collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I Bring You More G5 News  (Read 9297 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: I Bring You More G5 News
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 06:20:51 PM »
Oh no.... I was excited when I heard about the 2D series because I thought it would be in the artstyle that a lot of the merch and the advent calendar used. This is awful. What did they do to Hitch's head?? I do appreciate that Sunny's alicorn form wasn't permanent, but I wish the same could be said for the rainbow streak in her mane. It works in the alicorn form, but as an earth pony, she looks overdesigned. It's also sad to see the movie cast isn't returning for this series. I expected it for Sunny's and Hitch's VAs, but not for Izzy. Kimiko Glenn was in Orange is the New Black and Centaurworld, after all. Oh well, atleast the 3D series still sounds promising. Plus, the Polly Pony Pockets are cute. I am on board with SweetLemons, though. Where's our brushables? :(

I wouldn't say she looks over designed. Plenty of older earth ponies have 3 or 4 stripes in their hair. It's better then the overused hot pink/purple. At least one has 5, and one has 6.

Post Merge: February 17, 2022, 06:21:50 PM

omg good catch LadyM! That totally IS Posey! :O

But um yeah, I'm with LAW on this one, I'm gonna pass. My other collections are high-fiving each other and going "hooray, more money to spend on us!" :P Really not a fan of that art style at all, eesh...

Well that's one way to put a positive spin on this.  :satisfied:

Nice to see Posey making her return.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 06:32:09 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Shiverdam

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 07:49:28 PM »
Ugh. Why aren't ponies allowed to look like ponies anymore? Y'know, like horses? EQUINES?? They look like brachycephalic.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature by starscout
she/her they/them
Will sell soul for Oakly the Moose
Soul has been sold, MOOSE ACQUIRED

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2022, 07:59:37 PM »
Ugh. Why aren't ponies allowed to look like ponies anymore? Y'know, like horses? EQUINES?? They look like brachycephalic.

I don't know?  :shrug: :sad: At least we have basic fun.

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2022, 08:28:35 PM »
Wow. They really did it. They made an MLP artstyle that looks worse than Pony Life. :X.

What's with Hasbro's obsession with making ponies look strung out?  Not to mention how eye-bleedingly oversaturated the colors are. 

Why does Hitch have a human nose on a flat face instead of a snout? And umm.. pony legs don't work like that....

I honestly don't mind the so-called "CalArts" style, I think shows like Steven Universe, SVTFOE, and Gravity Falls make it work well with their own unique art directions. This just looks poorly done and like a cheap imitation of what Hasbro thinks is popular now. 

I honestly drew better ponies when I was 13.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2022, 10:42:42 PM »
The art style looks like something a 2nd grader drew so I'm not impressed at all with it and won't be wasting any time watching it.

The "Pony Pocket" sets I will reserve judgement on until I see them in person.  I haven't collected anything from G5 as of yet because of space issues and being generally unimpressed with the toyline.  I mean, the larger "styling size" ones are okay (hate the "regular" sized ones--they look like Happy Meal toys) but as I don't have a ton of space, I'd rather reserve the space I do have for G1s, which I prefer as I grew up with them.  But maybe some tiny ones might be able to fit in with some of the Cutie Mark Crews I have on a tiny shelf if they are cute in person...

MLP Merch says they are called Mini World Magic and they are inspired by the "Tell Your Tale" series.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 10:49:49 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2022, 07:18:49 AM »
I wonder if Petites, Tiny Tins, and Blindbags will fit in the Polly Pony Pocket playsets? I've never owned Polly Pocket or Mighty Max, so idk how big the figures are?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2022, 07:46:32 AM »
Petite ponies are closest in size!  They can fit in a Polly Pocket case (at least the bigger compacts) but due to being horse-shaped instead of person-shaped, and having a wider base, they can't interact with a lot of features (sitting in chairs, riding the elevators, fitting on couches, etc.)

(This set isn't real Polly Pocket, it's a modern imitator, but I think the dolls are the same size as original Polly.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2022, 07:50:03 AM »
Petite ponies are closest in size!  They can fit in a Polly Pocket case (at least the bigger compacts) but due to being horse-shaped instead of person-shaped, and having a wider base, they can't interact with a lot of features (sitting in chairs, riding the elevators, fitting on couches, etc.)

(This set isn't real Polly Pocket, it's a modern imitator, but I think the dolls are the same size as original Polly.)

Oh that's cute! Thank you Lady M.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2022, 08:35:03 AM »
I'm tired of the "CalArts" bean mouth style, too. I'm not usually one to complain about it but it's getting really old, especially that damn bean cheek head shape. It just looks weird on ponies. :/ The style itself isn't inherently bad, I just miss when there was more variety in art styles for cartoons.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2022, 08:52:57 AM »
I see that they've got several new toys in the Polly pocket sets. Hopefully they'll get normal sized toys too. With hair.

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2022, 11:54:00 AM »
I think my 6-year-old has a more aesthetic-looking art style than this. I'm not interested in any of this stuff...guess I'll pass until the next generation rolls around and someone else is designing it.

Offline babymoondust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2022, 12:32:19 PM »

I was just thinking... imagining an MLP collector in the 80s looking at these images of what MLP looks like now.
Would they even guess that they're ponies?!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2022, 02:05:19 PM »
I'm tired of the "CalArts" bean mouth style, too. I'm not usually one to complain about it but it's getting really old, especially that damn bean cheek head shape. It just looks weird on ponies. :/ The style itself isn't inherently bad, I just miss when there was more variety in art styles for cartoons.
It doesn't even really use bean mouth though, I mean... it kind of does in places, but not as much as other shows.  Also, bean mouth isn't CalArts, I mean technically nothing is, unless it outright came from that location - it's basically just used to describe whatever style whoever is speaking doesn't like (not saying you're doing that, but it's what people do.)

And there's plenty of variety in cartoons, pretty much everything I see has it's own style - the only similarity is is when they are using the same kind of art style, and even then, they usually tend to look different from each other, and have their own identity.  Also, most decades that I've seen (going as far back as the 80s, but it may be even further) had specific styles that could at least be cherry picked as "looking the same", and today's animation is no different - there's stuff that can be compared, but there is, and always will be variety.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2022, 02:36:54 PM »
The mouth looks pretty beany to me.

Also note that I put CalArts in quotes there... to convey that it's the usual moniker for such a style. Never said I approve of the nickname myself.

It's true there's always been trends in cartoons, but the bean mouth one is a pretty pervasive one and it's one I'm getting sick of.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2022, 02:45:20 PM »
CalArts is a very popular term in the cartoon lexicon now. Gonna be hard to get it out of people.

The YouTube series should have at least 70 episodes according to a Kid screen article: https://kidscreen.com/2022/02/18/hasbro-saddles-up-new-my-little-pony-content/

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal