collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To seal or not to seal?  (Read 441 times)

Offline Lucky Pony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
  • Is a Gazelle?
    • View Profile
To seal or not to seal?
« on: April 24, 2022, 09:05:13 AM »
So I have slowly been trying to restore some sad G1s and I decided to re-paint Peachy's extremely faded and rubbed away symbols.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I used basic watered down liquitex paint and was surprised to see that it dried to a semi-gloss.

Now the question is- do I need to seal the paint with a varnish? I picked up the liquitex satin varnish because I was expecting the paint to dry matte so I have it available. If I varnish- is it reccommended to water the varnish down too?

Thanks for the advice! :blush:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 09:11:08 AM by Lucky Pony »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: To seal or not to seal?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 09:19:45 AM »
You can leave it as is, but be warned that it may chip. I would probably seal it personally.

I don't water down my sealants but I may be evil. >:3

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Lucky Pony

• Bratz Pony
  • Is a Gazelle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 02:29:39 PM »
Hrm I tried applying the varnish without thinning it and it was really goopy and my brush strokes were super visible. I thinned it with water (even though it says not to on the bottle) and it turned out great. Anyone else try this or is something terrible going to happen by thinning the varnish?

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 09:07:25 PM »
You should be alright, I do hear of other people thinning varnish out.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 05:01:48 AM »
I have thinned out varnish before, in fact it was Liquitex (I don't use it anymore). You should be fine :)

My personal opinion on sealing is if you think it will be affected by the weather (heat and humidity mainly) or you have pets that shed a lot then you should not seal. A collection pony is mostly going to sit on display and not be handled, so chances of something happening to the paint are minimal.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Lucky Pony

• Bratz Pony
  • Is a Gazelle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 06:14:25 PM »
Phew thanks so much for the input Tailrustedleaf and Black Curtains! I will post updated pics when she's dry~!
Now, do either of you have any tricks on fighting PVC age spots? I have a gorgeous Big Brother Chief that has some pretty noticeable dark spots. Oxyclean soak didn't work. Tried a day of sunfading with 40 volume developer with no result either and scared to do more... :(

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 05:50:56 AM »
Chief is notorious for age spots. Aside from what you've already tried, the only thing I can think is to poke a pin in the center of each age mark and drip some bleach on it.

Also, a day might not have been long enough for the sunfade. I used to live in Wisconsin and the sun there is not very strong. You'll probably need a few weeks at least.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2022, 07:22:45 AM »
If you do sunfade Chief, keep a good eye on him. Rotate regularly. Age spots = plastic isn't as stable as it was. There's always that fear that burning may occur on any white pony. I've had ponies that took over a year to sun fade and others only a few days (though in the  middle of summer). I throw ponies in a box lined with tinfoil to attempt to get the undersides a bit better. Good luck fellow Wisconsinite.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2022, 11:40:02 AM »
I think she looks just great, I tend to pick ponies up rarely or by the root of the tail so I would leave her as-is.

Post Merge: April 28, 2022, 11:51:13 AM

Phew thanks so much for the input Tailrustedleaf and Black Curtains! I will post updated pics when she's dry~!
Now, do either of you have any tricks on fighting PVC age spots? I have a gorgeous Big Brother Chief that has some pretty noticeable dark spots. Oxyclean soak didn't work. Tried a day of sunfading with 40 volume developer with no result either and scared to do more... :(

Unfortunately I've not discovered anything that can reverse the problem, as mlp4me said it's caused by the plastic being less stable over time. Good storage conditions can really help though. Have you taken the head off and made sure the inside is totally dry? I have some with a spot or two that I cleaned and dried 6 years ago and then they stayed the same since. On one or two ponies I've painted over the spots and found it worked quite well. But I guess if the age spots start progressing again then it might peel. If a pony gets age spots I tend to keep them away from the others, I'm not entirely sure whether the offgassing that goes with plastic breakdown can cause a reaction in nearby plastic. Sorry it's not all that cheerful. But if like me you restore then you might be OK with trying to paint over. I made a few customs with 'tatoos' based on their theme, basically a bit random just to cover age spots. Sprinkles has a few soap bubbles and I also boil-permed her hair. I won't upgrade her, I'm fine with her like that.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 11:52:10 AM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Lucky Pony

• Bratz Pony
  • Is a Gazelle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2022, 07:24:54 AM »
Update!
Peachy is just about finished (she has a few hearts that I still have to varnish and her hair needs to be re-tamed). Here is her update photos:

The satin varnish came out a little more shiney than I would like but it's application was pretty good once it was watered down.

And Cheif has been getting some attention too! Thanks to everyone who had suggestions. I decided to put him in a UV chamber (ie- UV nail lamp with tinfoil curtains) for a couple minute increments and he is lightening! The age spots are a bit less noticeable. I am going to work on lightening his noggin today. You can see the progress I made on his body compared to his head:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 07:42:22 AM »
Good work!