collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Non pat pend  (Read 307 times)

DemureGirl

• Trade Count: (0)
Non pat pend
« on: June 17, 2014, 04:26:50 PM »
hi everyone :)

I am still working my way through a massive bundle of ponies inbetween moving but noticed something about Painting Time. She has a filled in hoof where I am assuming Pat Pend should have been.

Why is that?

Here is a photo of her. This is her before picture. She isn't ready for her after yet :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Non pat pend
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »
It simply indicates when she was produced in the line :) That she was made after the patent had been approved and after Hasbro decided to finally get around to removing that stamp from the toys.

Basically when MLP were first released and first went to production, the patent was still pending approval at the US patent office. So in order to defend the product, they put a "patent pending" notice on each pony which acts as to say "we are waiting approval of our intellectual property and rights for this product so dont go copying it". It also meant that after the patent was approved everything produced within the patent pending period was granted equal rights to everything produced afterwards.

After the patent was approved, Hasbro were then able to tell their manufacturers to remove the "pat pend" stamp. Two things are notable here. 1) It is expensive to produce new moulds just for one just minor change. So instead manufacturers would have added a small amount of molten metal to the mould to cover over the "pat pend" statement rather than produce a whole new mould. Thats why often it looks crudely covered up. And 2) Hasbro and their manufacturers took their time to get to this stage. The patent was approved in 1983 but due to manufacture typically being significantly ahead of stocking, it was not really until Year 5 that we start to see the pat pend disappearing.

All of your ponies from the same time as Art Time will have the pat pend section of the original mould covered over.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

DemureGirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 02:51:31 PM »
Thank you, Hathorcat :D

Offline sweetapple

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 09:39:49 PM »
Wow, an interesting read! Thanks Hathorcat!

Sure enough, I checked my herd and found several with an almost-covered pat pend marking on their hoof
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:37:50 PM by sweetapple »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal