collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: eBay seller liquidating custom collection by other artists  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
Not sure if this is the right forum but I just saw that a custom that I made for a swap is up for sale on eBay.  As are a whole bunch of others from diffferent people.

Search "*removed per site rules" - kkat*to find them all just in case you might want one of yours back! 

Now, I completely realize that once given, a pony belongs to that person and they can do what they want with it. 

edit: went back through my records to find who got the pony and I am contacting them with a request to remove my user name from the auction title as that makes me uncomfortable.

edit: because my pony was a swap and therefore a gift and not a purchase, I would have really liked to be notified by the seller (assuming it's the person who originally got the pony) so I could possibly buy it back.  It was just by chance I stumbled upon the auction and would not have normally ever seen my custom for sale. 

I was initially more upset about this but I think it was illness and a long day talking.  I still don't like my user name in the auction title but, other than that, I'm not angry with the seller. 

So, maybe somebody will spot one of their old works of art!  Happy customizing!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:48:23 PM by kaoskat »

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
I come from the firm believe category that once you sell or give something away it's open to whatever the new owner selling if they wish. I've never felt the need to keep something if I really didn't want or need it, and I'd the seller is getting rid of their collection it would make sense to sell it all. There is no telling how many ponies from swaps they might have, and it would leave them still with tons of ponies.

I would say if it bothers you their mentioning your screen name though you might send them a message and kindly ask them to remove it. It was good of them to at least make sure and give you credit, but if you want that private I would say something.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Aadra310

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
It was good of them to at least make sure and give you credit

That's a good point!  Hadn't thought of it that way!  I did request my name be removed from the auction title. 

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
i understand that.
there are several customs i sent off, that i wanted them back.... especially after the reaction the other person had. like. oh. um thanks.
but most people consider it rude to return a custom they got as a gift especially.
i got one way back when that i didn't like, and well i just don't display it.
(they hadn't really listened to what i had posted in the thread) oh well.
but yeah. i don't expect to get my customs back, but the offer would be nice, if they knew who had made them.

though i do find it interesting the prices that people list gifted customs for.

oh so for the record. if i made you a custom and you leave the pony community, don't feel bad. pm me, cuz i'd happily trade etc to get it back.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:55:54 PM by rosierjay »

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
re: your pony name - imo it's just trying to give you credit, but certainly within your rights to ask it be removed

re: swap customs - everyone's tastes change over time. if it was a swap that *just* happened, I would be upset and think my partner didn't like the custom. if it's an older one...well...I've certainly bought a couple ponies when others liquidated that I remember those swaps. :) different people feel differently about asking the creator (if they can FIND them) about "giving it back" ...especially since they "gifted" on to somebody too. That's the thing about swaps. Everyone is basically commissioning someone else, so technically they have "paid" for it...with their own custom that they made (for whoever). As for me, I'm happy as long as my customs end up in a loving home :) even if it's a different home than original. IMO it's not "common courtesy" to offer it back (even for a price)....some DO, but most of those that I've seen feel *very* awkward about it, or apologetic, and they (in my experience) feel obligated to give it back for free rather than having the creator pay for it.

If you are ok with purchasing your own custom back, then you can simply bid on it...or message them and say that you would like to buy it back directly.

it's difficult to price swap customs, for anyone.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: eBay seller liquidating custom collection by other artists
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »
So, are you going to buy back Baby Tex???  I really liked him when you made him!

Offline Aadra310

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 12:08:02 PM »
So, are you going to buy back Baby Tex???  I really liked him when you made him!

Not for that price!  LOL!  Seriously, I'm flattered!  And it's actually "Baby Texas Sun" from the "If they mated swap" where I combined Tex's and Sunburst's symbols.  You can't see the sun in the auction picture.

Offline mlp_loving

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Follow me on Instagram @mlp_loving ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »
I realize that once a pony is sold or given to someone else, it's now theirs to do whatever they want with it. It's kinda sad though to see a pony made for a particular swap, now being sold.  :|

Aadra, your custom Baby Texas Sun is adorable though.  :)

Adoptables by SDS ♥

♥ MLP dedicated Instagram - @mlp_loving ♥

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »

Not for that price!  LOL!  Seriously, I'm flattered!  And it's actually "Baby Texas Sun" from the "If they mated swap" where I combined Tex's and Sunburst's symbols.  You can't see the sun in the auction picture.

I hosted that swap.  /smug

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »
Sometimes people lose interest in a hobby and want to recoup what they had spent on it. When you do a swap you are pouring your time and materials into the custom you sent out. Now unless you plan to give them back the pony you received you really don't have any right to ask for them to give it back.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 11:16:28 AM »
Wow, the price for my alternate pose moondancer...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 11:30:08 AM »
I tried looking but can't see these.  :huh: Could somebody please kindly PM me a link?
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Jordan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »
I tried looking but can't see these.  :huh: Could somebody please kindly PM me a link?
PM'd you  ^.^

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 11:46:38 AM »
Thanks Jordan!   ^.^

None of them are mine. There are some real cuties in there though! I hope that the artists see them and can get them back if they want.

I'd be wanting baby Texas Sun back if I'd made him! And the alternate Skydancer... that's the perfect pose for a peg.  :cool:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 12:47:30 PM »
Some real cuties there! I was tempted by the ladybird custom and the kawaii customs :D

I am sorry that it hurt your feelings
re: your pony name - imo it's just trying to give you credit, but certainly within your rights to ask it be removed

re: swap customs - everyone's tastes change over time. if it was a swap that *just* happened, I would be upset and think my partner didn't like the custom. if it's an older one...well...I've certainly bought a couple ponies when others liquidated that I remember those swaps. :) different people feel differently about asking the creator (if they can FIND them) about "giving it back" ...especially since they "gifted" on to somebody too. That's the thing about swaps. Everyone is basically commissioning someone else, so technically they have "paid" for it...with their own custom that they made (for whoever). As for me, I'm happy as long as my customs end up in a loving home :) even if it's a different home than original. IMO it's not "common courtesy" to offer it back (even for a price)....some DO, but most of those that I've seen feel *very* awkward about it, or apologetic, and they (in my experience) feel obligated to give it back for free rather than having the creator pay for it.

If you are ok with purchasing your own custom back, then you can simply bid on it...or message them and say that you would like to buy it back directly.

it's difficult to price swap customs, for anyone.

I agree with this.  I will admit have bought a lot of customs from people. Some from people who had extra swap ponies to trade or sell (some people have been swapping a loooong time and seriously have hundreds).

I guess if a customizer feels very attached to their customs, but sells a custom anyway- they could always make it a condition of sale that the seller get notified if the pony ever goes up for sale and a chance to buy it back? 

That seems less feasible for swaps- since as noted above, the pony was "paid for" with another custom pony.  So I'm not sure how that would work. You could certainly mention to the person getting your pony, that if he or she does not like it or gets tired of it- you would be open to buying it back or trading for it? I can definitely see some potential awkwardness there...

At any rate, I'm sorry Aadra310 that it hurt your feelings to see one of your ponies in there-  I don't think the seller meant to hurt your feelings *HUG*  It does appear like the seller values all of the customs highly and has taken very good care of them.  Better that they go to another person who loves and values them than end up at the thrift store or broken in a box at the bottom of a closet, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal