collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody left that grew up with G1 ponies?  (Read 9025 times)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
Anybody left that grew up with G1 ponies?
« on: June 18, 2017, 11:37:06 AM »
I definitely did. I had a blast playing with the ponies. I remember when they first came out in the stores. I still think back to those days of playing with the showstable. I also loved Brandy the doggy. He had such soft plastic legs. I also had a hard time fitting applejack into the show stable. Then came the Dream castle which I played with alot. My Majesty had weird yellow regrind on her legs I thought an alien from space slimed her. I also think back to saving up for the mail order ponies. Though I didn't get them all the rainbow ponies were the best. There was also the time my dog chewed up my ponies so he was banned for going around me when I played with them. He wasnt very happy but I was so mad at him I thought he owed me money. lol.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:45:57 PM by SkyCakes »

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anybody left that grew up with G1 ponies?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
I love your story Skycakes!  Thanks for sharing.

I grew up in the 80s but wasn't interested in ponies yet because the commercials were freaky and I was like Eeew, and I didn't know there was a cartoon or I would have gotten hooked then.  I really missed out.  I was more interested in playing with computers.

Dogs don't have pockets!  Poor chewed up ponies.  Wow Majesty had regrind when she was current?  I remember saving up for non-pony mail order stuff too and it didn't always arrive.  Ponies would have been a better investment.  i look forward to reading everyone else's pony stories in this thread.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 12:14:51 PM »
Yes, I did.

Me and my sister with our first ponies!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »
:) I grew up with G1 ponies and I'm lucky enough to still have my childhood collection :heart:

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline SkyCakes

• View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 01:18:38 PM »
Lostpony - thanks :) your stories funny. Yeah she was brand new but i remember one day looking like she had yellow highlighter marks on her. :/

Sunset - your lucky you have a pretty picture to remember playing with ponies I dont think I have any. :/

Pinkkittywinks - you are super lucky to have all yoru childhood collection. I only have 2.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »
My sister first got Apple Jack, a sea pony, and baby Moondancer.  That's how I first met and fell in love with ponies.  Then I got Windy and Pinwheel, then Paradise, Magic Star and some others.  But because I was a boy, I was made fun of and forced to get rid of them.  A few years later, I tried getting into ponies again.  I got three sweet berry ponies, Magic Hat, some others and I mailed off for and got mail order Star Hopper and Clipper.  But then again I was made to get rid of them.  Then in college I met baby Yo Yo, and it started all over a third time.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 01:50:09 PM »
Another old fart here. I do still have my childhood ponies, all 10 of them (and like 500+ more now...). I remember them in stores; I was obsessed with getting glittering gem. I just love the packaging on G1's.

Here's one of two childhood pictures I have in my possession. I liberated it as I wanted it with my collection. (The rest of my baby photos, who knows where they are if my dad kept them after my parents got divorced...) Best part is, I don't remember quackers, so I don't think this one was actually mine, I was very particular with my toys.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline northstar3184

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 01:54:28 PM »
I did. I was the only boy I knew who collected and played with ponies.

I got most of my herd second-hand so I didn't know about the early sets and didn't know the names of my early ponies who weren't featured in the cartoons.

With some of them I assumed they were ponies from the cartoons but for some unknown reason their symbols  were different. I remember wondering why my Posey had hearts (Peachy) and why my Gusty had flowers (Majesty).

I remember dad taking me to the toy store and buying me Sweet Notes. I remember my mom coming home one morning before I had preschool with two Magic Message ponies she'd gotten from a department store after work: Windy & Mirror Mirror.

I remember coming home from school one day and my parents giving me a bag with 4 ponies from the thrift store: Glory, August Poppy, Moonstone, and Sweet Stuff. Sweet Stuff instantly became my favorite, as she was the only TE pony I'd ever seen in person until a year ago. Morning Glory was my other favorite since she was the only flutter pony I'd ever seen in person.

It wasn't until adulthood (and the internet) that I discovered the hundreds of ponies I'd never seen before that point and that were such things as international exclusives.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:56:11 PM by northstar3184 »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 02:02:51 PM »
I did. :) My grandparents had a copy of My Little Pony/Rescue at Midnight Castle that I watched a lot when I went to visit with them. My first pony was Cotton Candy although I don't remember actually getting her. I do remember my grandma buying me the Birthday Party gift set and Sparkle pony Twinkler. Twinkler came with pony makeup and I used up a lot of it giving her lipstick. I have a few sea ponies but lost them all except Baby celebrate to the mold the monster because I played with them in the tub. 

I also had the Baby Bonnet School of Dance and the Lullaby Nursery. And a Dream Beauty. Sadly I let a few of my childhood ponies slip away when I went through my "never going to be in to ponies" stage and parted with my childhood Starshine, Dream Beauty, Pina Colada , Baby Palm Tree and got rid of my nursery patly because it had been broken in a car vs house accident.  I still regret getting rid of my nursery and of course when I got back in to ponies I wanted a Starshine, Baby Palm Tree and Pina Colada back. I have yet to replace them or the nursery. I still have my other childhood ponies except one (I bought a replacement for her though) and hope to one day replace the others.

I don't have any pictures of me playing with my ponies, but I do have a pic where I dressed up in a MLP costume complete with mask. Sadly I don't have that either. I do have home movies of getting 2 ponies for my birthday one year, Pina Colada and Starflash. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Juliepants

• Crazy Pony Lady
  • Trade Count: (+21)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »
Yes, me and my sister did. I still have all our childhood ponies (my sister donated hers to me).

Jules x

Offline northstar3184

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 02:23:22 PM »
My sister first got Apple Jack, a sea pony, and baby Moondancer.  That's how I first met and fell in love with ponies.  Then I got Windy and Pinwheel, then Paradise, Magic Star and some others.  But because I was a boy, I was made fun of and forced to get rid of them.  A few years later, I tried getting into ponies again.  I got three sweet berry ponies, Magic Hat, some others and I mailed off for and got mail order Star Hopper and Clipper.  But then again I was made to get rid of them.  Then in college I met baby Yo Yo, and it started all over a third time.

I can so relate! I went through the same kind of thing. My parents pushed for me to get rid of my ponies around age 7, only for me to buy more a couple years later. Then, 15+ years after getting rid of those I started my adult collection. You're not alone in having gone through that. :)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »
I've been around since the beginning.  My earliest ponies from years 1 through 3 were Peachy with Pretty Parlor, Blossom, Bubbles, Firefly, Sparkler, Sky Flier, Powder, Windy, Baby Moondancer, Baby Firefly, Sealight,  and Surf Rider. I was also around in the early days of the online community. I mostly lurked on the edges, but Sebby6 remembers me; we emailed and traded a lot.

It seems like so many of the oldschool collectors have left the hobby; it makes me kind of sad. I always enjoy these threads that reassure me there are still some other oldschoolers around.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 04:34:29 PM »
Totally did!

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline SkyCakes

• View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 04:37:42 PM »
It seems like so many of the oldschool collectors have left the hobby; it makes me kind of sad. I always enjoy these threads that reassure me there are still some other oldschoolers around.

I think its important to keep hope alive. I am sure there are more than this but we may not know it.

Offline archidraca

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Boy ponies, gotta catchem all! ^w^
    • View Profile
    • Ponies A'More - ponies, love, & more!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 04:46:37 PM »
I still have the Moondancer mum bought me because it came out the year I was born and was cute. The Nursery I had is lost in some vortex in my old bedroom but I managed to retain the vast majority of my childherd (still wondering where one of the merponies and two babies went...  :pout:) and have them mostly available for play if my Youngest wishes. Tux I got through mailorder as the only land adult male I had since I didn't since I never saw the commercials for the other menfolk and reigned supreme with Sprinkles and Glory. I had Drummer and Racer but couldn't convince a playfriend to trade several babies for Leaper. I did trade a Lemon Drop for a seapony baby (no float) so my trading skills weren't entirely bad.  :biggrin:
Creatively cute and proud of it!  Have a very good day, [you]!  ^.^

I'm making custom cute pony plushies and have set up an Etsy store called Ponies A'More! Ponies + More + LOVE! :heart: :inlove: :heart:
Finally got my SALES thread up and update it as I can.  :satisfied:
Lastly, posting my Wishlist here!  :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal