collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Showing your friends your collection.  (Read 18093 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Showing your friends your collection.
« on: January 15, 2012, 05:22:23 PM »
Have you done it? Or are you a closet collector?

Last night I had a dinner party with several guy friends. In my living room display cabinet were all my custom ponies, as always. I've been comfortable showing them off for quite some time. I finally decided it's time to showcase my original MLP as well, so I devoted the entire bottom shelf to them - Chief, Lavender Lace, piggies Minty and Lemondrop, Greek Sunbeam, Peruvian Windy, Lemon Treats, Sugarberry, Red Roses, Scrumptious, Wigwam, Frankie, Sunburst, German Tiffany, Applejack, Seaflower, Pristina, Magic Star, and Skippy.

Guess what? They couldn't even tell the difference between real MLP and the cool customs! They teased me a little, but it was all in good sport! hehe
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 05:23:38 PM by tuneful87 »

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Showing your friends your collection.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »
Well, I was a closet collector for a few years and have just recently felt more comfortable telling people about my ponies.  My husband is the only one who has really seen my collection.  However, my best friends and my co-workers now know that I am a collector.  My conversation starter is my beautiful Zazzle Summer Winger iPhone case my hubby gave me for Christmas; people see it and they love it! 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »
I always show my friends as my ponies (the are in my room and my sons room..he is to ypung to complain)... I even have a few friends that when they arrive at my house they make me show them my new ponies cause they love them  :biggrin:

Offline MintySocks

• Singing Artsy Fartsy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 05:36:33 PM »
My friends saw my collection in my room when they came over to help out after I had my baby. They were like, "Holy crap! That is a LOT of My Little Ponies!!!" Which makes me laugh because it was only about 1/3 of my collection, the rest is in a tote. :silly: They seemed to like it though and thought they were really pretty.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »
If anyone enters my room they immediately know I'm a collector. xD
However no one comes in my room but my boyfriend's mom (who I live with) and my boyfriend when he visits. My best friend is very aware of my collection (as she got me into MLP, lol) but she lives in Canada so she's never seen them in person or anything.

I don't hesitate to talk about my ponies or MLP in general, or to post photos. I've got photos all over my Facebook and on deviantART so anyone who cares to look can figure it out very easily. I don't care who knows, and if people give me crap for it I block and ignore them. :3

SuniMoon

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »
Hmm... Well, I never try to hide them or anything, but they're not something I go out of my way to bring up.
Most of my friends know that I make custom ponies and dolls, so seeing that stuff in my house isn't surprising...

I don't COLLECT too many ponies, but my favorites are allll over my room. Surprise, Sugar Apple, Bubbles, and Tootsie live right over my bed, and the others are on a shelf above my computer... So they're kinda obvious, to anyone who visits. :)

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 06:17:31 PM »
Pretty much everyone who knows me (including coworkers) know that I collect ponies, so it's not really a big deal. It's always fun when someone new comes over and their face goes O_______________O when i show them what little parts of my collection are on display...and then they have a heart attack when i tell them there's more...in boxes. lol.
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline Bellevi

• Trade Count: (+12)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 06:20:05 PM »
My friends know that I collect, but I don't think they're sure of how to react to seeing my collection. It's usually a joking "Wow, you have problems," which is about as funny as a customer saying "If it doesn't scan, it's free."

One of 'em actually started reading about pony history on her own, though.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 06:21:57 PM »
... which is about as funny as a customer saying "If it doesn't scan, it's free."/quote]

Aaaadlkjsdf I hear that at least 5 times a day at work. *hiss*
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

ZettaMomo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 06:32:31 PM »
Most people I talk to know I collect ponies. I have worn some pony necklaces I have made and even brought a few ponies to school before to show one of my 'brony' friends. My friends are okay with it and the other students usually do not give me a hard time about it (they will ask questions, but they aren't rude or anything).
My Forensic Science teacher actually thinks it is pretty cool and is super supportive. I brought in a few ponies I had for a toy drive we had in the class and my teacher ended up keeping them on her desk until we had to turn them in. I also was messing around in class and made a pony out of clay that we were using to make the muscles and she ended up keeping it on her desk!
 :art:

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
I really dont mind what people think about my collection so I'm open about it   :awake:  (of course not just anyone can go into the pony room and no touchie is allowed without me being there though ;)  )   
I think that the more people that know you collect, the more people there are to potentially help you hunt ponies.. right?! :accomplished:  :good:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 07:02:13 PM »
I cop a bit of harmless poking fun at me from time to time about my ponies, but most people that know me are aware its who I am. I am not really an active collector any more, but still have a few ponies and a giant RD, plus heaps of unicorn related stuff, most of my friends just buy me random unicorn stuff instead of picking on me about the weirdness that is pony collecting :P lol so I ain't complaining. I never hid my love of ponies or toys, if someone doesn't like it, I don't really care, most of my friends think its pretty cool, in a non nerdy way hahaha.

I was treated as a "mascot" in my last full time job, as a security guard, the boys would often tell complete strangers about my pony collection and ask me to show them photos :) most people that know me fore more than about 5 minutes aren't shocked about it, its almost expected.

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 07:08:00 PM »
My collection's not really hidden, it's on a shelf to the left of my desk. I recently had some clients over to reference some work I was doing for them, and they were entertained by it.

Fortunately I work in an industry where quirks are acceptable, and expected, so no one's going to think strangely of the ponies in my home.

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline clones_rebellion

• Evil Swap Queen
  • Trade Count: (+422)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 07:54:55 PM »
I am a loud and proud pony collector. *Everyone* who knows me, knows I collect ponies. I have ponies at work, in my car, on my purse and sometimes on my clothing. But on the rare occasion someone new gets to see the pony room, they usually stand there absolutely slack jawed. And I just stand there and laugh! The pony room has been described as everything from Insane to Mind Blowing to Outrageous to Epic. (Epic being my favorite.)

~My Wishlist!~ Thank you Moonbreeze for my Atlas and Bastet siggy!

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »
Pony collecting is one of my favorite hobbies, so of course I'm gonna be open about it. :P  I love my little pony collection. <3

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal