collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hear Is My Pony Clean Routine! Share Yours!  (Read 722 times)

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
Hear Is My Pony Clean Routine! Share Yours!
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:05:37 PM »
Share Your Clean Routine!

Heres mine!

First of all I wash my ponies tangles and all, I will work out the tangles later.

I put them in a sink of running hot water,
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Then I Fill The sink with 6 incs of hot water, with a half a scoop of Oxy-Clean,
I let the pony soke while scrubbing with a childs soft tooth brush. avoiding painted arias and blush Then rince the oxy-clean off and drain the water.

Then I use Daily Clarifying Shampoo I use it all over the pony in the hair and body. Scrub with a childs soft tooth brush, avoiding painted arias and blush. and for stubborn marks rinse the soap off the aria and use a moist Magic Eraser.

1.50 Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. This Suave shampoo has deep cleansers to get your hair its cleanest while being gentle enough for daily use. This 22 oz Suave Clarifying Shampoo works for normal to oily hair. You can Buy this at Wal-Mart, Sams Club, Dollar Store, King Supers, Target.
INGREDIENTS: 
Water (Aqua), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide Mea, Ammonium Chloride, PEG-5 Cocamide, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fragrance (Parfum), Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Dimethicone Copolyol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Blue 1, Red 33, Ext. Violet 2. :
NOTE: In My experiences this has never harmed any of my ponies, It has never stripped paint. Dose not leave a nasty residue. 

Then I use Conditioner only in their hair. I work it in then take a fine tooth comb and work from the tips of the hair into the rest of the main until you can come through with out your comb getting snagged by tangles. When the comb runs through smoothly your ready for the next step!

The Formulation: This silicone-free conditioner is hypoallergenic, dye-free, safe for colored hair and is infused with Aloe Vera and Avocado extracts, delivering softness, strength and shine.
The Effect: Hair that's hair 10X stronger--after just one use.* This natural conditioner can protect all hair types from damage and breakage.
Recommended For: Dry Hair. All Hair Types. Straight Hair. Curly Hair. Damage Repair.
Ingredients:
Water (Aqua, Eau), Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Fragrance (Parfum), Lauroyl Lysine, Caprylyl Glycol, Brassica Campestris/Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer, Aspartic Acid, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil**, Citric Acid, Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice :
You can Buy this at Wal-Mart, Sams Club, Dollar Store, King Supers, Target.

Then I let them dry 6 to 12 hours, Yes I let that Conditioner seep in so that it has a chance to repair and re hydrate. Then rinse again until it doesn't feel slimy anymore, then you can style it or just leave it to dry!

The result! clean body.. Yes this ponies hair is pretty far gone from being braded over and over but, Is silky to the touch and smooth. just needs an iron.

Here are some that the hair was pretty knotted but by this routine I was able to reverse it.
Bringing it back to beautiful silky hair again.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:12:38 AM by NamineEveningLight »
:accomplished:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Share Your Pony Clean Routine!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 10:13:14 PM »
Mine is pretty quick.
I typically first remove heads and replace the clamp with a cable tie. Then I scrub the pony well with simply hot water and soap. Usually I go over the pony with a magic eraser. The pony then gets a magical diluted bleach bath and finally a nice cleaning and styling of the hair. Sometimes I use oxiclean but not always. Either way those ponies are gonna sparkle and be very sanitary. Lol
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hear Is My Pony Clean Routine!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:51:54 PM »
Wow, I'm starting to get the impression I don't leave the conditioner in my pony's hair NEARLY long enough XD I honestly just put it in, comb out all the tangles, and then wash it all out again. I never let it stay, I'm always too impatient for it to dry so I can comb it and make it pretty  :blush: their hair still usually turns out very silky when I'm done, but I wonder if I should maybe start waiting a little bit longer from now on.

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 02:56:04 AM »
there's no bleach or oxiclean in my routine - I'm severely allergic to bleach and I've had bad things happen with oxiclean.

I usually wash them in warm water - Use a magic eraser to get rid of stubborn dirt.
For hair - it's usually just conditioner - and a flat iron for frizzy hair.

rinse and recurl as necessary.
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Hexi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 03:04:01 AM »
Mine might be a bit weird but i take my ponies into the shower and once I'M clean and conditioned i rinse them off in the water then put shampoo into their hair and using a soft toothbrush i give their bodies and grubby bits a good scrub. avoiding symbols and eyes of course. then i rinse them again and make sure all the shamppo is out. then condition their hair and leave them on the side while i dry off and sort my own mane out. i then give them a good comb through. once with a wider tooth then with a fine tooth and rinse the conditioner out really well. if there is still some in when they are dry then they get another rinse.
i have a few ponies with really tough frizz so might try leaving the conditioner in much longer though. :)

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 03:26:33 AM »
Namine thats great!! I need to do that to all my ponies soon they are well overdue a clean! :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

autojoy

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 05:46:33 AM »
Woooah, the before-and-after photos of Strawberry Fair are incredible! It's so good to see stuff like this!  :biggrin:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Hear Is My Pony Clean Routine! Share Yours!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 11:11:28 AM »
What a great detailed process :)

It really depends on the condition of the pony as to how and what process I use - different ponies and different issues require different solutions but this is an awesome start to finish guide.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 11:20:11 AM »
Mine involves keeping as much of the original parts as possible, because I believe altering things dramatically changes the value and ruins the pony.  So I keep all washers even if they are rusting.  If the head has not been removed, I do not remove it unless I smell mold. I will lightly clean these ponies on the outside.  If the washer on the tail is rusting, I will take it off and use a zip tie careful to not remove any other hardware that will make it impossible for someone to tell if the tail is authentic.  Then I use a tiny button bag and put the original washer inside it with a silica pillow and put it back in the pony after it is dry.  I use a tiny blob of magic clean eraser in clamps to scrub the inside of the pony all the way down to the feet.  I rarely use oxyclean unless there is smooze. I usually use a clorox mix to kill germs.  If the pony has an odd aging smell. I wrap them in a table napkin and enclose them in a zip lock bag with a bounce sheet as well as stuff the sheet in their body.  I use condition and heat elements for the hair if its really frizzy otherwise, I leave it along to keep the original curl when possible.  Oh and I use perm rods and papers for re-styling hair.  I will usually try to find a vintage bait with a good tail to use for re-hairing the mane if the mane is missing a few plugs.  This way the hair is vintage and real MLP hair for that pony. I just can't bring myself to re-hair a vintage pony with other hair with its origianal vintage hair.  Customs that doesn't matter.  So, sometimes I buy baits just to have hair in case I find a plug missing.  I also put those silica anti humidity pillows inside any pony that was treated for mold as it keeps it from regrowing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:27:20 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »
I start by beheading all of my G1s. There are a few exceptions of course, but that's a personal choice for me, because even if the pony looks nice on the outside there could be ickiness inside that can cause problems later. I just don't want to take that chance.

Usually for body scrubbing, mold, and rust I use Dawn brand dish soap. It's really good for removing mold actually. I use a toothbrush to clean the inside of the pony, and sometimes toothpaste for really stubborn rust, since toothpaste is designed as a scrubbing agent. Once that is done, I rinse the pony off and work on the surface dirt. Magic erasers are a recent tool for me, but if the marks don't come off I usually also try nail polish remover. I can't say I've ever used Oxy or bleach, but just as a little PSA I want to add that you should NEVER use dish soap (or at least the Dawn brand) in conjunction with bleach, because it contains ammonia. Ammonia and bleach should never be mixed for any purpose whatsoever, because together they will release fumes that can KILL YOU. Please, don't die for your ponies. :whoa:

The next step is the hair, and I've always used Suave conditioner. My reasoning for that is because I used to use Suave on my hair, but it irritated my scalp and worsened my dandruff, so I switched shampoos. And because of the switch... I still had half-empty Suave bottles galore! It was just resourceful for me at the time I first started collecting, but now that I'm used to it I just can't seem to switch! I only buy Suave products for pony and doll hair now. :) So I take a glob of it and work it in the mane and tail, then begin combing at both ends. I start with the wide tooth first, and then go through again with the fine tooth to make sure I have all the tangles out. If the tail has some rust problems, I'll take pliers and pull it outside of the body to work on separately. (I also use pliers to pull the glue out of Sea Ponies.) If I take the tail out, I usually let it dry separately and then push it back in through a variety of ways.

Then I let the heads and the bodies dry upside down for the next 24 hours. Sometimes I use discretion though, like with smaller ponies like babies, G2s, McDonald's ponies, and some fakies, I use less time. With larger ponies I often add another day. The one Bushwoolie I have needed to be scrubbed, and he took a month for all of the water to drain out of the hole on his bottom. My thinking is that if the pony dries awkwardly, then that defeats the purpose of cleaning it because of the mold that can easily come back!

For smelly ponies I used to use dryer sheets, but when I heard about the allergy problems that can come with them I switched to vinegar. It makes the ponies briefly smell like pickles, but at least it's better than a pony smelling like smoke or mildew, or animals.

cleverLC

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »
there's no bleach or oxiclean in my routine - I'm severely allergic to bleach and I've had bad things happen with oxiclean.

I usually wash them in warm water - Use a magic eraser to get rid of stubborn dirt.
For hair - it's usually just conditioner - and a flat iron for frizzy hair.

rinse and recurl as necessary.

This is what I do, except I don't use a flat iron because I don't like ponies to have stick-straight hair.  If I'm styling pony hair (especially G4s because I like to give them show-accurate styles), I dunk it in boiling water after I have everything in place, to hold the style.  That way, when it dries, the hair is set in the right position, but is still brushable (unless I thatched it--I've learned the hard way that you NEVER brush a thatched mane straight back).

Hexi, I don't think it's weird at all to take the ponies into the shower with you.  That way, everyone gets clean together!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 09:44:58 PM »
Hmmm...  wipe them with a baby wipe to remove surface dirt/marks.  Pop heads off, or run under very hot water until head pops off!  Remove tail, replace clamp with ziptie and set aside.  If hair has rust stains, put in jar of CRL for a few days.  Rinse well.  Gloves, vent fan, and mask, everyone!  :)  Scrub the inside of the pony with either dish soap and toothpaste, repeating until clean.  Treat marks on pony with acetone.  Rinse well again.  Replace tail, wind around leg, wrap toilet paper around hair, set upside down to dry.  Take head, scrub if needed, wrap hair into straws or around neck - wrap in toilet paper, set aside to dry.  Wait 2-3 days until the toilet paper is totally dry and sort of stiffly comes away from the hair when you pull on it.  Put head back onto body - careful where you are applying pressure with your fingertips - you don't want to mess up the hair you just did!  :D  Tie ribbons if wanted, hooray, pretty pony!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 02:12:50 AM »
First I remove markings with Acetone and then clean them using some natural soap with the hard size of the sponge. Then I clean the hair 2 times using shampoo and then conditioner and while thats in I comb the hair. Then I let them stay for 10 minutes or more and then rinse them out while making them into model. Then I drop boiled water over them and right after that some cold and then I put them most of the time outside to dry. :)

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 03:24:41 AM »
Haven't done any in a while but first I check the pony over to see just what needs done.
Then I usually body clean, if it's not too bad I just use handsoap (the squirty stuff) and water to clean them up if it's bad they get an oxyclean bath.

I only tend to take the heads off ponies if the seal is loose, or if I can really see they could do with an internal clean.

Hair I brush and condition, sometimes I style straight off after washing or sometimes I leave and then do again later.

I've never 'set' my ponies hair after I've styled them, I might have to try that.

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Yuitsu

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Gamer Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 03:30:27 AM »
My kit includes magic eraser, conditioner, ziplock bags, cable ties, oxiclean or nearest equivalent and denture whitener.

Denture whitener is great for making leftover flocking glue show up, as well as a gentle clean/stain shift.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal