collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: List of ponies safe/unsafe to sunfade.  (Read 16030 times)

Offline Aquarel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Forever busy with stuff...
    • View Profile
Re: List of ponies safe/unsafe to sunfade.
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
Has anyone ever tried to sunfade a G2? I have a nice skyskimmer extra with pink highlighter on her rump.
Selling some ponies to pay for the vet bills of abandoned rabbits I adopted!
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385086.msg1626364.html#msg1626364:frog:

Moonracer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
When it comes to G1s, so far, I've sunfaded Lemondrop, baby Surprise, baby sister Apple Delight and Glory. All of them sunfaded nicely, without any complications. All the other ponies that I'm currently sunfading (Surprise, Bunny Hop, Moondancer, NBBE baby Heartthrob, Little Giggles, Euro Confetti and Butterscotch) seem to be doing pretty fine... but that as well may be due to the fact that the sun here doesn't shine as intensely as in other parts of the world... :P

As for the ponies that shouldn't be sunfaded, you can safely add Italian Skyflier to the list. When exposed to the sun for too long, her original color will fade into pale red. Mine's a good example of that:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That's basically it.

As for G2s... So far I've only tried sunfading Secret Tale, and she did quite okay. Not certain about the rest though... I think they should be fine. :)

Also, coming back to Confetti for one second: since the original US Confetti is prone to burning, does that mean that the UK/Euro Confetti shouldn't be sunfaded as well?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 03:48:12 PM »
There is no difference with G1 or G2 or G3...you will be able to sun fade them. As with everything just be careful with fading symbols by mistake and keep an eye on the process.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 03:54:29 PM »

It's safe for the symbol? Cause I can't imagine trying to cover every single one of hers :p

As tedious as it is ^^; I would recommend covering them all!

May I ask how you do it? I mean, how is there any part of the pony left to sunfade :p

I just sunfaded TAF Yum Yum to white aswell, and this is how I did it:

It took a while, but its worth it.  :biggrin:

Offline Starfall

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »
I bought a bunch of ponies from Gumtree recently - I think they must have been left in a shelf at some point because the following ponies had scorch marks from the Australian sun. They might be perfectly ok with routine sunfading but exercise caution.

Night Glider
Teeny tiny baby honey
Star catcher (faded to the famous Australian green variant)
Bonnie Bonnets

The marks are orange, and the plastic feels slightly brittle.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline CapnChan

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Me, Ponies, and the Devil make Three
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 09:52:02 PM »
Mimic, bright eyes and Windy have been unsuccessful sun fades for me. Quakers took to sun fading perfectly. The zit creme plus sun fading on purple or light purple ponies has proven extremely damaging. Works much better alone on certain color ponies, like yellow, in my opinion.
Current wantlist:
Sandcastles and Shovels, UK G3 Snow'el (loose), Splish, Splash and Splosh, Sunbright Family

Ask what I have for sell or trade! Have G1 merch? Sell unto meeee :D

Offline Aquarel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 12:03:41 AM »

It's safe for the symbol? Cause I can't imagine trying to cover every single one of hers :p

As tedious as it is ^^; I would recommend covering them all!

May I ask how you do it? I mean, how is there any part of the pony left to sunfade :p

I just sunfaded TAF Yum Yum to white aswell, and this is how I did it:

It took a while, but its worth it.  :biggrin:

What kind of tape did you use?

Offline Eldarwen

• View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
What kind of tape did you use?

I have no idea what that tape is called, but its really sticky and its kinda like plastic. But i've also used painter's tape, that was much better. The one used in picture left some black marks (easy to wash away, but still). I would say any kind of tape is okay as long as it sticks to the pony.

Moonracer

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 01:53:46 AM »
Also, when it comes to covering up symbols and eyes, I highly recommend using Blu-Tack (prefferably the original produced by Bostik). For those of you who don't know what that is: Blu-Tack is a putty-like adhesive that's typically used to stick light-weight objects to dry surfaces (paper, posters etc.) and also as an artistic eraser.

The pony batch I've sunfaded earlier all had their eyes and symbols covered using Blue-Tack and it worked fantastic. Not only does it cover everything perfectly, but it also gets off easily without damaging the paint on pony's eyes and symbol (that even goes for ponies with glitter symbol). Also, it can be easily washed off, so there's no need to be afraid if there are some tiny specs left on the surface of the pony.

Another wonderful thing about Blu-Tack is that it can be kneaded into smaller bits, it works wonderful for covering up TAF symbols more precisely (just prepare yourselves to spend an hour doing so :P). 

EDIT:
Sorry for this spam-ish post: just figured I could share something useful with the community. ^^'
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:55:57 AM by Moonracer »

Offline Aquarel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 06:00:46 AM »
Also, when it comes to covering up symbols and eyes, I highly recommend using Blu-Tack (prefferably the original produced by Bostik). For those of you who don't know what that is: Blu-Tack is a putty-like adhesive that's typically used to stick light-weight objects to dry surfaces (paper, posters etc.) and also as an artistic eraser.

The pony batch I've sunfaded earlier all had their eyes and symbols covered using Blue-Tack and it worked fantastic. Not only does it cover everything perfectly, but it also gets off easily without damaging the paint on pony's eyes and symbol (that even goes for ponies with glitter symbol). Also, it can be easily washed off, so there's no need to be afraid if there are some tiny specs left on the surface of the pony.

Another wonderful thing about Blu-Tack is that it can be kneaded into smaller bits, it works wonderful for covering up TAF symbols more precisely (just prepare yourselves to spend an hour doing so :P). 

EDIT:
Sorry for this spam-ish post: just figured I could share something useful with the community. ^^'

My boyfriend is very wary to use those, especially when it's already a bit old, then it leaves blue marks. It did so on the walls of his previous apartment. I think paint tape is very good, (it's the paper kind you mean right?) The black tape is probably isolation tape used for electricity and stuff. I'll have to experiment a bit, have 2 yumyums in my trade box, let's see if they have any marks

Offline Eldarwen

• View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 06:10:46 AM »
I think paint tape is very good, (it's the paper kind you mean right?) The black tape is probably isolation tape used for electricity and stuff. I'll have to experiment a bit, have 2 yumyums in my trade box, let's see if they have any marks

Yes, I mean the paper kind. I think its really good, and its safe to use. The black tape is probably meant for something like that, I have no clue. Its just something I found around the house and decided to try.  :lol:

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 06:20:51 AM »
Any idea if US Gusty sunfades well?  I'm contemplating sunfading one to whiten her and get rid of some pink marks on her face.  I'm rather baffled though by what to do regarding her glitter symbols.  I know I shouldn't put tape on them, but I'm planning to sunfade her in the back window of my car, so the coverings need to be something that stays put.  Any ideas are welcome!
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Callista11

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 06:31:39 AM »
Just wanted to say Mexican pink ponies are not safe to fade  :shocked: I've also had disastrous results with both adult white sea ponies, gingerbread, and my (now tie dye coloured) Italian twilight. I've had heaps of success with dutch ponies, argentina ponies, and everything else (mostly g1s) I've done.  :)

I like to use the most expensive style painters tape (the one that's the least sticky & supposed to be ok to be left on walls longer). I've never had residue left afterwards, or paint taken off. Plus a roll will do hundreds of ponies.

For glitter symbols, just fold a piece of tape together in half and place the non stick side against the glitter symbols before taping over it.   ;)
Octohug Avatar by the talented Thimble!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 12:28:53 PM »
If you are worried about putting on tape over symbols you can actually use paint and simply paint over the symbols. All you need is some standard craft paint.

Here is an older tutorial to help you out.

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,288994.msg85631.html#msg85631
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Moonracer

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 03:48:38 PM »
My boyfriend is very wary to use those, especially when it's already a bit old, then it leaves blue marks. It did so on the walls of his previous apartment. I think paint tape is very good, (it's the paper kind you mean right?) The black tape is probably isolation tape used for electricity and stuff. I'll have to experiment a bit, have 2 yumyums in my trade box, let's see if they have any marks

IDK, when I used Blu-Tack on the first batch that I've sunfaded, it didn't do any damage: all the four ponies that I tried sunfading came out okay, with no marks nor any stains whatsoever. Even those ponies who've been exposed to sun for a whole year (baby Surprise and sister Apple Delight) came out okay.

I guess it all depends on weather conditions, like the intensity of the sun the ponies are exposed to. Here in my place, while it sometimes does happen that we have a blazing-hot summer weather, most of the time, "our" summer sun isn't as intesne as in, let's say, Spain, Australia or California. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal