collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help me restore my Nirvana Spanish Starflower  (Read 743 times)

Offline CrashieCorbashie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
Help me restore my Nirvana Spanish Starflower
« on: February 16, 2022, 02:54:56 PM »
First, a little backstory: I went thrifting yesterday and I found the Spanish variant of Starflower, or as she's known in Spanish - Estrella (she has no country mark btw). She's not in abysmal shape, but also not great either. Here's the link to a post I made yesterday with more info and pictures of her in the condition she was found in: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,402807.0.html.

I decided I should wash her a little bit, so I rinsed her in warm water and brushed her with dish soap and regular soap using an old toothbrush (I was careful not to scrub any factory paint off of her). On a Polish Facebook group people recommended I follow Retro Geek Crafts restorations for her clean up and restoration, but as of now the only things I did to her following Retro Geek Crafts is that I removed her tail and separated her head from her body and washed her with soap and then after that removed some marks with acetone. I also washed her mane and tail with water and conditioner.

Now I turn to you. Knowing that she's a Nirvana pony, I want to be particularly careful with her.

:rainbow: Her first problem is that she has yellowed over the years and parts of her look greener than they should. What I saw Retro Geek Crafts do is cover the pony with peroxide, masking off the factory painted areas with masking tape and covering the hair with aluminum foil/masking tape and then putting the pony under UV light for the yellowness to disappear. The staining is best seen on her horn, back and front leg.

:rainbow: Second of all, she has a couple of small marks that acetone couldn't remove, along with quite a few pink not removable marks, mainly on her hears, hooves, eyelids and a little bit on her horn and back (also some stars are that color too, is this a factory thing or is it also made with the marker by someone else?). I saw Retro Geek Crafts remove those with peroxide too.

:rainbow: The third and arguably the biggest problem is the fact that the orange part of her mane along with like 4 strands of the pink hair are cut shorther than the rest of the mane. Should I reroot this part? If so, what kind of hair would be most suitable for the reroot? And should I glue it from the inside when rerooting? If so, what kind of glue should I use to do that? Or do you think I should just leave the hair as is? I am leaning to do a reroot but I want to know what you all think.

:rainbow: Another problem is her symbol. It's very worn off and it needs fixing. How should I go about it? What kind of glue should I use for the glitter to stick to it? Should I seal it in anyway afterward? Also, there are scratches on it. I plan to just leave them as they are (she has some other very minor chips that are not a problem) but there is dirt in it making it noticable. I hope that will disappear once (or if) I treat it with peroxide.

:rainbow: Next problem are the eyes. There is a little bit of her eyelash missing and the paint is a little worn off on her pupils and on her iris. This is a very minor issue tho and Idk if I'll fix that. Retro Geek Crafts uses acrylic paints for it, but I'm not sure if I should seal those touch ups with Mr. Super Clear or something? Or even spray the eyes with it before the touch up AND after? Or just leave it without any sealant?

:rainbow: The last problem is her loose head. It wobbles and I refrain from glueing it down tbh, because I want to have access to her head if I need to. What do I do about it? I have no clue about this one.

Do you guys think I should proceed with the reroot and the peroxide treatment? Do you recommend I use different materials from the ones I want to? I'd love to hear all your advice!

Here are all the photos showing her defects. It was hard to capture the yellowness. Also, for anyone wondering, I separated the cut down hair from the rest. Also also, imgur turned around the images, sorry bout that :dizzy:

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Help me restore my Nirvana Spanish Starflower
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 08:27:52 AM »
Ah, poor Starflower, her childhood owner must have loved her a lot.

* The loose head, it can be a "thing" with Spanish ponies, that the head and body don't sit well together. I personally would leave it OR add a touch of super glue in once place to keep her head on and looking neater.

* The cut hair strands, I would leave that as well, you won't really notice it too much when her mane is washed and tamed.

* The rubbed eye lashes and poor appearance of the eyes is pretty typical of Spanish ponies :) it is one of the features that tells you she is Spanish :)

* The symbols ~ what a neat find! I have not seen NC/Spain Starflower with glittery symbols before (even though I knew she must exist), she is really quite hard to find. The Second Edition rainbows got at least two releases, one set have metallic painted symbols and the others have glitter. Take a look at the Spain section in the nirvana gallery;

https://pinkkittywinks.wixsite.com/mlparenagallery/spain

* I have not tried sun fading or UV fading with peroxide, so I am not sure how it would work on a Spanish ponies. You can always try regular sun fading to start with (depending on your location, if you get enough sun).

Here is my Spain/NC Starflower with metallic painted symbols.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal