collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Plant Thread  (Read 18856 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: The Plant Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 07:50:47 AM »
I've had a stressful morning, plantwise. See trivial complaints for details, I won't bring this thread down with it here.

...Yesterday, though, I got my delphiniums in the garden (nervous for them give the fact they are slugprone but I've done my best), and also my corydalys, who should be flowering now but decided to get that annoyance over with between Feb and April instead and is now sitting like a lemon as though it doesn't know what to do with itself. But that's two more lots of plants off the patio and in their permanent homes.

The weather today has been erratic to say the least o.O.

My morning glories seem to be a lot too wet and they're not doing so well right now. Probably not helped by the downpour we just had, either.

I'm looking at Ben *hi ben* and wondering whether it's worth repotting him, although you'd need to get compost and things so maybe that's a lot of extra work. Whatever has eaten his leaf might have been long gone but it might be in his roots. When I planted out the delphiniums I had to remove about 10 baby slugs from their roots even though I check them pretty much daily :/

When I'm less cross, and it's less wet outside, I'll try and share some garden photos. In the meantime, this is the type of fuchsia that I have. It is not hardy to British winters, sadly, but it is a very pretty plant and it does do a lot of flowering.

https://fuchsiafinder.com/fuchsia/sabrina/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 10:44:47 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 10:11:20 AM »
Here is Ben. I'm worried about the stem that's turning brown/black. It has a cut/bite in it (not from me).

Hiii Ben! :D

BC - one thing you could try if you're worried about Ben's survival: cut off one or two of the strongest stems to propagate. I haven't had much luck keeping store-bought basil plants alive but propagating seems to be the best method. Works well for mint and lemon balm, too!

I don't have much of a green thumb, or maybe it's just that I lack the time and energy to take care of plants properly... Besides, there aren't too many species of house plants available that are not toxic to cats so we only have a couple of different ones, currently spider plants and spiderworts (Tradescantia). (What's with all the spiders? :P ) These are easy ones to take care of, even I can keep them alive. :lol:

I also buy some annual summer flowers every year, in addition to growing some herbs on the balcony. But it's usually a late start for me, I start thinking about these things in January/February but then March-April-May just fly by! This year I've been meaning to (!) sow basil seeds and  to buy some violets and I haven't managed either. I was also going to repot some of those house plants but... I guess it's not too late yet :lookround:

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 12:04:09 PM »
It looks like something is maybe eating Ben?  :huh: I second the advice to take cuttings now, from bits with stems still green. My basil plants are still tiny bt they now have secondary leaves and are starting to smell like basil. I have planted out a long list of vegetables this week, mostly under cage wire because we have a lot of pigeons:

Dwarf French beans, runner beans, mangetout, spring onions, green chard, spinach, mesclun, cherry tomatoes, salad tomatoes, courgette Piccolo. Only one pea plant germinated still I will find a branch for it to climb. I also have seedlings of sprouting broccoli, cabbages, two types of kale and some leeks to plant out later. I will grow more toms and two cayenne chili pepper plants in pots. OH hs put in our second early potatoes now. I put the first lot in two weeks ago.  A little late, but the weather was very dry so I can't see the harm in doing them now. Hopefully they get enough rain. I sowed winter squashes yesterday and I still have carrots and parsnips to sow, once I fill up my pipe planters. I was going to sow celeriac too but I think it's too late now. Also we ran out of space.

There is quite a lost of vegetables that my husband doesn't like and won't eat. Like beetroot, tomatoes and cauliflower. I can't live without tomatoes in the summer.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 02:02:36 PM »
There are quite a lot of guides online to taking basil cuttings and rooting them if you decide to go down that line. It's important where you cut the plant, so those might be helpful (it needs to be at a leaf node to give the plant the best chance).

Although a stem going brown is not necessarily a sign the plant is sick or dying, it is definitely something not to ignore. Plants are funny things, though. One of my delphiniums had a broken, split and brown rotten stem all last year, but it still managed to grow and flower from it after I stabilised it.

It looks like you have two stems wound together but they seem to have decent leaves growing on them.

I have just added 2 blue poppies to my plant family. I am not bad with plants, mostly, but I have not the best history with this kind of poppy. So fingers crossed. It was chucking it down with rain on and off today...again, without warning. I don't know what's going on but I'm fed up with emptying basket plant trays and removing slugs. (Where do they even come from? Is it raining slugs?! :P)

Spider plants are very easy to grow, for sure :D I have a couple of ooooold spiders who go outside every summer. I normally cut off their pup stems so they can't produce more plants, but last summer one accidentally rooted before I noticed it. So I took it in. Since October last year this spiderplant has gone from being really tiny to being a substantial adult plant taking over my windowsill. All I've done is pot it up and water it occasionally.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 02:04:38 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2022, 05:48:45 AM »
Ben isn't doing well :(

I read about propagating but I don't have any clear glasses I can use (the one in the background is the only one I have and it's for my daily SlimFast).

The soil is moist but not wet. Should I put him in direct sun for a while?

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2022, 05:58:44 AM »
BC! There is a caterpillar in that photograph! That's what's eating him!

I almost didn't see it but on the one branch on the left, it's under the leaf. A green caterpillar.

If you remove that, and check for any others, I think he'll do ok. There are young leaves coming from some of his leaf nodes, and he's mostly green still.

The branch it's on in the photo is in good shape. And if you remove the thing eating him, he'll probably grow new. He just can't grow quicker than he's being eaten.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 06:02:01 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2022, 08:42:45 AM »
OMG! You were right! I took it off and put it on the tree outside. I can't believe I didn't notice it. There doesn't seem to be any others.

You know, I thought the leaves were disappearing.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2022, 08:50:56 AM »
Yay! Hopefully Ben will do better now!

They hide so well. It was only that that branch looked healthy and I went back to your photo to try and figure out right from left when I saw it and went...OH.

We have those appear on the broccoli here, and you can't see them to begin with, and then suddenly they're there and the broccoli isn't. They're so good at hiding.

What normally happens with a plant when it loses its leaves, if it's doing ok, it will try and put new leaf buds out at the point below where it lost the leaves. I can see Ben doing that on the left branch, he has a lot of young leaves there. Hopefully you'll see it on the damaged middle stem as well, but if that goes brown and wilts, I would take it off. If it stays green, it's probably ok and may put out new growth.

He also might put new leaves out from the bottom.

On your other question, with the sunlight, it depends how hot it is coming in through your window? Plants can burn in direct sunlight when it's really hot, even here in the UK. So you might want to avoid the hottest time of the day if you do it. Or put him on your balcony in the shade, so he can get some air and light but not be too cooked.

...Hopefully he won't make any more wriggly green friends.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 08:55:00 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2022, 09:48:25 AM »
Reading about everyone's plants makes me want to plant something too. :D  I have a strawberry plant kit a friend gave me for my birthday a couple of years ago. but I never planted it.  I don't know if it would even survive if it did.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2022, 09:58:51 AM »
We spent a lot of time outside this afternoon planting mum's tub, my hanging basket and another couple of tubs. I think they'll look pretty when they've grown a bit. I had to untangle the climbing plants from one another again, but now they're tied to the frame they will hopefully go up it.

...It was warm this afternoon, but I feel like we got a lot done.

It feels odd though, not having the petunias on the windowsill any more. I've watched them grow from tiny things to sprawling red flowered adolescents. I feel like I left them out in the wilds now xD. But their flowers have been facing the window the whole time, so I hope they're happy now they're finally out there.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 04:18:22 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2022, 06:45:16 AM »
Good eye @Taffeta. I had to zoom in and stare at the photo for like 5 minutes and I audibly gasped when i saw the caterpillar. Hopefully Ben will perk up now :)
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2022, 06:56:35 AM »
On your other question, with the sunlight, it depends how hot it is coming in through your window? Plants can burn in direct sunlight when it's really hot, even here in the UK. So you might want to avoid the hottest time of the day if you do it. Or put him on your balcony in the shade, so he can get some air and light but not be too cooked.

The sun comes in two windows, one in the morning and one in the evening. The morning sun is a lot less dangerous, so I put him in that window. Hopefully he perks up. Should a cut off the dead/eaten leaves? Also, this is suspicious, I think there is more soil on the counter than there was before. Could there be something in the soil too?

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2022, 08:50:32 AM »
It's possible...

If you have/are able obtain a fresh pot and some compost (I know both can be ordered online here, I don't know about your options with stuff like that and whether you already have some to hand) it might be worth repotting, checking the roots for any slugs or anything like that that might be in there.

...Although disturbing the roots too much might upset the plant, often slugs and stuff live between the pot and the soil. And even taking it out of its existing pot, having a look and putting it back carefully might help.

A new pot and new soil would help encourage new growth though so it depends on what is possible.

I would leave the stems that have been eaten unless they wilt or go brown. Just in case new leaves grow from the nodes that are left. But if you feel they are already beyond hope it's up to you. He's right in front of you so you can tell better than we can from pictures.

The leaves themselves, its up to you, but taking them off may damage the node underneath if something is trying to grow there. So maybe leave it a few days to see if anything starts growing between the stem and the remains of the old leaf before removing the mess.

And that's just my advice, other people may have different experience.

My spider plants are outside now with everyone else. The baby one that rooted by accident last summer is already pestering all the plants around her with her leaves. Plants sometimes have personalities, for sure. This one, whenever I had plants on my windowsill, I'd move her leaves away from the other plants and in the morning, she'd have her leaves back in their pots again like she was saying hi. So now she's saying hi to the garden plants instead. There are no plants on my windowsill any more.

My room now only has my cranky seven year old Poinsettia who thinks my bedside cabinet belongs to her, my rescue cactus, my spiky succulent and me.

As I mentioned in the trivial complaints thread, my dragon tree, Nik got nibbled last night. He was a birthday present 2 years ago to replace a much loved rescued dragon tree that I took on after my library closed in 2011. That dragon tree my colleague and I named Nathaniel, and he almost certainly died of old age. So his successor also has an N name - Nikolai. Nik for short. In any case, Nik has had absolutely zero trauma in all the time he has lived here. Until last night, when he got nibbled. I HOPE we caught the culprit, but it's taken chunks out of some of his lower leaves and damaged one of his three new spikes of growth. It will take him a while to grow it out. Still, if we DID get the culprit, hopefully we've resolved the issue before things get worse. I will be watching him very carefully for the next few days, as this was a significant assault in one night.

It was Dad who spotted it, so he's redeemed himself from the fuchsia incident.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:56:10 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2022, 09:28:29 AM »
Yeah, I want to get some planters and soil. I've been looking around online.

I'll leave the leaves alone for now.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2022, 04:04:06 PM »
Anyone know anything about Venus Fly Traps?

I *think* mine is dormant (read, the leaves and traps are brown, the traps aren't red inside and not "active"), but I had been watering it with tap water (didn't know any better) but I have now switched to deionised water, which is meant to be ok for them. I am wondering it sticking it out when it rains might be ok? I read rainwater is best.

It did flower at Christmas and has been in decline since then.

Love pkw xxx

ETA OMG the caterpillar! Talk about caught in the act!!  :slug:
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal