collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I am here to document SHENANIGANS. (No, not the g3 pony.)  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: I am here to document SHENANIGANS. (No, not the g3 pony.)
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2022, 12:44:48 PM »
It reminds me of the time I was at a toy fair and this vendor had a bunch of really common ponies lined up on the table at something like £10-£15 apiece. We're going back 15 years and these were lSunlight and Peachy and such. Under the table was a box of 'damaged' ones they were selling for 30p each. One of which was Spanish Strawberry Fair/Sugarberry...

I guess it's not as bad as being told rubbish by a stallholder about pony rarity, but let's just say it was a well spent 30p that day.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Heelys

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Member of the Aquacadets
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2022, 01:21:53 PM »
It reminds me of the time I was at a toy fair and this vendor had a bunch of really common ponies lined up on the table at something like £10-£15 apiece. We're going back 15 years and these were lSunlight and Peachy and such. Under the table was a box of 'damaged' ones they were selling for 30p each. One of which was Spanish Strawberry Fair/Sugarberry...

I guess it's not as bad as being told rubbish by a stallholder about pony rarity, but let's just say it was a well spent 30p that day.

omg. My head's a little slow today so my American brain was trying to remember if 30p indicates pounds or pence, but you said they were damaged, so I'm guessing that's...pence?

Like, either way, hell of a story. Good purchase. VERY good purchase.
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2022, 01:25:09 PM »

omg. My head's a little slow today so my American brain was trying to remember if 30p indicates pounds or pence, but you said they were damaged, so I'm guessing that's...pence?

Like, either way, hell of a story. Good purchase. VERY good purchase.

It's about 50 cents. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Heelys

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2022, 01:28:23 PM »
Thank you, I like to think I spaced on that bc I'm a little sick, but maybe I just didn't know :P come on, me! you've traveled in Europe! Get it together!
Gender? I hardly know 'er!  :biggrin: | PM me about G1 custom or OOAK World's Smallest commissions! ;)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2022, 03:29:32 PM »
You'd think i'd remember stuff like this a lot better than I do. I'd love to see a video essay about this sort of thing actually. It's definitely the most egregious example of something that's more common now among every day people who know pony collecting exists. Right now there's a Crumpet fakie on Poshmark that's priced at $30...>_> Soooooo annoying.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2022, 09:50:50 AM »
For non-ponypeople, every plastic version of a pony/horse is a MLP.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Rika_of_Thunder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2022, 10:14:20 AM »
I remember ages ago there was a G3.5 rainbow dash plush on Amazon listed for 1 million dollars by a seller that legitimately thought it was worth that much, i even managed to dig up a photo from the original thread (photobucket watermark thankfully doesnt obscure the price lmao)

Offline Heelys

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2022, 10:17:41 AM »
I highly doubt that they believed what they were shilling.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2022, 10:43:02 AM »
I said it on the other thread about the rarest ponies, but the sad thing is that we talk about these cases of people outside of MLP high pricing ponies, actually as pony collectors we're mostly the ones who jack up the prices for each other.

We don't do it on purpose, it just kind of happens over time. And the more it happens, the more people see collectors selling x pony for x price, the more that pony becomes cemented in at a higher price. I've been thinking about this especially with some of the crazy Mimic prices over the last couple of years...and the way that some Nirvana prices have remained jawdroppingly high.

We complain about and laugh at the people at markets or on websites who have silly prices and wrong information. But some ID websites still have wrong information and we still pay silly prices among ourselves...both of which are more trusted than the outside people. At the end of the day, we don't buy those silly priced market stall ponies. But we do buy stuff from one another.

I'm getting philosophical but it feels like what we should really be examining is how much collectors have inflated pony prices simply by getting caught in bidding wars with one another and creating sudden demand as certain ponies go in and out of fashion...

Because Rapunzel DOES sell for 1k$ quite a lot. And even giving time and inflation, she was never selling for anywhere close to that amount when I started collecting. I know 10k is ludicrous. But I've always thought that 900-1k$ for any pony is also crazy :/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:44:49 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2022, 11:29:18 AM »
I said it on the other thread about the rarest ponies, but the sad thing is that we talk about these cases of people outside of MLP high pricing ponies, actually as pony collectors we're mostly the ones who jack up the prices for each other.

We don't do it on purpose, it just kind of happens over time. And the more it happens, the more people see collectors selling x pony for x price, the more that pony becomes cemented in at a higher price. I've been thinking about this especially with some of the crazy Mimic prices over the last couple of years...and the way that some Nirvana prices have remained jawdroppingly high.

We complain about and laugh at the people at markets or on websites who have silly prices and wrong information. But some ID websites still have wrong information and we still pay silly prices among ourselves...both of which are more trusted than the outside people. At the end of the day, we don't buy those silly priced market stall ponies. But we do buy stuff from one another.

I'm getting philosophical but it feels like what we should really be examining is how much collectors have inflated pony prices simply by getting caught in bidding wars with one another and creating sudden demand as certain ponies go in and out of fashion...

Because Rapunzel DOES sell for 1k$ quite a lot. And even giving time and inflation, she was never selling for anywhere close to that amount when I started collecting. I know 10k is ludicrous. But I've always thought that 900-1k$ for any pony is also crazy :/

Yeah but when they do go high there's often a reason to seller missed that doesn't apply to their pony. Like trying to sell a dirty haircut pony for as much as one that is so pristine it looks like it was just removed from it's packaging yesterday. Or seeing the handmade plush go for ridiculous prices and expect a normal factory plush to go for the same amount.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2022, 01:00:15 PM »
True, but you're missing my point :) I'm not saying that it's ok that ridiculous prices happen from people who don't have a clue. I just think it's interesting that the prices within the community have gradually gone up and up over the years and that's more likely where collectors will actually spend the money.

Thinking particularly of the Glowing Magic/GnS set, whose prices have gone insane now for literally no reason except that collectors kept paying and charging more for them over a period of time...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2022, 09:13:35 PM »
True, but you're missing my point :) I'm not saying that it's ok that ridiculous prices happen from people who don't have a clue. I just think it's interesting that the prices within the community have gradually gone up and up over the years and that's more likely where collectors will actually spend the money.

Thinking particularly of the Glowing Magic/GnS set, whose prices have gone insane now for literally no reason except that collectors kept paying and charging more for them over a period of time...

I feel the same way about the TAF ponies namely Munchy,  Yumyum and Nightglider. They used to be around 75ish when I started collecting few years ago, now they're over 150!

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2022, 09:37:34 PM »
This feels kind of that time a lady at a flea market was trying to insist and then argume with me that Baby Chucky Cheese Pony was worth more if it was signed. Or trying to tell me how much other ponies she had to sell were worth. And this was hummm, probably 20 years ago.

Signed???? By who? Charles Entertainment Cheese??????

Tbf I would totally pay more for a pony signed by Chuck E Cheese.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2022, 02:11:23 AM »
maybe they just needed money and were a little too aggressive about it
I agree. I find the tone of it all really cringey and it makes me a bit sad! Like they were genuinely delusional. There is a tiny possibility the person was a troll doing it just to see what people would say.
it irritates me when people treat collectibles like pure money making opportunities
People still ask me whether I'm going to sell my pony collection and make a fortune. In a cost benefit analysis 1. I like them and 2. it takes a lot of work to sell them and keep going to the post office etc. So unless I end up enemployed with a baby (you never know) I'm not going to sell them.
a lot of people collect because they just like ponies
Most people I know!
this story is reminding me of that time my old landlord saw my pony collection and asked me if that was my retirement plan
Heh, that sounds typical!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2022, 02:58:23 AM »
Probably this makes me odd, but a signed pony is entirely worthless to me. It's a pony with scribbles on it, thus wrecked. The idea of anyone signing a G1, no matter who they are, makes me shudder and cringe inside.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal