collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Original ribbon colors  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Original ribbon colors
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:02:09 PM »
I received a large number of original ribbons and have no clue what color goes with who. Help please.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Original ribbon colors
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 04:31:17 PM »
Try my little wiki. They often mention which ponies had which ribbons. You could watch the cartoons and write em down.

Who are ya trying to match em too?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 04:57:07 PM »
Me too. They can be really tricky to sort out. My little Wiki gives you a starting point but some of the shades are really similar. Maybe if you have any known ribbons you could line those up in rainbow order on a white background as a colour reference guide. You could line the unknown ones up below. Take a picture then write the pony names of the known ones onto it so people can use it as a guide, then post on here... sounds like a lot of effort I know but might give you a better idea... I'm guessing you don't want to miss a rare one. I'll do the same, but I don't have any known ones, I have no idea what any of mine are  :huh:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:29:06 PM »
I have years 1, 2, and 3 almost completely (except sea ponies). I'd love it if some matched up to them. I got them as (I found more pony stuff) in a box of mostly year 2. I'll look on wiki, but where do you find the original cartoon?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 05:40:06 PM »
I think that you'd do better looking at the wiki or at MOC images of the ponies. I think MIP images will exist for most of the early US carded releases at least. The cartoons are noted for their animation errors and there's no guarantee the ribbon colours will be correct.

Ribbons do fade, though, over time. Matching ribbons is one of the hardest things to do!

I just keep all my ribbons. Just in case. The only ones I have properly matched up are ones that came with a specific pony complete, and therefore I can know for sure (in some cases they're still taped to the brushes or combs).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 06:15:10 PM »
True, Gusty comes with a pink ribbon.  However, she was animated with a light purple ribbon.  Though, I personally like her with a purple ribbon since it makes my "Pri-mare-y Four" (Wind Whistler, Fizzy, Gusty, Shady) have different colors (white, light pink, light purple, light blue respectively), but that's just me.  Ribbon was also depicted with a white ribbon on the show when she came with an orange ribbon (I think the cartoon did that to match her symbol).

If you want toy accurate, you need to look at the toys.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 08:18:07 AM »
If you got them in a lot, I find it helpful to look up pictures of the pony mip and match them up that way. It's helped me ID tons of ribbons I got in lots, even with matching brushes and combs!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 08:50:54 AM »
When I paint ponies, I almost always paint them with the appropriate color ribbon according to the toy release. But sometimes a pony with a pink tail has a pink ribbon; then I select a different color of my choosing for contrast.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »
Ribbon colors can be tough! I have found that multiple sites, plus googling MOC/MIB pics is the best way to go. Another helpful site is Ivy's Ponyland Tours (she has many MOC/MIB pics in the accessory guide)
http://www.ponylandtours.com/DreamCastle/Library/Accessories/accessories.htm

Also I have original ribbons on almost all of my US G1's. My collection photography is not complete, but I have many of them up on my Facebook collection page. Here's a link to the US albums:

Years 1-4: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.587616131289902.1073741831.508038065914376&type=3

Years 5-7: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.587616551289860.1073741832.508038065914376&type=3

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »
Hi! You can almost never be confident that a particular ribbon you find goes with a certain pony; the best you can do is get close. As Taffeta said, some ribbons are faded (they are around 30 years old now!). Also, to further complicate things, the same pony sometimes came with different shades of ribbon . . .

Yes, the card art and cartoons aren't always correct about ribbon color, although they are usually at least in the right ballpark.
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »
Oh goodness, I feel you there. I wish someone could come out with a handy color guide so I know what I've got, and which ponies they go with.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 11:57:06 AM »
I would absolutely second the idea of working your way through sites like Great Ponies, the Wiki and MOC pictures. Its the best way to track down individual shades. Otherwise, if you take a picture (while it can be hard to say for certain due to camera and screen differences as well as aging) people will be able to at least give you a starting point :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Tak

• No Transactions
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2016, 12:52:14 PM »
I'm terrible with pictures. My counter is blue so the sharpie is for a reference.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 01:14:16 PM »
Hi! You can almost never be confident that a particular ribbon you find goes with a certain pony; the best you can do is get close. As Taffeta said, some ribbons are faded (they are around 30 years old now!). Also, to further complicate things, the same pony sometimes came with different shades of ribbon . . .

No kidding. Cherries Jubilee was released twice here, for example, once with a butterfly brush and once with a dove brush, both in lime green. I had the later 1986 one MOC already, and her ribbon was lime green, which is what Wiki etc says for the earlier global release one as well. But I had the earlier 1985 one as a child, new. And I always thought my childhood one had a light green ribbon, too. But I got the earlier one MOC this summer, and she...has a yellow ribbon. Sigh. Did it fade? Do all UK first release Cherries Jubilees have yellow ribbons and I just remembered wrong? Did Hasbro even care? The list of questions is endless...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »
The greens are so often the hardest! I was an accessory fanatic even as a child, and at the store I opened several Waterfall playsets (back then this was easy to do w/ damaging anything--one piece of scotch tape!) b/c I wanted my Sprinkles to comes with a green ribbon. In two or three of the boxes I went through the ribbons were more yellow-green. Bubbles is another one that sometimes appears to come with a yellow ribbon, but her "true" ribbon color (if such a thing exists) is more of a yellowish green.

TAK! In the second pic you posted of the ribbons, the 7th one (the greenish one) to me looks like one that could have come with Sprinkles, maaaaaaybe Cherries Jubilee although as Taffeta said the typical ribbon for her is more chartreuse. The 10th ribbon (dark pink) came with Sunlight, Sparkler, maybe Powder (?) and no doubt others.

If the blue one next to the dark pink one is shinier than the others and a bit longer, there is a good chance that is Sundance's ribbon (maybe Year 3 only--seems like her ribbon changed for Year 4???).

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:45:56 PM by ValeofSpring »
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal