collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you decide what to add to your collection?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do you decide what to add to your collection?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2022, 02:13:45 PM »
I was only two when I got my first pony so at that age it was literally whoever was gifted to me.  My mom hated (and yet got a kick out of) a lot of the ponies with scents so I managed to usually get complete sets of anything that was scented lol.  Whenever G1 MLP ended, I was old enough to kind of buy things on my own…a bit. So I tried to buy as much of Year 10 as I could (and I think I got them all thankfully except for a few of the teeny tiny ponies…at least, back then).  Whenever the internet entered my house in 1997/1998, I found there were other collectors like me—-and that *gasp* they would SELL ponies to me!  :)

The early internet years I focused on any ponies that I always really wanted and ponies that were featured in the TV shows and movies that I didn’t already have.

Then—-as was always my TRUE intent—it became a “I need every US pony.”  Years later I was able to check that off the list. 

Now it has just become picking up international ponies that I enjoy (even though I go through phases of “I need all of xyz country.” ).

I have a bad “completionist” mindset sometimes lol

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2022, 07:44:18 AM »
It's been awhile since I've added anything to my collection.

When I first started, I decided I would get the "classic" ponies; the ones from years 1-3. I got a good amount of them. The only ones I don't have are Butterscotch, Minty, Snuzzle, Applejack, Bubbles, Lemon Drop, Peachy, Sprinkles, Pinwheel, Starflower, Flutterbye, and Trickles. A few of them, I would still love to have (like Bubbles, Pinwheel, and Trickles), but most of the others, I'm okay if I don't get them. Honestly, I want to get the ponies that I like; I'm not going to worry about completing a collection or anything. Right now I would love to have Quackers and Crumpet and I realize they're more expensive than any of the year 1-3 ponies, so I think I'm going to save up my money so I can (hopefully!) get those two ponies in nice condition.

Offline Lady Twilight

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2022, 07:49:40 AM »
When I started collecting, I wanted to get "everything" - all the ponies, all the accessories, all of them MIP. LOL. I quickly realized this was a bad idea, and over time, I've gotten more and more picky about the pony stuff I keep. I've taken on a "decluttering" attitude where I only keep things that "give me joy." So if I don't really love a pony or accessory, I don't keep it. Of course, I still have lots of pony things because ponies make me happy. :)  I just don't worry like I used to about having to get complete sets of everything.
“All the pink in the world can’t disguise the irrefutable fact that CASTLES and CENTAURS and DRAGONS and MAGIC are all standard NERD TROPES – ergo, My Little Pony is NERDY – ergo, YOU, ERICA, are a NERD.” - Dustin, Stranger Things

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2022, 08:05:50 AM »
So my biggest goal is to collect all the male ponies, which means when I'm shopping for specific ponies online or at meets, I'm usually just trying to find reasonably-priced boy ponies that I'm missing. But I am a super, super un-picky collector in general, so when I'm hunting for ponies in the wild, I tend to just pick up anything pony-related I find if I don't already have it. I never pass up reasonably-priced G1s or G2s though, since it's a lot rarer to find them in the wild these days, so I sometimes end up with extras to trade.

In the rare cases that I find too many ponies to actually feasibly purchase all of them, I usually just go with the ones I like the designs of most!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2022, 12:46:45 PM »
I'm fascinated to read all the different philosophies!

When I first started collecting, my choices were based on nostalgia only. I was only trying to either replace ponies that my siblings or I had and loved as children, or acquire ones that I always wanted as a child but never got ('cuz I'm a grown-up and I CAN!!)

But as I immersed myself more into the pony world, I started wanting more, and finding beauty in the later pony sets that I was previously not interested in because they were released after I aged out of ponies as a child, so I started collecting those too.

Yas! I'm a grown up and if I want the beautiful MLP collection I can make it happen. I think it's great. I think the latest ponies that were in our family were Galaxy and Honeycomb. So I HAD to find those because I loved those bright colours. And everything up until then. But then I did find beauty in some of the later ones too. I have to say I'm more attracted to those with simple designs though.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2022, 08:20:29 PM »
I have a fairly large collection with limited space, somI don’t often have a set want list or seek out ponies. I more so just keep my eye out at thrift store and antique stores to see if there is anyone I don’t have yet at an affordable price. Sometimes I like to search for customs on eBay and splurge on one of them every now and then! :) Since I have most of the common ponies in my collection customs have been a good way to get something new without emptying out my bank account. :P

I’ve also started to sort of seek out fakies! I’ve found a lot of them are cute too and are affordable.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2022, 02:13:20 AM »
I have a fairly large collection with limited space, somI don’t often have a set want list or seek out ponies. I more so just keep my eye out at thrift store and antique stores to see if there is anyone I don’t have yet at an affordable price. Sometimes I like to search for customs on eBay and splurge on one of them every now and then! :) Since I have most of the common ponies in my collection customs have been a good way to get something new without emptying out my bank account. :P

I’ve also started to sort of seek out fakies! I’ve found a lot of them are cute too and are affordable.

I've never found a G1 pony in the wild but I'm hoping! I got a few fakies too, it's funny how they become familiar...

I love the random teasel cutie mark on the yellow one. Botanicals are right up my street.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Starflashbaby

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • When life throws you bricks, build a Castle!
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2022, 02:22:38 PM »
I usually pic what I want or interested at the time its pretty random lots of searching and window Shopping per say... lots of websites to brows threw. soo then what ever is the cheapest deal. now I rely on people who can do big orders with payments (they make my dreams come true) I got Night glider this way.
Or I'll go through my list of ponies that I still need and I'll start with the oldest pony and go down the list that way. I got My Year 1 Complete but year 2 is missing Twilight right now so that's what I'll be buying next besides Medley Retro pony, she will come before Twilight because I have Basic fun almost complete I just need Medley and Majesty Who I'll Never get... but I Can Dream...
So all in all its a mix of things... if basic fun comes out with new ponies they take first place in my wants then the pony that's in my USA Lists then it will be International ponies and so on so forth.

Sales, WTB, Commissions Open

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2022, 01:04:27 AM »
I know it's not logical, but I had to find some way to slow myself down, so now I try to buy ponies when I find them at good prices. :P When I first started, in high school or so, I wanted only to 'replace ponies that I wanted in my childhood herd'; I very quickly realized I wanted them all, and went a bit ham with buying ponies in lots off eBay! (Can't say I regret it, LMAO!)

But in order to keep SOME of my sanity (what little bits remain?! :P), I now try to focus on the ponies that will be harder to find at that price again; so for right now, a lot of that is the newest G4/5 ponies, since when am I ever going to find them at-cost in store again? And even then, I try to wait for sales or coupons. (Target is very good about post-Christmas sales and occasional toy coupons, like 'spend $50 save $10' and the like!) And I'll scroll through the Arena, or eBay, just in case I see a pony from my wantlist hiding in a lot, or for a good price!

Sometimes, I see a pony on auction, or a friend posts a beautiful picture of their find, and I think '... I MUST have her!' and I go on a bit of a hunt! :lmao: There's a lovely gal on Instagram who posts 'Star Hopper Saturdays', and she's single-handedly making me want an upgrade for my Star Hopper! :lmao:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2022, 08:55:18 AM »
I decide which ponies I want through just... looking at fansites and such. POTD threads introduce me to a lot of G3s or remind me of ponies I may have overlooked in the past. I haven't gone after a lot of older ponies for a while though; since I've been focusing on other collections recently, my pony collecting has mostly been limited to stuff that's on the shelves, since it's easier to get those when I can rather than try and hunt them down later. So G4/G4.5/G5, the retro Funko POPs, etc. Also HQG1C.

The last few G1-G3s I bought (well actually just G1, honestly can't remember the last time I bought a G2 or G3... :blush:) have been ones where something's reminded me of them and made me go "OMG I need them now!!" and bumped them to the top of my priority list. I.e. I realized HQG1C High Hopes would be the perfect mum for Baby Moondream, so I rushed off to find a good Moondream on eBay.

Hmm, reading through this thread and looking through my collection spreadsheet has really made me realize how long it's been since I've bought any pre-G4 ponies... must rectify that!

Offline sweetstuff85

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2022, 10:29:06 PM »
Trying to buy what I had as a kid and then buying all the things I drooled over in the pony pamphlets when I was little. Plus I really want all the ponies from the original TV show and movie.

I started recollecting again when my niece was born and bought so much stuff for her, and then I realized I just wanted to collect too. So, I’ve needed to buy a lot it twice, some of my nieces stuff is in better condition than my version. Lol.

I’m trying to complete a lot of the sets I only had maybe 1 or 2 of as a kid, as I always think they look so much better all together.

I’m waiting on lots of pony mail right now to complete many of my sets. I’ve really blew a lot of money this year on pony.

Whoopsies! :)

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2022, 11:34:42 AM »
Trying to buy what I had as a kid and then buying all the things I drooled over in the pony pamphlets when I was little. Plus I really want all the ponies from the original TV show and movie.

I started recollecting again when my niece was born and bought so much stuff for her, and then I realized I just wanted to collect too. So, I’ve needed to buy a lot it twice, some of my nieces stuff is in better condition than my version. Lol.

I’m trying to complete a lot of the sets I only had maybe 1 or 2 of as a kid, as I always think they look so much better all together.

I’m waiting on lots of pony mail right now to complete many of my sets. I’ve really blew a lot of money this year on pony.

Whoopsies! :)

I loved the pamphlets too, I had to collect some! It's so easily done  ;) ;) ;)

Offline DracoKat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2022, 06:39:02 AM »
Since I've recently picked up my G1 collection and found my bin of childhood ponies, I realized many are missing. Im not sure if my parents tossed them, if its still in their attic or my nieces stole them.

So I've decided to try to find and purchase those ponies I've had as a kid first. There's about 15 missing ones, give or take. Sometimes I'd find them in a lot with other ponies, and I'd buy them all anyway since they were bonuses for me.

I think once I get those missing childhood ponies back, I'll decide if I want to continue to collect more or enjoy what I have since it's really all the nostalgia factor for me right now.

Offline sentimental

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
  • stuck in a utopia of sentimental androids !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2022, 12:20:02 PM »
I very much just go for ponies I love the colors and symbols of for my G3s, since the generation is just so massive!
So symbols and colors that are interesting or more uncommon to see, brighter colors maybe? I love the red ponies!

For G1, I made it a personal goal to own every single sweetheart sister molded pony as they're my favorite mold of all generations,
and I only have a few left to go (if anyone has a Flowerburst, Frilly Flower or Pretty Belle they're looking to get rid of lmk!  :P)
However I love a lot of G1 colors so I usually go for any I see for reasonable prices, which is getting harder to find these days.

For G2, just any more affordable girls that don't have weird movement mechanisms (like the neck or back legs), I love the G2 molds
and the sparkly eyes but the gimmicks really ruin a lot of the ponies for me!

If I grab anything G4, which I usually just don't do, it'll be stuff that's rare or non-mainline ponies in brushable forms. But I don't seek them
out at all really.

In general however I prefer and go for loose ponies, I don't want to open a box and ruin a pony's "mint" collector condition but I do not appreciate or
love MIB ponies as much as my loose girlies with mild defects or staining. All my MIB were birthday gifts from my childhood my mother hid and forgot
to give to me, so now in my collector years I feel bad opening them, LOL!  :blush:
please call me senti! ♡ my instagrammy g3 wishlistsig artwork by me

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2022, 07:04:31 AM »
Since I've recently picked up my G1 collection and found my bin of childhood ponies, I realized many are missing. Im not sure if my parents tossed them, if its still in their attic or my nieces stole them.

So I've decided to try to find and purchase those ponies I've had as a kid first. There's about 15 missing ones, give or take. Sometimes I'd find them in a lot with other ponies, and I'd buy them all anyway since they were bonuses for me.

I think once I get those missing childhood ponies back, I'll decide if I want to continue to collect more or enjoy what I have since it's really all the nostalgia factor for me right now.

My Mum gave a way a load of mine, but as adults my sister shared some of hers with me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal