowcases, no getting around that- my face touched those.

But I could easily see a teen using cream on her face, applied with her hands and handling a pony after and there you go. wasn't intended to be on the pony but it's there anyway.  -_-
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:46:09 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2016, 11:23:17 PM »

[...]The black marker looks like it may be on the surface, I would try a very fine grit sand paper on her to see if you can take some of it off.... she actually looks like a really fun project pony.[...]

Yes, Ive tried that, for example on one of the spots on her neck (the one that looks a little more brown). It did come off a little but I have to say, the spot was smaller before I started treating it with sand paper, so I think I have rubbed it into the body or something (dont know how to explain it in english, I hope you understand what I mean). Well, Nightlight is with me since 2004 or 2005 I think (I got her when we still lived in Hannover, so it must have been around then) and tried so many things on her... nothing worked so I have decided just to leave her alone lol. She was the typical "I-hide-in-a-lot" - pony with her damage not visible. NONE of the other ponies were damaged, it was just her XD
But somehow I love her. Little Eva (Nightlight has the name "Eva" written on her display side) was only trying to paint more stars on her night-themed pony, so I can forgive her :P
btw, thats her display side : http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de/sammlung/regenbogenponys_d/nachtlicht.jpg  (you can see the name on the belly, the camera flash washed it out a little.)

But what I wanted to show and tell is : really DO NOT EVER use acne cream on a pony. You NEVER know what happens and the damage can come years after the use when the plastic starts to degrade. Id rather live with spots and marks then doing this ever again!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 05:55:44 AM »
Moral of the story is that marks are a sign of a child's playing with and loving the toy, but acne cream and chemical damage is the result of collector vanity trying to make an imperfect childhood item into a perfect museum piece.

Personally, I'm happier with the child's love, and I think the acne cream kinda indicates there's a line between cleaning up a battered pony and making it damaged in the long run for a short term appearance of pretty.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 09:24:14 AM »
Moral of the story is that marks are a sign of a child's playing with and loving the toy, but acne cream and chemical damage is the result of collector vanity trying to make an imperfect childhood item into a perfect museum piece.

Personally, I'm happier with the child's love, and I think the acne cream kinda indicates there's a line between cleaning up a battered pony and making it damaged in the long run for a short term appearance of pretty.

Well, my first bad experience with benzoyl peroxide was with a lavender pony whose stains are also kinda my fault (I left it in storage where it acquired several awful brown stains, probably from dust/dirt. They were pretty tough too)
Sometimes marks/flaws are caused by the collector themselves. You can't really blame someone wanting to fix a mistake they made themselves.

As much as I absolutely regret using it on that one particular pony though, I will also have to say that after repainting its symbols, having the bleached looking sections from the cream looks admittedly less bad than it looked before with all those huge brown stains. Lesser of two evils I guess.

I don't have a problem making a pony look more 'pretty' in 'short term' as I would rather already enjoy my toys in the current times especially when I still have a huge interest in them, not as 'collector vanity' to make something look 'perfect', especially since many MLPs are quite old and will eventually succumb to aging anyway.

I most likely won't use acne cream anymore after reading this thread, but all the other toys aside from the one I mentioned above that I have given the treatment a few years ago are still fine today, thankfully.
No spreading either from what I see.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 10:28:49 AM »
It does surprise me that there are still recommendations out there to use the acne cream on ponies.

I remember I bought some of the remove-zit when it came out to use on a doll's face- and it didn't really work, stank really bad and then the stuff got dry so I tossed it.   Thank goodness I never tried it on ponies!

I still have the doll I tried the cream on- it actually didn't fade her face (it has been probably over 8 years)  but the brown spots are still there, lol

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 03:59:39 PM »
I should favorite this picture for all the times this comes up, lol.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 04:20:09 PM »
It does surprise me that there are still recommendations out there to use the acne cream on ponies.

There absolutely are, yes. I am still fairly new to collecting and restoring, and I came across it while looking for information. It wasn't until I registered here that I found out you should not use the cream, and by that time, I had already bought and tried it - luckily only on a baby bottle and maybe on a white pony (not even sure, think I wanted to see if the bottle worked first), but not on any coloured one.
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 04:40:27 PM »

I remember I bought some of the remove-zit when it came out to use on a doll's face- and it didn't really work, stank really bad and then the stuff got dry so I tossed it.   Thank goodness I never tried it on ponies!

I still have the doll I tried the cream on- it actually didn't fade her face (it has been probably over 8 years)  but the brown spots are still there, lol

OMG- thank you I thought I happily forgot about the stink, I think I got one application on my tests. I bought a sample of the stuff from another collector and the SMELL.  :X The other scary thing is it was advertised as formulated for dolls and toys. grrrr. so people using it thinking it's made for this, I can totally totally see.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 05:03:44 PM »
Horrible but I'm glad we are having this discussion!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 05:22:11 PM »
OMG- thank you I thought I happily forgot about the stink, I think I got one application on my tests. I bought a sample of the stuff from another collector and the SMELL.  :X The other scary thing is it was advertised as formulated for dolls and toys. grrrr. so people using it thinking it's made for this, I can totally totally see.

I think the problem is more that they don't specify what kind of toys and dolls it's formulated for. I recently got into Dollfie Dream and Obitsu dolls, and Removezit(and acne cream) are the go-to stain treatment solutions for them. And that's because the vinyl that those dolls are made of do respond positively to these things. Using the Oxy10 method(acne cream), on one of those dolls took off even sharpie with ease and absolutely no damage(beginner mistakes were made...) and that's usually how it goes. So I'm guessing that's probably where the suggestions come from?

It's interesting to read this thread because I have yet to see someone ever say something bad about the acne cream/removezit methods on the Dollfie hobby side. :lol: So it's a bit trippy to be somewhere where it causes damage and is hated. But it's totally understandable! I'm surprised it bleaches them like that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal