collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 125
  • Dot Hidden: 3
  • Dot Users: 10
  • Dot Users Online:

Author Topic: Need help deciding whether to go to the Fair or Bronycon  (Read 583 times)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
Need help deciding whether to go to the Fair or Bronycon
« on: April 30, 2015, 03:18:14 AM »
Now that I can actually afford to go to a bigger convention, I'm having trouble deciding which would be the better fit for me, since I doubt I can afford to do both.  I was hoping some of you who've been to either (or both) of these cons can help me figure out which one I'm going to go to.

I'm leaning more towards the Fair presently, since it caters more towards the original pony fans, and has more focus on the toys and older gens.  I've also never met anyone in person who collects the toys or anyone from here, and I'd like to be able to do that.  Granted, it's a pretty long drive, but it's something I really want to do.  The biggest downside I can think of is that it's a more child-friendly event, and having to show a little bit of restraint compared to Bronycon because of it.  There are also more difficulties in finding someone who I could travel with or share a room with. I can take the expense in gas, but getting a room will be far pricier if I'm doing it myself.

On the other hand, Bronycon will be a bit, well, 200 miles, closer and there are a number of people I already know going. I imagine it will also be more energetic, in terms of the general atmosphere.  They'll also have some of the guests that the Fair will, and I think Nicole Oliver will be there again, as well.  Having people from the show there is really the only attraction to me, as far as the scheduled events go.  The people who are well known in the fandom hold almost no interest, except for maybe some of the artists, if they'll be there.  I couldn't care less about the music, either.  I tried it. I didn't care for it, even the metal.

I'd like to make a decision soon, so if any of you can give me some info or share your experiences to help me make up my mind, I'd be really grateful.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
Re: Need help deciding whether to go to the Fair or Bronycon
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 03:47:04 AM »
I haven't gone to any of the brony conventions, but for me the big pull to the fair is the company. :) at the fair, I can count on most people being honest, it being a safe place to cut loose(to an extent, like you said there's kids) and enjoy myself. I've made friends every year I go.  I don't make friends easily, so that's a big deal for me!
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 05:32:41 AM »
I haven't gone to any of the brony conventions, but for me the big pull to the fair is the company. :) at the fair, I can count on most people being honest, it being a safe place to cut loose(to an extent, like you said there's kids) and enjoy myself. I've made friends every year I go.  I don't make friends easily, so that's a big deal for me!

i agree! i preer hte fiar becuase its safer. in a way but its not just all about the kids.  last year   we neded u hanging out in the hotel Bar  for sevreal hours every night. and its nice to meet people and hang out.   its more g1  related.  while Bronycon is more Fan  based,  and more  G4 oriented. they  do have a few thigns athe  fair that are geared for kids but its not a  "kid only"  event.   i   always ee more adults then  kids.

And its a way to meet all of us !
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Judhudson

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:55:58 AM »
I've been to both.  :)

To put it in perspective: 

BronyCon = Geared to G4, more aimed towards the 'bronies'.  They focus on getting guests, musicians, artists from the G4 fanbase.  In the dealers, you'll find everything to do with G4 stuff, with maybe just a little focused on the older generations.  Attendance wise, it's also 10,000 people...so find yourself in lines most of the time, and you don't get much time to speak with the guests (and forget photo ops).  You feel rushed, in my opinion.  I prefer catching the guests at smaller cons.

Fair - Geared towards all generations.  G4 is slowly picking up steam there from what I saw last year.  In the dealers, they do have artwork and other cool stuff, but a lot of it are collectors toys, which are awesome if you are on the hunt for a specific pony.  Guest wise, I am not sure what decisions factor in when it comes to who they get, but you can actually spend some time with them and not feel rushed.  The attendance is around....what, 1500 - 2500 people?  It feels relaxed.  Yeah, they are kid friendly and have lots of kid activities, but they also have adult activities as well.

If BronyCon weren't so crowded (I am not a fan of large groups of people) I'd pick BC, but I did find myself enjoying the Fair a little more as I didn't feel so claustrophobic.  Only line I waited in was the costume contest line.  :D  And this is coming from someone who is only familiar with G4.  I got to learn a little of the older generation and understand and respect where ponies originated from.  Great learning experience too!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:58:12 AM by Judhudson »

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »
I have not been to the fair, but last year I went to BronyCon and it was probably one of the best weekends of my life. It was so much fun, and to be honest, I think there was only 2 lines I had to wait in. They do sell a bunch of the official G4 toys, and my favorite room is the trading room since you have the chance to trade for some of your stuff (from brushables to trading cards). I ended up meeting a lot of nice people and making many great memories. Either con is I'm sure a great time, but for me, BronyCon was amazing.  :)

Offline CapnChan

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Me, Ponies, and the Devil make Three
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 12:48:46 AM »
Hi zombienixon! I too live in South Carolina, and know several other collectors that do ^^

I think the easiest way for you to decide should be based on your gen preference and who you want to meet. The MLP fair has every generation of MLP but it is mostly lifelong, or G1 collectors that attend (primarily females 20s-30s). We get bronies here and there but it's nothing like BC. The fair has a lot of G4 sponsorship but easily I'd say most the vendor booths either have a focus on G1 or a mix of all gens. Recently, I've seen some G4 only booths and there are plenty of art dealers.  At BronyCon or other brony conventions most of the vendors are G4 only with tons of fanbase booths. There are booths for those who make only brony shirts, booths just for custom clothes, booths just for fan made music, etc. So it's a great place for artists and lovers of G4. But no matter how many bronies go to BC versus how many show up to the fair, the atmosphere is so friendly, so energetic, and it's completely comfortable and fun. There's no awkwardness and everyone truly wants to be your friend. I've also seen tons of kids at BC, more than at the MLP fair, ever. Probably like combined even. So that really shouldn't be a problem. Most of us are mature ladies and gents who know how to have a good time ;)
Current wantlist:
Sandcastles and Shovels, UK G3 Snow'el (loose), Splish, Splash and Splosh, Sunbright Family

Ask what I have for sell or trade! Have G1 merch? Sell unto meeee :D

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 10:16:30 PM »
I've never been to a Brony convention, but I have attended Brony panels and events at more general conventions. The atmosphere seems to be different at different times. Sometimes everyone gets along really well and it's a great experience, but then sometimes I don't feel like I really connect with the Bronies. I also haven't gone to anything G4-specific since the first year or two that it was out, so I don't know how it would be now.

The fair, however, is mostly people from the online community, and I feel like I already know everyone. :) Also, I do like smaller events since they seem much more comfortable and friendly.

But like CapnChan said -- it really comes down to your personal preference. :)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 03:39:05 AM »
Sometimes everyone gets along really well and it's a great experience, but then sometimes I don't feel like I really connect with the Bronies.

I'm a little like that myself. What I like about MLP are things they aren't interested in (especially the toys), and what interests them (fanfiction, music, etc.) I couldn't care less about.  The ones I know personally and some online have more shared interests, but within the fandom at large, the age difference (most are still in high school) can make it harder to connect.

last year   we neded u hanging out in the hotel Bar  for sevreal hours every night.

There's a bar? Sold.

Thanks for the input, everyone.  I was already leaning towards the Fair to begin with, and I think I'll stick with that.  I'll probably reserve my room later this week (there were still some available as of yesterday), and I should probably start planning for the trip. With any luck, I can be there.

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 05:27:48 AM »
Yay! Can't wait to see you, then!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal