collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is this mold?!  (Read 377 times)

Carcina

• Trade Count: (0)
Is this mold?!
« on: July 17, 2014, 11:02:17 PM »
Hi! I got a lot of baity ponies that were my friends childhood ponies today.
I have this Starshine who has these dots all over... I THINK it's just cancer, which would be no big deal, but if it's mold than I don't want her in my house!
I couldn't get her head off to save my life, she's rock hard.

What do these spots look like to you?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Spike

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Monochrome
    • View Profile
Re: Is this mold?!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 11:50:52 PM »
Looks like she's infested with cancer spots. Poor thing LOL. Aren't cancer spots mold? Ugh she looks sad XD

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:58:21 PM »
I believe it's cancer I have one that looks the same.

Offline MiRaja

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:05:37 AM »
It's cancer.

Ponies can't get mold.  They're plastic-vinyl.  Mold needs something organic to live off of.  Vinyl is not organic.  And not like 'organic produce,' but rather 'not man-made with synthetic chemicals.'  Do you know the difference between Rayon and Silk?  Rayon is synthetic silk.  It's not real silk.  But because it's synthetic, moths won't eat it.  But they will eat silk, as its produced by silk worms.  Same thing with mold. 

And no, cancer is not caused by mold.  It's caused by degradation of plastic or foreign particulates in the plastic.  This one seems to be some reaction to the paint in her symbol.  Look at how its clustered.  Likely in conjunction with UV exposure.  You said she's rock hard, so likely left in a lot of sun to cause that to ruin the plasticizer ( the stuff that makes plastic squishy ). 

Pindot mold is also NOT mold.  Pindot is caused by fine particulates, like dust, which are smaller than the pores of pony vinyl, getting trapped in said pores.  Pindot is caused by collectors who don't know how to dust their shelves, and children who played with their ponies in fine dirt or got dusty too. 

Offline Saphraira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Shoo be doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 01:24:44 AM »
The really dark stuff looks like rodent or bug poo. If it is it should wash off.
Looking for Surprise twins mommy

Offline MiRaja

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:47:28 AM »
The really dark stuff looks like rodent or bug poo. If it is it should wash off.

Or paint.  If it doesn't wash off, you can try a touch of acetone.  Acetone works great for surface paint and surface stains, though it'll taking more of what's left of her symbol. 

Offline Nightbow

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 12:27:11 PM »
Since it is concentrated at the flanks, I'd say it's a result of glitter symbol rust.
I'm looking to buy Port-o-Bella. Please email me.

Carcina

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 01:06:45 PM »
It's cancer.

Ponies can't get mold.  They're plastic-vinyl.  Mold needs something organic to live off of.  Vinyl is not organic.  And not like 'organic produce,' but rather 'not man-made with synthetic chemicals.'  Do you know the difference between Rayon and Silk?  Rayon is synthetic silk.  It's not real silk.  But because it's synthetic, moths won't eat it.  But they will eat silk, as its produced by silk worms.  Same thing with mold. 

And no, cancer is not caused by mold.  It's caused by degradation of plastic or foreign particulates in the plastic.  This one seems to be some reaction to the paint in her symbol.  Look at how its clustered.  Likely in conjunction with UV exposure.  You said she's rock hard, so likely left in a lot of sun to cause that to ruin the plasticizer ( the stuff that makes plastic squishy ). 

Pindot mold is also NOT mold.  Pindot is caused by fine particulates, like dust, which are smaller than the pores of pony vinyl, getting trapped in said pores.  Pindot is caused by collectors who don't know how to dust their shelves, and children who played with their ponies in fine dirt or got dusty too.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS ANSWER  :biggrin: I feel much more at ease now, I can stop always being anxious about mold when I get old, dirty ponies  :lol: :lol:

Maybe I could send this pony off to someone to get repainted.... For what its worth, her hair is PERFECT.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 01:49:02 PM »
Poor old Starshine! She is particularly prone to age marks unfortunately. As others have mentioned these things are plastic breaking down and degrading rather than a biological reason.

Mould will grow on or in just about anything it can in the right environment and I have seen ponies with mould in or on them in the past. But its no different than when ponies get things like fly insect bodies or poop on them. Its just something which can happen to anything stored in a poorly ventilated or damp/dank environment.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline renaekathleen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »
Of course ponies can get moldy. Sure, the vinyl is non-organic and the mold is not literally living off the vinyl. But the vinyl is porous and organic matter can get on and in it, and the mold can grow on that.

Ponies can get mold the same way your shower can get mold. And similarly, the mold can be removed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal