collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Value of Customs?  (Read 610 times)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
Value of Customs?
« on: October 07, 2013, 06:39:16 AM »
How do you know the value of a custom pony?

I'm not into customs at all.  I don't own any and usually have no interest in them.  However, there's a custom Rapunzel on Ebay right now that I think is really pretty.  Since no one has bid on her I'm guessing the seller is asking too much?

Also, how do you know that a custom is a good one.  If no one is bidding on this one, does that mean that there's something wrong with it?

[moving to Customs ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:27:06 AM by stinkycat »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Sandra

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Value of Customs?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:50:05 AM »
I'm not a customizer, but I know that most artists base their prices on the cost of the pony, supplies (like paint, hair, etc.), and the time and rigor it took to make that pony. Really, a custom is a work of art, and therefore the artist really has the right to sell it for however much they feel they should sell it for. That's how I see it, anyway. Then again, I don't make customs so perhaps someone that does can shed a little bit more light on the subject. ^.^

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:55:44 AM »
I'm not a customizer, but I know that most artists base their prices on the cost of the pony, supplies (like paint, hair, etc.), and the time and rigor it took to make that pony. Really, a custom is a work of art, and therefore the artist really has the right to sell it for however much they feel they should sell it for. That's how I see it, anyway. Then again, I don't make customs so perhaps someone that does can shed a little bit more light on the subject. ^.^

I customize but i dont sell my work at least not yet, they are normally for me or gifts for my family (spreading the pony joy!) but if i did sell that is probably how i would calculate cost.

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
I would say that the value in a custom is determined by the detail in the piece, the quality of the work, and the name of the artist. Some artists are more skilled and have more experience, so their pieces sell for more. Some customs are also just not of the same quality as others: like a painting. Some people can paint, some people can not.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
I agree that the costs of the bait, hair, paint, sculptey, gems etc are taken into account as well as time. The better and more well known a customizer is the more than can charge and people will willingly pay. For someone such as myself, most of my customs range from $10-$20 (painted only) or $25-$40 (painted, rehaired, gems etc)

If a custom doesn't have a bid on it, it doesn't always mean that it's over priced, it could be that people are waiting till the last minute, or maybe they want to watch it and wait and see what happens. I don't normally put my on bids, mine are BIN.

For the most part people are waiting for their paydays, or to see if something else comes up. It's really a matter of whether or not you feel that it's worth the price the artist is asking. Some people would say yes and others may say no.

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 07:51:58 AM »
just because no one's bidding doesn't mean that the price is too high or that there's anything wrong with it. It may just mean the right person hasn't seen it yet. Or they could be watching it and thinking about it.

as far as "good"...that's relative. your tastes are different than anyone else's so what's good to you may not be good to anyone else or vice versa. Customs are art. Art is subjective.

If you like it, you have to decide what it's value is to you as a buyer (ie how much are you willing to spend?). If you think the price is too high FOR YOU, then don't bid.

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »
basicly, if you are willing to pay X for the custom, then go for it!  Like others have said, a custom is artwork, so it's 'value' is subjective.  I would never pay hundreds of dollars for a plush, but it is actually common for G4 custom plushes to go over $100, you know?  Another thing to remember is there are some artists whose work is very well known, so their stuff may go for a higher amount then a near-identical custom by someone not a part of the community.  Don't buy customs with the expectation they will sell for the same amount or more if you sell them later, though.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
Don't buy customs with the expectation they will sell for the same amount or more if you sell them later, though.

No, I just think she's pretty.  I don't know what she's worth, but I would only pay half what they're asking.  I'm kind of hoping she doesn't sell and ends up being re-posted for less.   :devious:

Offline Starshinescustoms

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Bunny Mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
I sell most of the customs that I make as it is the only way I can afford to keep customizing. I'm not good by any means, there are so many customizers out there far more talented than I am. I know I'm no artist, and I don't pretend to be. But I do enjoy it.
I wouldn't have a clue what my customs are actually worth - quite frankly, I'm always surprised they sell at all-, so I usually price them around the cost of the materials like most other people are saying.
I would have to agree with Thunderwing, it's often in the detail. Some people are so talented at painting, sculpting ect and they put a lot of work into their ponies. Those ponies can sell for higher prices, but a lot more time and money has probably been put into it, and some are just amazing works of art that in my opinion are easily worth what their customizers ask for them.
So much time can go into just one pony. It usually takes me several hours just to airbrush one pony, so I can only imagine how long it takes to sculpt those beautiful wings some people make.
Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/StarshinesCustoms?ref=l2-shopheader-name
Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/starshinebunny
Note: I have changed my ebay username from 'Starshinescustoms' to 'Starshinebunny' but it's still me  :P
DA: http://starshinescustoms.deviantart.com/

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 07:21:33 PM »
This custom was usually made by the member Angelus from the old arena. I don't know if he's a member here again. at the time he was one of the best customisers and quit the business from my knowledge. He did a bunch of different Rapunzel customs i.e. the blue one you see in the auction but he did a purple one too.

I do Rapunzel customs too since a few years. You can see them here http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com/gallery/29867881

As I know that this is a high quality custom, 50$ isn't too much for this custom considering that the original is at about 500$. I ask myself 50$ for a Rapunzel too, because the work that goes in her is very intense considering especially the rehairing job and the rehairing time.

So a starting price of 50$ is fair for this custom. 

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 11:23:44 PM »
I would agree with pandabear_chan. Of course non of us can fully determine the "value" of another person's work, but I would say $50 is certainly fair for that custom. It looks very well done and punzie customs take quite a lot of work and materials.

Offline elish2

• As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 08:53:53 AM »
I was going to ask this same question!  :P I was debating on selling the Custom TAF Gusty I made, but was not sure how to price it...

It is not like I am famous as I am just starting out, so I would not know what to ask for her. She is the first one I have done other than the two batman ones I did for my hubby, and she did take a lot of work as she is a Styling size g3...lots of hair....*shudders*
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 08:55:27 AM »
This custom was usually made by the member Angelus from the old arena. I don't know if he's a member here again. at the time he was one of the best customisers and quit the business from my knowledge. He did a bunch of different Rapunzel customs i.e. the blue one you see in the auction but he did a purple one too.

I do Rapunzel customs too since a few years. You can see them here http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com/gallery/29867881

As I know that this is a high quality custom, 50$ isn't too much for this custom considering that the original is at about 500$. I ask myself 50$ for a Rapunzel too, because the work that goes in her is very intense considering especially the rehairing job and the rehairing time.

So a starting price of 50$ is fair for this custom. 

Pandabear is totally correct...this is an Angelus custom. ;)  His work is really gorgeous and often his colored Rapunzels were more beautiful than the real thing.  He was excellent at making high quality factory repros and it is definitely worth the $50 price tag to me.  I will definitely be bidding, as I had passed up on one years ago and have always regretted it.  :)
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline elish2

• As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 08:59:14 AM »
That Rapunzel is beautiful!!! I would snatch her up if I had the funds!
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline FarDreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »
I will definitely be bidding, as I had passed up on one years ago and have always regretted it.  :)

I hope you win then!  I'm not going to bid, I'm just not into customs enough to spend $50 on her.  She definitely is pretty!  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal