collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mildew covered/stained Pleasant Company AG dolls  (Read 2059 times)

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
    • my collection catalog (IG)
Mildew covered/stained Pleasant Company AG dolls
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:30 PM »
I just grabbed my childhood AG dolls (all pre-1995) from storage, and they're all covered in white, gross mildew. The dolls are stained brown underneath it wherever the stuff is touching. I know absolutely nothing about cleaning these ladies and don't want to damage them further (I'm trying to be positive and assume they can be saved.) Can anyone help me figure out where to start when it comes to fixing them? There are SEVEN of these dolls and it will break my heart if they're not salvageable. I've been trying to join a few AG doll forums for weeks, but they seem to be closed down like Ft. Knox. I appreciate any help I could get. Thank you in advance.

Crossing my fingers here.  :cry:
You can see my collection on InstaGram @ mylittELLEpony  :lovey:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Mildew covered/stained Pleasant Company AG dolls
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:34:42 AM »
Yes you can... it's just going to be a lot of work.  :)

First start disassembling them.  Put the heads in not-sealed bags, unstuff them (you WILL have to replace the stuffing), get all the limbs sorted out.

Soak everything in cleaner - it can be Oxi for the body/limbs and dry in sunshine.  The heads, you'll need to cover the eyes with painter's tape or the like while scrubbing them and washing the hair.  Don't get water in them! 

Stains can be removed from the vinyl with acne cream - you know the stuff we say NEVER to put on ponies?  Yeah it works on AG dolls. 

You can scrub down their vinyl with baking soda, be careful about getting it into their eyes.  Q-tips are your friend here.

I'm surprised that AGPlaythings is closed for applications again!  I'll ask...
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 08:45:29 AM »
Yes you can... it's just going to be a lot of work.  :)

First start disassembling them.  Put the heads in not-sealed bags, unstuff them (you WILL have to replace the stuffing), get all the limbs sorted out.

Soak everything in cleaner - it can be Oxi for the body/limbs and dry in sunshine.  The heads, you'll need to cover the eyes with painter's tape or the like while scrubbing them and washing the hair.  Don't get water in them! 

Stains can be removed from the vinyl with acne cream - you know the stuff we say NEVER to put on ponies?  Yeah it works on AG dolls. 

You can scrub down their vinyl with baking soda, be careful about getting it into their eyes.  Q-tips are your friend here.

I'm surprised that AGPlaythings is closed for applications again!  I'll ask...

I applied there probably 6 months ago and never heard back.  :blink: I haven't looked again bc I assumed they wouldn't let me in since they didn't then and nothing has changed. I'm totally cool with a lot of work, they're worth it. When you say cover the eyes with tape do you mean just tape over them like across the vinyl in front? I'm not too worried about the hair or even the paint on their faces as I can replace/fix both of those, but I'd like to not destroy their eyes if I can avoid it.

Thank you for giving me hope. I don't care how much work it takes, I'm saving these dolls!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:14:39 AM »
Yeah, tape over their eye sockets while you're fussing with the heads, but make sure you have a paper towel or a napkin in-between so you don't catch the eyelashes on the tape.  :)

I poked the mod team at AGPlaythings ; but you may have to apply again.  They don't have as many active mods as we do so they tend to approve memberships in rounds. 

Best of luck - I don't know how I would cope if I had to clean my dollies up from that kind of condition! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »
Thank you for your help. I applied at AGPlayThings again. Fingers crossed. In the meantime I'm going to take them apart and toss the fluff. I'll update here when I start cleaning them.

UPDATE (7/22): I took all of their heads off and removed the stuffing from every body. Only Molly is really THAT bad, but they're all pretty gross. Kirsten's wig is probably a total loss. It's absolutely disgusting. I'm going to take some "before" pictures later today and start the initial cleaning process.

UPDATE (7/23): I did a massive clean on the girls today and had some successes and some losses. Kirsten and Addy both had NESTS OF DEAD BUGS in their wigs, as well as mildew so bad I decided the wigs were total losses. I know this is probably blasphemy for original Pleasant Company dolls, but I felt it was the right decision. Molly was the worst mildew-wise, but she came clean! My "girl of today" (no idea what number but she's from the year they were introduced) has some brown staining on her limbs underneath where the mildew was so I'll be treating that soon. Their bodies all came clean. I repainted their lips and reblushed their cheeks. Once they're all dry and I can restuff, I'll post some pictures. I only took one shot of the nastiness (one of the arms while cleaning) but I'll post that, too, to give an idea. I'm excited to find new wigs for Addy and Kirsten and get the stains out of my GoT (I need to name her.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:54:35 AM by mylittELLEpony »

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 10:47:19 AM »
Oh boy I feel for you. I have a lot of AG dolls and at least 3 that need to go to the AG hospital for new heads.  I agree with the methods you have been given by LBS to fix them.  She is dead on right.  What happen? Did they get wet or something while exposed to a high heat in storage?  Storage along should not have done that to them unless perhaps they were stored in plastic.  I would be so sad if that happened to my girls.  I am glad you are trying to fix them.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 03:40:10 PM »
Did you get into Playthings yet?  :) 

Nah, you can get new wigs from Ebay or some place, it's okay.  Lots of people end up re-wigging!  Sounds like it's going well and you're inspired by your results.  :)  Your dollies will be even more special once you invest all this effort into them!
The Bad Trader List

Offline mylittELLEpony

• Secret Surprise Pony
  • #SaveTheG1s
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »
Three are clean and in a closet right now with new stuffing and refreshed lips/blush, but two have no hair. I have a head sitting on my kitchen counter and the body next to it being treated for really bad staining, but I'm optimistic. I thought I had more but I have four.

They were in my mom's basement, which flooded about 9 years ago. She just pulled them out of the water and put them in space bags still damp. The damage could've been a lot worse than it was.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal