collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: (New?) US Customs Forms  (Read 1432 times)

KiwiSquirtBottle

• Trade Count: (0)
(New?) US Customs Forms
« on: April 20, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »
So a few months ago I mailed a few things out internationally, and I just had to fill out a small 3x5ish form. The left side was green and was for what I was shipping, cost, etc. The right was white and for my name and the recipient's name.

Today I stopped by to mail something internationally again, and I think the forms changed? Or I'm not remembering correctly. But now it's a set of 3 (2 duplicates) that I have to fill out, the bottom copy is the one that gets slapped on the box. My only issue is that because the paper's a bit thick, it seems like what I'm writing doesn't adequately copy down to the one that goes with the package. Instead of being legible, you have to hold it to the light, squint, and then you can make it out. I'm using a pen on a hard surface and pressing fairly hard (I took a few home so I could fill them out not at the PO and tried again, same result) but it's still very, very faint. The guy at the PO seemed upset when I asked if I should fill out the back copy with ink, just to make sure. "No. You can't write on that one."

Should I be concerned that when it gets to customs (either here or in the new country) that there'll be issues with the package since it's hard to read?

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
Re: (New?) US Customs Forms
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:29:58 PM »
The paper is carbon and should transfer, but sometimes it doesn't very well and I don't know why. Maybe it's just a poor design or the pen we used? I filled out the last portion because I couldn't see the writing and I am a derp who didn't realize it was carbon paper originally! XD I'm not sure why he would tell you not to write on it...I don't think there is a rule against it, especially if you can barely see it. The woman at the post office when I had to do it didn't seem bothered by me filling it out again because she knew the issue people had with it. I'm sure they'll be able to read it, though. If you and I have that issue then I'm sure many other people do as well.
I'm sure it'll be okay. :hug:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:31:45 PM by Chi »
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Stuntmang

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:40:36 PM »
That's kinda weird. I stopped by my post office today to get some mailers and a customs form and the form I got was the green on the left one. Maybe see if you can get a hold of some of the old ones and use those instead?

Offline ristvak

• Trade Count: (+88)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:55:53 AM »
Wow I'm kind of surprised you still have the single sheeted one! They started changing them over... gosh probably before 2011. I have a feeling places are using up their single sheeters before moving on to the new carbon paper ones.

But yes the 3 sheet carbon paper forms are the current customs forms. They can be a real pain!! I have sent a ton of packages since they switched over and have never had a problem with any of the packages being undeliverable or rejected because of the customs form though. (The biggest problem I have with them is it's so hard to read the address on the 'receipt' portion of it that you get!) Just remember to press really hard, and, if you're good enough at tracing, go over your own writing a couple of times. (I always use just a regular cheapo BIC and press down til my hand hurts when I fill them out)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:58:05 AM by ristvak »
If you haven't received feedback from me, give me a nudge!

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 08:25:48 AM »
I hate those forms too.  My post office guys really like me and gave me their last stack of the green and white forms.  Whenever I have to use the new three part ones, I make sure to use my RSVP fine point pen and write on a hard surface. I think it's the really fine point that makes the darker lines through the carbon copy, but it works like a charm =) If I use a medium point pen, or the BIC roller ball pens, I really have to push hard and it looks so sloppy on the last copy.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 08:26:17 AM »
ristvak is right they changed them over sometime last year.

There should not be any problem with your buyer receiving there item though.  They are the standard form used now.

But it's true what everyone has mentioned about making sure to press hard.  It does not transfer very well.  :(   And you will have a sore hand. 

*sigh*I wish they would just let you print First Class International labels already from their website.  If ebay can they most certainly can too!
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »
I have been filling out the carbon copy one since last december - it is the newer one. I have yet (knock on wood) to have a problem with them reading it though

KiwiSquirtBottle

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
Oh good. I'm glad, in this instance at least, my post office was slow to get them. They do seem terribly annoying. It seems like it would make more sense to have the original be on the package and keep the copies on file, but... That'd make the post office's job  a smidge harder as they couldn't just peel off the back of the last one and stick it on. And I'm also glad to hear that no one else has had problems so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, then! :D Thanks!

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:11:01 PM »
I find them annoying too, I'm glad that on eBay they just electronically send the other copies and print out the customs form legibly :P

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »
It seems like it would make more sense to have the original be on the package and keep the copies on file, but... That'd make the post office's job  a smidge harder as they couldn't just peel off the back of the last one and stick it on.
I wondered why the post office was using the bottom copy myself when they first switched over to them here.  FedEx Ground forms do the carbon copies as well and the top one is the one they peel off to stick on the package; so, it can be done.  :P    Oh well, I've not had any problems with them and I've been using them for over a year (I think the switch started about two years ago as I had heard about them before they showed up here).

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »
Oh noes! sounds like a pain! :crazy:  I cant add anything to the advice already given, other than perhaps ask your PO if they have any of the old customs forms they need to use up ;) 
  ... makes me glad the UK ones are so much easier to fill out *runs and hides*  :bolt:  :P

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal