collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you do with customs from others?  (Read 4127 times)

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
What do you do with customs from others?
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
What I mean is, I have a lot of customs from swaps and things, and there's a some of them I don't want to display anymore due to lack of space, or I'm just not that interested in them. I'm not nearly the pony fan I was, and I'm really trying to conserve space for other collections, not just ponies. I stopped customizing long ago and while all of them are very beautiful and I'm grateful for them, I'm just not attached to them anymore.

I have most of them boxed up right now, I wouldn't feel right about throwing them away, and I would definitely never sell them. But what about trading them? Would that be okay, knowing they'd go to another loving home?  I thought about maybe trying to find their original maker and seeing if they want them back, but I couldn't afford to mail them back so it'd be at the original artists expense to get them back, I suppose. Or I could simply give them away, but again, I'd have to ask the person who wants them to pay shipping. Many of them I have no idea who originally made them either. I could *try* to search the archives, but that's a *long* time ago...

I don't want to leave them boxed forever, as I really need the space, and some have gotten a little damaged over the years of constant moving/repacking. What do you think? What would you do?

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with customs from others?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »
Generally I think people are understanding here in the community about things like this.  Tastes change and space is a factor with any collection.  I think you would be fine to do trades (but that won't solve your space problems unless you trade for other items, supplies, etc).  Most people would be willing to pay shipping to receive a pony they have bought or as a gift so I wouldn't worry about that.  If you don't feel right about selling them you could have a raffle and just let the winners pick from them.  Then you aren't really selling them but if you are hurting financially it might be nice to have a few extra dollars. If you post pictures and one of the creators happens to see one they would be free to contact you and make an offer on the custom or inquire what if anything you might be seeking for it. *thinks* Contests are always fun but then you would likely get stuck with shipping costs.  Well long story short I think you are good to do whatever you feel is right.  Better they find a new home than spend their lives in boxes right?
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

nonokono

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »
if someone bought a custom from me and just didn't feel attached to it after a while, I wouldn't have issue with them selling them on (I might be a bit irked if they made more than I did though XD), trading them, giving them away... anything. As long as they didn't get dumped (not that I'd know unless they said so anyway!) or, they weren't traded with "I hate this ugly troll of a pony >(" underneath I'd be OK about it!  Like Sarah said, tastes change and space is always a factor - I just got rid of a few of my ponies... not customs, but still. Twas a sad day ;0;

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »
Sarahlacewing is quite correct, some great ideas there!  I actually love it when people resell customs, it gives me a second shot if I missed them on the first run.  Most artists totally understand, we are typically collectors too.  I want someone to enjoy my ponies, and when they aren't bringing them any happiness, then rehome them to someone that will get fresh enjoyment. 

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »
I think contacting the original artist is a good idea- I know I have a few out there that I wouldnn't mind buying back (or paying shipping if it was for a trade/swap). I think most people would understand if you wanted to sell, but I'd definitely contact whoever made it if you know, and maybe post a "do you know..." thread for those you don't know.

Disregard the Prologue

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 11:48:11 AM »
I would definitely be interested in seeing what customs you're considering rehoming.
asking for shipping or trades or even taking offers are all good ideas :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Alexia

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://easternsunsetcreations.webs.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:49:48 AM »
I agree with pretty much everything said above.  I am fine with my customs being sold, raffle, traded, rehomed, etc. I just would ask that credit be given where due. 

As far as finding the original artist on swaps, you might want to post pictures of ones you plan on sending on to a new home.  There are definitely some customs I had a hard time parting with and would like to have an opportunity to get back.

Offline DaffyDilly

• Daffy loves mints
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
I have had one of my customs come up onto the market, and the seller let me know that she would be selling. I actually bought the pony back for my collection :)

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »
I have no problems with any of my customs being sold/rehomed.  :)  I really don't have the space to buy back mine.  I'd post pictures up and that might help with id-ing the original artist.
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 05:38:39 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'm really glad most are cool with the idea of trading them off. I'm thinking I would do that for other toys and things I DO want for my collections. Though, I may make a "Is this yours?" Topic for the first little while to allow anyone to reclaim a custom they made, if they so chose. I do know some artists get very attached to their work, and I respect that.

Offline savvyfarrier

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »
I am actually going to be selling some of my collection soon since I am running out of room. I am contacting the original artist to see if they would like to buy them back first. If I don't get a response I usually go ahead and sell them. I would definitely want to know if someone was selling my custom, because I tend to get attached to my ponies. I'd probably offer to buy them back lol
[Please learn and follow the sig rules. Help is available.]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal