collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Who are your TWELVE favorite So Soft ponies?

Angel
21 (6.2%)
Bangles
8 (2.4%)
Best Wishes
5 (1.5%)
Bouncy
10 (3%)
Buttons
9 (2.7%)
Cherries Jubilee
5 (1.5%)
Crumpet
20 (5.9%)
Cupcake
10 (3%)
Fifi
12 (3.6%)
Gusty
10 (3%)
Heart Throb
4 (1.2%)
Hippity Hop
9 (2.7%)
Lickety-Split
5 (1.5%)
Lofty
13 (3.8%)
Magic Star
15 (4.4%)
North Star
10 (3%)
Paradise
25 (7.4%)
Posey
9 (2.7%)
Ribbon
15 (4.4%)
Scrumptious
14 (4.1%)
Shady
7 (2.1%)
Skippity Doo
11 (3.3%)
Sundance
5 (1.5%)
Surprise
7 (2.1%)
Taffy
8 (2.4%)
Truly
12 (3.6%)
Twilight
23 (6.8%)
Twist
15 (4.4%)
Wind Whistler
21 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: My TWELVE favorite So Softs!  (Read 441 times)

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
My TWELVE favorite So Softs!
« on: April 14, 2022, 02:53:38 PM »
When it comes to G1 ponies, So Softs probably aren’t at the top of anyone’s list. And I get it: they’re hard to find in good condition. If you can find a So Soft in good condition these days, consider yourself lucky. I understand why people de-flock their So Softs; however I’m not a fan of de-flocking a So Soft that’s in good condition.  All my childhood So Softs have seen much better days. I had seven So Softs, more than any other type of pony (save for “original” year 2 and 3 ponies), so a good percentage of them did make up my childhood herd. Also, I don’t think any type of pony has more than So Softs! There are twenty-nine So Softs! That’s a lot! If only there had been 29 Twinkle Eyes! Of course, seven of them are original ponies they turned into So Softs. Since there are so many, I’m going to list my TWELVE favorites:

1. Surprise - I have to put SS Surprise as my #1. Being one of my childhood ponies, she’s a very special pony to me. I received her for my sixth birthday (along with Fizzy who is my favorite pony of all time). Being named “Surprise” and having balloons for her symbols, I’m sure my mom thought she was the perfect pony to give me for my birthday!  I can’t think of any other pony that has that neon yellow color for their hair. Unfortunately, my Surprise isn’t in the best condition since I decided she needed a bath in the Waterfall play set and she was never the same after that! Even though I do like the “Surprise” pose, it doesn’t really go with her personality we know from the animated series. I know Pinkie Pie was modeled after her, but I think PP is much annoying, though it has been awhile since I’ve watched animated Surprise, so she could be just as annoying! But when it comes to SS Surprise, I absolutely love her.

2. Crumpet - While the majority of So Softs comes from Year 4, the few that came from Year 5 are some of my favorites and Crumpet is no exception. Her buttery-caramel colored mane and tail look gorgeous with her yellow body and her teapot and teacup symbols are absolutely adorable. The fact that there are hearts on the teapot and teacup make it even more precious. I have a teapot calendar and I love it even though, ironically, I don’t drink tea. I just love Crumpet’s whole aesthetic.

3. Lofty - Another one of my childhood ponies, though I don’t remember when/where/what reason I received her. I’m guessing she was a Christmas present. Or a birthday gift. Those were pretty much the main times I ever got ponies! I love Lofty’s monochromatic look and she has a hot air balloon for a symbol! While I do love Surprises’ balloons, there are other ponies with balloons and I can’t think of another pony (except for Baby Lofty) who has a hot air balloon for their symbol (I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong!).

4. Angel - Another Year 5 So Soft, Angel is a fun pony. With her green-blue body, it looks like the three angelfish are swimming through the ocean. I also like how if she’s a pony you’re not familiar with, you might think symbol is a halo or something, but then you see the angelfish and you’re like, Oh, of course!

5. Bangles - Yet another Year 5  So Soft pony and the only one I had in my childhood herd. She’s also the only pony I had in the Mimic pose, which is my favorite unicorn pose (or at least one of them….there are a few unicorn poses I quite like). I like her pink heart and pearl necklace with the heart pendant for her symbol. (Although, when I think of bangles, I think of bracelets…or the ‘80s pop group that sings “Eternal Flame” and “Manic Monday”!).

6. Buttons - I feel like if I have Bangles at #5, Buttons should be my next one. Besides their pose and symbols, they are the exact same pony! I don’t know why they made them look so similar! Even both their names are two syllables and start with the same letter. Bangles and Buttons look and sound like they could be sisters and since I owned both of them, that’s exactly what they were when I played with them.

7. Wind Whistler - Even though it’s been a minute since I’ve seen any episodes of the animated TV show, I remember Wind Whistler being a pretty major character, so even though she (alas) wasn’t in my childhood herd, I do have fond memories of her. I like her blue and pink color combination. One thing I would change about her would be her whistle symbols. Just because her name is “Wind Whistler” (which I think is a great name), I don’t think she needs literal whistles as symbols. I think it should have been swirls to depict wind or birds (in fact, for the longest time, I always just assumed her symbols were birds!)

8. Truly - I think the dove symbol is done better on Truly than it was done on Pony Bride. (In fact, Argentinian Truly kinda has Pony Bride vibes…she isn’t flocked and is all white). I’ve always loved the rearing pose and wished they had done it on more ponies. I never had a rearing pony, so for all I know it could have been a pain to have one, especially if the little stand it came with broke. White is my favorite color for ponies because they (usually) look good with any hair color and Truly is no exception with her dark pink hair. She is truly an amazing pony - aha, see what I did there?  :lol:

9. Magic Star - I love the rearing pose so much, I had to put another pony in that pose on the list! Yellow and green is one of my favorite color combinations for a pony, so another reason why this earth pony made my list.

10. Paradise - One of my childhood ponies; I got her for Easter. (I only remember this because there’s photographic proof!) I’m pretty sure my parents got her for me because she had red hair like me…of course, hers was much more vivid! Naturally, I made Paradise the proprietor or the Paradise Estate. I love her palm tree and moon symbols. It’s very serene, also reminds of the South Carolina state flag!

11. Twilight - Twilight may have the same name as another (much more popular!) pony, her pose may not be my favorite (though I am coming around to it), and her purple and pink color combination may be generic and overused, but all that said, she is on this list because I love her flickering candle in a candle holder symbol. And I actually don’t mind her color combination that much; it is pretty even though those colors can be a bit overused on ponies.

12. Fifi - I think Fifi is really cute with her poodle symbols and I like her shade of blue. I think this Fifi’s name fits her better than the TAF Perm Shoppe Fifi.

Who are your twelve favorite So Soft ponies?

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: My TWELVE favorite So Softs!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 03:17:07 PM »
I love so soft ponies.  My favorites are ones with their heads more forward than turned.

Magic Star  My very first so-soft.  I love her colors, pose and symbol.

Cupcake  I hate this pose, but her colors override everything.  Mine seems especially cuddly.  I wish I was five so I could carry her around everywhere.

Bouncy Her colors and pose are great.  I love how she looks like she's flying.

----------
The following are honorable mentions.  They have no particular order.

Twist I think her colors are interesting.

Buttons  She's nice.  I wish her hair wasn't curly.  My favorite part about her is her name.  :P

Scrumptious Mine is so yellow she looks like Magic Star.  She's pretty in both shades.

Cherries Jubilee  I like how she looks as a so soft.

Wind Whistler Blue pony in a great pose.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 03:24:58 PM »
So-Softs are a very popular set. Even if they're hard to care for. Idk where this idea comes from that hardly anyone likes them.

In alphabetical order:
Angel
Gusty
Lofty
Magic Star
Paradise
Ribbon
Scrumptious
Shady
Sundance
Twilight
Twist
Wind Whistler

Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 05:01:21 PM »
Mine are Cherries Jubilee, Cupcake, Heart Throb, Lickety-Split, Lofty, Magic Star, North Star, Paradise, Posey, Ribbon, Shady, Sundance, Surprise, Twilight, Wind Whistler
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 07:04:32 PM »
In alphabetical order:

Buttons
Crumpet
Fifi
Gusty
Lofty
Magic Star
North Star
Posey
Sundance
Truly
Twilight
Wind Whistler
:cold:

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 07:40:32 PM »
It's so hard to vote, I love them all!  Paradise and Magic Star were two I had as a child.  I drew, with colored chalk, my own version of ponyland on a large piece of cardboard.  Like a map or play mat.  Can you imagine what a white Paradise looked like after scampering around on chalk dust?

It was mentioned above that Bangles and Buttons could be sisters and I've posted this before,but I want share again:

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 11:05:19 PM »
If a Pony was available without flocking in the UK or US, I don't class her as So-Soft. This includes Movie Stars as well as Ponies who were available in the US with & without flocking. So my twelve include none of those, however, Cupcake is on my list of 12

Alphabetical order:
Angel. The last set of So Softs are the best in terms of flocking, as well as design. Angel's colouring is very aquatic, going with her angelfish symbol perfectly
Best Wishes. She's a really bright Pony & I love her. She also comes in a set I wish we had, only with our own Tutti Frutti added in
Bouncy. Baby Bouncy the FT was in my old collection & getting her back was wonderful. I gave her such a vibrant personality; she was full of beans, which is why she bounced all the time. Finding her mother existed was a lot like finding Baby Hopscotch for me
Crumpet. Despite the less innocent connotations of her name, she's a beautiful yellow Pony & also has an FT Baby of her own yaiy!!! Crumpets are a baked good here & the Pony herself is adorable, as well as being in Angel's set
Cupcake. As I said above, she's included here. She featured in our comics a lot, though the UK never actually had her, & that makes her iconic to us. She & Truly were available unflocked in Scandinavia if I recall, but are htf, so most people have her flocked. Her colours are lovely too
Fifi. Another FT Baby I had in the original collection who later gained her mother, Baby Fifi was a favourite. Blue, with cute poodles as her symbol, & I'm glad she has her mother now
Lofty. Another iconic character from comics, & books, in the UK we never got as a toy, so another I had to get when back into collecting. She keeps her cartoon, & story, ability to fly higher than any other Pony
Paradise. Taffeta has said MORE than enough on Paradise as it is, so I need not add to this. I love her vivid hair & her tropical symbol, & she's a fave for that as well as Taffeta's reasons
Ribbon. Come ON!!! We had a Baby Ribbon in the UK but not her mother, again??? I love her bright colours so much, & she's blue
Taffy. Another of Angel's set, & though I had (maybe still have) no idea what kind of confection taffy is, I love her pose & colours
Twilight. My ONLY issue with this Pony is her repeat name. Candle??? IDK. Anyway, another of Angel's set with soft colours & adorable
Twist. I LOVE her bright colours & the fact she's so unique, plus the first Pony with a savoury snack on her!!! Where are the Ponies celebrating crisps/ packet chips, & fries/ hot chips, among others??? Anyway, that's the list complete for me
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 11:11:39 PM by Ponybookworm »
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline SubmarineHallucination

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Nothing is Astuter than a computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 11:30:57 AM »
LOFTY I LOVE LOFTY SO MUUUUUUUCH
I love her monochrome color scheme, I love her cute symbol, I love that she's a pegasus, I want an army of Lofty. I love her so muuuuuuch!!

I also love Truly, Bangles, Fifi, Twilight, Crumpet, Paradise, North Star, and Buttons a lot.
Everybody needs a friend!
ISO Sweet Stuff and Honeycomb!

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 08:00:45 AM »
In no particular order, I picked:
Angel
Gusty
Surprise
Shady
Twilight
Skippety Doo
Cupcake
Twist
Scrumptious
Wind Whistler
Ribbon
Cherries Jubilee

But I like many of the others too. We only had 3 So-Softs when I was growing up--Shady, Sundance and Best Wishes. They weren't our favorites, and we always pretended they were elderly ponies because they looked old and grizzled to us. We even had a dedicated playset for them: the pony old-folks home, made out of an ice cream parlor playset from another toy line.

Offline FernMariposa919

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 01:07:44 PM »
Thank you to everyone who participated in my poll. I didn’t get as many people voting in this one as I did with my Twinkle Eyes or TAFs poll! (Twice as many people voted in those polls than this one). I don’t know if this is a correlation to people just liking those ponies more than So Softs. Here is an unofficial ranking of the So Soft ponies according to the poll:

1. Paradise
2. Twilight
3. Angel
4. Wind Whistler
5. Crumpet
6. Magic Star
7. Ribbon and Twist (tie)
9. Scrumptious
10. Fifi and Truly (tie)
12. Gusty and Lofty (tie)
14. Bouncy and Cupcake (tie)
16. Buttons//Posey//Skippity Doo (3-way tie)
19. Bangles//Hippity Hop//North Star//Shady (4-way tie!)
23. Taffy
24. Sundance//Surprise//Cherries Jubilee//Lickety-Split (4-way tie)
28. Heart Throb and Best Wishes (tie)

A few observations:
-As you can see, there were many ties! Though this isn't too surprising since there were so many to choose from and I gave everyone the option to vote for 12 ponies.
-This is the first time where my favorite pony of a certain set is at the bottom of the pack (Surprise) instead of in the top three.
-Speaking of Surprise, it doesn't surprise me the original ponies they made into So Softs are closer to the bottom. I'm guessing this is because people prefer them in their original form are just prefer the So Softs that are new. SS Gusty is the highest ranked "original" pony at 12.
-I hadn't really thought who would be #1, but it didn't occur to me that it would be Paradise! I guess I would have guessed Wind Whistler. At #4, she's still pretty high, but still thought she would have been higher. I was also surprised to see Twilight so high at #2, even though I know she's a popular pony. I thought she would be in the top ten, but just not that high.
-I'm kinda sad that Lofty and Buttons are lower on the list, but I do have a soft spot (no pun intended  :lol: ) for them because they are childhood ponies.

It was mentioned above that Bangles and Buttons could be sisters and I've posted this before,but I want share again:

Oh, I've seen that before (here, of course!) That is really cute. I can't think of any other ponies that are so similar...well, maybe Bow Tie and Squeezer (both blue with pink hair and same pose) or Bouncy and Tall Tales (both yellow with blue hair and same pose), but even then, their names don't go together like Buttons and Bangles!

We only had 3 So-Softs when I was growing up--Shady, Sundance and Best Wishes. They weren't our favorites, and we always pretended they were elderly ponies because they looked old and grizzled to us. We even had a dedicated playset for them: the pony old-folks home, made out of an ice cream parlor playset from another toy line.

Oh my gosh, I love that you had your So Softs as the "old folks" of your pony herd. That is so cute and so hilarious!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 02:08:32 PM by FernMariposa919 »

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2022, 08:08:24 PM »
bangles - got her somewhere special im thankful she has nice flocking

crumpet - I really love the tea pot thing going on with her.

hippty hop- she reminds me of spring,bunnies and pastel eggs

lofty- shes so yellow and is the highest flyer of ponyland so cool

posey - shes out there gardening and I love that.

ribbon- shes sooo blue and I love that white ribbon she wears.

scrumptious- shes my summertime group pony I love watermelon so good I get it year round. :)

skippty doo- shes so bright green its neat she loves to skip and I wonder if shes friends with hopscotch??

surprise - she was my first favorite and her baby was cute as buttons. I still love them both.I still wish I would of kept my childhood ponies of them.

taffy- she is the only one I have deflocked her flocking was super thin. She still looks nice without the flocking.

twist - whats not to love about her for me? she is preztels and they are yummy. Her colors remind me of G3 round and round.

wind whistler - I still love the cartoon wind whistler too. I think shes so cute. Im sure her blue would be so brilliant deflocked but I never do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal